Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

So since everybody is hell bent on the crappy FPS game, how is the actual space ship stuff since the update? Do the space ships fly like they have weight and mass and velocity, and turn based on the pretend placement of the magic thrusters? Or do they still turn like no clip characters in a zero gravity level?

I know, I know... what does my heart tell me?

They've been silently discounting the reality of the ships by continually mentioning that they're adjusting the "flight model" although not a single ship in the game is actually using flight physics. It is as you said, a noclip zero-grav, with the numbers continually tweaked to make it feel like flight without any actual flight physics calculations. Occasionally a developer will pipe up about adjusting "mass" then gently caress off for 3 months to write a script that kills you if you hit <<USE>> in an airlock while you're not wearing pants.

CIG can't simulate a vacuum in their space game. CIG is so incompetent they can't even develop "nothing" properly.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I'm a video game idiot. What's no-clip?

In most FPS games you can enter a console command (or hack the game) so your character no longer has collision detection or gravity effects, so you can freely fly them around a level and put them wherever you want, kind of like moving a camera around. Developers use it to place the player character in different places to test things like scripts etc. without having to play through the entire level.

Star Citizen is ahead of the curve in this regard because you can noclip through most walls and doors without having to type any commands.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

How do you respond to the usual sperg retort here about a ship flying wonky if it loses some of the lateral thrusters or what not? This what makes shillizens feel all warm and fuzzy inside and says it proves the fidelity of the accurate individual thruster modelling and calculations etc when discussing these things.

e: bunnies pics

Instead of actually modelling flight physics (mass of ship, power of thrusters, direction of thrust and the resulting acceleration and velocity etc.) they're actually doing it in reverse. By default the ship is assumed to be in one piece and therefore has their "default" tweak values for noclipping around. If the ship takes "damage" to a certain thruster, then the ship will fly differently based on that damage state. Example:

State0 (undamaged):
- acceleration:34
- mass:78
- leanleft:0
- leanright:0

State1 (left thruster damaged):
- acceleration:17
- mass:76
- leanleft:10
- leanright:0

This is an oversimplification, but you get the gist of it. The goal is to have as many simple states as possible that make the ship fly differently based on all the combinations of thrusters/systems that can be damaged. There's actually nothing at all wrong with doing it this way from a technical perspective - as long as the game feels right. It's actually rather clever, because it needs basically 0 CPU power to do it this way, instead of complex physics calculations. It also allows them to tweak things quickly and easily on the "ship feel" front without loving around with the entire engine each time.

Of course the real issue isn't how they're doing it - it's that CIG has a pathological need to constantly tell backers that everything in the game is mimicking reality itself in the code - when the truth is that, like every other developer, they use cheats to achieve the desired result.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ripptide posted:

Of course, now that the design criteria for all large ships is based entirely on making them FPS levels rather than any functional or potentially interesting layout, far less so.

This is an interesting point - yet another in the seemingly infinite series of logistical hurdles that makes Star Citizen unworkable even on paper, before a single line of code is written. Is it a game, or a simulation? If it's supposed to be a highly detailed and realistic space flight sim, then the ship layouts will be utilitarian - they'll be designed the way that makes the most sense from the perspective of the ship's purpose in the universe - which might make the most boring, lovely FPS experience if the ship is "boarded". If it's supposed to be a game, then for the most fun experience it might make more sense to design a really cool and interesting map for the ship interior so that FPS is more enjoyable, but that means immersion-breaking design that makes no sense whatsoever and has no place in a high-fidelity simulator based on Chris Roberts deep and nuanced understanding of how cool something he saw in a movie someone else created was.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

you know what this thread needs, another 60,000 posts about if star marine was technically ready by a specific date or the semantics of what "Released" and "in" mean in relation to it.

I always felt it a strange argument to make. It doesn't matter if SM was in 2.6 or not - what matters is that we were teased for over a year with SM gameplay that was suddenly completely scrapped (we're talking weeks, not months...), then SM was cancelled, then Chris said it was already in the game, then it was announced that it was coming back, and then they hacked together the shittiest Minimum Viable Shooter CryMod that the inept team at CIG could hack out over a couple of months - and it has nothing to do with Star Citizen proper.

