Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Galarox posted:

Thanks for this suggestion who-ever it was (I think it was Gorf)

from left to right Sean tracy, Calix Reneau, Tony Z, The Crobbles, The succubus, Matt Sherman, Dave Haddock

Oh man!

:five::five::five::five::five:

Hilarious and surely this’ll prompt some laughs at CIG. Sandi’s the oddity since she’s the only one who gets to tell Chris “no” without fear but her inclusion is still great since this one was born to fly.

Forrest, Bender and Lando dodged the bullets here and are no doubt grateful!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: Batgirl’s State of the Game, January 13th

(This is the longest Batgirl SoTG episode I’ve ever seen. Forgive me if I dispense of the first half hour pretty briskly, there is so much here not worth covering and I’m going giving that latter part extra attention.)

It’s over an hour and a half and one of the first things out of her mouth is a statement of confidence that 2018 is going to be an amazing year for Star Citizen.

She starts things off hopping in her much-beloved Mustang and is off in search of adventures, the sort that await a courier accepting a pickup and delivery job a half hour out of town. It’s a riveting experience even for a viewer, just watching her navigate through nothingness for minutes at a time as she races towards the dark side of a barren moon to pick up a box.

Alas, in her nascent encounters with emergent gameplay, a plot complication ensues. Almost a half hour into her mission, the lurking horror slowly, inexorably dawns upon her. She brought the wrong ship! You can’t haul cargo in the Mustang, Batgirl!

She cuts back to Olisar, gets kicked off the terminal a couple times trying to get a ship that can actually carry cargo. Then does the whole corridors to ship to jump to descend to the moon thing again. We are 40 minutes in to the video now and still nothing resembling gameplay has transpired, just lots and lots of monologing. But as she approaches the 40 minute mark, things pick up. She gives her opinions about Pay To Win, then discusses her fury and grief when Bensdays with Batgirl was cancelled. Apparently others complained that Batgirl was getting preferential treatment from CIG via direct access with the Master of Ships.

—> 44:44!
:chanpop:

She has found the black box and begins the long jog back to her craft. Futzing ensues until she figures out how to put it down.

She decides to return to the shipwreck and explore. What’s this? Another box?!

Well it looks like this 45 minute long fetch quest sans combat or adventure par excellence just got doubly fun! She picks up yet another box, begins the trek back to her ship, decides to retrieve yet another box!

Welcome my friends to a little thing we call a game loop of emergent gameplay.

“This might take a while folks — sorry about that... but this is FUN!”

Moments later she explains that she parked far away from the shipwreck because she loves walking towards her ship. So get comfortable because she’s going to be doing that marathon for a small eternity a half dozen times.

(This is an animated gif which may or may not load. If not, here’s a link to her 22 minutes condensed to 30 seconds...)

Yet while she performs this ritual of the highest fidelity mundanity ever unleashed upon the world, she strikes up a conversation with her viewers.

51 minutes in, “So tell me folks... what is the most exciting part of 3.0 for you?” You’re playing it, Batgirl. Oh, but then she asks what the most disappointing aspect of 3.0 has been for viewers, and proceeds to answer the question herself.

Batgirl, the Heretic posted:

“To me the most disappointing thing was that they dumped it out in a state of not being done. You’re telling everybody how amazing this is... how utterly perfect it is, this game, and then you’re saying ‘It’s in development’ and people don’t hear the second part.”

She talks about those like her who have long supported the game out of love of Chris Roberts, ”Anything Chris makes turns to gold. Well not always.”

And then, as if she is being tested by the gods of irony, she attempts to lower the gold cargo box she’s been carrying and watches it clip through the floor of her ship.

“Batgirl“ posted:

What the hell?! It fell right through the ship!”

She goes beneath the ship to retrieve it, musing about the timing of her Chris Roberts praise. She picks it up, carries it inside, and this time it stays. Back to the grind!

Boredom returns for several minutes. She searches further, hoping she might find a dragonfly. Chris did during his Gamescom 2016 playthrough, so it’s not that big a stretch. Then again, do you really think Chris would give away that which he could sell?

Well, this post is already long enough so I’ll spare you too much additional detail on Batgirl’s big mission. Here, an hour and twenty minutes in, is the final punchline. Voiced with two different accents and three different personalities.

I don’t want to give anything away. Sometimes, despite enormous effort and endurance on your part, you can’t.

”This is becoming a nightmare. A nightmare of futility.”

Not one to give up without a fight, Batgirl tries yet again, leaving the station and returning, traipsing through the corridors to once again plead with the NPC who can compensate her for what was surely two hours of her time.

But he’s got other words for this backer, and in many ways they’re about the truest words ever uttered about the 6 years in development $180 million pre-Alpha.

