Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Word from the Herd is the pay at Foundry 42 is not that great, or at least its nothing to write home about.
Dunno personally, because I've not even considered applying for a job there (I'd have to be *very* desperate, and that's just talking about living in Manchester... ;) )

Just digging around on TCE at the moment. I've dragged up one possible pay point for the Santa Monica studio, $85k for a graphics coder (2016), dunno if thats good or bad as I'm UK based.

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Thats £67,088 exactly. Not sure what a graphics coder would get these days but about 10 years ago it was more like £30-35k, highest I ever heard for similar work was £48k but that guy had awesomely specific qualifications that defied belief.

It certainly doesn't sound very industry average to me, but I'm way out of date on that stuff nowadays. :shrug:

In the post where it was mentioned, the poster did'nt think it was that great. Maybe the cost of living there is higher perhaps. £67k is a damned decent UK games dev wage. I'm pretty close to 48k myself, so Hell if F42 was paying that sort of salary I'd consider it... ;)

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think it's a viable development strategy to have multiple current builds out to your nonprofessional test squad, maybe even one tailored build for each evocatus

True story, at one company where I worked (not my current one I may add) we actually did this for the review build. Each build had a tiny change, an unique ID buried in the code. We wanted to work out who was leaking our builds to the pirates (in the end it turned out not to be the reviewers, so it was a waste of time)

But yea sending out multiple differing builds is a bigger pain in the rear end than is really worth it.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It seems to be a joke everywhere.

More of an Eyeroll these days. Thing is we've almost all worked on one or another of these over scoped , overambitious projects.
The difference is they either got canned halfway through production, or got massively descoped in order to get them made and out of the door.

You don't always get to see it happen to someone else...

Eldragon posted:

never realize its mostly smoke and mirrors.

To be fair you just described 90% of game development. Smoke and Mirrors generally nets faster code, and if it *looks* and *plays* right, then its right even if its wrong. ;)

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 23, 2017

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

no one understands game development

you just spend a bunch of money and one day, you have a game

some people say its magic, fueled by the powers of beliefs and dreams, but I dunno about all that

I'm just happy to get whatever they can put out

This is entirely true.
I'm been in game development for nearly 20 years now, and I still don't know what I'm doing...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Yes.

The shitlord Fedora is a permanent feature, even on his linkedin profile.

Speaking of, I wonder who wrote these glowing references for him:

He copied them off someone elses linkedin profile?

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

MinorInconvenience posted:

It wouldn't be the first Kickstarter than ended up in bankruptcy.

There's a brilliant BBC documentary from the 80's about Imagine, where the BBC are filming the offices, next second the Bailiffs kick in the door of the games companies offices and start taking everything, as well as the CEO's porsche.

Hilarious.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

the leaks also specifically pointed out the core problems with model size vs interior sizes, which roberts said was a problem earlier this year

but obviously I just make this stuff up and then CIG is nice enough to confirm them for me

I can confirm all the mocap stuff was a mess and had to be reshot, I work with someone who's wife was working with the mocap studio at the time.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

It's complete. Ship it...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Orions Lord posted:

Just over 100 posts this last 24 hours.

All time low and prove Star Citizen is now really dying.

Or just the lulz before the storm.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

EightAce posted:

Purely hypothetical of course and totally NOT true in any way .
But imagine if Gary Parpman was promised a royalty based on his performance , imagine that he took a slight pay cut for this . Imagine he signed a specific deal for the use of his likeness.
Now imagine that somehow CIG were deemed to have used his image inappropriately. Say like releasing pre-production mocap set ups and unauthored textures of his face etc . Now let’s pretend that CIG have slipped ever so slightly behind with sq42 and those royalties seem less and less likely, even so far as Mr Parpmans original contract clearly specified a date that has now sailed past . Let’s say that Mr Parpman has called his agent ....

Now lets check if Mr Parpmans agent is the same one he had when filming Sq42

Like I said, just a hypotheseis from a low level wig technician that once walked past the LA office

I've also not heard, through the grapevine, that they were not having problems getting Parpman to do pickups, which may not be related to the above.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

"tooterfish" posted:

So is yours.

I see you have him wriggling in the crushing grip of reason there...

(for those who don't get the reference (shame on you) http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1987/01/18 )

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 26, 2017

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Snek agrees with you

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

whoa whoa, actually playing a game? that doesn't sound very cinematic to me

I've heard wicked rumors that designers at HBS also listen to the coders and implement design changes based on feedback...

