Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing the latest everspace update and it's very good and fidelitous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

btw top execs are going to pay themselves out over $1m in bonuses this xmas

happy holidays

Performance bonuses?

Non deliverable bonuses?

Bogus bonuses?

Money laundering?

Swedish Mafia?

Gizmondo unpaid bonuses?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

Instead of actually modelling flight physics (mass of ship, power of thrusters, direction of thrust and the resulting acceleration and velocity etc.) they're actually doing it in reverse. By default the ship is assumed to be in one piece and therefore has their "default" tweak values for noclipping around. If the ship takes "damage" to a certain thruster, then the ship will fly differently based on that damage state. Example:

State0 (undamaged):
- acceleration:34
- mass:78
- leanleft:0
- leanright:0

State1 (left thruster damaged):
- acceleration:17
- mass:76
- leanleft:10
- leanright:0

This is an oversimplification, but you get the gist of it. The goal is to have as many simple states as possible that make the ship fly differently based on all the combinations of thrusters/systems that can be damaged. There's actually nothing at all wrong with doing it this way from a technical perspective - as long as the game feels right. It's actually rather clever, because it needs basically 0 CPU power to do it this way, instead of complex physics calculations. It also allows them to tweak things quickly and easily on the "ship feel" front without loving around with the entire engine each time.

Of course the real issue isn't how they're doing it - it's that CIG has a pathological need to constantly tell backers that everything in the game is mimicking reality itself in the code - when the truth is that, like every other developer, they use cheats to achieve the desired result.

Source your quotes. My immersion will not be broken.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Decrepus posted:

Star Citizen: Every System is in Flux

Star Citizen : Fluxed Capacitor

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The superfluous walkways in the cargo section annoy me. They serve no purpose other than to look cool and provide another way to walk around. Maybe they serve as an alternate FPS path? But if so it seems like just going outside the ship would be equally logical. More importantly they take up space that could be used for larger items or pieces of cargo. Maybe they make more sense with other modules that have two levels?

But yeah, it's hilariously broken. Are there any large ships that are actually polished and done?

FD intentionally designed Elite's ship launched fighters and SRV not to have russian doll syndrome, where as Star Citizen has been hilariously going down that path. The issue is mainly a technical one, which can be cheated through, but since Crobbers is against "cheating" those are the results you get for trying to recreate reality.

e:
FD link https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/198765-Summary-of-the-Collectibles-Q-amp-A-with-Sandro?p=3076061&viewfull=1#post3076061

Chris Roberts design principles : YES YES YES.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there a way to get China involved in this?

When players can begin to grind for credits / UEC / Alpha tokens, yes.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Saladin Rising posted:

Haha wow, it never really clicked for me that Star Citizen is like custom-made for griefing. There's nothing in place to keep griefers from constantly wrecking all those thousand-dollar ships, and that's exactly what griefers are going to do if Star Citizen is released in any sort of vaguely playable form.

Star Citizen, from videos, has a ridiculous short TTK (time to kill) period. A connie dies within a minute, ships crash in spectacular fashion with no auto eject (not sure why this is not a feature), players die and ships despawn with them, jumping out of a ship while its flying doesn't follow physics (your velocity = ship velocity) but instead of a high possibility of your death.

Griefed Citizen.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

The aliens that look like some animu bullshit (tevarin) are a feudal society that honors the art of war and follow strict and honorable code of the warrior where the most distinguished ones are known as warlords. They also do suicide stuff.

their ship is the prowler, you know, the final fantasy ship knockoff.

Star Citizen lore is poo poo.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UPa52ETgTs&t=125s

Lol at the gravity kicking in.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheLightPurges posted:

Also if anyone wants to laugh at how broken the Cattepillar is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkmPnG4z4B0

The first 30 seconds kinda sums up the whole vid.

How to load it up with cargo?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Good reading meltdowns all round.

:justpost:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Take the :toxx: Toast.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Remember back in March when Chris said that Craig Grounsell was gonna get docking up and running in short order, and that it was a technically easy thing to do?

https://youtu.be/ciCNkp20O7w?t=10m48s

still no docking. wha happen?????

It's really funny that he said its not a technical hurdle and will get guys to work on it. Then later goes on to talking about a flying Idris and how fun it is to fly ships in and out of its hangar when the docking functionality isn't implemented yet.

TLDR, buy an Idris!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Not defending Derek, but LoD is playable and on Steam Early Access.

Sadly comparing apples to apples, LoD is definitely more functional than SC is at this point. I'm wondering why I said that and it left an awful aftertaste.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I feel like that's their fall-back every time "THIS TIME DEREK WILL BE SILENCED" is met with the deafening roar of Derek Smart's twitter account. Every day they declare victory and every day no one wins anything.

The goons are wrong, I bought an Idris to prove it!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Hopper posted:

Coincidentally, 2 is also why the spergs currently fuel this dumpster fire, because Roberts is making them believe the game will be EXACTLY what they want. Those who realize it won't be... feel grief got a refund.

#Corrections

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

You better have a Hull E to store all your rapecrates in. Just saying...

Phoenix would be a better bargain, imo.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESNObZJTgQ

Seems like everything Star Citizen isn't.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Eldragon posted:

I wish Elite was 10% as fun as that video makes the game look.