It's so ridiculous that I'm not sure what the release was intended to prove. Does it prove that DS was wrong? Maybe, but it also proves that CR was wrong, so it's a wash. Does SM prove that we'll soon have a seamless PU where flight and FPS are both top quality? I'd say it's proof of the opposite.

The only thing it proves to me is what I already knew - with over $130 million and over 300 people around the globe CIG can't make a good Crysis mod. Maybe it will inspire amateur designers around the world to take a crack at it (they can't do any worse) and those independent devs will create tons of great space shooters, thus saving PC gaming.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. From what was told to me, evocati were testing different builds. In a day, they send out multiple builds. Some are more focused on flight dynamics while others on FPS gameplay. The evocati have their own chat, discord, ptu forums, etc. They're all in one test group, but testing different things. The results are tabulated and they'll use those to streamline the builds so that the can get it out to PTU quicker.

I know some people are poking fun at this, but it's actually true. It's key to remember that CIG not only doesn't know what they're doing, but even if they did, the constant need for fresh funds means they need to offload their testing onto proven loyal backers. They can't manage it internally, and there's a distinct need to keep up appearances. That's the purpose of the Evocati group - aside from testing, it's also their job to ascertain if the build going public is clean enough to inspire more donations, or would instead invite further ridicule.

Being loyal CIG backers they're not any good at it, so the builds that go out are still poo poo. But obviously not as poo poo as before Evocati got their hands on it, and the policy seems to be working well since they recently saw another influx of free, unearned money for basically nothing.

Additionally, the existence of the Evocati group may piss off some longtime backers, but it has the opposite effect on just as many: the desire to prove themselves loyal as well, so that they can also become part of this exclusive group. Standard cult operating procedure, sadly - a secret inner circle you too can become part of if you just donate and believe enough.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

thatguy posted:

Do you guys think that the people making this game are incompetent?

They haven't started making the game yet, so it's hard to tell. Once they come up with some basic design documents and a core gameplay loop, we'll have more to go on.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Go look see half the crap that's in 3.x and you tell me how confident you are that it's going to be completed in 2017, just in time for 4.0 to roll out.

It doesn't matter what they say will be, or not be, in a patch. They'll just release what they have ready (at least their definition of "ready") and that'll be 3.x. Promise kept. The very few times they've hit dates that's how they've done it. Trim the features they failed to include and release what they have. So far, as cynical as that is, and as transparent as it is, it's worked to keep the cash flowing in.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

There is a secret build where everything works.

They are also building 3.0 totally separated from 2.6 because magic.

It will all come together like everybody expects due to incredible and genius planning and resource management. The pieces will cling together like Lego bricks and function as both Sq42 and Star Citizen both come to life under the watchful gaze of Chris "Cokeman" Roberts.

This is unironically not only what the backers think, but what Chris Roberts himself thinks. In Chris Roberts' version of reality, "Zoom! Enhance!" is a thing. If something is visible, no matter how bad it is, you can "fix" it over time, making the lovely thing good, and making the broken thing function. It's just a matter of throwing enough money at the problem.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

DogonCrook posted:

Imagine how much work has to be done to get it to the point Chris says "gently caress it we are going to version 2 this later". That $100,000 industry average isn't something they could possibly keep to. I think you could safely double that cost estimate.

I mean we joke but I never gave much weight to the fraud accusation. But seriously where the gently caress is the money coming from? The traffic this project generates just doesn't add up to 130 million or whatever, and I also don't see any way they could keep their cost under 130 million. I also don't know how anyone with concrete information could say "I reasonably could not see the disaster coming".

Unless there is a secret war chest from private investors there is no way that this project isn't fraud at this point. It just doesn't add up. But even if that's true they have substantially misrepresented the project to backers.

Bolded for emphasis - whether or not the project falls under the technical definition of a "scam", what you said about misrepresentation hits the nail directly on the head. This project was, first and foremost, about what Chris Roberts wanted - and he wanted to make a movie/game in the vein of the very worst of what the CD-ROM 90's first generation had to offer. poo poo-tastic games that were littered with FMV cutscenes because the industry had no idea where it was going, and figured they're try to emulate movies. The industry matured and found a way for games to separate themselves from film, so both storytelling mediums have their own approach and their own art.

