Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Pixelate posted:

I think the main takeaways are:

• Ortwin has been tricked into admitting he's got a conflict of interest of waiver which didn't mention his conflict of interest. He's planning to respond with a move called the faint and switch.

Oh you mock now, but when Ortwin unleashes the Fire & Fury as he most certainly will, there will be no more laughter, only the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I sincerely hope he gets to have exactly this experience. ,

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Their dinners cost $350?

$350
+
$1000 minimum prior investment in game
+
Airline + Hotel Expenses for non-locals
=
:gary:

The Titanic posted:

What’s the sound of one vampire crypt clapping in the still wind of a dark New Orleans night during a hurricane that just took out Florida and there is no internet and one man screams at his mobile phone to “get a signal so I can loving finish” while in Hollywood Porsche’s get attached to tow trucks with those little ramps and the guy is stepping on a soft XXXL size digital shirt code for a space game that never was?
It sounds like the future teaser trailer for the movie version of this thread.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I’m amazed to learn that there may be limits to Erris’ capacity for chumpatization.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

CIG have to settle, they have no choice, so the Crytek stuff might not last much longer. The only variables I see are the minimum amount Crytek will accept and if Chris Roberts can somehow raise that much. Raising money is the only thing he seems to be good at but CIG absolutely have to settle before discovery.

Chris needs to just crank out twin pairs of black market Anvil Super Hornets — actual “unauthorized” military spec versions that punch way above their weight — then sell them only in a one time, never to be released again bundle called “The Fire & Fury Pack”. Pitch it as a way to send a message to the greedy evil Crytek and Skadden even while getting in on an amazing buying opportunity.

Put hot flame decals on the Fire and Shark Teeth on the Fury because ”WW2”. Ka-ching!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

IncredibleIgloo posted:

In defense of Clifford, he seems to keep almost all of his comments positive. Even the comments in regards to SC's detractors or issues are framed in a positive way. I have to say that while I am immensely creeped out by the anime angle, and am a little off put at the extreme cash outlay into a failed dream, he seems really affable. If most of the vocal Star Citizen backers acted like him, I think it would be a real improvement for their community. I imagine he keeps his comments positive to maintain a good reputation for his streaming. If that is the case, he may be the most professional acting of all the characters involved in Star Citizen.

I stand with Clifford. His loyalty to Chris Roberts and affinity for Miku seem bizarre but he’s too amiable and gentle spirited to be lumped in with the jerk class citizens. He and my boy Dan ”let’s gooooooooh” Gheesling put friendlier faces on the game than most of the usual suspects. CIG needs more personalities that actually seem to enjoy playing the game and don’t have livestream meltdowns every fortnight.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

I seem to recall there were rumours of them seeking investment at Games Com 2016, I don't think even 3-4 months of big sales is going to cover the Crytek bill, considering that money would presumably already be earmarked for running costs. I think Chris Roberts will be giving lots of studio tours to potential investors and the larger ones won't be paying $350 a head, maybe the new shares that were issued play into this too.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if they’re racing to set up their own SeedInvest-type deal for fInal stage, next level Whale fracking. I doubt the new share issues were just for an ESOP; it’s not like the have a history of pre-emptive thoughtfulness and generosity towards those employees not on the “Friends of Chris” list.

It seems more likely than not. The :tinfoil: version would be that the Concierge dinner event for $350 will have a very special surprise, “Here’s a stock certificate with your very first share comped with your dinner. But if you want to buy more, you’re in for a treat!”

There would be a temporary outrage for non-attendees quickly addressed as CIG unveils that shares in the world’s first quadruple A game can now be bought be anyone! And the more you buy, the more extra little in-game ship perks you get for free!

Dusty Lens posted:

Well if you know anyone else who identifies as an anime doll and has $30,000 to spare on a video game don't be shy about slinging them a referral code.

:eonwe: went to a Miku concert if memory serves. Let’s start with him!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

hot balls man no homo posted:

Put all the shares of CIG on a block chain. Call it Citcoin. Earn more Citcoins by running the SC client.

