Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I had this happen to me firsthand, and is a perfect example of how much of this production is an absolute scam. Anything that leads to them keeping money in spite of their inability to deliver a product is ridiculous.

That happened to me too, but thanks to the encouragements of people in here I kept pushing until they suddenly had a change of heart, I got contacted by their legal department instead of customer service where they explained that they decided to instead of trying to shaft me for a part of my account's worth, they'd refund me.

Circumstances that might have helped:

When I first asked for a refund they refunded me a part of my account's worth and without getting a confirmation on whether I am OK with accepting that sum they just transferred it and closed my account. I then explained to them that taking something that is mine and costs $600 and giving me $300 in return without my consent is theft and that I'd be seeking legal help. After that it didn't take that long until they did a 180.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It's what I imagine children would do running customer service for an international company.

:colbert:"But you didn't buy it."
:argh:"I own it though."
:colbert:"But you didn't buy it I can't give you the money."
:argh:"I own it though. You were paid for it and I own it now."
:colbert:"But you weren't the person that paid for it originally."
:argh:"Yeah but I own it now and I want the value you were paid for this item in my possession refunded to me."
:colbert:"But you didn't pay the money for it! You can't get money you didn't pay!"
:argh:"I own it! Who cares who paid for it! You received money for this item and now the legal owner, a legal customer is asking you for a legally justified refund of the funds you were paid for this item which I own!
:colbert:"NUH UH"
:argh: "Refund me the money you received for this item as I am the owner of it now."
:colbert: "Well it's deleted and we are keeping the money because you didn't pay for it"

I'd love to see what would happen if an actual company just refused to give refunds on Christmas gifts because the person wanting to return it wasn't the person that bought it originally, then kept the gift and the money. THEN refused to let people use store credit they already had with the store to buy items because the manager wants better sales numbers and turns away people at the register, denying the value of previously purchased credit.

Did you hack my e-mail and get a copy of my e-mail exchanges with CIG?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not playing nice. I'm telling them exactly what to expect. Perhaps if they had done the same we wouldn't be in this situation.

Hope it works out for you man, I had to do a fair bit of pushing to get it sorted, including threatening with legal action etc. In the end they refunded everything, including gifts received.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am genuinely hoping that they look at the damage I've caused to them in the past, look at how much it would cost to deal with me, and decide it's better to avoid the conflict. If not I have no problem putting the same effort and dedication I spent building them up towards tearing them down.

Apparently the LA City Attorney is suing retailers for fake sales. I wonder how he would consider CIG's actions.

BTW if you have any ammunition I could use I would appreciate it.

I can send you my emails if you want. Any way to send PMs over here? If you send me your address I can just forward what I've got.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
So I hear that the holiday stream was truly epic. So is SQ42 out yet?

Also, how much reddit rage will I get thrown my way for this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5j5zsx/derek_smart_on_twitterthose_of_you_emailing_and/dbdltcs/

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was what notorious closed game development studio Harebrained Schemes is working on with their limited scope game development?

Oh. poo poo.

I feel like there's some kind of allegory here.

Okay, sure, GIFs are like a superior JPEG, but what about actual PROGRESS?

Actually I'm being a bit unfair to HBS. They don't have the countless videos that other, real open development studios have, but they do have a forum where developers give answers that supposedly aren't just their opinion at the time. So maybe quasi-open development? Pseudo-open development?

Been following Bettletech closely too, I am utterly stoked!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

...so it's basically doomed now? :ohdear:

lethality hasn't tweeted about it at least

Oh come on, I have kickstarted / pre-ordered nothing but successful games:

Star Citizen, Planetary Annihilation... Oh poo poo, it's doomed.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I considered just selling as much of my poo poo as I could at 80% and then keeping some low level account so I had access to all of the SUPER AWESOME BACKER REWARDS like a copy of Squadron 42 ~~EPISODE 2~~ and whatnot. But as you said all of the gameplay we've seen thus far has been dull and static, and frankly if I'm going to spent time with something I'll just get bored of a few hours later I could boot up Elite again.