Chris does not give one flying gently caress. In his mind, one last FMV cutscene hellscape is his manifest destiny, and all that money he's taking is owed to him. That's why, despite taking money for a space game, one of the very first things he did, before even getting a functional engine, was blow it on big-name actors (and his participation-tropy-wife), enless motion-capture sessions, and one of the worst "scripts" ever to come to print. If the tree that became the paper that Chris printed his script on lived its earlier times crushing the chest of a hundred dying orphans alone in the forest, it was still doing less harm then than it is now as the carrier of his mental flotsam.

Chris pulled nothing more than a simple bait-and-switch: promise Second Life in space, deliver complete poo poo - poo poo he gets to define top to bottom based on what he wants - an ever-shifting mind-dump from a narcissistic manchild who feels 100% entitled to this cash, and feels no obligation whatsoever to deliver anything other than what he himself wants to deliver. So assuming anything at all is released by this sham of a company, you can rest assured it will be only the pieces Chris himself wants released. Once he has his backers' cash, as far as he's concerned, they can go gently caress themselves.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

All that may be fine and true , but if he can't release info because of whatever reason , why even bother starting the dialogue

My guess is that he's not starting a dialogue - he's getting his predictions out there, to the public, with timestamps, because when this collapses and all the poo poo floats to the surface, he'll have a huge archive of material that can be cross-referenced with the newly surfaced facts. They'll either match up with what he's been saying all along, or not. Either way it goes it'll be funny as poo poo, but for very different reasons.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I had that very same thought when I wrote that.
I mean, take asian timezone. SC isn't that known in the East I mean they have their own poo poo.
So at some point there has to be a dead zone, right?

I've wondered the same thing for years now. My best guess is that they take subscription, loans, investor cash, and other residuals, and spread them out into an hourly average to make sure the tracker never hits zero.

Someone should make an inverse tracker that shows expenses, with significant dips for coffee machines, space doors, and mo-cap sessions.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

This may be an overly philosophical or semantic argument to make, but I hold to the opinion that there are no bugs in Star Citizen at this stage, and that renders the concept of a "test universe" entirely moot.

If you have a functioning game in proper alpha, or even pre-alpha, you have enough game systems in place to begin proper bug-hunting.

If you're making a fantasy game and your job is to make a wizard shoot fireballs at an orc, you have the groundwork to test for bugs assuming the basic game elements are functioning. The bug reports might look like this:

- Wizard falls through world at map location -64.3, 12.9
- If fireballs are cast too quickly damage doesn't register on second cast
- Orc clips through tree and no longer registers damage from attacks
- If you jump in the middle of a cast you can no longer cast fireballs until you relog

Those are bugs - concrete examples of items not functioning as expected. (Note here that you need to know what is expected to know something is not right. Another way CIG fails - testing against an unknown constant.)

If you're CIG and you've made the same game, the bug reports might look like this:

- Game will not load - takes upwards of 5 attempts before it loads without crashing
- Wizard does not appear - nothing to control
- Camera floats away into the clouds randomly
- Orcs are not spawning, there is nothing to attack
- Fireball button does not work

The difference is clear. In the second example, the entire set of basic expectations for a functioning game and game engine are simply not in place. The code is incomplete and nonfunctional, so the bug reports themselves are actually of very little value, if any. If, like in the first example, jumping while casting locks out your ability to cast, that's an obvious coding oversight that can be corrected. In contrast, in the second example, none of those things are "bugs" - they're the natural state of any project that doesn't exist yet. I haven't even coded a fantasy game, and "Wizard does not appear" is happening to me as well every time I launch notepad. That doesn't make it a "bug" - it means I haven't made a loving game. Just like CIG.

The entire concept of the "PTU" and the "bug reports" is just one more extension of CIG's constant reliance on appearance and cargo-cult programming. There is nothing to "test" - this is still just a trial-and-error proof-of-concept series of pretty pictures stitched together in the hopes that something will eventually come out of it.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 21, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Every mission is complete and has already been grey/white boxed.