”Hey, take your poo poo.”

And that, dear friends, is The State of the Game.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 18, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Experience excitement like "Finding place the procedural generation hosed up" in the new NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CONTENT 42!!

“I think you can fit all of The Elder Scrolls Arena in there.”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

lazorexplosion posted:

Intelligent context sensitive AI that knows how to pick the perfect response to the situation! Where do I buy in!

You can join the adventure at RobertsSpaceIndustries.com, and when you do, please use Referral Code T4KE-Y0UR-5H1T to get us both a special bonus!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Guard Frequency #197: (9:00) “(Ortwin’s two-sided dealings) not to the level of criminal, but almost to the level of fraud...”

Their brief, semi-speculative take on the Crytek/CIG drama is not likely to win the hearts and minds of the Montoyas out there. Somebody needs to give GF the memo that after CIG’s reply, Crytek became Cry-Rekt.

:smuggo:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG is selling a subscriber only mousepad that's straight up just a bunch of untextured models.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Whitleys-Guide-Mousepad-Subscriber-Special/Whitley-s-Guide-Mousepad-Subscriber-Special

This can't be real. I'm being tricked. Is this real? This can't be real. $16 w/ $15 shipping.

That would make a great toilet training pad for a large animal.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

I really enjoyed this post. It's such a well written tale of tedium and creeping despair.

I probably enjoy Batgirl’s videos more than most people. Batgirl, like Clifford, fits neatly in the Evangelist camp and while I think they’re a little, uh, “batty”, they also seem pretty guileless. I don’t understand how it’s possible for Batgirl to retain the hopes she has for the project in the face of what she’s seen and experienced. It was a little easier to understand in the prior years because her “friends” Sandi and Ben gave her privileged access and she reciprocated with softball questions and an abundance of praise.

Yet Ben seems marginalized if not gone completely, and Sandi hasn’t given a new interview in quite some time.(Wise move, really, given how many regrettable things she’s said in past interviews.) Her “friends” have shut her out every bit as sharply and unexpectedly as her NPC mission giver did in SoTG. I’d assumed maybe some distance from CIG might clear the fog but no, she_still_trusts_in_cig and believes in the game.

Depending where you stand it’s either heartbreaking or hilarious that her video ends with her still hanging on to the Cargo she scored in a half hour of planet jogging. It can’t be redeemed yet can’t be discarded, either. It’s empty, pointless, a gag gift consolation prize for her time lost to a parody of a gameplay experience, yet she’s attached to it anyway. She’s assigned the meaning and worth to it that the game failed to provide or reward and I’d not be surprised if she retains it as long as persistence will allow. It’s pretty much a symbol of her faith in the dream and like hell is she going to let anyone take that away. (At least until some server wipe does.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

MilesK posted:

Seriously though, fire the lore people. I think twice a week lore posts since september 2012 is a little much.

AP posted:

There's an old video of batgirl on a stream with (from memory) Michael Morlan and Wingman, they hinted at the rumours of what was really going on at Austin. This is around the time Morlan was not so subtly taking digs at CIG with his sock puppet videos after Austin lost the power struggle with LA.

There's no way she hasn't known poo poo has been hosed for years and she still investigated the possibility of getting a job there.

Yeah I remember seeing that, and you’re right, at the time she seemed more in sync with the Austin folk. I assume once that crew was out and the flag fully rose in Santa Monica that Ben was trying to keep continuity with folks like Batgirl and the door was opened to regular contact with Sandi and occasionally Chris.

But whatever lucidity Batgirl had back then took the backseat to hope in the years after. Maybe a starry-eyed deification of Chris was part of that or maybe the fact that money just kept coming into CIG’s coffers by the truckloads offered reassurance that despite the drama in Austin, the dream was still very much alive. She had other emotional attachments during that time that gave some continuity through the turmoil, too. Her fondness for Chelsea as her Concierge liaison was very real and enduring (to Sandi’s visible annoyance during that interview that birthed “It filters from the top.”)

Her faith may have been tested during the Wingman drama but she’s nothing if not hopeful about the future for the game. She found new people to believe in (who’ve abandoned her), new hope in the game (that consistently fails her) and bought a lot more ships to fill out her hangar (though many haven’t delivered yet.)

The thing is, is CIG can avoid the hard crash and deliver the spectacular muddle, a second life in space that puts the “B.Y.O. Fun” onus on players, it’ll probably be Batgirl’s heaven even if it looks like Purgatory from the outside. Being trapped in a high fidelity / low mechanic sim will still be sweet since she’s playing as much out of her attachment to ships as anything else. I mean she turned a half hour of box retrieval into a thrill adventure and savored the sight of approach her Cutlass over a half dozen times just to drop cargo in it. That’s a pretty low threshold for meaningful gameplay but if CIG can deliver a stable version of that and fix the missions so she can earn some scratch, I think she’d be more than ready to make a second life out of crap every bit as mundane and be thrilled doing it.

