Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Tippis posted:

Archer:ing myself from the FDev forums

To wit, this is not Chris' first rodeo, and I'm not talking about Freelancer — it was evident a decade earlier than that. Let's have a look at how he chose to describe one of his previous manga opera: Strike Commander.

Let's start with Chris' version of the story in full:

This little nugget came out in 1993, and as we can see, true to form, Chris wants to paint it as revolutionary, industry-changing, unprecedented, and best ever. But, again, it came out in 1993. I harp on the year because it is a rather special year in computer gaming. It was indeed a seminal year for games, and especially for the PC gaming scene, but none of it had to do with Chris — hell, it didn't have anything to do with the actual production-value powerhouse that was Origin Systems.

What came out in 1993?
Doom. The game that, while it didn't invent the 3D first-person shooter genre, defined it, with audiovisual quality that was through the roof, to say nothing of the networked realtime multiplayer fighting that is a multi-billion (or is it trillion by now?) dollar industry today.
Myst. One of the most popular computer games ever, irrespective of genre or format. Along with 7th Guest, also released in 1993, it was the killer app that sold the CD ROM as a format and a peripheral, and much like Doom did for the FPS, defined the concept of multimedia gaming.
X-Wing. Take the space shooter concept that had been popular for a couple of years, make it actual 3D, throw a huge IP behind it, and focus on gameplay above all else. Again, it did not invent the genre, but it absolutely defined and nailed what works and what does not.
Virtua Fighter. Take the well-established and still popular fighting genre — Mortal Kombat II came out in 1993 as well and the Street Fighter series was in-between games — and make it 3D, thus setting the stage for where they will all go in a few years.

While they weren't seminal in and of themselves, a number of other games came out that pushed their genres ahead and set the stage for the future:
Daytona USA and Ridge Racer for the kind of 3D arcade racers that would be the new standard from there on.
Day of the Tentacle, Gabriel Knight, and Sam and Max probably mark the peak of the adventure gaming genre, pushing it into the realm of CD-based multimedia.
Masters of Orion and Syndicate. I mention them because some people will hurt me if I don't.
And that's not even mentioning such absolute classics as A Link to the Past, Star Fox, Super Mario All Stars, Aladdin, Sonic CD, Eye of the Beholder III, or Alone in the Dark II — games that, in spite of being spectacular or critical components in what would be genre-defining games a few years down the road, still paled in importance in comparison to the actual revolution that was going on at the same time.

As for Origin, they weren't exactly sleeping, but they were focusing on add-ons, spin-offs, and tried and trusted product series: Ultima VII-2, Privateer, and Ultima Underworld II. None of them offered anything new.

Hardware-wise, we had a generation shift with the Sega Mega CD, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Amiga CD32, and — perhaps most interestingly — the Sega Model 2 system. It is interesting because of one particular feature: its hardware-accelerated texturing and shading, supporting among other things… Gouraud shading of polygonal models. No matter how much Chris wants to strut his stuff over the '91 CES demo, no, Sega did not look at what some niche-genre dev on PC did and invented custom hardware to do the same thing in the year and a half between the expo and the system release. This was a parallel process that was happing industry-wide, all at the same time because the time was right.

Oh, and a tiny little chip manufacturer that was probably not worth mentioning released something called the “Pentium”? And across town in Santa Clara, a bunch of upstarts got together to form a company called nVidia…

So yeah, 1993 was an insane year as far as pushing the games industry forward. For all his bluster, Chris Roberts was not relevant to that development. He was doing his own thing, breaking budgets and being second (or third) on the ball like always, way out in the periphery. This would also be the only sensible explanation for the downright obscurantist idea that PC hardware might not continue on the trajectory set by the 386 (from 1985) and 486 (released in 1989).

Now, here we are, almost a quarter of a century later, and he's still offering the same spiel; the same ignorance of the industry; the same ignorance of the technology; and the same utterly, completely, boneheadedly ignorant excuses for getting in way way over his head. The man does not learn. He is incapable of learning. He is incapable of improving. Add in his ability to make games, make movies, sell cars, breed horses etc. and there's only one conclusion: he is just flat out incapable.

e: More rant and a correction…

Extremely good post. I wish I could find where Gorf or somebody made the suggestion that his autistic focus on fidelity is because he knows he doesn't have the talent and is terrified of being a laughing stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
INRI is a beautiful poster in particular his early work on dogs

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
I want some squaaludes, hook me up Agent (STRETCH GOAL)

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

"Oh neat CIG has new weapon artwork out, I wonder what creative and practical designs they've come up with..."

