Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Hav posted:

Ask yourself the question about what kind of person you are if you dream of a job stacking boxes in your truck.

Funny you should ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

starkebn posted:

since when have CIG spoken about being able to buy a sweet-rear end forklift in Star Citizen?

It's not a forklift silly, it's a Flurförderfahrzeug, something that Foundry 42 in Frankfurt have been secretly working on.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Welcome friend, please share your Star Citizen story, this is a friendly space

Thank you, kind SA person.

It all started in the mists of game development time, 2012.
I was eagerly looking for a new game to waste money on, when I heard a rumour of a possible comeback from Coding Guru - Christopher Roberts.
I think I may still have a poster of him, or perhaps he is in my Scrapbook titled,
"Coding Legends of the 80-90's- Where Are they Now?"

Anyhoo, I digress.

I eagerly jumped on to the Kickstarter site looking for said game, but hailing from a country other than the Unites States, was wary of said Kickstarter.
The whole setup looked a tad dodgy.

But word was afoot that CIG would be opening their own site, where donations could be donated for 'packages'.
Once that occurred, I jumped straight on to donating for a 'Freelancer' package, as a homage to the mind numbingly brilliant job that 'The King of Code - Chris Roberts'™ had performed on the game with the same name (until the wet blanket, Micro$oft, spoiled the party)

The rest, as they say, is history.

I have been eagerly watching the refactoring of Star Citizen ever since.
I still possess my package, as I really want that 8 Gig spaceship thumb drive.

I stumbled upon this forum of like minded optimists, after googling "Is Dyson OK for performing fellatio"
No idea what half of that meant, but I'm teaching myself Latin and it sounded like a fun combo.

Thanks for listening.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
I looked up the word masochist using alta vista and this was the first video I came across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BMfpF7L8F4

Apparently these chaps partake in slideshow simulator on a weekly basis.

Looking forward to the network rework in patch 3.0

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

It's a real messi.

I read that with an Italian accent.
It works.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
In a past life, I was a Stevedore, so that means that I'm allowed to do docks stuff.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

notoriousman posted:

it's just as likely to be a close-knit cabal of overzealous fans spending their own time, money and energy on this astroturfing campaign out of love for all the enjoyment they've gotten from playing Star Citizen.

Woah there cowboy, let's not toss out baseless accusations there.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

quote:

Thank you for contacting the ACCC. We appreciate you taking the time to write to us.

Our website provides information about your rights as a consumer and how to resolve a dispute about a product or service. See: https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers

We will respond to you where we have information that may help you, or you have asked a question about your rights or obligations under the law. Please don't expect a response if you have simply reported information to us.

All responses will be provided within 15 working days.

Please also see our website for information about what we can and can’t do for consumers and the types of matters we prioritise. We cannot tell you whether we will investigate a matter you report to us, nor provide legal advice

Enquiry description:
This is an initial inquiry with regards to my consumer rights for a purchase made for physical goods and software (as a package) from an overseas vendor.
The vendor in question is https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge
I made this purchase in 2012 and am now having concerns that my initial purchase, as advertised, may not be delivered. This 'game', although still being developed, is taking a lot longer than promised. Any information that you could provide would be appreciated, including my rights for a refund request (under Australian consumer Law) for a purchase made with an overseas entity and what actions are available to me if this company refuses. There are many Australians in a similar position and finding a definitive answer has not been easy, so any information provided by you, I will look at disseminating for other consumers information.
Curiosity has gotten the better of me, so I'm waiting to see what the official stance is.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

boviscopophobic posted:

The UI is confusing here. There is one sheet of paper for each of the three choices, but apparently I have to explicitly write that my choice is A even if I write on the A sheet of paper? If I vote for B, do I mark B on the A sheet or do I mark B on the B sheet?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

radd posted:

If you melt the cheese, you will have to buy it back later and it will no longer have LTI.

Better to get a Cross Cheese Upgrade (CCU).

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
Received a reply from the ACCC

quote:

Thank you for writing to us about your software purchase. We have recorded the details of your report. We can offer you information about your consumer rights and how to resolve a dispute with a business.
Resolving your dispute with an overseas supplier
The first thing you should do is write to the supplier. If writing to the supplier doesn't resolve your problem, you should contact the Federal Trade Commission in the United States, where the software company is based.
Your rights: shopping online
All your usual consumer rights apply when you shop with an Australian online business.
Our view is that the Australian Consumer Law also applies when you buy from an overseas online business. However, if a problem arises with your purchase, you might experience practical difficulties in obtaining a remedy from them because they are not based in Australia.
Online businesses selling goods and services must:
• ensure products and services meet Australian safety regulations
• not mislead you or hide costs and other details from you
• compete fairly to ensure a variety of choices on quality and price
• give you automatic guarantees with the right to obtain a remedy if there is a problem
• have the right to sell you a product–it mustn’t be stolen and must belong to the business or individual, without any outstanding debts.
We have recorded your report
We appreciate you reporting your matter to us. All information is potentially valuable to help us identify trends and where we can most effectively direct our resources, so we encourage you to report any behaviour or business practice that is concerning to you.
What the ACCC does with information from reports
The ACCC focuses on enforcing the laws we administer in circumstances that have the potential to harm the competitive process or result in widespread consumer or business detriment. We use reports received from the public and small business, as well as other sources of intelligence, to inform our work. When the ACCC takes action, it is to remedy market problems; we are not a complaint handling body and don’t resolve individual disputes. You can read more about how we prioritise our work and what we can and can't do for consumers on our website.
We hope the information we have provided today will help you to resolve your dispute.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Meridian posted:

Can I race go carts in that game?