She gotta believe, if you know what I mean.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 17, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Possible but Batgirl was actually part of the rebellion for a time and even had a news spot on the "gently caress you Sandi for killing wingman's hangar, we'll restart it under a different name" show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZwrThd6rvs&t=464s

I think she was sympathetic with the rebellion, but she wasn’t exactly drawing lines in the sand with CIG LA. It was but a month after her Galactic Inquiry appearance that she got her second big Sandi interview, and didn’t prove a hostile interviewer.

quote:

To me, there's no way the core group that left CIG Austin weren't all bitching about every skeleton in the CIG closet and she was involved enough to be tapped into the new show. I'm not saying she's a horrible person but she obviously made a decision at some point to ignore the major issues and attach herself to the winning side, while making videos and attempting to raise money for new ships/camera equipment for herself.

I agree with this and I’m not entirely sure what we’re disagreeing about, although it’s funny to be this far into the weeds debating our nuanced takes on the enduring impact of political chaos at CIG on one fan/streamer.

Batgirl’s flirtations with rebellion were short-lived and lacked the courage of conviction even then. She was a lifer before and after. Her deepest loyalties were then and are now to Star Citizen and her streaming dreams.

(Originally I had put together a bunch of links to other videos she’d made around that time for more context but then I realized “There’s no way AP doesn’t know all of this. I know he does. I must be misunderstanding his point or he mine on some other basis...” So I removed it.)

So if the question is whether Batgirl has been an opportunist at times over the last several years, my own answer would be yes. But if the question is whether she actually lost faith in the bigger Dream after hearing scuttlebutt on the ugliness of the LA/Austin schism, my opinion is no.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

I think it's just a very minor difference between us. I think as the leader of an organisation called "Addicts Anonymous" with the tag line "Rehab is not an option!", with all the advantages she's had to find out the truth and with what I'd consider a reasonable responsibility to look after her membership, it's a complete failure on her part to act as she should have. Making money from the Citizens is bad enough via views etc, but I remember one fundraiser for camera equipment, I'm sure there were more, all while soft balling questions to CIG as part of their marketing machine.

It's of no surprise to me that's she's really pissed her interviews with :lesnick: have been binned. I guess I just think she's smarter than you do and I really don't think anyone who's spoken in private to Wingman and Morlan back in 2014 could still believe the dream in 2017. However that's probably touching on quirks of my nature as I've been attempting to inform people here since late 2013 of my concerns and spent more than a sane amount of time providing links to evidence etc, something she's being doing the exact opposite of.

Oh okay now I see where you’re coming from.

1) SCAA - I hadn’t really thought too much about her org and whatever responsibilities she might have to that. It barely seems real to me. But that’s a valid point.

2) MOTIVE/INTELLIGENCE - Here too, I’ll admit I’ve not given much thought to the possibility that a highly calculating alternative version of Batgirl might exist. One who takes as given the project is doomed yet benefits from pretending otherwise and cranking out material reinforcing the same. Perhaps that’s possible.

It’s my belief is that we all have GPUs of varying processing power upon which we render our delusions. Even the reasonable person experiences an Augmented Reality version as they look out from behind their eyeballs at the world around them, little delusions popping up here and there and distorting their understanding of the world and people and events moving around them.

In the case of Batgirl, I assume she’s got 1080TIs running with the SLI bridge and creating a fully immersive Virtual Reality experience all around her. I think the same is true of Chris Roberts. It’s not so much a question of raw intelligence because reasonable objectivity can be found in the simple-minded just as brilliant minds can construct convincing delusions and be held prison in them. Whatever her intelligence levels, I assume she’s got a high capacity to delude herself and that she prefers that. To varying extents, we all do.

I mean, I like to believe myself a reasonable and objective person and yet here I am in a multi-volley psychological assessment of a minor personality with a parasitic attachment to a major catastrophe. It’s crazy, really, yet here I am writing about objectivity even as the little OCD arcana nerd in my head is running around yelling, “Hold on, hold on — there’s that, that, that Batgirl / Wingman interview from back then where he talks about...”

It’s nuts, really.

Anyway I now understand where we differ on this point. We nuanced lunatics.

This is going to revolutionize the way she doesn’t play games.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 18, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Yeah, I'm just killing time till I get to laugh at Ortwin tomorrow.*

*Hopefully.