Dark Arts indeed.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

drluv posted:

So, it's just an advanced form of bumpmapping?

Possibly parallax or parallax occlusion mapping.

Parallax Mapping (good example as this example shows its limitations when viewed on edge)
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4lSGRh

Parallax Occlusion mapping (seriously better, but still suffers from viewing on edge limitations, also slow as it uses ray marching)
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XslBRM

Final example, why parallax mapping is a seriously good choice when you are using dynamic lighting.
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/ldSyzK

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Remember, the whole box must be cunsummed in one sitting while watching "Wing Commander, The Movie" and be finished by the scroll of the ending credits.

Do you know how hard that is?
I've never managed to watch the whole movie through, not once, ever!

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Forced FPS animations combined with VR is basically a trip straight to barf town.

VR camera controls are pretty tricky beasts. When I was working on Dirt Rally, we had to decouple the camera from certain crash situations (which are physics based) to reduce the problems associated with nausea.
For example the camera temporarily decouples from the drivers head node when the car starts to roll. Its critical you do things like this if you want your game to even be remotely playable in VR, oh and having a high FPS is critical, and no longer a "nice thing to have", that effects the whole team too, as everyone has to code and design assets for efficiency.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Quavers posted:

Efficiency is the enemy of fidelity, and counter to the vision of Christ Roberts. Begone, Star Citizen hater

Funny story.
A couple of weeks back a recruiter for F42's manchester studio contacted someone here, when that person asked what the job security was like, the recruiter said they'd check and get back to them.
They never did get back to my mate... Go figure.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Beexoffel posted:

Interesting how one commenter, Mr. Blobers, avoids answering the straightforward question if he is a CIG employee.

There's a bit of snickering going on regarding the water simulation over at the TCE forums, nice to see as the Star Citizen thread is been in hibernation there for a while.
A few devs pointing out that CIG should really be nailing gameplay before messing around with this sort of thing.

Its interesting, as unless this is critical to SC's development, then this sort of research is what you do between projects when there is nothing else to do.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG should have been nailing gameplay back in 2012, let alone 2017.

I clearly do not understand games development...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

starkebn posted:

What do you expect when the last time your developer did any programming it was during the era of batch files being used to enable ems and set i/o addresses for sound cards

If they are using something like FMod it's not impossible, I only discovered this was a problem on OFP:Dragon Rising when we decided to use a couple of spare Blade servers to do some soak testing.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Krycek posted:

Yes, and it's glorious. The grey market quadrupled in value within hours and all us filthy goon leavers have bought back in.

It's so good even Derek is claiming CRoberts is a visionary genius.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

Uh this seems like something you'd wanna nail down pretty early on when making a space game.

g = 9.8f

double4 newObjectPos = objectpos;
for( int i= 0; i < numgravitybodies; ++i )
{
vec = objectpos - gravitybodies[i];
normalise(vec)
vec *= g;
newObjectPos += vec;
}

intergrate( objectPos, newObjectPos);

There you go, solved the orbital mechanics... probably with enough bugs to be worthy of SC code to boot.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

XK posted:

Lando keeps looking into the camera like a character in a movie with a voiceover saying, "Can you believe this poo poo?"

Or cries out "don't" just as someone does something that the build can't handle, like when DJ went to shoot the pilot in the head.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Brian Chambers, knows less than Jon Snow...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Dante80 posted:

I still cannot get over the fact that they forgot to put space in the space demo. The guy fell like a rock from orbit, ...

To be fair, falling back to ground from very high up is all rather traditional, after all I seriously doubt the commando had enough velocity to actually enter an orbit.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Dante80 posted:

Nope, that is not fair. The game will not be designed with orbital velocities in mind, the whole system is based on the frame of reference technique. In other words, ships are entering and exiting planets vertically (sci-fi and all).

In that gamey context, if you are in space, you should stay there. His ship was already outside the atmosphere.

Not if you are constantly integrating g to simulate gravity, it won't matter how high you get up, you still need to integrate your velocity vector by g (or if you are doing a *very* high end sim, you scale g by distance, but that take a couple of AU to really scale g to a small enough scalar to not matter, but I digress)

Honestly, if someone stopped computing gravity above an arbitrary altitude in something that purported to be a sim, then they really would need slapping...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Dante80 posted:

That is exactly what they have said they will do, and it also makes a lot of sense from a game standpoint (this is not a simulation) in a universe where ships have anti-gravity tech etc.