The only worthwhile backer reward is episode 2 if it ever amounts to anything (I doubt it) - which you can then pick up for $30 or something. Definitely not worth losing 20% of your money over.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
Reading this thread makes it obvious that none of you have done any game development before. Ben Parry's drawing is spot on:

This seems to be a forked repository of Cry Engine. The main branch (probably develop? As it has future unreleased versions)

As you can see, SC forked from 3.7 and LY forked from 3.8.

After the switch someone checked out the 3.8 branch and they have all the improvements of LY as expected. HEAD is now at the last commit on the 3.8 branch.

Of course you don't currently have any of the commits made to the SC branch, if you want to merge those you'll probably break everything and have a long manual merge process ahead of you, but hey, you've switched to the LY branch and it works!

Seriously, that graph shows a gross misunderstanding of how git works.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

Nope. It shows that the SC branch remained as it were. They are not at the head of LY, lmao (and they are probably laughing their butts off too at that).

Exactly. The graph simply shows that merging the LY changes would be similarly difficult to merging CE 3.9 changes - you'd basically have to merge whatever Crytek/amazon was working on with the frankenmonster that CIG created, so no change there from "switching" to LY. But then again switching to it implies that the graph is completely wrong.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

toiletbrush posted:

I think what its trying to show is that Amazon created a LY branch some time around 3.7, but didn't actually make their own changes and just kept up to date until 3.8 when CE and LY finally diverged. All CIG have done is replayed their changes on top of the 3.7 branch of LY, which is obviously easy as it's the same as 3.7 CE. Now they can say their code is 'based on LY' but its still at the 'just got into work, still checking Facebook and drinking coffee' stage.

Once they start merging LY changes, they're gonna be in the hell of merge conflicts for eternity, unless they're extremely picky about what they merge (lol no) and Amazon have good discipline about their commits.

It's not a misunderstanding of git, just a badly thought out illustration of CIG being CIG.

If that's the case, what took them 2 days?...

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

XK posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943682&viewfull=1#post4943682

Oh. He actually said this.

I thought the reasonable assumption was that they were using new Lumberyard stuff for Star Marine, and their existing code for the rest. But this, wow. I would feel like a completely immoral sociopath by telling my $140m backers that I switched engines, without detailing that the change is currently only licensing related, and almost no functionality or implementation (code) has changed.

I'm still hesitant to believe that's what actually happened.

Woaaah. Someone should let the cultists know, there are dozens of threads on reddit talking about how they've managed to port their stuff to the LY engine already and it's in.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

A woman, called Cate, decides to have a plastic surgery on her... face. This decision is made on 03/07.

She takes a picture of herself, that same day, and starts photo-shopping it for a month, saving her work in a file named "SE.parp", trying to visualize how awesome her new face will look. She has no real skills nor any experience with plastic surgery and the result looks awful.

A month later, at 03/08 she has the surgery and looks quite different. From both what she looked before and what she had photo-shopped. The woman changes her name to Lucy, that very day.

"SE.parp" is still a botched photoshop of an old Lucy/Cate photo, but shows nothing of how Lucy looks, it has none of her new features. It is however an edited photo of Lucy.

Is my terrible allegory of what happened with the "switch to Lumberyard".

A better allegory would be that Cate took a picture of her face on 03/07 and sent it off to a surgeon to see what he could do with her based on the picture. The surgeon got to work on photoshop to make the adjustments that she should expect.

At the same time she took chainsaw and a sledge hammer to her face to "improve it".

The surgeon in the meanwhile died of a terrible case of lovely finances, but to Cate's surprise a second surgeon also took a copy of the picture she sent in and created a photoshopped image of what he could sculpt out of her. She was absolutely enthusiastic about the result and partially due to the massive brain damage caused by the sledge hammer, she exclaimed to the world that she switched surgeons and that she now looks like the picture the surgeon created.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

Yeah, I think this works better too.
Plus there is no way in hell Cate will ever recover from the damage she's done to her face and look anywhere close to her old self, let alone what the second surgeon photoshopped.

But at least she's happy.

Here is 19 minutes of how happy she is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

Hey guys, I've just found out that CIG have upgraded Crysis 2 to use the Star Citizen legacy engine! It's a big deal I promise.

Here, I drew a picture to illustrate it:

Most underrated post (tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
At this point I only have one real hope: When the whole project goes down the toilet they at least put the models/skins up with a creative commons license. I can see a pretty fun homeworld mod coming out of all of this.