I’m excited because whatever Skadden dispenses will be measured back to them tenfold in fire and fury as they get Cry-Rekt!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

his nibs posted:

lol an hour of ships

The heightened focus on ships over the last month feels more about reducing refund risks than much else. The whole tone of the opening tour feels tense and uncomfortable. Where’s the joy, guys?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Oh no. Even 5200 miles away, one can sense the danger she's in being a winsome young lass with a marketing title.

Run, Arianne!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Oh Paul

I :lol:ed at his delivery. Poor bastard.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Yet another ship design needing revision so that the player can actually fit in it...

Come on guys, it’s year six. Ship sales are your money printer and presumably your core competence. Can you not add a design requirement earlier in your vaunted pipeline? Before the modeling starts?

“Player must fit in ship.”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

no_recall posted:

OK, wow that ATV was beyond horrible. Did CIG's budget for ATV went to poo poo?

Other little things:

1) Sandi not listed as Producer (I’m not sure if she is on episodes she doesn’t co-host but I was surprised.)

2) Ben, the “Master of Ships”, is a no show, and only gets brief mention as a lot of other employees talk about “where ships come from.” Looking pretty certain now that the “save the Wing Commander animated cels from their pending destruction” GoFundMe campaign was his “Friends of Chris” exit package from full time employment. He got the full Ladyman sendoff so probably can’t complain.

3) Chris, just as pleased as punch as he congratulates himself on the realization of his childhood dream... to sell lovingly detailed ships, ships that have absolutely everything you could possibly imagine, in a game with absolutely crap all to do. He has no shame that he got no game. It’s incrddible.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

So a producer from CIG got hired away by CSE for Camelot Unchained (and CSE just landed a big investment.) Can’t tell who the new hire is, though.

“MassivelyOP” posted:

You’ve already seen the first stages of that, as CSE’s brought in a new producer (fresh off Star Citizen, incidentally), a new community manager, and an animator-and-a-half in recent weeks, in addition to engineers (he’s particularly proud of the animator, as CSE sought new blood on that task in response to donor feedback). The company’s headhunters now have clearance to go ham on building out both studios to capacity to speed up the timeline (within reason, of course; Jacobs is well aware that not everything scales perfectly just by throwing people and money at it).

quote:

Beta when? Launch when?
Jacobs told me his leads are in final discussion on “when” with the new producer right now. Expect the announcement in the next few weeks and beta soon. How soon? “Sooner, rather than later, this year.” It’s close. And when it hits beta, it will be a real beta, so don’t expect a soft launch or early access/pre-alpha shenanigans. “We don’t want to go down that path,” he told me. “We’re still going to beta one the exact same way we said we were going to do it so that people will actually have fun and actually want to come in and test.”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Interesting, they don't have many US based producers, I can only think of Jake Ross in Austin. Even the producers in the UK like to keep a very low profile, the UK SQ42 producer even went on a year long, around the world holiday.

I guess Eric Davis used to be a Senior Producer. He was promoted to Director of the LA Studio last summer, I guess. Sometime between May and August.

Others here may have realized that already. My eyes are bad and I guess I missed the title change on an embarrassing number of Burndowns.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Selling the F8 Lightning is one of my old signs of the end times, an absolute top tier sale that would beat absolutely anything else including the previous sale recorder holder the Vanguard bomber.

Also I've said before that when things start to get really bad I bet Sandi Gardiner bails, as she's got no interest in pc games and the kind of attention she'd get as part of a failing project isn't the type of normal attention I believe she'd want. One week missing from ATV likely just means she's on location filming something, or appearing in some theatre somewhere, but if this continues....

It was a slight surprise not to see her get Producer credit on the recent ATV. She was getting it as recently as December 14th.

It’s probably too early to wonder if she started Operation: Gardiner’s Bugout! after the Crytek lawsuit was public. Being such an all-important Co-Founder of the company, she’s got a lot more exposure, a lot more to lose.

But you’re probably right. She’s probably just off shooting more material destined for another figurative cutting room floor, then heading on yet another one of those #dontcallitavacation outings with cast mates...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

I'd just like to give a shout out to all the members of Foundry 42 that will be hitting :f5: on the thread today.

Stick two pens in a mug on your desk during the next ATV video production taking place on your floor to say hi.

In case of emergency, use sticky notes to communicate. Don’t worry, we’ll find it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Easy to call something when it's already plastered all over pacer.

I'm up way too drat early for a Friday. = (

You are, man.

Did you make any calls about today’s proceedings? I missed them if you did.

Derek’s obviously gone full Harold Camping with his. I assume the MoMA take is more muted? You can describe it using Nothingburger metaphors if you want. “Today’s filings are just sesame seeds on the bun of...”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

You pay for two patties and they give you one.