"Hmm, that's actually not bad looking, aside from being really front-heavy. Something about that seems familiar though, I wonder where I've seen that befo-"

:jackbud:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi everyone, hope youre having a fabulous day hating the videogame and the people who play it. This is just a quick reminder for you to call or visit your parents wherever possible because they raised you with love and care about you

Screaming at the computer game is part of my emotionally balanced day. Please advise for more appropriate objects to scream at it is absolutely necessary to scream at objects. Thank you

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

TheLightPurges posted:

Also if anyone wants to laugh at how broken the Cattepillar is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkmPnG4z4B0

The first 30 seconds kinda sums up the whole vid.

Look at this poo poo. I cannot believe how much money has been wasted by this project.

Here is a polished useless asset we sold you. Oh the game? That isn't made yet but in the mean time please witness our ability to waste money and dev time for the illusion of progress. Thanks and don't forget to pick up that next special ship with fresh cash

I am screaming at the computer game.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Xaerael posted:

No probs. I was never going to ban anyone if I won anyway.

It got rid of Marching Powder. Someone who's primary non- contribution to the thread was unironically whining about how people were not contributing to the thread. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was his "I'm not sexist, but..." post about another poster who has contributed a ton to the thread. He expected the thread to act as his personal army of performing monkeys, while suffering his occasional sexism and homo/transphobia.

He will be remembered by the single post where he contributed the most he could to the thread.

Truly the pinnacle of literary genius. He will be sorely missed. And by sorely missed I mean not at all, because he never loving contributed a thing other than one word reactions and meltdowns about how people were not entertaining him.

*channels fyad morality* This post is as embarrassing as anything pulled from the dregs of /dereksmart. Basically nothing you wrote is real dude.

MP was pointed and funny until fyad gimmick locusts arrived. Maybe your pov is different because he shat on you constantly?

Anyway this being the last post on the matter I wanna say cat cookies were incredibly more funny than MPs last post. The little space ship shaped cookie was adorable

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Deki posted:

gently caress, what video did this come from? I've been trying to find it off and on for awhile.

Bootcha's notacult.avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

That was 3-4 threads ago? Bootcha was becoming disillusion with the project and this came out of nowhere perfectly capturing
the total insanity of that moment I think around the escapist article. It is good and he should feel good and I'm glad he got his money back (w/o interest lol)

What the gently caress is this poo poo any more...

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

e: links and dates

This project is a joke. The waste is breathtaking

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Everybody stop talking about Star Marine or evocatti patch bullshit and start taking about how much loving money has been wasted producing this embarrassment. Where the gently caress did the money go? Where did it come from? Holy poo poo

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Squualude is going to be the product of like $100m and it will be two hours long

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
How is this prelude going to make them any god drat money?? What are they even selling when it launches? Seriously what the gently caress is going on in the next 12 months

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

He doesn't usually look wasted.

Usually.

Still listed in AtV credits as the editor.

Oh, that clears up my concerns. This guy is the only person with a trace of charisma cig drags in front of a camera, and he appeared immediately after Escapaist called Sandi a racist/pubist

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Actually, the first person they trotted out on the live stream after those accusations went public was some random black lady that nobody had seen before. It turned out she was the building manager, and many laughs were had when it became apparent that CIG was directly reacting to criticism in this thread. Later on they managed to find an actual employee of the company and she disappeared, never to be seen again.

Oh my god I forgot that.

Yes it was remarkably reactionary to the same degree as when the thread gave Sandi poo poo for the donut thing. The very next video she has a slice of pizza ready and takes a massive bite staring dead eyes directly into the camera the instant they are live.

Never change Sandi, none of this would be as funny or painful without you

:sandance::cig::lesnick:

moveable shape fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 7, 2016

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Somebody repost the spite pizza bite please, it was 100% real and almost to insane to believe

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

Homophobes are like that. It's not just that they don't like gays, they can't stand the thought that anyone anywhere might be gay. That's why you end up with people arguing against gay marriage.

Hey man they aren't homophobic they are just nostalgic for a time when gay people were treated as sub human and everybody could have a good laugh about it. loving sjws

e; phone autocorrect sjws to she's this is political correctness gone mad

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Lladre posted:

Some of you guys really need to take a break.

You are moving goal posts as bad as CiG. You don't even get comedy posts.
You are looking more and more like the reddit forum you like to make fun of.

Sup Moma

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

That douche on the right :wow:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Bolded for emphasis - whether or not the project falls under the technical definition of a "scam", what you said about misrepresentation hits the nail directly on the head. This project was, first and foremost, about what Chris Roberts wanted - and he wanted to make a movie/game in the vein of the very worst of what the CD-ROM 90's first generation had to offer. poo poo-tastic games that were littered with FMV cutscenes because the industry had no idea where it was going, and figured they're try to emulate movies. The industry matured and found a way for games to separate themselves from film, so both storytelling mediums have their own approach and their own art.