Has anyone said Shitcoin but in reference to Star Citizen?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tokamak posted:

Openly selling shares to backers is one of the things that will split the community in half and turn on Chris. It is one step below a EALE (Electronic Arts Level Event). Bowtie is mad about spending $35 on shipping, how do you think he will feel about 'profitable' shares after they have already spent thousands on jpgs.

I don’t disagree that it would be controversial but it didn’t stop Garriott. Roberts has never minded splitting backers down the middle or favoring new money over old. Erris of all people would hock his possessions to get in on the action without a second thought. He’s incapable of any persistent course correction and there is no indignity or betrayal he will not happily endure and eventually defend. He would chomp at the bit to put even more money where his mouth is and consider it an opportunity of a lifetime — a ground floor investment in the workd’s first Quadruple A Studio.

I don’t assume it’s happening, but if more attractive alternatives weren’t available to Roberts he would surely escalate his panhandling efforts and wave off any backlash as just so much noise. It is the whales who are obligated to him, to let him make the game he wants to make and run the operation however he sees fit at any given time.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Pixelate posted:

I don't know how this compares to Derek's Dec 2016 blog reference to flyable ships at that point:

Because the numbers don't add up there, and I can't find the source.

That outdated chart was mine. It’s definitely due for an update!

quote:

Plus I don't know who Derek is.

Oh hell no you did not just say that... :lol:

If you want an even-handed summary, the Kotaku UK translation of Level’s story about the 24 Year Feud is a good read.

quote:

Maybe someone who knows how to turn numbers into cats inside boxes could do this? I have a litter of numbers to play with. Here are the tidier ones:

Ships Alone, Sorted by Class:

CAPITAL CLASS:

Total: 11
Flight Ready: 0
Percentage Complete: 0%

LARGE:

Total: 13
Flight Ready: 6
Percentage Complete: 46.2%

MEDIUM

Total: 16
Flight Ready: 5
Percentage Complete: 31.3%

SMALL:

Total: 45
Flight Ready: 35
Percentage Complete: 77.8%

SNUB:

Total: 12
Flight Ready: 4
Percentage Complete: 33.4

***ANALYSIS***

Those big Capital Class fuckers ain't ever happening.
If these ship numbers are current I might revisit and update the chart. A specific detailed focus on Ships themselves might be especially rich given that Ships are now and long have been their primary business priority. The difficulty in the earlier versions was finding current sources. I opted to use that Kristen-created ship chart that shows groups by manufacturer since backers saw it as authoritative.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 22, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

As much as I love your charts, I've always had a slight issue with this one for two technicalities.

1) The description of "flyable" for a ship. What that basically equates to is: can you move the model around the map. The flight model is still not technically functional. I know there is some debate, but take a look at the .gif a few pages back with the ship jittering around nose-down on the planet. Take a look at literally any video of SC ships in action. Play the game. The ships - none of them - are attached to a space game flight model. There is no mass, inertia, thrust, or anything that gives each ship heft and a unique feel. So to say the ship is "flyable" is making the game look much farther along than it really is. In a sense, none of the ships are flyable until they put in a flight model.

If the "flight model" in the game now is what they're keeping, then loving :lol: - no amount of "tweaking" will fix it. This game is a model viewer at best.

2) Just an extension of #1 - the chart farthest to the right mentions game mechanics, and space combat is complete. Without a flight model, is it really space combat?

So I think your chart is actually exceptionally generous and doesn't actually reflect the true state of CIG's progress, which is essentially none.

These are fair critiques. With a backer as my primary source, the bias is preserved in the recreation.

On the combat point in particular, combat was actually a lot better at the time! But I also felt like there was at least some form of mechanic playable in the game, even if meager and tied to a flight model in decay. The problem though is that it’s kind of a binary thing as opposed to a qualitative assessment. And the primary emphasis was more the complete absence of all these other Kickstarter mechanics, most which still are MIA.

Even though it probably was a little generous, I sure saw a lot of furious hot takes. The funniest ones were the “We can Bounty Hunt NOW!” Followed by some LARP scenario involving player coordination outside of the game or the like.

“Well when you put it that way, guy, all the mechanics are in the game!”

boviscopophobic posted:

Some community elements were not happy...