And they discover after they’ve cooked it it’s way too big to fit between the buns so it gets sent back to the kitchen and they start over. Every. drat. Time.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hobold posted:

gently caress, derek was right about something.

Quick, how can moma spin this into a win for him?

Gotta come up with something for him to use before he hurts himself trying.

My first action upon opening the pastebin was to search “Ortwin”. It produced 2 hits.

MoMA might want to bring Fire and Fury on that point, because those of us hoping for The Ortpocalypse pretty much got The NothingBurgermeister.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sickening posted:

Whoever called this a giant nothing burger was right.

They called it.

MoMA was actually talking about the worst case scenario being a settlement on the order of “a $10 million Nothingburger”. It was :smuggo: + :lol: poetry, really.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Somebody with mega Google fu skills needs to dig out Chris’s old rambling asides about possibly licensing their heavily modified engine to other parties. I’m pretty sure that was a brief Croberts fever dream from a couple years back, and I’m not the only person who remembers it that way.

The theorycrafters were still running wild with that lunacy in the months leading up to the lawsuit. But I think Chris kicked that off with some ill-chosen bloviating way back when, I just haven’t found the source yet.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

“I’m being told there is no Squadron 42 that is separate...”

You are an idiot being fed revisionist lies by anonymous deluded Zealots on a YouTube stream, French.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Let’s let Star Citizen expert and enthusiast Erris Bowtie set the record straight on this point.

happyhippy posted:

Leonard French isn't that bad.
He plays devils advocate with everything, hes not a SC fanboy.
What is grating about him is that he’s rendering judgments without knowledge of even basic and publicly available history. If it’s news to him that Squadron was for a considerable period pitched and sold as an entirely separate game, he’s pretty drat out of the loop. So why render opinions when you’re that ignorant on the facts?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 19, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

I remember this too - there was talk about open-sourcing their libraries so that the rest of the world could have the performance issues and GPU melting of Star Citizen :lol:

That period that was "peak Chris Roberts fever dreams" was my absolute favourite. Every 10 for the Chairman brought so much gold.

Note to the Skadden paralegal reading this thread...

“The Mission” posted:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to try and track down the aforementioned public (possibly mythic) declaration by the defendant’s founder and chief executive. This won’t be easy, as the man in question has himself muttered, stammered, and rambled more words aloud than are housed in the printed library of Congress.

Yet if you do beat the odds and find the source, well, I hope you like riding the fast track to a Skadden partnership, friend. Are you ready for that?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Batgirl has a new video about the “frustratingly fun” experience she’s having with 3.0.

She apparently had to cut 2.5 hours out of it, the frustrating part, to yield 30 minutes of fun. And by “fun”, she means performing box deliveries between moons while avoiding all combat because combat really isn’t fun right now.

It’s not worth a full write up, but I get the feeling she might’ve heard a thing or two about the recent thread discussions, because she comes out swinging at the end, even while stating her plans to round up the Enablers for some joint adventures in frustrating fun.

Onward and upwards, Batgirl. You do you!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I struggle to imagine what's compelling someone to maintain their enthusiasm for this shitshow. Is it really just sunk cost fallacy? Is it fear of change? Are they being paid?

She's got your answer right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=1075s

1) It's Alpha, and helping the devs bug test is its own reward.

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=220s

2) She's having boatloads of fun with the CUTLASS!

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=1277s

3) She's in love with her ships and the beauty of this game.

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=276s

4) The love (yawn) of the grind, because sometimes you have to get things done... :lol:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Awesome! posted:

why are you doing this to yourself

For the love of the thread man, and the edification of Beer’s perplexed mind.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

At least his hat isn't as loving dumb as last time.

I am reserving judgment until the Honorable Judge Montoya weighs in. I suspect there will be no reversal of his prior findings in this case and that the Plaintiff remains Cry-Rekt!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

PrimeNerd posted:

Where's the Sandi Video of being:
When you need it. :sad:

I got yo back.

Also I honest to God love Dan Gheesling. He is the only person having fun playing the game and he's consistently hilarious.

quote:

DAN (as enthusiastic commander, donner of the shiny gold suit, lord of the WHP): "Look at this, see? Look at how much drag we have going that way. That's just from the de-coupling. So hopefully inertia will.. bring us back to Earth here..."

DAN (imitating the reasonable viewer): "Um, Dan, there's a lot wrong with that statement, both scientifically and factually, what you just said."

Roleplaying as the idiot committed commando works for you, dude. Only a smart guy could make it so funny so often.

Keep doing what you're doing, Dan, defying all odds and actually having fun in the game.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

PC Invasion: Crytek hits back at CIG’s request to dismiss Star Citizen legal case

Posted By: Paul Younger
January 19, 2018

The Crytek vs CIG Star Citizen court documents are still going back and forth, and following CIG’s request that this case is dismissed, Crytek’s lawyers have hit back with a response and it’s firey.

