Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

We are "The Deep Space Acoustic Hydrophone Experiment!"

We get insanely high on a variety of drugs and then mumble facts about World War II submarines over a track of '60s era folk music played at the wrong key and speed and liberally shot through with sampled Star Trek sound effects.

(oh God I can't stop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0uEmeEaDnQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

lmao, "Goons tricked croberts into promising all the dumb/impossible ideas!"

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

lazorexplosion posted:

The struts on the side of the main base building are identical, as is the three tone pattern. The rest of it has been chopped up pretty good but that side remains as a telling detail.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Tarquinn posted:

Nah.

Similar, but not archered.

Nah it totally is, the gif washes out the matching colored panels, and the resolution makes it somewhat hard to line up perfectly.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Can someone put a red circle around it please? :negative:

Here's a better gif.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

So does Ryan Archer still "freelance" at CIG? His twitter still has the SC logo on it.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

tooterfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

What do you know, I just had to type "Chris Roberts coding" into google.

Chris Roberts coding:
*hits 4 random keys* Oh, hello. *starts waving hands and selling bullshit*

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

tooterfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

What do you know, I just had to type "Chris Roberts coding" into google.

This video's great. Remember when Chris personally solved the ships jittering on the landing pad and characters slipping through cracks in the "Physics" 6 months before 2.0 came out?

http://i.imgur.com/tJat0fN.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/yFkZJOS.gifv

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

His double chins jiggle as much as his physics grid. It's hypnotic.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Wait! wat!?! Take that back!!

What kind of bullshit collection is this? I don't see the Wing Commander blu ray or the DVDs of the cartoon anywhere.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

boviscopophobic posted:

If it's not an "investment" but merely purchases of jpegs over several years totalling $1M+, surely there wouldn't be any reason for the SEC to care.

Hey man, those 66.666 completionist packages will be worth billions in a few years once people start craving all the vintage model ships that all the cool players have, but can't handle the grind. :smug:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

gently caress, I started thinking this dude might be SurfaceDetail... but no, he's easily doxxable, and clearly understands how watermarking images works.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

Mega Map (Singleplayer)

Originally moved out of the 2.6.0 goals due to the time required to complete this.
Tests on this feature in our Development branch have been promising, so we are aiming to release the singleplayer aspect of the Mega Map with 2.6.1
Work for this is now Complete
This is now in testing with QA and may require more time for bugfixing

Is the Star Citizen PU supposed to be both multi and single player now? I'm once again confused by MegaMap.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Just you guys wait until he's playing the 2 years late Star Marine with bug patches and can MegaMap between his 4 year old hangar and 3 year old Vandull swarm. You'll look like fools.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Tokamak posted:

The Benefits of Castration self.starcitizen
Submitted 3 hours ago by jadesuccubusDoctor

Hello, my fellow citizens! I'd like to go over some medical notes in regard to bounty hunting and helping those that do similar jobs obtain some extra safety and budget flexibility.

In the live game, if you do higher risk work there's going to be a major factors on if you make money: Ship capacity.

What I refer to is if you have a ship with four prisoner pods, you're capped at a maximum of four prisoners via the pods at once. The storage capacity will influence which contracts and missions will generate profit or loss due to this cap: EG five capture contracts in one area may require a return trip and additional fuel/time cost or lower the profit beyond what it could be due to increased expenses. I've previously made a thesis on helping bounty hunters here, however new information has been laid out since then.

In particular, one bit may aid lower budget bounty hunters, mercs and organizations that don't yet have a lot of resources to increase their safety nets and cost-effectiveness: the combination of the limb damage system and the ability to place people in crates.

If you are a poorer player starting with only a humble aurora to your name, you may not be able to have multiple prisoner pods - but you could instead have a single storage crate for that you can stuff a human in after removing their arms and legs. You may even be able to create makeshift crates such as using a mustang's bathroom or simply keeping the body on the floor, if the arms and legs have been removed and they cannot move or attempt malcompliance.

Remember: a requirement to deliver someone alive does not necessarily mean in one piece - if they need to confess, they need to speak. They don't need to walk, see, hold things, or have testicles producing testosterone that increases aggression, upper body strength, and risks of malcompliance - so if you have a simple medkit, these non-essential items can be removed by crippling the arms, legs, and torso into a ruined state then halting the bleeding.