Seeing as the Guard Frequency guy was the only one prescient enough (or with enough inside sources? :tinfoil:) to call the Ortwin thing ahead of time, I'm curious if they will address Skadden's response in the next episode, which is due tomorrow.

I’m glad GF offered their honest take, even if most backers don’t appreciate candor and would rather hear yet more Pollyanna nonsense from the “everything is GREAT!” crowd. It’s not like bungshine is in short supply in the “SC News” space...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 22, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Terebus posted:

That is pretty big news but like you said it's pretty tangential to CIG. Ortwin being hosed in this situation too is pretty good tho.

Backers expected the Fire & Fury. They may have to settle for Liar & Jury.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Toops posted:

I don’t personally stand with anyone who obsessively brags on the internet about how great and rich they are. His words almost resemble those of a nice person, but his actions reek of pure vanity and self aggrandizement. He “donates” obscene amounts of money to one of the most unethical for-profit companies I’ve ever seen, uses them as tax write-offs like he’s hand-delivering clean water and goats to starving African villages, and then posts pictures of his receipts and file folders while hi-fiving himself about his disposable income.

Just because he’s better than the worst irredeemable scumbag SC cultists doesn’t mean he’s good.

#I_Ironically_Stand_With_Clifford_In_A_Subtle_Callback_To_Prior_Thread_Meme_I_Stand_With_Sandi_If_That_Was_Not_Clear_From_Context

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

They walked back co-op in SQ42, and backers barely batted an eyelid. Similarly, after the disastrous SQ42 reveal, they setup a page for 250K backers to get a tee-shirt if they hit that goal. Last I checked, they barely hit 25K because most backers don't give a poo poo about crobert's wet dream.

Clarification: If CIG gets 250,000 people to sign up for their new list, Chris and Sandi are offering backers in a special "in-game" t-shirt, not a real one.

When I first watched that, I came away with the same impression. "drat, that'd be pretty expensive. That doesn't sound like them at all."

Then I watched it again and realized, "Oh, it's more immersion-breaking in-game digital crap. Yeah, that sounds like them."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I am aware that it's an in-game item. I should have clarified that.

I just didn’t want anyone else here reading that and thinking CIG was spending seven figures on a backer-centric reward because :lol:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

I'm shocked, apparently the ability to buy ships with game credits won't make 3.1

SPOILER THAT SURPRISING NEWS: And don't get your hopes up for 3.2 either. There's absolutely no rush on that particular feature. No rush at all.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

People are complaining that mining wont be in 3.1 when it's been around since 2012.

THE OLD WAY CIG LET BACKERS DOWN: Give dates, profit, miss dates, :lol:

THE NEW WAY CIG LETS BACKERS DOWN: Give features, profit, miss features, :lol:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: YouTuber Law - “Star Citizen Update 3.0: Crytek Responds. Is Squadron 42 a Feature or Related Video Game”

I am still listening to “Calling All Devs” and I don’t know yet what his take is... but since he has 40 upvotes and no downvotes, I’m thinking Cry-Rekt!

Tippis posted:

Well yeah. Why rush getting stuff with in-game cash when you can already get it with real-life cash. Are so kind of antidevelopmentarianist or something?

Exactly. Plus buying with cash supports Chris, while buying ships with aUEC actually hurts Chris by increasing costs without compensating him. Only trolls and shills for AAA Gaming would ever want to see that happen.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 22, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

Is Montoya really this thick?

https://youtu.be/vhJFW3p5yjQ
I skipped to the end, assuming the Cry-Rekt! Narrative would persist. And unsurprisingly, ”Crytek is grabbing at straws.”

I knew it was all frivolous but it feels good hearing that confirmed by the Test Squadron guy because Test Squadron is Best Squadron. (Until Squadron 42 releases, anyway...)

SoftNum posted:

I don't understand how this is even a point of argument. The agreement specifically calls out nothing sold standalone counts. S24 is sold stand alone. qed.