This latest response from Crytek holds no punches and they have outlined clearly in this document why the court should not allow CIG to dismiss this case. The preliminary statement sums it up:

quote:

Defendant’s Motion seeking dismissal and other relief is without merit. Rather, that Motion is a blatant effort to impose delay and burden Crytek as it seels to vindicate its rights under its contract with Defendants and its copyrights.

The facts here are straightforward: Plaintiff Crytek GmbH (“Crytek”) granted Cloud Imperium Games Corp (“CIG”) and Roberts Space Industries Corp (“RSI”) (collectively, “Defendants”) a license to use Crytek’s powerful video game development platform, CryEngine, in the development of Defendant’s video game called “Star Citizen”. Pursuant to that Game License Agreement (the “GLA”), Crytek agreed to provide technical support and know-how to Defendants and licensed CryEngine to Defendants at a discounted rate, in return for certain promises from Defendants.

But after accepting Crytek’s assistance — and after raising record-breaking amounts from video game consumers in a crowdfunding campaign — Defendants began to break their promises to Crytek.
  • Defendants promised that they would develop Star Citizen with CryEngine, not any other development platform. But Defendants now boast that they have breached that promise, and are promoting a competing development platform.

• Defendants promised that they would prominantly display Crytek’s copyright notices and trademarks within Star Citizen and in any marketing materials for Star Citizen. But Defendants have admittedly breached that promise.

• Even though Defendants had licensed Crytek’s technology to develop only one game (Star Citizen) they later separated Star Citizen’s feature “Squadron 42” into a standalone game without a license to use Crytek’s technology in two games

• Defendants promised to provide Crytek with any improvements or bug fixes that they made to CryEngine while developing Star Citizen. Defendants never made a good faith effort to honor that promise.

• Defendants promised that they would maintian the condidentiality of Crytek’s valuable technology, But they published excerpts if Crytek’s source code unilaterally and shared Crytek’s technology with a third-party developer without Crytek’s approval.

Defendants say this action should never have been filed. Indeed, if only they had kept their promises, the action would never have ben filed. But now Crytek seeks to enforce its contractual rights and copyrights. Defendants deny any enforceable obligation to Crytek and move the court to dismiss Crytek’s claim entirely. Defendants’ argument simpy do not withstand scrutiny, and certainly cannot meet the demanding standard required to obtain dismissal of Crytek’s claims as a matter of law. The court should deny Defendants’ Motion and permit Crytek to proceed so that it may vindicate its rights.

The full document is lengthy and goes into more detail citing more references to specific areas of contention with links to forum posts made by CIG and other cases that may set precedent for copyright infringement. Whether the court decides in favour of Crytek remains to be seen, but if this case is heard in court, it’s going to be one to watch because as more documents have appeared the more confusing it has become.

At this stage, it is starting to look like there will be a fight in court which is not good news for CIG. It’s money that would be dripped away to lawyers and not into the game. Backers will not be pleased if this goes further.

Dogeh posted:

I made a thing.
For posterity.
Might come in useful.

That’s her in the meltdown meme.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

PC Invasion pretty much saying that they'll be writing stuff about Space Court. Excellent.

An ace high came out on the flop, and Skadden's suited hand is on for the straight. CIG's comedy lawyer is staring at ten high and a four kicker. Ortwin is in the bathroom. We're all in. Death or glory.

Paul Younger is fighting the good fight and Godspeed to him.

These are such interesting times. Quietly and with few obvious tweening points, the last two years have seen a turnaround in consensus about crowdfunded gaming. Even when the story about a particular project isn’t about Star Citizen, it’s about Star Citizen.

I know very little about Camelot Unchained or Mark Jacobs besides that it’s late. But man, what a refreshing thing to see a guy acknowledging “it’s late, backers SHOULD be mad, it’s on ME to deliver not them to forgive because Miyamoto-san / ‘muh Games Development’ / ‘Diablo 3 took 10 years’”. Maybe he’s a slicker con man but his tone is so starkly contrasted against the duplicitous, revisionist moneygrubbing of the Roberts and Garriott types out there.

This guy is explicitly positioning himself to be on the right side of a future reckoning. The potential collapse of Star Citizen (and lesser giants) is clearly a big concern.

EUROGAMER: Why the people behind crowdfunded Camelot Unchained won't sell spaceships or castles

quote:

"We are getting close to a tipping point…"

By Robert Purchese
19/01/2018

When Camelot Unchained ran out of crowdfunding money, Mark Jacobs did something unusual by today's standards: he put his hand in his own pocket and paid for development himself. Camelot Unchained didn't begin offering houses or castles or spaceships (let's call them horses) for real money, didn't become an intoxicating shopping mall for pledging support. Being delayed was developer City State Entertainment's fault so why should the community foot the bill?