Chris does not give one flying gently caress. In his mind, one last FMV cutscene hellscape is his manifest destiny, and all that money he's taking is owed to him. That's why, despite taking money for a space game, one of the very first things he did, before even getting a functional engine, was blow it on big-name actors (and his participation-tropy-wife), enless motion-capture sessions, and one of the worst "scripts" ever to come to print. If the tree that became the paper that Chris printed his script on lived its earlier times crushing the chest of a hundred dying orphans alone in the forest, it was still doing less harm then than it is now as the carrier of his mental flotsam.

Chris pulled nothing more than a simple bait-and-switch: promise Second Life in space, deliver complete poo poo - poo poo he gets to define top to bottom based on what he wants - an ever-shifting mind-dump from a narcissistic manchild who feels 100% entitled to this cash, and feels no obligation whatsoever to deliver anything other than what he himself wants to deliver. So assuming anything at all is released by this sham of a company, you can rest assured it will be only the pieces Chris himself wants released. Once he has his backers' cash, as far as he's concerned, they can go gently caress themselves.

See also: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-creator-wishes-hed-explained-games-de/1100-6434856/

IMO The real weasel poo poo taking place is Chris conflating and selling the 'universe' as somehow a game. He is building an IP (the star citizen universe) which his FMV drek takes place in. This is why he will not stop promising poo poo it's because he's just pulling a universe out of his rear end in a top hat to build his god awful movie on. There is zero engineering debt because there is no MMO. He is here to create a billion dollar brand because through sheer force of will he knows he can.

The Lude is coming out next year and probably represents >80% of the expense of this farce. The PU is a loving sideshow being hacked together so they have a context to keep selling ships 4 god dam years into this mess. Whatever the gently caress
3.0 is will be another hacked together revenue protection play because the money required for Chris to deliver something that isn't a total humiliation is astronomical.

The fact that the customers are protecting the CEO from accountability for enormous financial waste of money THEY risked is poetry.

There is no MMO, there never has been an MMO. They are selling imaginary assets for a non game and are definitely receiving private financing and misrepresenting it with their fund tracker 'simulation'.

Post the blog Derekpost the blog please

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
3.0 will be the MVP and it will contain one system of the promised 100. Poetry

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Ponzi posted:

I ws just reading a story on The Register about 'Magic Leap', a company that puts out impressive (fake) marketting videos to demostrate their revolutionary technology, but have yet to come up with an actual product:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/magic_leap_neither_magic_nor_leaping/

At the end of the story is a list of ways to spot a tech company that's full of poo poo:

For some reason, Star Citizen immediately came to mind...

Oh my god that list is amazing :lol:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Wolf Larsen presents...

I have no words for how insane this poo poo is

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

jfc

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
No words

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Streetroller posted:

Apparently CIG still haven't learned about companies picking on individuals.

I can't really imagine what's going through their minds with this poo poo.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/361482/a-man-arrested

I'm not sure I understand the point of an intentionally bad PR move and increase in liability.
It's fairly possible to prove that a common person versed in understanding of the controversy of this project would know that Derek is being targeted, no?

He's not a fictional character, nor is the description something I'd consider very parody-like.

Very very dumb move, lol.

Incredible it's so petty and stupid I gotta believe Wolf Larson wrote it

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I would no joke love this

You are one of the three ofc

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

AP posted:

NOT SITTING IN SEAT THIS IS FOR 2.6

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Toon isn't sitting in the pilot seat

ACTUAL RESULT
Toon isn't sitting

EXPECTED RESULT
Repair placement

:laffo:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

At this point this debacle is a freight train headed to hell hauling dumpsters of trash and they are all on fire.

TheAgent posted:

hello, some of this is prob rehashed

• 2017 is now looking like the last full operational year for CIG (*from the perspective of 2 people who recently left)
  • several office/staff moves (including the Brno move, disco lando, ben, etc) are still planned
  • roberts joked at one point "the cheap labor must flow"
  • the "must deliver" deadline is still march/q1 of 2017 for the sqlude
  • might be much less than what was planned to be released (think less than an hour of story content, highly repetitive missions to pad playtime, grind, etc)
  • sqlude will include the new footage shot earlier this year of hamill
  • direction/management are being shuffled around, some people with no experience are now in charge of dozens of employees
  • several employees and execs are now gone, including cashing out on promised bonuses or other monies when they left
  • motion capture problems include missing payments to studios where work was done (backend, most likely)
  • "If [we] didn't have money in the tank for refunds, delay. Delay, delay, delay. Promise, then delay. That was standard, yes."
  • had to cut one or several major characters from SQ42
  • additional mocap is required "to have the story make any sense" thanks to "constant" changes to the script
  • entire maps, levels, mocap, VA, music and SFX have been thrown out, reworked and thrown out again
  • what was promised for 2.6, especially networking, won't be in until late Jan/Feb 2017 at the earliest (maybe midyear)
  • 3.0 networking is a massive, complete mess and won't be anywhere ready for 2017
  • "They are walking the design back on a massive scale. Try and get a refund."
  • ^^ moma that one is for you because the guy who said it, lol, just lol
  • crunch time has continued now for over six months, some people over a year
if you're in this project for anything over $40, get a refund. get a refund like now. after 2.6 releases to the PU you're going to have a hard drat time getting anything back unless you pledged for the SQ42 package only