Are you familiar with the “If no Quid Pro Quo, case dismissed” Rule?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 22, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

Just finished " We need to talk about Alan". By Alan Partridge . It's pretty much how I imagine Derek's book, every chapter ends with The quote " Needless to say, I had the last laugh ".

:lol:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh manchester,so much to answer for..... not at least having chris walking around it.

With so many parties making so many specific predictions about legal outcomes, now is the time to invest in salt futures.

No matter the outcome of the legal process, there is a 100% chance of epic rage at scale already baked into the cake. I don’t even know what :lol:s will be unleashed by whom or where but I’m already laughing picturing any of it working its way through the thread.

“This (:10bux:) is going to get you (:10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:) worth of laughs!”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Oh man. This trial is going to force Sandi to reveal her "degrees" and it is going to be riot!

We may one day actually have a chance to read the Master’s Thesis that launched a thousand courtships from Ph.D-level Marketing programs worldwide.

“International Marketing - by Sandi Gardiner.”

Dr.Philip Kotler, Kellogg School posted:

“Whatever we have to do, whatever mountains we have to move, whatever price we have to pay, we must get this woman to Kellogg, now! It is not so that we can teach her; it is so that we can learn from her!”

Beet Wagon posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The ~$25 I've spent on SA is the best investment in Star Citizen I ever made. Actually, hell - if you consider that SA was the catalyst for my refund, my $25 investment had a pretty big monetary return too.

:same:

Good Times, bad times, seasons of fasting, seasons of feasting, the thread has been a better bang-for-buck on the entertainment dollar than Netflix. You can drop in to random slices of bygone threads and find things previously funny now made all the moreso with the passage of time and new revelations. Even things once unthinkable and only joked revealed more and worse a couple years later.

AP recently dropped that clip from RTV in, Sunglassed Sandi’s tales of France and I laughed more now than I did then at how ludicrous it was. To thumb through the archives and see stuff like that again is to find yourself whispering with a ridiculous smile on your face, “oh hell that really did happen!”

Star Citizen is good.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

GuardFrequency #198 - With or Without U

Legal foo begins 4 minutes in. Ortwin’s diabolical double-dealings get discussed again.

“If no Cry-Rekt, you must object!”

Tony’s co-host admits at the end that he’s trying to ignore the legal challenges and focus on the happier news of the game.

But man Jeff, way to excuse the inexcusable there in the closing. You do realize that those two additional years cost backers $70 million extra dollars? It’s not just like Star Wars Galaxies or the other games you mentioned because the funding was fueled by a lot of fictions, friend. Stop trying to trivialize that or worse, normalize it.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 23, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AlbieQuirky posted:

Sandi isn't a corporate officer (clever girl!) so her embroidered CV is unlikely to come up.

Oh well. Maybe one day she’ll publish her earlier research work simply for posterity’s sake. The marketing and marine biology worlds both surely have much to gain from her contributions.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its pre ALPHA REEEEE*screeches until my body divides itself into 14 different sectors thanks to my new 64bit positioning*

:lol::lol::lol:

TheAgent posted:

toad papy: we're aiming for bug fixes in march

I honest to god wonder what Todd’s reaction was to being made Director of Star Citizen. On the one hand, it seems like a pretty prestigious role and high honor, as sure as sign as one gets that you’ve officially been elevated to “Friend of Chris” (FoC) Status. Maybe he’s been that for some time but that’s the gold star stickerer certificate with the 3rd grade “Chris Roberts” scrawl that makes it official.

And yet... what a nightmare role that must be. It’s like every day you walk in to your office and see the Cotopaxi of tech debt stretching so high that most is hidden by storm clouds. Your burden is to remove it boulder by boulder as little earthquakes and guttural rumblings radiate outward from below. The molten lava flows beneath of lunatic expectations pressure upwards, the weight of the mountain spoken into existence by robertsian bloviation presses down.

“Take this seat of high honor at my right hand, Todd. As an official ‘Friend of Chris’, I’ve set up a throne just for you right there, right there between where immovable object meets unstoppable force.”