I think what you meant to say here was that the total number of missions was scaled down dramatically, the intended content was lobotomized to the simplest possible structure, and each mission functioned exactly one time during developer testing as long as they did exactly the right things at exactly the right times.

Minimum viable product, indeed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's more than someone's word in regards to the information I have about the game.

How's Jared feeling, anyway?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tokamak posted:

So, the hottest thread on /r/ds isn't even about derek smart, but about Beer getting a refund. Totally an independent sub that is concerned about the blatant falsehoods of a washed up game developer...

Why is /r/ds discussing Chris Roberts?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

This is ultimate beauty. The completely destabilized CryEngine that was hacked at by amateur developers for years until they refused to even call it by that name (it's STAREngine now, fuckers) specifically to support Chris's ignorance-fueled fever dreams has been dropped wholesale in favor of - whatever Lumberyard is going to let them do.

Since CryEngine wasn't able, with years of hacking, to do nearly anything right (localized physics grids, proper flight physics, atmospheric effects, procedural generation, 1000+ players) even with the CryEngine developers themselves working it into the ground, then logically that will transate directly into being 100% successful when they try to do the same things in a brand new engine.

It's really amazing to me that all that innovative technology that CIG failed to create after 4 years and over 100 million dollars had apparently been created by Amazon this whole time, and they weren't even trying to make a space game. It's a Chris-mas Miracle!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I hope Amazon keeps pipeline refactoring engineers on staff.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Mr Fronts posted:

Has CIG just put "Star Marine" together using Lumberjack, leaving the "PTU" and "Arena Commander" unchanged?

I wonder.

What does your heart tell you?

Considering how badly Star Marine looks, runs, and plays, Lumberjack may be a closer fit with CIG's own work than most people realize. My biggest ??? in all this is what Amazon thinks they can get out of it. Clearly they see this from a profit-driven angle. Obviously CIG is never going to make a game - maybe Amazon smells blood in the water with that 30 GB "patcher" that they can charge sweet bandwidth fees for.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Uhh, nothing. Anyone is free to start using Lumberyard to develop whatever the hell they want. Although CIG are using terms like 'partnership' it's really pretty one sided.

'Hello Amazon, we'd like to use your game engine.', that's it.

Good info - thanks. I did not know this - and in fact it was the fast and loose use of "partnership" etc. that led me down that road.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

CryEngine was the wrong choice for SC. Years of hacking result in some of the worst poo poo anyone's ever seen on a PC. CryEngine has a bad year, fails to pay employees, and finally goes tits up.

CIG's shrewd move is to change engines. This I can applaud. So they move to another modified version of CryEngine. This I applaud somewhat less, but it's CIG all over.

In the meantime, Amazon is struggling with adoption of their "Lumberyard" offering, getting progressively nervous as CryEngine goes through its 2016 crisis. To justify their own version of sunk cost fallacy, the order goes out: "We better get SOMEONE on board with this engine and get some people using it." "But boss, what game development company would be stupid enough to do that?"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

XK posted:

So, Lumberyard automatically gets a source license, that's good to know.

Lumberyard requires usage of Amazon cloud services. There is the exception of using no hosted services, or using your own internally hosted servers. But you can not use any 3rd party provider except for Amazon.

I was posting before about their lack of international servers, and kept talking about crobbler just changing the contract to have Amazon do international servers. I guess I should've been speaking of Google instead of Amazon, as apparently they had been on Google's service. Or, maybe I just saw the future. The same core of my argument still stands, though, and has only become more accurate. Will they be spinning up Amazon servers in international regions now?

Is the jump to Amazon from Google the thing that broke 2.5?

The Lumberyard logo only showed up on 2.6 live, but wasn't on any of the Evocati or PTU releases? That's what I've seen claimed.

Since this news, Derek has been saying that Lumberyard is based on CryEngine 5. Everything I've seen indicates Lumberyard is branched from CryEngine 3.8.1. The importance of this fact is merely pedantic, but it's good to be correct. There's a potential argument that CIG did all their modifications on a 3.x branch (3.7 I think), so the engine change isn't a big deal since it's just a jump to 3.8ish.