:jackbud:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Tippis posted:

So, doors are controlled client-side and the animations are culled in such a way that they don't run through their movements properly, apparently…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXt2PHcOyo

That this bug could even exist is an achievement in ignorance on CIG's part.

quoting from 20 pages back

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

DigitalMocking posted:

The engine switch finally did it. My co-worker who's in for at least 2k (that he'll admit to) asked me how to start the refund process. He's lost all faith in CIG.

Get this guy an account. His kind is welcome here

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Anybody remember the video where Chris was going on about the cloud and 'the power of the machines' or something similarly insane?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Holy poo poo that moderation, incredible

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

TheAgent posted:

everyone I knew or drank with is now long, long gone. the best I currently have are 4th or 5th hand rumors

not a single person mentioned moving to lumberyard (or changing engines at all), but I have posted stuff about the amazon server costs/migration earlier because it was way more expensive than what chris was thinking

I dunno if that was a part of the engine change or what

really, like any of the things I posted, if you believed they were true 100% or that I somehow had private, super secret access I don't know what to tell you. I've never worked for CIG (I don't know where that rumor started) but the amount of sheer poo poo talked about this project is staggering. people don't like crunching, people don't like being yelled at, don't like being refactored and will get drunk and blab about how much their job sucks when those things happen

if you're reading this from offsite somewhere, get a refund. like now

How do people like the boss' wife overseeing HR?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Lladre posted:

You were a lot more fun to read when you would just post the rumors and not try to bait Moma.

Who the gently caress writes this sentence??

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

AP posted:

I prefer to think he's telling the truth as the idea that loads of CIG staff are trying to damage control the thread through Moma & Lladre in response to other CIG and ex-CIG staff leaking that poo poo is all hosed is funny.

It's almost 2017 and there's no game worth talking about. poo poo is beyond hosed and I'm sure if someone offered Chris Roberts $5 for ownership of CIG, to legally absolve him for responsibility for $140 million of unfulfilled promises, that he'd snatch their hand off.

I liked you more when you just posted the GIFs of ships spinning jankily and weren't trying to bait momas

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Fundamental Truths About Star Citizen
1) $140 million and 5 years are not unreasonable numbers because they are developing new technology to realize a game beyond the scope of any other. Here, look at this new feature.
2) This new feature doesn't indicate any kind of dev time or money spent because it's built into the engine. Chris Roberts is an excellent steward of our money.
3) This new feature is our fault because they have to keep selling us stuff to produce the game- $140 million isn't enough to fund all these new features.
4) They've spent the last 4 years modifying the engine to the point that they completely rebranded it and had to hire all of the Crytek developers to come work on it.
5) The engine is still baseline enough that it can be swapped out for a completely different branch with no issues.
6) Most of the work of the last two years was on netcode and back end support, which is now complete, allowing the game to expand much faster.
7) Swapping to the new engine allows them to use Amazon's net code which is much better than theirs, and will allow the game to expand much faster.
8) What's in the game today is amazing, and if they were to stop development and just polish that and add some maps, they could probably release it there.
9) The current gameplay is clearly a pre-pre-alpha and fundamentally does not represent the final state of the game. Bugs should be expected.

nailed it

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Rad Russian posted:

All the shill streamers have distract material ready to go on secondary screen that they constantly switch to, in order to hide the fact the whole game needs to be rebooted after every match and then takes forever to load.

The reboot glitch is in the live build? Are you making GBS threads me?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's not exactly pointless - I think it makes sense to start off by doing that if they want to gradually merge the lumberyard features in. I can believe it being a couple of days work fighting tools and importing history, especially if their original 3.7 was some kind of packaged release that doesn't exactly match the source tree Amazon has.

The thing is though, that isn't "switching to lumberyard", that's "making the very first, easiest step in the long and difficult process of switching to lumberyard", so this can only be true if CIG are lying to exaggerate their progress

We have finally arrived at a reasonable explanation. Chris is telling the truth (like-for-like) to conceal the fact that nothing substantial happened. This is a licensing move

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Mr Fronts posted:

Please, allow me.

this is what understanding game development looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
whatever we were talking about 1000 pages ago was more interesting than lumberyard engine switch speculation