He’s probably the right guy for it though. Phlegmatic temperament, little of the Chris or Tony Z. eagerness to turn an already unrealistic expectation into even an more impossible one with the magic of extemporaneous speaking.(“You promised we could form lifelong relationships with these NPCs, Tony!!! And yet this guy just keeps telling me to ‘take my poo poo and leeeeeaaave!!!” Why won’t he be my FRIEND Tony? Whhhhyyyyyy?!”)

It seems to me a minor miracle Papy survived the sand worm narrative showdown. I’d have thought his flash of conscience would’ve automatically disqualified him from FoC Status consideration. If ever there was a firing offense at the Director level, it would be Todd Papy saying in earshot of Chris: “I just don’t want to be selling something we might not have in the game.”

Chris Roberts posted:

”Well how the hell do you think we got this far, Todd? That’s my entire business model. We can't allow for individualism... what I want is people who are positive, can do, and want to work as a team, not always trying to go 'This won't work', 'It's about me', or ‘I don’t want to be selling something that’s not in the game.’ Can you handle that?”

Todd Papy posted:

“I guess.”

Chris Roberts posted:

“Great. You’re in charge of Star Citizen now. I’m off to Monte Carlo for some recharge time then I’ll be back on Squadron work again. We just got a great new technical animator, worked on Star Wars and they say he’s a miracle worker so he’ll be working on the Sandi performance while we get the other scenes together. See you at the Manchester House dinner next month. I reserved the private room.”

Todd Papy posted:

”Uh, about that, Chris. I’m just not sure about expensing something that pricey when—“

Chris Roberts posted:

”We’re not going to be expensing something not in the game. I happen to want to see that room again because I’d like you to add some nice touches to the Million Mile High Club. We can’t very well take design inspiration from Revolution or Flame & Wok, can we? Besides the fans will never know and we deserve to be engorged with epicurean delights...”

:gary:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 23, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Nebakenezzer posted:

:(

Ain't no mafia like a Uppsala mafia

Because Sweden is well constructed for clandestine corpse disposal

Also re: the last summary, Sandi has a degree in Marine Biology?

She claims two Master’s degrees, one in Marketing, one in Marine Biology.

Her Master’s Thesis for her Marketing Degree was called “International Marketing.” Her Master’s Degree for Marine Biology was called “International Whaling.”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ZekeNY posted:

^ That’s horrifying, but at least they didn’t turn him over to the Tickler in Black

All my life, I’ve wanted to pretend to be a marine biologist

”Save the whale, Sandi. Save the whale for me.”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

My new gimmick will be to let everyone know how much of a homosexual I am with every post.

I once considered an Alan Nuevo gimmick account. But the referent was so boring and flat there just wasn’t enough to work with. So I just made fake screen grabs instead

The one about Sandis acting plans still makes me laugh. Little did I know ...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

If I recall correctly I actually believe she didn’t even remember the name of her thesis paper she definitely wrote, and only thought it was “International Marketing”.

The astronomical level of “I’m bullshitting you guys and I don’t even really know what a thesis is please don’t ask me more questions about it” pretty much caused the measurement needle to fly off the machine.

Yeah, she didn’t recall the complete title. If she ever has another interview discussing her sterling educational credentials she really needs to commit some thesis title to memory: “The impact of Chinese economic reforms on the bilateral textile trade with Australia” or something similarly ponderous. Her full response did not prove convincing.

it’s funny — there are several older interviews (Sunny’s Diner especially) where Sandi says something unbelievable and probably false, then the interviewer does the amazed double take and asks “Wait are you telling me you have two masters degrees? And your a model who played Doom 18 hours a day all through college?!”

And every time this phenom happens, there’s always a long beat and then Sandi says “Correct.” It’s like her “This is bull crap” tell.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Wow that video....
(well the 30 seconds I watched of it anyways)

It’s your loss, Lladre.

That’s a true classic from the Golden Age of CIG LA. It saw The Master of Ships enjoying his proudest hour, as the celestial engineer took a victory lap on what many believe was his finest creation, The MISC Endeavor.

And if you’re worried it just isn’t complicated enough already, don’t worry, Ben has ”all sorts of ideas how to expand this thing.”