Ironically Elite is the boring carebear hugbox trucking simulator that the SC spergs are demanding SC to be, but they refuse to play Elite.

Then ED comes out with a "Persistent" mode that's a separate save and open play only. That'll show the spergs!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

You can get gifted items refunded as long as the value is less than the amount you spent on the account. The gifting limitations are all poo poo CIG made up. If you've $100 on your account in RSI meltable value items and have spent $150 you can get $100 back. If you have $100 on your account in RSI meltable value items and have spent $50 you should be able to get $50 back and have them leave the account open with the other $50 still on it or have $50 returned to whoever gifted you it.

There's no way CIG want to stand up in court and attempt to explain all this dodgy gifting poo poo.

:downsbravo:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Merry Chrismess everyone!

I don't see anything regarding MMO / Persistent Universes in there.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : Lumberyard Shift.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sabreseven posted:

I had to check, it's not actually a photoshop, it's on the site clear as day.

I wonder how they worked that figure out, it's in linear kilometres and not 'squared' or even 'cubed', yet how do they make such a claim when they know full well 99.9 of those 100 are full of empty space and nothing to find?

I'm leaning towards thinking "false advertising".

1 x sextillion km = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000km = no way they made an in game map 100x larger than that.

105,700,083 light years?

They made the biggest gameworld yet!

Buy an Idris!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Curiously, since the LY fiasco dropped, both him and MoMA seem to have disappeared stopped getting CIG checks.

Fixed.

e: tax

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I asked Google what 140m dollars could buy you. Best answer it would give me was this link: http://www2.agilone.com/blog/blog/25-things-you-can-buy-with-25-million-dollars

This would've been better for Star Citizen than picking Cryengine.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
There's always more, its always worse.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Did CIG devs crunch through the New Year?

Asking for a friend.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Gravity_Storm posted:

Its a sad bunch of characters that are associated with this dumpster fire of a game. They deserve each other.

WTFO just went full retard.

Source your quotes.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
When will LTI be rafactored?

:smuggo:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Spakstik posted:

Can we back up for a second and talk about what a stupid loving name "Grim Hex" is?

Google found this:

http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Hexenbiest

Seems someone at CIG liked the series?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone who understands game development please explain to me why his radar is gliching out?

Some kinda hack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFHmeaFGcM&t=1486s

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Ho Lee Cow!! Thargoids first contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slbWLXIpCv8

All 3 videos in one

Yeah its them already.

Just really pretty this time.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Is this fidelitous?

https://gfycat.com/UnlawfulCalculatingEthiopianwolf

I know nothing about game development.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Xak80 needs to buy an SA account and join the :pgabz:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I think feeding misinformation (2 actual languages, crafted by a linguist, used by NPCs??) to the backers is just sad. These are generally things that you would use 1% of during the production of anything, they're just reference points so that you don't get hit with IP / legal / license / copypasta issues.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

i call these characters

seated uncut and cut

Looks like some alien symbols for procreation to me.

Nobody is going to play a game with an actual real alien language being used.

Well, Star Citizens would, though. :cripes:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
OOT Post but holy poo poo.
http://remlok-industries.fr/1030/the-guardians-lore/?lang=en

This is what ED has written up for the new Alien friends.

quote:

Summary:

- The Guardians are carnivorous and once hunt in a pack;
- They are of humanoid shape, with front-arm sharpened to kill their prey and cut out the meat. They have a small mouth;
- Laws are extremely important and the legal system is very advanced;
- They could communicate over incredible distances at the speed of light;
- Their verbal language is a mixture of signs and tones, while written language relies on glyphs;
- They master genetic and biological manipulations;
- Their people were extinct because of biological wars;
- They love exploration;
- They battle with creatures they developed for modern combat, biological weapons, and pack tactics;
- No Guardian had an official role in the community. Everyone had to take turns participating in the cooperative effort;
- Their technologies were more advanced than ours, but we have a more varied arsenal;
- They were keen not to damage nature and were versed in the ecology and control of demography;
- The guardians’ projectile weapons utilised electro-magnetic propulsion. Kinetic energy was used in combat;
- Whole cities were protected by huge shields able to resist even bombardment from space. Their shields tech was far more advanced than ours;
- Artificial intelligence shaken their societies based on city-states communicating with each other through a monolithic network.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
:justpost: on 400

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sillybones posted:

Isn't Elite like that? You run out of fuel or something and your only options are suicide or someone brings you some mana.

Yes it is, and its a game mechanic cause its mainly your fault for
1) not looking at the star type you're dropping out with
2) didn't bring a fuel scoop
3) being a noob.

Also the parpcorn lately is delicious. Keep it up, thread.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

That's really bizarre. What's the penalty for death in that game?

A rebuy, if you don't have enough for a rebuy, % of value of ship, then you get an automatic loan which substitutes for the rebuy.

If you're already on a "loan", and neither have the credits for a rebuy, then tough luck. You lose everything and start all over again, but you retain your rep with the factions, rank etc, like a New Game+.

e: This is if you died, and you don't have another ship. TLDR: Don't fly without rebuy.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Galarox posted:

Done, imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/UE3dc

:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Is this the ELE?