Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Gosts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobzUVTiYVM

YO YO YO DID WE TALK ABOUT THIS YET

Oh boy one more thing to cross off the list of "Elite doesn't have [insert thing star citizen will never have]!"

Did you realize that the composed shot is the same as the one used in the Bengal reveal for Star Citizen's KS?

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The better part of Warframe is its player driven economy.

I go back once in awhile and pay for Primes i didn't want to grind myself and simply just mess around, I get to give DE some money, and other players in game cash for their efforts. Its all a win/win/win.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Yes, following Warframe is good.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

I used to believe Erin would bring the discipline and constraints needed to keep Chris’s worst excesses in check. Boy was that stupid. I mean, maybe he’s done a little of it, but belatedly and ineffectually. He was a Lego-game re-skinner working on 6 month release cycles for years before this, so maybe it’s not surprising he’s not lived up to expectations.

He’s not all bad. Abandoning Gamescom was seemingly an Erin call. He finally conceded the obvious, that it was a waste of developer time to spend weeks crafting one-time use demos for 2+ shows a year. Perhaps Erin also deserves the credit for finally getting Roadmaps out, too. (Though public shaming of their inability to hit release dates may have just forced Chris to finally give in to them. Who knows?)

Even so, Erin’s track record sucks and like Chris, he never owns up to missed targets. He told Bored last year they aimed for Salvage and Server meshing by 3.4, if memory serves — yet we’re at 3.6 and neither are in sight.

He hyped up Land Claims with Chris and Haddock in 2017, as if they were just around the corner. Even got giddy imaging the gold rush to secure prime real estate and the potential for players to flip real estate to future fortunes. Bullcrap then and bullcrap now. He also said early this year that this year’s Roadmaps were very achievable, unlike last year’s, which in hindsight he admitted were too ambitious. Having lowered their aim, they’re still missing targets every quarterly release. That reflects more poorly on him than on Chris, IMO.

When you're pooping out golden eggs jpegs, who gives a gently caress?

e:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

It's really nice that people care, I mean that :)
Yeah it sort of is like a franken thing, you have bulges of bone behind your ear lobe, that's your Mastoid, they drill into that and screw em in.
The headband is a temporary thing just so I can get a feel for it, it looks like this:

So you wear it a bit like a pair of glasses, but on the back of your head, this presses the hearing aids onto the Mastoid, so I get about 50% of the benefit compared to the final version - It works really well, but has taken some getting used to.
It's very tiring, they warn you about this, your brain gets tired because it is doing a lot of re learning, it;s a strange tiredness, it's a foggy feeling.

It's all a bit mad really, but on the upside redit has delivered in spades today :v:

Hope you get well soon :pgabz:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

This is what you so when you want to make games. Chris Roberts does not want to make a game.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Someone archered concept art of the Banu Merchantman over on Amazon. :ohdear:

I don't know how the gently caress I recognized it, so, thanks Commandoes for filling me with such useless information.

:laffo: :five:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.696437/gov.uscourts.cacd.696437.81.0.pdf

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cgxpd7/crytek_gmbh_v_cig_motion_for_bond_granted_500000/

CIG Wins? :munch:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Chris wears black, all the drat time, like Holmes, he copies Apple's presentations.

Like Theranos, I'm betting my money that most teams work as silos. Since EVERYTHING goes through his approval, its not far fetched to say that he's going exactly by the playbook. Theranos died because it was tied to real life science, you can't defeat physics and science in general, everything Theranos did was scientifically extremely difficult / improbable.

Chris on the other hand is not working on the next great thing that would make significant benefits to life in general, he's faking SC until he can make it. At the moment he's wingclipped / hamstrung by technical challenges because a) bad engine pick, b) bad management. He has teams working on demos after demos, technical presentations without a working game with working mechanics. He's playing magician until the tech comes around so he can finally make the game he's been wanting to.