Lando: (pre-developer era) “On the week’s ATV ‘Behind the Scenes’, we wanted to take a look at the Endeavor science pods that are said to add all kinds of new gameplay to Star Citizen.

Chambers talks about all the good work going in to “core systems” for Squadron 42.

It was a magical episode from a wonderful era of unhinged nuttery leaping out of the minds of the LA brain trust and right straight into our hearts at the speed of :lol:. And we shall never see it like again.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I’m not sure whether this will be interesting to anyone here but on the offchance it is, I had a Karma positive set of exchanges on Reddit recently. And it began with “I’m a Goon for those of you who like to downvote on sight.”

What was especially interesting to me is that an especially detailed and critical effort-post further down the chain yielded an outcome I did not expect, “drat, i don't even think i can construct a good counter argument to that. Very well said.”

I’m not sure what to make of it all beyond just being surprised, but it was nice to find openness to a more critical narrative of CIG history and Roberts priorities. Their own backer-funded media archives are the best witness for the prosecution against Roberts mismanagement and warped priorities.

“The court calls The Road to CitizenCon to the stands.”

Anyway I was glad there was some receptivity to a Skeptic’s narrative and that the Goon “shoot on sight” approach was maybe suspended in this case. FWIW.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hi guys! I'm still here.

I’m glad your thread loyalty is still alive, MoMA.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

imagine four studios on the edge of a cliff

When I do I picture Chris and Sandi throwing the little people off one by one while they wait for their copter to arrive.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I may be more fascinated by this than anyone here so apologies in advance to anyone who finds this boring overkill. But FWIW, there's an interesting wrinkle in the Star Citizen stream-o-verse.

YOUTUBE: Dan Gheesling explains why he's cutting back on Star Citizen gameplay

He's put out 400+ videos of Star Citizen gameplay over the years, and anyone who has ever watched one knows he's the real deal non-shill space game nerd. I genuinely enjoy watching his goofy runarounds in the PU because the guy brings his own fun. I've laughed really hard at several of them just for his little recurring routines "e-grejus", "sliding into the DMs", "the official gold wheezy of the WHP", "let's goooooooooh", "butter server", etc and I was wrong to let the fleet whale disdain for the guy bias me harshly against him.

Anyway, in his update he states that with 3.0's launch, he feels like he's exhausted the available entertainment. He notes that the added scale of the 'verse reduces his likelihood for contact and without people to interact with, the place is pretty fun free. Interestingly, despite how much SC content he's added to his channel since 3.0's launch, he states that he's burned a lot of play sessions without bothering to upload them. There just wasn't enough there to be enjoyable viewing.

He gives additional meta about his channel engagement numbers between 2016 and 2017, and states his surprise at discovering the growth just wasn't there, and that Star Citizen videos -- which used to outperform -- have seen declining viewerships on the whole. He got some big pops with 3.0 content here and there, but on balance, it's underperforming, particularly when he spends a lot of time on gameplay he deems to boring to use. That time could be spend on other games with better gameplay and more viewer engagement potential.

So, he's reducing his Star Citizen content to twice a week. He's got nothing bad to say about the game, earnestly still has hopes for it down the road, but there's just not a lot of Fun to be found yet.

One commenter captures his own take on the decline:

BrokenWretch" posted:

1 hour ago

Good episode. Great show. Tremendous Channel! I saw your Star Citizen first and I've kept up with it until the release of 3.0. I'm sad to say that I've lost all interest in it. I was trying to decide between S.C. and E.D. and I finally went with Elite. I play it every night and I really enjoy it. I was a bit disappointed that you didn't get as involved with Elite but I know that the game is FLOODED with very capable streamers so it would be harder to build an audience there.

I get the feeling in hindsight that Dan had already started mulling the cutback a little while ago. He was extremely curious what DevilDog's take was on haters, on the game itself, and in hindsight, it kinda seems like he's seen the numbers declining, the skepticism growing, the glacial pace of progress and is trying to figure out what, if anything, it all means. Good question, man. Keep asking.