And they are not even doing that in the demo (because they would need more than one cryengine level, they would need to change the instance, and they can't because this is a smoke and mirrors demo, not a working 15m slice of the actual 3.0 alpha).

They have actually said they are turning off planetary gravity when ships are in space? Seriously?
Dear God this project gets worse and worse...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Polish Avenger posted:

They'll probably make 7th Fleet Destroyer crews look well rested (I am not in the military don't @ me)

Actually, that could explain a lot. The devs are hallucinating so much it causes all kinds of confusion as to what's in the game already.

Yep, there is a point where you have crunched for so long, you are doing nearly as much damage to the build as your are fixing, and because you are tired, and not thing straight / rushed for time half your fixes are really hacks, that cause other problems further down the line. Crunch is a very bad thing, both for the coders and the project, and any company that thinks its good, its a company to be avoided.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

there's also the lulz that the darkside of Daymar is definitely out there folks! Just a shame you cant quite get around our huge genuine spherical planet in the 15 minutes between resets.

I wonder if you cannot go to the other side of the planet because the game is still using CryEngines gravity system, which means if you are standing on the bottom of the sphere/planet, you fall off it, downwards, into space...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Variable 5 posted:

Lol you think it's a sphere

Sure, spheres are super easy. I suspect even the graduate coders at CIG know how to do the basic deform a cube mesh into a sphere mesh which is the basis of a lot of planetary renderers. Its *real* basic 101 level stuff.
I'm sure you could work out how to do it yourself if you sat down with a bit of paper, (hint it's all about treating the points in the mesh as vectors and the correct normalisation of said vectors)

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

BeigeJacket posted:

My main takeaways are

5) Chambers, when asked a question about gravity/atmospheres clearly, clearly, painfully obviously didn't know what they were talking about. Head tech guy for a space game ffs!

Unforgivable.
Given if you go onto Nasa's website, they literally take you through how to do the physics of an standard atmosphere model line by line, again it's pretty basic stuff, that you can code up in an afternoon should you so wish.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/atmosmet.html

Graphically it's a bit more complex, but its a very well trod and understood area of rendering.
However an afternoon of reading papers by Eric Bruneton or Tomoyuki Nishita and you'll have a grasp of the basics of how to render an atmosphere.

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 23, 2017

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

chochmah posted:

Millions of square miles of explorable terrain per moon...

Great procedural landscape generation CiG got going there. Possibly just a bunch of tiled and blended maps.

Thing is, that using straight up perlin noise/brownian octaves to generate landscapes does'nt generate anything that looks realistic, those two techniques are pretty much the defacto for procgen, and have been for the past couple of decades.
So you need to seed your random generator with some actual data. This is not hard, as easy as making the first octave of the function contain hand crafted data points (usually from a set of blended DEM files)
Thats just lazy.

From that picture, it really looks like CIG has gone down the laziest possible route, of just mashing some height maps together.
God knows if they are even using fractal generation to interpolate additional detail between those points... (Hell Outerra uses this simple approach and gets really good results, http://www.outerra.com/)
Which is a shame as there is a way to generate really realistic landscapes from proc data, such as the approach taken here:
http://www.howardzzh.com/research/terrainr/

No signs that CIG have even tried to use this 10 year old technique.

Lazy.

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 24, 2017

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Everything's jerky as gently caress.

Always had been, when I first looked at the hanger module years ago (before Arena Commander was even out), the FPS was so bad that I checked the exe because I thought they'd put out the Debug version of the build by mistake.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

aleksendr posted:

That or the whole thing is Jank floating on putrid code.

What does your heart tell you?

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

AutismVaccine posted:

Star Citizen: 'finishing the game' is... pretty loose

MVP confirmed...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What time is the presentation?

7:00 UTC I think.

It'll be good, so good that by 7:30 we'll all be giving our life savings to our Lord and Saviour, CRobberts.

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 25, 2017

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Ramadu posted:

whats that in american

-26:00 o clock.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Whats that in EST, aka God's Timezone.

-4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Summary of the playable build for the MMO Star Citizen five years into development.
We did stuff* on a planet**

*. Lots of boring stuff
**. Not actually a planet. And not actually a moon either.

In fact its a carefully handcrafted/procedurally generated moon/planet/level, that has no repeating terrain features whatsoever...