He presents his demos first so people have an embedded idea how this game can be. He drops broken rear end builds so people can recreate whatever that was shown, or have the impression they are playing some thing that _will be_. The best this to come of this project is Chris' ability to create illusion after illusion and have people buying in.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kosumo posted:

I will be majorly impressed if they can ever reliable get the Ballista missile truck to ever drive up a ramp into any kind of spacecraft. My money (which Chris can never have) is on, at best them making a ship with a elevator that lowers (like in one of there earlier video - with a rover) because at 17 meters long the ramp would have to have a very sallow angle for the truck not to bottom out big time. (Which I'm sure would lead to ship and/or truck exploding and/or being flung randomly though the air)

I'd like to say I called it but it's not much of a call really.

I think it was Macross / Gundam where ships had limited armaments and would use these Walker things that would move about on the hulls to provide support. So that means we can have these Ballistas moving around on our ship hulls and provide more firepower??

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Heavily inspired / Archered :

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/GTF_Pegasus

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

Been a while since we had a good spaceship commercial! They never did end up making the Retaliator commercial that was an actual honest to god stretch goal. But check it out, $140 spacetruck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUseGGO_vXc

Why do I hear Riddick speaking?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Agony Aunt posted:

dreams.txt

It might be interested to see one day a developer actually make a game based on players dreams, just to see what pile of unplayable and unfun poo poo it produced.

Backers are used to ending up high and dry moreso.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d6PYCaT6vI
:laffo:

I wanted to transcribe this, but its too much shittalk.

TLDR: Making games is hard.

Sillybones posted:

MMO genre deserves its death.

Go play FFXIV, its great.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I would like to point out is that the 3 dudes getting interviewed have NOTHING in front of them, no script, no "what to say, what not to say" NOTHING. I mean. What?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MedicineHut posted:

This made me go check FFXIV stuff and found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020179/Behind-the-Realm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRZ_4H0OK60

Guess how many of these 3 main culprits are shared with Star Citizen?

Will CR tell his team: "Go play Elite Dangerous for a year." ?

Lol.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dwesa posted:

FFXIV's lead was replaced by higher-ups in Square Enix. There is no risk of that in CI, unless investors start with their demands or whales suddenly sober up.

And I am not sure whether even Yoshida would be able to salvage SC.

The irony here is that, FFXIV has had a rebuild, a lot of patches, and 3 expansions, all of this during the dev lifetime of Star Citizen (assuming Star Citizen started in 2010-2011)

I have to say in my opinion, having finished Shadowbringers, its the best FF yet.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MedicineHut posted:

Is FFXIV worth going into 6 years after launch (of the rebuild)?

You get to play the first 35 levels of any job free, so why not? Job = class, one character can play as all classes to max level for a single fee of 13 dollars a month. So feel free to play all the jobs to level 35.

Try it for yourself. Its definitely better than Star Citizen.

e: words

no_recall fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 5, 2019

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Agony Aunt posted:

Do you work for CIG?

ftfy.

No.

Though, often I wish I did. I mean getting paid to do personal experiments isn't all that bad, really.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
As much as we laugh at how broke brained these guys are, CI is targeting and exploiting them.

Sometimes I do feel for them tho.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

In case you worried that maybe Citizens were not actually loving obsessed with the hangar on the upcoming space yacht:

They are really, really obsessed with it

""Let's fantasize about playing basketball on our spaceships just like the days I spent as an aircraft technician," says the person who spelled hangar incorrectly!

Something else I am observing is that these dudes have some serious narcissistic tendencies with their posting.

"I'm a _____ for ______ therefore ___________"

"Have been a ________ for __________ so _____________"

They have justifications for everything CR is trying to do because they have personally experienced this nirvana therefore Star Citizen has to become nirvana for them.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : Narcissists Anonymous

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Whats the discovery date for space court again?

Soon(TM) right?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-LNiZxsY7s

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

Looks like the 890-dollar-Jump has been released to Evocatii.