This is just an additional random data point, a loyal streamer seeing declining interest in the game. But as we look back to the miraculous year-end revenue spikes that helped keep the narrative of stable growth and demand alive, we have yet to see any validation of external organic demand for the game. Saturation of the "hard core space sim buggy pre-alpha market" feels pretty real, and the one CIG-controlled demand barometer -- the funds tracker -- is just not convincing in light of receding interest, player disengagement and skepticism obvious elsewhere.

:tinfoil: -- If the tracker is capturing real transactions, then the question is how much is organic market demand and how much manipulation by parties with a vested interest in protecting an implausible narrative of sustained demand. That the tracker is allegedly going away quite soon is curious and begs its own questions. Why remove this when its proven useful in sustaining confidence? What is lost by the change is obvious, but what is gained exactly is unclear.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

CIG LA just reminds me of the shitshow that was the Ion Storm office in Dallas, it just oozed that same level of over the top crap.

Indeed.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

That’s a big rear end sandworm, but in spaaaaace!

Looks like Hannes and the other cinematics guys fully focused on Squadron 42 and totally not a shared resource for anything else have their marching orders for CitizenCon this year. You don’t want to lose this guy to a pretender.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 24, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Imagine if you could walk around in ED, first-person, and the entire rest of the game stayed exactly as it is. Then try to convince yourself that the addition of FPS suddenly makes the game incredible and not boring at all. That is the Star Citizen promise.

Dare we dream?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Revisiting the run-up to 3.0's launch, there is just so much bullcrap in the public record. Some good transcript potential here and there.

YOUTUBE: Live from the Gamescom Showfloor, Day 2

Erin Roberts gets asked about the depth of subsumption in 3.0 - Myre from Fortnightly Frontier poses a theoretical about his Bounty Hunter mission to assassinate a bad NPC who might be on a day night schedule of activity. Will NPCs be persistent? Or will they spawn to missions? Erin gives his "so on and so forth" as the handwavium begins.

Deejay goes further with questions about NPC assassination missions. (Drop a box on their head, DJ, that's the preferred kill.) If he kills an NPC, will another shopkeeper come along and replace the deceased? Basically, yes "and so on and so forth" involving sheriffs and wild west towns and serious marines that will take you down for your crimes.

Erin Roberts says Mining will be the first thing they go for after 3.0.

Erin Roberts says players will be able to buy ships with aUEC in 3.0, er, 3.1 - Watch Lando nodding after Erin explains you'll be able to buy ships with aUEC in 3.0. Then Erin and Lando both back off the claim with Lando making it explicitly clear that you will NOT be able to buy 3.0 with aUEC. (:tinfoil: Voice in headset - "No no no we're not making ships purchasable with credit in 3.0 guys!")

Classic.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 25, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Most of their sales are 45, 50 and 65 dollar items so sequencing it may not be as telling as conspiracy theorists will have you on about.

I_still_trust_cig_to_cheat

Quavers posted:

Quavers' Snacksized Review: Why Sleeping Dogs is better than Star Citizen

:words:

I’m beginning to think maybe Star Citizen is not as good as I’ve been led to believe...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 25, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

“People who buy lots of spaceships aren’t stupid.” — Ben Lesnick, Master of Ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

No, a joke in itself is when a midget eats itself! ~ Ben Lesnick, I'd call him a oval office but he lacks the depth or warmth to give pleasure.

That particular chapter of Star Citizen history still stuns and amazed me. It really does.

I’m amazed that The Book of Loaf debacle wasn’t at least enough to get him immediately moved out of a front-facing role for the company. At the very least. But I’m further amazed that the very same gaming press that engaged in a full-scale ritual sacrifice of Tim Soret (best game trailer at E3 last year) for his Twitter misdemeanors despite apologies completely ignored (though surely was not ignorant of) the matter.

Somehow, Loaf aroused little controversy outside of the Zealot/Hater Wars and what could’ve really lead to a company crippling PR catastrophe remained contained. And the continuing good work of relentless whale fleecing continued. It’s really incredible.

You have to at least give Chris credit for stubborn loyalty. If you genuinely worship him and make preservation of his legacy your vocation and advocation, he’ll keep you around despite the risks. Why fire someone with such exquisite taste in game developers?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 25, 2018