This may allow a humble aurora/mustang pilot, or other organizations that need to reduce costs and increase profit margin so they can upgrade their equipment faster, to have more saving power and more flexibility for taking on jobs as well as bigger cash reserves for safety nets. Suppose you are a small family organization and the only member on is a low-budget kiddo with an aurora that plays with his father. You can have more credits on hand to help him out if he's mauled by pirates if your profit margins are higher. At the risk of making a cliche, think of the children!

If it is not possible for a target with ruined arms to open doors, you may be able to safely store prisoners in a bathroom, closet, box, on the counter in a mustang, under the bed, or in any other random location, which will allow much more flexibility in which ships can take on which jobs and much less restriction on storage space for prisoners. That means higher profit margins!

Hopefully, the reduced weight of the lost limbs will allow some space efficiency like placing multiple prisoners in a box. This brings up another point though - the importance of castration.

It's listed that the torso on the medical diagrams will each have consequences for being ruined - in the case of the torso, it encompasses the groin, heart, lungs, and though they are non-essential many males seem to consider them so, testicles. Presumably there will be related penalties to a ruined torso. In the case of a male NPC, the removal of the testicles can mirror soviet medical experiment results IRL - that the lack of testosterone production will reduce rebelliousness and malcompliance risks. This has several effects on a real human:

A) The subject will not have as much upper body strength and will not be as likely to instigate a prison riot or be as difficult to restrain.

B) The subject will suffer negative psychological effects due to the loss of testosterone production and may be more compliant with interrogation, forced labor, protracted detainment, etc.

C) The subject will in addition to being unable to assault the bounty hunter or otherwise disrupt the operation due to limb removal, potentially slip into depression and can be controlled via medications that will make them more dependent on the prison, or if they need testosterone for forced labor, it can be provided by supplement rather than produced naturally, for the same reason of increasing compliance due to dependency on provision of the supplement. To be fair, I got that idea from half life 2's stalkers that have their organs removed to hook them on a nutrition provided by the combine and cause them to starve in the event of malcompliance and hands removed for tool grafts - which I think is an excellent idea if prisoner management becomes a thing in-universe.

The effects of the above could be placed in for NPC's to increase the ease of an interrogation, reduce costs, increase compliance or confession chances, or any other possible benefit of the above, should castration be included in torso ruining in addition to the heart, lungs, and others. Most males I know seem to consider the testicles a critical item so I think it's fair the removal of them have consequences, at least in the case of male human NPC's. Possibly also an option for capturing and interrogating Vanduul if their physiology has similar consequences for their removal, so this may be very helpful for management of Vanduul prisoners as well.

Anyway, TL;DR: due to the ability to "hide" a person in a crate, it may be possible to forcefully place a prisoner in a crate or mundane location such as a bathroom via crippling the arms, legs, and torso/groin. This could allow lower budget organizations, casual players, poorer players, smaller orgs, etc. to have more flexibility in which members and which ships can take which roles, and help overcome lower profit margin penalties that would otherwise occur. This could be especially helpful for small family orgs that have say a parent and a child that are playing together and may not have a lot of free time and need some higher profit margins. It could be helpful to them if a humble aurora can be used to cart around prisoners instead of needing to obtain a ship with a full prison pod loadout first. Similarly, this could increase flexibility of other ships such as a freelancer or cutlass red to take on a non-traditional role and store captives in this manner.

Thank you for reading, and I hope this was helpful to you; especially for those just starting out, and those that must start from little at live! May fortune favor you.

<3Mwah

~Doctor Jade

If me and my child can't blow the limbs and testicles off slaves to make efficient use of our storage space, WTF did I even pay for?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Chalks posted:

What the gently caress does mega map mean?

Cocaine fueled coder gibberish, apparently.

quote:

Well, for sure its using PXE_DST manifest calls. As for the rest, I'd guess they use M4JK tables with a Multi header Hydra search skimmer. VOID commands to clear the instance.... which I think is default Cryengine. That way you can just pull everything using the Asset chain relationship from GOST, since GOST is handling the object states to begin with.

The rest is just pure cocaine and caffeine fueled coder gibberish. I couldn't tell an INT from an ENT, and why the hell they would even care about what a couple of Hobbits were doing in the Forrest in the first place.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/369130/can-we-know-what-mega-map-is-rather-than-what-it-will-do

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Rad Russian posted:

The need an open alpha and player testing to understand basic math.

Items of medium complexity, such as a patcher that works, require 7 years development time.

CIG.

The Delta patching system where you're not downloading gigabytes of data now has an internal build being tested. It's still in the early stages of testing and tweaking, but once it's ready, they'll deploy it internally as it affects them as much as it affects us, and once they're happy with it they'll deliver it out to us. No ETA on it at this time.