No word yet on whether or not they actually got the hangar working. I wouldn't bet on it! The bathrooms certainly appear to be hosed up:

Also, apparently, the ship is so big that you literally can't spawn it at Port Olisar. You have to make the 20+ minute flight to Loreville or Area 18 to get it spawned in- hope you bought a second ship! Oh let's be honest, anyone who bought one of these has lots of ships. Also it's so loving big that it's difficult to spawn it, wonkavator down to the landing pad, get in it, and get to the bridge before the despawn timer kicks in. Just really well designed and definitely going to feel great to own one of these going forward.

:lol:

This is Archered from Warframe? Looks like the Orbiter to me.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Store Citizer : Conhog Day

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

what does this mean?

We're moving on to discovery.

2 Weeks.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CITIZENCON'ed Raffle.

Prize : [Redacted] x 1

(It'll be good, promise)

Guess the amount of funds on the Tracker at the end of the Citizencon Sale.

GO!

(p/s: Please quote this post, I like them internet points.)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress me, citizencon raffle will delayed till November.

Sorry folks!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf6MSKdhzhg

To Chris! :cheers:

e: pgabz you need to update the jpg, the "6" is upside down. tia.

e2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ7Frkwi8JY

:laffo:

no_recall fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 22, 2019

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

monkeytek posted:

1. Exclusive group invited to spend $275 on dinner worth $45 depending on how much they have spent on jpegs: CHECK
2. Discuss one new ship: CHECK
3. Given early access to buy this new ship: CHECK
4. TOTALLY not a sales gimmick: CHECK

You lose Goonies!

Lol this is basically sales 1.0. WTF are they talking about. Its just their pitching something that won't exist in a non existemt game.

Sarsapariller posted:

This is what we mean when we talk about certain Citizens playing Star Citizen. It's not the game on the computer they're into, it's the game of pretending to be a rich person who buys super yachts. Some of these guys have actually conflated their real life identities with the marketing stance taken towards them by a video game company. Imagine having so little self awareness and self esteem that the moment a huckster rolled up to you and started pitching at you like you were a rich person, you immediately absorbed it and rolled with it, then got genuinely offended when people pointed out that no, actually, you work at Costco and that guy just took your disability check.

Someone itt mentioned "Life 2.0" documentary. And after watching it I could say that these dudes no longer want a space game, but an all encompassing simulation that includes spaceships.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
ELE when?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Nice they built HTML5 / Javascript into Cryengine?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Space Court dates when?

:munch:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

honestly, most of the work is just models at this point. they'd be loving stupid not to switch. UE4 can handle things far better than the branch of CE they are using

since their "procedural generation" tools amount to height map terrain scattering stuff found in games earlier than EQ1, nothing there is lost. 64 bit precision would be a lot easier too. same with their "physical grids" or whatever the gently caress they are calling them, that don't have actually any physics in them (like if you park your ship upside down, you still stand upside up, and if you open the cargo door you just do flips from upside down to right side up lol) would be loving easier

I mean, everything would be easier and have more "fidelity" in UE4. every goddamn thing

what won't ever be easier is solving the loving "lets have 500 players have a battle in low orbit, including ground, air and space vehicles loading with projectile weapons"

stadia could be a way for them to offload that for a time, because lol if you think loving AWS is going to handle that poo poo seamlessly

just loving lol

No matter how you "offload" the work to AWS, its not going to magically happen. You still need servers and code running to be authoritative. If stuff is as bad as it is now, there's no magic patch that will save them going forward.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CIG could've gone more creative with the minelaying machine being a disposable 3D printer that prints out mines covering an area of space like a cynosural field in EVE.

3 Types of mines:
- Anti Citizen
- Anti Whale
- Anti Reddit

Wouldn't be that hard the come out with something like that would it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but that was the early days of shirt development.

Wait what? You meant that happened how long ago?

Its always early days for Star Citizen.