The running excuse has been that years of engine modifications are why development has appeared slow. If a 300+ employee company has spent years modifying an engine for their very specific custom needs, then "Star Engine" should be so far off the branch of 3.7 that it's a completely different engine to any other engine. Regardless of whether it's 3.8 branched, or 5.0 branched, or whatever.

If any of CIG's past claims about their extensive engine modifications are to be believed, then this is absolutely a fundamental engine change, regardless of any defense about it being branched from a similar version.

I also believe that only Star Marine is currently running on Lumberyard, and SC proper is still their hacked up engine. SC 3.0 is probably intended to be the full switchover to Lumberyard. We would've noticed some kind of fundamental change in the SC releases if they jumped engine in between 2.0 and now, but all the same bugs and quirks have persisted. Maybe that's why they kept claiming that 3.0 was being worked on in parallel to 2.6.

I really badly want an answer on the Lumberyard 64 bit question.

Remember when I posted (in my July blog) that when CIG finally changed engines they would try to play it down, and their 30 GB patcher would be the first "Line of Defense" in hiding the fact, since a sudden huge patch out of nowhere would draw attention?

The real surprise here is that Chris openly announced this change a mere 11 months after work began. My guess is that the plan was to not announce this at all. Only the insane could ever guess why Chris felt it was necessary to announce this. Either he had a pang of conscience, or he's genuinely convinced this is good news for Star Citizen and furthermore

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

XK posted:

It's not even clear what Amazon's active involvement in this is. CIG literally could've just grabbed Lumberyard and ran with it, using Amazon's public terms, without any real active role on Amazon's part.

I don't believe that's what happened. I can't imagine there wasn't some kind of arrangement made.

However, Amazon hasn't said a word. Not a press release, a single sentence of acknowledgement, or even a CIG logo on any Lumberyard oriented pages.

God forbid, if someone at Amazon made any kind of deal with CIG where CIG gets money from Amazon, that person should be fired, and I want their job.

I think there's an arrangement behind the scenes. Hopefully time will reveal if we're right.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Has anyone said ThumberYard yet?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

The sad part is honestly switching over to Amazon's netcode will probably help Star Citizen lmao

Can you imagine if Star Citizen came out?

Derek - stop typing. You're already typing your reply and I'm asking you, just this once, to stop. Give me this - it's Christmas after all.

Imagine it comes out, and it's EVERYTHING the backers want.

It will be full of :smug: and epic TOLD YOU SO DEREK SHART all over the internet. It will be the blowback of the millenium, and the backers will be convinced of vindication and ultimate victory over EVIL GOONS.

It will also be the shortest lived victory in gaming history. As the final note of their victory song fades, the last thing that they will see is shadow as our Auroras blot out the sun. Then the real game begins.

The only thing better for goons than Star Citizen's failure is its success.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I love these.

It doesn't matter whether or not you can logically deny the accusation that Citizenry is a cult - you gave your money to an incompetent and Star Citizen is never coming out.

It doesn't matter what branch of CryEngine Lumberyard represents, what version of the game released, and whether or not it did so by the end of 2016 - you gave your money to an incompetent and Star Citizen is never coming out.

It doesn't matter who Derek Smart is, if his games are good, or if his opinions matter or not - you gave your money to an incompetent and Star Citizen is never coming out.

It doesn't matter if goons are "evil", "jealous", or any number of other adjectives you can come up with - you gave your money to an incompetent and Star Citizen is never coming out.

It's possible to win every battle and still lose the war - and with Chris Roberts, it's actually unavoidable. Next time back someone who isn't an inept piece of poo poo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

DigitalMocking posted:

Have the citizens discovered yet that lumberyard isn't for mmos or any game with persistence?

Yeah all that but this is Persistence 2.0.

Checkmate etc.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Chunjee posted:

MegaMap is the idea that they can put hangar walking, PTU, and Star Marine into one game-mode; as opposed to however you launch each of those right now.

The reason you have never heard of this new term is nobody in their right mind ever tried to make a fps-rpg-4x-procedural-singleplayer-mmo at the same time before.