"It hurt," Mark Jacobs told me on the phone. He had already added $2 million of his own to the game's $2.2m Kickstarter tally to get the game made, but that was back in 2013, when Jacobs was talking optimistically about a 2015 Camelot Unchained release. He didn't realise programmers would be like gold dust and near impossible to find; he didn't realise the game's ability system would fail and need rebuilding; and he couldn't predict his wife would battle with breast cancer. $4.5m only took a team of 30 people so far. Something had to be done.

"It hurt my bank account a lot because I wasn't a billionaire or super-rich by any standard," he said. "But look, I made a deal, and I told backers I would do it. It's our fault. It was on us as a development team to deliver the game; we did not. The bottom line is we did not meet what our projections were. I made a choice and it wasn't an easy one: do I honour our commitment to those same people who gave us this chance by not treating them as walking wallets, or not?

"I understand why these other games do it but that was not for me. That's not how I wanted to live my life and run this studio. There were some very strong arguments to be made that if people are willing to spend the money, you should try to get it from them. I don't buy that. I don't. I want to treat gamers the way I want to be treated. There's a better way to do things."

Jacobs' way was to - in a deal only announced yesterday - secure $7.5m to finish Camelot Unchained. "That amount... Even if we didn't get a single other penny from crowdfunded donations, we'd be fine to get this game out," he said. Incidentally, Jacobs has known the investors for decades and nothing operationally will change.

Now, the plan is to do a Camelot Unchained beta this year, with battleground brawls - Saturday night sieges as they're known - from the spring. "We are also shooting for a release in 2019 if - and it's a giant if - we can hire enough programmers," he said. "If we can, I am very confident we can deliver this game in '19. It may be late in '19 but I think we can deliver it."

As it stands, Camelot Unchained looks a long way off. What videos there are resemble technical demonstrations of lots of characters running around in one big field; there's no discernible game, with a shape and direction, on display. But what we're seeing is very important.

The core promise of Camelot Unchained was always to have hundreds - if not thousands - of people fighting in huge three-way wars, with no server crashes and slideshow game performance. The videos show Camelot Unchained partially achieving that. They show players and bots - simulated remote clients - in their hundreds, even thousands, engaging in basic combat with simple spell effects. I remember Dark Age of Camelot falling apart with 300 people fighting - Camelot Unchained once topped 3000.

"Do I think an 800-person battle is doable? Yes, no question about it. Do I think a 1000-person battle is doable? Yes, no question about it. Do I think a 2000-person battle is doable? We've had 2000 bots running around with players and, just as you see in the video [unedited footage from Dragon Con 2017], you can do it.

"No one's been able to do the same thing with either players or bots," he added. "No MMO, none. Not Dark Age of Camelot, not even The Elder Scrolls Online. We have shown our backers that we can do both."

But where is everything else? Camelot Unchained had some big and bold ideas about reinventing typical MMO mechanics. There was the idea for a stealth mechanic based around exploiting another plane (a bit like the Fade in Dragon Age); a magic system where players could combine powers to make, for instance, even bigger ice walls, and then melt the ice walls with fire to create steam, and blow the steam with wind to create a cloud of cover. There was siege gameplay based on a micro-Minecraft block building system, where towers could be brought down by targeting load-bearing sections. None of that can be seen in the videos (although the block-based building has been up and running in the separate Camelot Unchained Building Environment - CUBE - application for a while).

Even with the time-consumingly reworked ability system up and running - where you can make your own abilities from skill components - and the engine on track, it still leaves a heck of a lot of work for a 30-40 person team to do. "In terms of how much of a game there is, in terms of game-game, in terms of progression, in terms of finished areas: not a lot," Jacobs said. "We haven't even started on it." It hardly instils rock-solid confidence in a possible launch next year, does it?

Remember, though, there's a lot Camelot Unchained doesn't have to do. With no levelling, no one-to-whatever level grind, there's no need for all the quests and hubs and monsters and equipment which go with it. In this way Camelot Unchained relieves itself of a huge development timesink, allowing the team to focus on the core systems and tools players need to make content for each other instead, be it through combat or crafting or whatever.

Whether the ambitious gameplay systems will work as Jacobs imagines, I don't know, but he's not wedded to them so much as the requirement they be "fun", which I like. I also like how he's doing business, and the refreshingly simple and poignantly moral message it sends. Camelot Unchained does not have an Imperial Palace for sale for nearly £6000 like Crowfall does, staggeringly; it doesn't have a whole real-money real-estate business like Shroud of the Avatar did before it could proverbially walk; and it doesn't sell the fantasy equivalent of spaceships for hundreds of pounds like Star Citizen so controversially does.