INN News Network.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Nyope. They never said it for certain, but all proof point to that being the way it operate.

The classic bugs of your character hanging in space with its hand and feet weirdly turning is the game applying ship model instruction on your character model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI&t=50s

My understanding was that players were subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. Their skeleton was then stretched and deformed until it controls the space ship. The sickening truths have been revealed only today.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnoiin3HnHI&t=7s

Some kickstarter things make me legit pretend angry

Does it filter vodka though? I like the idea of an app telling me "It's time to drink".

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5sgy76/comment/ddg73fj

Shill fight

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5shadi/comment/ddf5kpo

Round 2

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

hahaha, Goons have tricked another innocent victim into giving up their valuable space ships for some worthless ETF fund. What a fool!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

ComfyPants posted:

It's like some back assward supercar startup. So like check this, we built 5,000 sets of doors last month. They're all painted and detailed and the upholstery is loving great. Just like we did last month, and the month before that. We've experimented with all kinds of different paints and fabrics. Funny though we still don't have a car to put them on. I know we promised the best looking car with the best engine, but we're kinda short on car builders and engine builders. We got a fuckton of door experts though so we're going to keep cranking out doors. We got embarrassed when our former race car driver CEO tried to show off the mock up but he couldn't find his keys and then he couldn't figure out how to stick them in the lock and then he broke the key and the lock and tried to open the door by rubbing it with a towel and then the Styrofoam framing everything together collapsed, but seriously that guy's a legend and totally knows how cars work and we're gonna have something to show off soon. But for now check out all these awesome doors. We have a giant pile of them in a warehouse and just think how great they'll look on your car once we figure out how many wheels should be on it. The CEO keeps changing his mind on that and right now thinks 17 wheels is loving cool and way more than just 4 and we're hoping no one tells him that vehicles with 18 wheels exist and we'll have to completely redesign the chassis again but seriously this car is going to blow you away and is completely worth the wait.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

The Backend Team has been hard at work on a massive project to refactor our entire backend infrastructure to a new architecture we’re calling Diffusion. Diffusion will be a truly cloud-oriented service architecture that will help improve high scalability and availability for our services. It will be powered by a top level “coordination” layer written in a proprietary language developed by our Lead Server Engineer, Jason Ely.

Oh hey, Chris finally put some guy in charge of inventing his impossible cloud-mesh dream. Am I worried this is just coming out now and is obfuscated by buzzwords? No. I'm sure him and his "Backend Team" of 3 other network engineers will knock this out in no time. Besides "netcode" is something 2.6.2 is supposed to fix.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Looks like we've got some fresh leavers.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

as well as doing some R+D with our animation programmers for a more advanced version of foot anchoring that adapts leg IK and ground alignment based on whether characters are on their heels or on the balls of their feet.

I hope a lack of the realistically simulated oxygen/stamina doesn't cause my realistically simulated feet to slip and injur my character. Is there insurance for this?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

#jjustagamemode

Their planned MVP has been pretty clear. Star Citizen is just a 'game mode' launcher.

"Look, it's both a space simulator and FPS. *loads AC and SM*
But it's also an open world game. *loads Baby PU*
There are full sized planets you can seamlessly visit *brings up that key pad screen* *types in 4 digit code* *2 seconds later is MegaMapped from wank pod to a totally empty NMS planet*
Plus it's a MMO *loads Social Module; buys pants*
Finally, there's a triple AAA singleplayer with celebrities and exciting missions. *loads Morrow Tour 2.0, featuring Gary Oldman(as performed by Chris Roberts) in hours of unskipable cutscenes* *missions are all singleplayer versions of the previously mentioned modules*
What more do you people want?! No refunds."

It's just sad even that's almost 2 years behind schedule now.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Xaerael posted:

Yeah. It's pretty much a bunch of idiots still being salty that Derek can use Google to find out that a narcissist is trying to live out her Movie star dreams through her kids.

Smile for a group photo with Sandi!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The Titanic posted:

As a female who enjoys to play games, if you did this for me for Valentine's Day (or really any holiday), I'd not be happy at all. Like very much not happy. Even if it was a game I really liked or wanted.

I'm just putting that out there. Obviously do whatever makes you and your significant other happy.

CIG's probably hoping to break up more relationships so their backers can have all that disposable income to themselves.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

All the valentine's day sales are "fresh cash" btw lol

Remember this?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

They've fixed the dull grey colors.

http://imgur.com/a/7p6b2

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M