Chris literally thinks he can build The Matrix with a combination of green developers and his own rampant autism. Even The Machines had the sense to only simulate one planet, with completely imaginary super-futuristic mega-machines, and even then Neo learned how to T-Pose and turn on NoClip. But Chris is going to use some HP blade servers to make 100+ solar systems and entire planets with full fidelity because of course he is.

In his mind, the reason this hasn't been done before isn't because it's mind-bogglingly stupid to even suggest, but because nobody else had the vision to think of it.

Any idiot can think "wouldn't it be cool if we had a game where you could do literally anything." It takes real vision to figure out how to emulate a targeted and enjoyable slice of "everything", pin down the essential elements of the experience, and find a way, within technological limitations, to make that experience the best it can be. That's what a game developer actually does, and it's literally the opposite of what Chris is capable of.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Earth has 5.1 x 10^8 km^2 worth of surface area and nobody really worries about running out of things to do there.

Actually I finished all the content last week.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

I'm glad someone said this because I keep looking at this graph and I have no idea what it is trying to illustrate. The first image shows LY branching from 3.8 and SC branching from 3.7. The second image shows exactly the same thing, except with the trunk coloured in red for some reason, implying that Cryengine branched from LY instead of the other way around, but in such a way that makes literally no difference to anything.

The analogy I use is this: you buy a 2012 Ford Mustang back when it was new. Four years later Ford is going out of business and the company is picked up by Dodge/Chrysler. They start making the 2016 vehicles with their own name on them. Then you make an announcement that you just partnered with Dodge and are now the proud owner of a 2012 Dodge Mustang.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

XK posted:

What What What?

What?

It's impossible to track at this point so it's best for sanity's sake to fall back on the standard CIG logic formula:

1) A thing was done
2) CIG did the thing
therefore
3) The thing was done wrong

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Iglocska posted:

A better allegory would be that Cate took a picture of her face on 03/07 and sent it off to a surgeon to see what he could do with her based on the picture. The surgeon got to work on photoshop to make the adjustments that she should expect.

At the same time she took chainsaw and a sledge hammer to her face to "improve it".

The surgeon in the meanwhile died of a terrible case of lovely finances, but to Cate's surprise a second surgeon also took a copy of the picture she sent in and created a photoshopped image of what he could sculpt out of her. She was absolutely enthusiastic about the result and partially due to the massive brain damage caused by the sledge hammer, she exclaimed to the world that she switched surgeons and that she now looks like the picture the surgeon created.

This is gold.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

ben parry cleared it up though. That's why the changeover was instantaneous, they just started calling their current impossible to deliver clusterfuck of an engine something else which gave backers false hope that they might actually be taking steps toward delivering something that isn't hilariously embarrassing.

We were actually being way too generous in thinking that CIG had upgraded in any way at all, when really they just slapped a Craftsman sticker on a flaming chinese power tool because they both started conceptually with a power cord in the design process.

The net effect of this is how Chris perceives his path forward.

Before it was:

"We're a custom branch off CE 3.7, but Crytek can help us to move forward with our goals."

Now it's:

"We're a custom branch off CE 3.7, but Amazon can help us to move forward with our goals."

The difference will become quite evident when Amazon starts getting these fevered requests for assistance from CIG, reviews what they're trying to do with what is now their systems, and tells them they can eat poo poo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if Amazon is even remotely aware of what's happening with their engine.

They don't know and they don't care. I've worked with these guys before and rule #1 is their integration specialists are trained to say one, and only one, thing if you're a prospective client: "Absolutely."

"Listen, I have some very odd legacy code, can we scale this into your cloud solution?"
"Absolutely."

"OK but this is like Windows 95 poo poo with static IP and SSL 2.0 and it's very old, our old systems actually don't even use the internet, we have a direct connection between our office and the building holding the server."
"Yes, absolutely we can support that, we have a team of dedicated professionals to walk you through any migration challenges you may face."

"OK but actually most of the clients are old Commodore 64 machines hard-coded to attempt to connect to QuantumLink, we use old hacking tools written in 1983 to get them to even boot."
"Yes, absolutely, we've got middleware solutions in place to help you bridge your infrastructure to our cloud."

Chris is a grade-A idiot. He understands not only zero game development, but zero about life in general. And so the scammer becomes the scammed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

So literally nothing has changed what so ever? How is anyone even talking about this?