These games still haven't launched; they are cashing in on to-be-fulfilled promises. But things are coming to a head, fulfilment is due, and if these games fail to deliver - the biggest of the crowdfundees, the torch bearers - the whole business model could disappear for games like them.

"We have a duty as a crowdfunded game to deliver on what we said we're going to deliver on, to do the best job we can, spend the money wisely, and treat our patrons and their money in the same way we would treat our own: with respect," said Jacobs. "And if that doesn't happen - and it doesn't matter if you're a small game or a big game - there's going to be a reckoning.

"If enough Kickstarter games fail then the reckoning can be very bad. It can be bad from a legal standpoint, it can be bad from a customer relations standpoint. We are getting close to a tipping point with a number of games, including ours where if we don't start showing we can deliver the goods then there's going to be even less faith in crowdfunding and Kickstarters then there is now.

"And if any of the really big ones just totally fall on their face and not deliver - not a game that is great but just fail to deliver, and can't explain where all that money went - both and civil and criminal penalties could be involved, and I say this as an ex-lawyer.

"I don't want to see Kickstarter and crowdfunding go away because it's the single best change in the publisher-developer relationship I've seen in a long time. And when you combine that with Steam and other digital distribution services, which have destroyed the businesses of the brick-and-mortar, it couldn't be a better time for developers. It's fabulous. We just can't muck it up."

In other words, 2018 and 2019 will be crucially important years.

Boy, I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he’s talking to his new CIG hire about these things... I’m tempted to back them just on principle, though :lol: at sword wielding fantasy game nerds. Real men play Space Games, amirite?

Toops? Scruff? Hello? Guys? (taps mike) Is this thing on?

But seriously good for him for at least talking the Lawful Good talk. It beats Chaotic Moronic Evil.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 20, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

quote:

This should allow for a more streamlined and focused approach to feature development and enable us to hit our intended quarterly release schedule.

Well, that and cutting features left and right to hit quarterly dates. Pushing Mining back to 3.2 when Brian Chambers has once teased it as a 3.0 launch feature didn’t seem to cause much ruckus so maybe that’s a better strategy.

Bigger disappointments on a schedule you can count on.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

:lol:

Dusty Lens posted:

Does the Star Citizen Team know when the features promised for the 2016 3.0 release will be added in or are they still laying pipe on that one.

The only thing set in stone for this project is its eventual epitaph: ”Here lies Chris Roberts. Again.”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

swag: actually made by CIG, sent out to china/taiwan

the one and only thing I can find CIG actually does, in house, is the merch for star citizen. everything else is handled by outside companies

jesus christ

But they don’t really make their swag either. They source that stuff mostly in Asia and Sandi talked before about her longstanding personal connection with “Jackie” in China who handles the op. Safe bet is she or her family have a stake in that operation with ties that pre-date CIG’s incorporation. Why else center distribution there when you have nearly zero customers living in your country of distribution and hundreds of thousands on the other side of the planet?

It just smacks of more double-dipping and the backers will never know anyway... They’re too busy coming up with cooler merch themselves and cutting CIG out of that money loop with private sales because most would prefer not to wear giant tacky art tarps and kitschy star kitten crap and the actress will never know anyway.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'm calling it that you wrote: "They're hosed!"

:lol:

Scruffpuff posted:

Basically, he's compromised, and as such is unable to provide impartial advice. When he claims he is doing so, invariably in CIG's favour, he's enabling more mentally ill to be scammed.

French fits the bill of the classic Star Citizen sideshow nontroversy that still somehow turns into a swirling vortex of illusory consequence. Like the Jake INN deal from some time back. Zealots and haters rush with swords and pitchforks to surround the inconsequential subject and a raging battle breaks out, so much emotion and drama and the stakes couldn’t possibly be lower but victory MUST be secured anyway because reasons...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 20, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

I think French has made a great contribution to the Star Citizen story because he hyped Citizens so much for the motion to dismiss and now he's backtracking so fast it's hilarious.

Yeah — meltdowns, self-owns, flustered backtracking and the like are funny at the meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/220671107?t=58m29s

Top right dude doesn't like the $350 special CIG dinner event things, that are only available to $1k+ backers. Bowtie flips his nut

:lol::lol::lol::five::five::five:

That had to feel good, Erris. Don’t worry though man, I’m sure if the cash need grow dire enough, Chris will do a 30 City around the world tour and give Canadians a chance to be experience Concierge-level panhandling from the Master bigger himself.