Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

his nibs posted:

operation Scorched Girth

Is that the one where someone sets fire to Ben?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Watch the new call of duty lunch sequence.

I particularly liked the ham and lettuce sandwich scene.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have heard Elite in VR is a transformational experience.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. Still the best VR experience out there from everything I've tried.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

The penny has finally dropped it seems

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

wait does he mean the Elite Dangerous that started development 2 years before Star Citizen? I guess he must, we know shitizens have a terrible grasp of time

Elite: Dangerous is unique in the fact that the shitizens believe both that a) It's been in development for about 20 years, and b) It's just copying Star Citizen.

Morons the lot of 'em.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Star Citizen wins Most Likely to Flop in 2017 award on Massively OP: http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/18/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-most-likely-to-flop/

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

tooterfish posted:

To be fair, SC has alreay delivered the best mutliplayer space sim around, and its barely even developed. It unlikely they will ever live up to the hype, but whats theyve shown is already very impressive.

The only thing impressive about what they've delivered so far is how bad it is.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

if I can't play a game on full settings I get a new graphics card, I am in no way saying this is the right thing to do it is just the way I am :v:

Same here. It's got rather expensive since I bought a 4k monitor sadly. ;)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

ALL OF THEM!

Fantastic. They'll probably get weeks (not months) of enjoyment from those JPEGs

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

Who shows up for a professional meeting dressed like that?

Easy. A software developer. ;)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

i think so but im sure he can tell you in about a thousand words

And after you've read that preamble he'll go into exquisite detail for another 10k.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Gravity_Storm posted:

'Lets sell the Millenium Falcon! Sandi can play dead Leia!'

Is her acting ability up to the level of playing a corpse though?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Libluini posted:

And just yesterday in E:D, I travelled from one star in a binary system to another, crossing 490k light seconds. So I overkilled SC's "available" space even more.

By the way, it took me 7 minutes in supercruise. :v:

Hutton Orbital is 0.22Ly (6,784,404 ls) from the primary star in Alpha Centauri. That's a good 45 minute trek in supercruise.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree the public figure argument is a poor one.

Especially when the word "oval office" is far more appropriate it seems.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Nicholas posted:

A fact I haven't seen brought up with regards to CIGs plan for infinite scaling using AWS, is that while new servers can be spun up to increase player connections, the database does not scale at all. As soon as you clone a database for a new instance it gets out of sync, and you can't just merge all the new information together in later on. All clients must be communicating to a single database. This is probably the reason why Lumberhard specifically states that it's not suitable for anything persistant across instances (such as an MMO)

I'm not sure how most MMO's handle it; I'm guessing it's probably a combination of sharding servers, having a hard cap on the number of simultanious connections (so definitely not "infinite scaling"), and being really careful about what each client is writing back to the database (so no millions of NPCs doing things that update tables constantly for no reason)

Frontier did an interesting talk at AWS re:Invent 2015 about how they use AWS for Elite: Dangerous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJPyjmfdz0

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

ewe2 posted:

Be sure to remind this one of his words in the future :D

Ha, he edited it for more hilarity

I think I triggered him. ;)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Hav posted:

God created forks and spoons to be different from the start. I don't know why you think that spoons are spontaneously becoming forks, but we keep them apart in silverware drawers for a reason, you filthy liberal.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

intardnation posted:

diet is 60%, exercise is 20%

As the saying goes, "You can't out-exercise your mouth".

Upping protein levels in your diet is a great help. You don't need to go full-on Atkins ketosis levels (unless you a bodybuilder on the run up to a competition), just cut out as many superfluous simple carbs from your diet as possible (bread, pasta, pastries of any kind, and definitely no coke/pepsi style drinks) and up your protein intake a bit (tuna, chicken breasts, egss are all good options). I lost a ton of weight this way a few years ago and didn't even feel like I was on a diet at all, I was just eating slightly differently to normal.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm confused fellow Starballer. I thought 3.0/SQ42 was out before the end of the 2016.

I think it was "by the end of the year" but he never specified which year. ;)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They're making 2 AAA (arguably AAAA) games. It was always the plan to have SQ42 bring in tons of money. This is not new info.

That's what they claim they're trying to do, sadly they seem to be only capable of F's at best.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

What is funny about it? If everyone does it enough it becomes a "joke"?

Its a nervous laugh at best trying to pass off fear.

TIL it's possible to be scared of a non-existent video game... actually no, it's not, that would be retarded.

Mu77ley fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 16, 2017

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Madcosby posted:

Just curious, how would people in thjs thread rate derek smarts games?

Couldn't say as I've never played one.

In fact, until the shitizens started giving him free publicity I'd never heard of the man. ;)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

You should watch the townhall. Theres clearly a plan in place.

Yes, and that plan is "obfuscate as much as possible, avoid answering difficult questions and hope that the less intelligent amongst our backers keep throwing money at us"

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I honestly don't know how anyone can watch that whole thing and not feel the project is in a good place. these are the high level guys.

You really are a credulous buffoon, aren't you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2JInyMoPc

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Eldragon posted:

So 3.0 is the Jesus patch eh? When should we expect to see it?

Before the end of last year!

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

That's Agile dev for you. Constant iterations. Basic software dev honestly.

As a scrum master, I say you're full of poo poo!

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I was hoping to have more backup by this point but I think SC is pretty good now as it is.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

I've seen a video where the two girls share a really full Star Citizen cup, so this must be true.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

his nibs posted:

The Bell of Big Ben

FYI, Big Ben is the bell, the tower is called Elizabeth Tower.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

The Kickstarter was used partially to gauge interest, and the base game cost between £8-9 million, meaning the majority of development money came from FDev themselves.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

The Titanic posted:

How can you, as someone familiar with VR, look at the many times where player view control is violently ripped away for the sake of the fidelity animations, and assume that VR was ever in the cards?

Let alone the "cinematic" 24 FPS that SC seems to target but fails to achieve most of the time...

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm sure CIG will handel this.

Hope so, otherwise this stuff will come bach to bite them.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Xaerael posted:

OK, so I'm still seething over the "Forefather" statement.

I'm going to say something that is in no way meant to be an exaggeration.

Asteroids on the Atari 2600 is a more realistic space sim than Wing Commander.

Stick that in your vape and huff it, you lovely wankhole citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Pr8yC8_F4

Asteroids by S. Munnery on the Vic 20 is a more realistic space sim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QWgw1Ngd8I

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Tippis posted:

Might have been from that period when the Luftwaffe was just a “flying enthusiast club” — I'm sure they just had some totally unaffiliated rich benefactor that arranged these fun club days when the boys only goofed off a bit. Nothing that contravenes the Versailles treaty, surely.

It was a glider club...

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Several years to go then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I hope it's the wing commander license the cult would explode with impotent rage.

Realistically it's Jurassic park. Braben has gone about dinosaur big game hunting in the past, and they do theme park stuff very well.

Probably true. I'd much prefer a decent Dune or Blade Runner game though (both of which have new films coming in 2018)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

I've never quite understood how people can say the Elite: Dangerous is unambitious. If you just look at DB's statement of intent for what they want to add to the game, it's way more ambitious than Star Citizen's lofty goals have ever been. It's just that, unlike CIG, Frontier don't like making promises until they know they can actually deliver them.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Megalomania was Jon Hare.

Pukka design

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

The bearded lady on the left looks like shes begging, the guy on the right looks like he's about to start beating the lady. :shrug:

Do "goonies" have a different version of SomethingAwful we can register on? Wait, are we goons or goonies? I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TheAgent posted:

what the gently caress are you even doing roberts

Repeating history