Bingo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

So Windows XP Media Center edition is branched from Windows XP. This move is basically the same as Microsoft announcing that they've migrated it to "Windows 10 legacy" without changing a single line of code.

How the hell is everyone involved in this so dumb.

Do they have to pay additional licensing fees to Amazon now? lol

It's true that as of right now, nothing has really changed. But this also represents a Hail Mary pass from Chris that Amazon can help them slog through their years of failures where the Crytek engineers couldn't. Now with Amazon's experience and success implementing (a different version of) CryEngine LumberYard with their AWS platform, Star Citizen backers can now experience NETWORK and MESH like never before.

You have to think like a visionary if you're going to be able to see things that aren't there.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

WebDog posted:

She's not doing anything illegal, unless at the time it was not in accordance to her visa obligations.

It's hilarious as it brutally undercuts her attempt to portray herself as this savvy business woman who's got two MBA's and is a marine biologist. All the while trotting out to the press grand tales of taking charge at clubs or events where her marketing skills saved the night or developed some shoes.

The sad reality is she's a vain narcissistic snowflake who dreams of making it big in Hollywood as an actress and/or model. Sandi's sort of fortuitous to have found a niche where she can pretend she's a Hollywood something via Chris.

She got where she is not out of actual talent but pure desperation.
Her resumes pretty much scream "please give me something other than a shoot in a clothing magazine" and any casting agent worth their salt knows to pass over a candidate with a bunch of suspect unaccredited extras roles and padded with workshops. The work she has out there suggests she's not capable of applying herself to a role in any convincing fashion. However Sandi ignores this and expects this all to just change overnight and someone offers her a big break.

Apparently this is to come via her Star Citizen "connections" giving her a role alongside Gillian Anderson and Gary Oldman where the magic of acting will rub off and the casting genie will appear with a role that "her friend Gary" suggested she'd be good in.

And this isn't just Sandi, mind you, it's pretty endemic of thousands of wannabe's who just don't cut it. Many others simply glorify being an extra on a set and brag about the selfie with some lead at the wrap party as evidence of their "success" and they too hope that the adage of "who you know" will allow them to jump up the ladder.

The slightly more canny failures usually form their own casting agencies where they patronize their client base through passive-agressive blogs that mock the frustrations of people who have signed up for them and get no work. Or they go the whole hog and operate as skimmers, working as middlemen and extorting extra fees via dodgy talent competitions and endless casting workshops.

I wish I saved that .gif of her from something she did of her covering someone's eyes then slamming a laptop shut as it's the perfect thing to cut to with the tickle vid.

She's going about it entirely the wrong way, because the tickle vids are the only time I've ever seen her acting like an actual, personable human. Perhaps she should scrap everything else, only market herself as that, and watch the offers start rolling in.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

The interesting question is what can CIG do about it, and what additional infrastructure and/or related costs need to be added server side to control this if any. I am assuming that nothing CIG can do client side would be enough?

Anti-cheating in competitive games is almost an entire discipline unto itself, not a side-effect of just making a game. You can't do much to stop client-side hacking without saddling your game with poo poo like GameGuard or worse, and those are ineffective and controversial. Of course CIG could use their sophisticated team to use serv.... bwahahahahahahahaha

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

Will it have all of this

BASIC PROFESSION FUNCTIONS

Trading – Be able to buy/sell commodities via kiosks and NPCs among the various landing zones.

Cargo Transport – Pick up hauling jobs between landing zones. Automatic cargo load/unload, manual cargo transport.

Piracy and Smuggling – Establish secure/non-secure areas. AI Security response to attacks. Add the ability to retrieve floating cargo from destroyed ships. Create buy/sell system for illicit cargo.

Mercenary – Create Service Beacon System (for Combat Assist Contracts). Create AI distress scenarios.

Bounty Hunter – Accept missions to terminate wanted players and NPCs.

Likely results of how CIG will market the above, vs. what it will actually be:

Statement: - Trading – Be able to buy/sell commodities via kiosks and NPCs among the various landing zones.
CIG Description - Get ready to be Space Trump as you leverage your keen space business sense to make sensible decisions on buying and selling commodities, using real rules of supply and demand to maximize profits and have a deep impact on how the economy functions. Expect your purchases and sales to have a real impact on the game world. Selling guns to a space station under siege can turn the tide of battle!
Actual Implementation: - Exchange imaginary money to imaginary "commodities" which will simply be different names in a database which will not only have no impact on the game universe in any way, but no differentiation from each other as well. Did you buy 100 "units" of space weed and 150 "units" of silicon? Hopefully "Persistence 2.0" can remember how to join SQL tables.

Statement: - Cargo Transport – Pick up hauling jobs between landing zones. Automatic cargo load/unload, manual cargo transport.
CIG Description - The excitement of Space Trucking has arrived in the 'Verse! Use your specialized transport vessel to decide on lucrative trade routes, pick the safest route for guaranteed but marginal profits, or take risks with a more efficient route through a contested sector. You can have cargo robots load/unload automatically, or for added immersion you can control your spaceman who is controlling his hands to load/unload cargo and pack in your vessel the way you see fit, making sure fragile space items don't get crushed by heavier goods.
Actual Implementation: - Exchange imaginary money to imaginary "commodities" and "load them in your ship" which will mean pushing <<USE>> on the loading platform. Your ship's "inventory" will then reflect these "items." If they're feeling really ambitious they might decide to put generic crates in your loading bay that represent this "cargo" but don't hold your breath. Fly somewhere else and push <<USE>> again to complete the delivery.

Statement: - Piracy and Smuggling – Establish secure/non-secure areas. AI Security response to attacks. Add the ability to retrieve floating cargo from destroyed ships. Create buy/sell system for illicit cargo.
CIG Description - Get ready to be Han Solo as you outfit your Constellation to do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. In space everyone will know your name as you swoop between asteroids, avoiding space turrets with your name on them, and terrorizing innocent B'Taks while you scoop up the goods from their debris. You'll have to think fast and find lawless stations to dump illicit cargo, but the rewards are all the greater for your bravery in facing down hostile AI ships all programmed with your unique 'Verse space social security number. All in a day's work, pirate.
Actual Implementation: - Turrets that either don't work or will kill you instantly will be near stations, and will shoot at you based on whether or not a flag is set reflecting if you've killed another player recently. Flying near cargo in space will make them despawn while a number in your cargo inventory goes up. Items will have a boolean variable for "illicit" and you can only sell them in select places. We're hoping to get with Bethesda to ask them how they did this in Skyrim.

Statement: - Mercenary – Create Service Beacon System (for Combat Assist Contracts). Create AI distress scenarios.
CIG Description - Don't go it alone! Bring beacons along that will allow you to call for assistance if stranded, under attack, or if you want to host and impromptu space party! But be careful, responding to a signal just might be a Vanduul trap, as you warp into what you think is a friendly assist and wind up surrounded by hostile forces! Will you fight or flee, pilot?
Actual Implementation: - Create a dot on a map that players can navigate to and find your isolated, friendless rear end floating in space saying "HI" over the comm every 30 seconds. Fly to NPC dots on the map that will be a single ship in space with an NPC broadcasting "Thank god your[sic] here" or a single pirate vessel that will circle you while shooting a red laser in your general direction.

Statement - Bounty Hunter – Accept missions to terminate wanted players and NPCs.
CIG Description - In the 'Verse, all actions have consequences! The game will track those players who choose a life of crime, and let them be warned: you'll be hunted by real life players, with all the excitement and unpredictability that entails! Be careful what you do, and where you do it, or you might find yourself in the crosshairs of a better pilot! If you're not a pirate, then you can help make the 'Verse safe for others by taking lucrative bounties out on other players! Be careful, they earned that reputation - bring friends!
Actual Implementation: - Buckle in, Commando, as we dive into an endless forum war of hypotheticals regarding whether or not people should be allowed to kill an innocent player in the first place. Be prepared to hit "Reply" and add your useless opinions on how "flagging" should work. Spend months bogged down in details while CIG does absolutely nothing to handle the simplest of logistical concerns about bounty hunting, like how you're going to find the motherfucker in the first place. However we decide to approach the problem. you can rest assured it will be the worst implementation possible.