I think you're confusing it with Arma 3, an understandable mistake.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

AP posted:

I really don't mind a slow thread when nothing is happening. Following this mess has been hilarious but time consuming.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/871813562037002240

If he'd fallen off his bike and broken his wrists, productivity would probably have shot up.

CR: Now if you shine a torch behind me, I can make a butterfly with my hands. I want butterflies like that on planets.
Planets with atmospheres and butterflies, yep, that's what I want. And I want butterfly subsumption.
What do you mean your only an artist?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Besides the carpet that hasn't been vacuumed in 20 loving years, about the only two things in my mind left to identify is what is next to the katana on the floor and the black toy thing with red boots sitting on the shelf.

I can meet you half way
https://mrsred.com/products/robby-the-robot

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Fortunately I have a small squadron stowed away in my cargo containers for a counter-attack.

Unfortunately, I broke both my grabby hands and I won't be able to unload them for another couple of weeks months.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
Well I certainly hope that 48 Hrs Non-Stop Power Leveling is worth the 80 bucks I paid.
https://www.starcitizen-store.com/star-citizen-powerleveling

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

trucutru posted:

The most popular pizza in Italy, Pizza Margherita, is sweet.

I wouldn't trust those fuckers, they'll change their mind quicker than you can say Mussolini.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bloody Hell, now that idiot is going to start haunting https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2645590&p=-1&#bottom again.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Rudager posted:

Cya on the front line commando!

That thread was the huge eye opener to me when I couldn't believe that people would be throwing thousands of dollars a day at CiG because literally the only discussion going on was about all their sales purchases, and they were always buying because there were always sales and "bargains" to be had.

EDIT: I still remember his crazy meltdown when I pointed out the end of year video or something, whatever the one was that they pulled from Youtube because it was so poo poo, wasn't available and he fired back with the company line of "it'll be back, it just got DCMA'd by haters reporting it" and then pointed out later it still wasn't up that he went and linked to the twitch archive video with a "see, it's still up you dumb goonie, stop spreading the FUD!"

I remember fondly a PM discussion where the bell-end himself started out by declaring himself the winner in a discussion.
Here's a teaser of my reply

quote:

See this is the thing, you come across as believing in only what you want to believe.
I hate to break it to you, but in a debate, you don't get to score yourself. So you telling me I'm wrong, kinda doesn't cut the mustard.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

Called it, Star Citizen is late :smug:

Fairly certain I thought it first and being in the future, means I win :shrug:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Wrecked Angle posted:

I think you'll find it's a ~~partnership~~

...isn't that right Ortwin? :wink:

Fixed that for you

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

ewe2 posted:

Happy Gamescon! Have some new parp!

Features:

* dumb music
* dumb lyrics
* parps
* kazoo and real fake accordion!
* no noses were harmed in the production of this disaster.

Well done compadre

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
..........And so on and so on and so on over in Gods Country, where an argument has broken out about wether a person is purchasing Star Citizen or pledging.............

quote:

Wrong, they haven't supplied the product, as advertised, so you are entitled to a refund.

The "product" is your reward level, and of course they haven't supplied it, because it's still in development. Effectively, the money you pledge is for the developers to work on the product. You are not entitled to a refund just because you change your mind about it.

This is why I dislike using the term "purchase" for this. It's not a purchase. There's nothing to buy at this time. You can't purchase something that does not exist. You're pledging your money to a group to work on a product you like, and when it's ready, you'll receive a reward level you have chosen.

When the product is finished, then and only then, can you claim it is not as advertised

I get so tired trying to discuss with the irrational and then I remember what game development I'm discussing and I just sigh.

EDIT:
As a retort with regards to the word purchase

quote:

On September 1st, 2017, we are required to begin charging GST (Goods and Services Tax) on certain transactions from Australia in compliance with recent changes in the Australian tax code governing e-commerce. Starting on the 1st, Australian citizens will see a price increase of 10% on digital items purchased through the robertsspaceindustries.com website. This change will not apply to physical merchandise.
Now those crazy buggers at CIG have used the term purchase.
I'd really like it if you dropped CIG a line letting them know that it's not a purchase.

Rugganovich fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 17, 2017

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Awesome! posted:

is r/dereksmart pro or anti derek smart

Fair and Balanced ™

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They use repurposed aircraft-grade metal, yes, but the website that sells it ( or at the very least a diff vendor and same desk) claims they use "screwed rivets" which they claim is a thing for old planes, which I've literally never heard of.

That's certainly bullshit, as aircraft are made using solid rivets and are hammered on the outside up against a solid surface. A screw rivet would never be used, due to vibrations causing it to become loose.

For this and more information on aircraft building please visit http://www.icanbuildanaircraftinanafternoon.com

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ive seen rivets with what look like screw heads on the surface, but thats just due to the particular rivet and method of installing it, right? Its obviously not an actual screw rivet.

A true rivet is

quote:

A type of permanent mechanical fastener, a rivet is any of multiple types of metal pins, used to hold together two plates of metal or other material. Upon installation, the headless end of a rivet is beaten out or pressed down to keep the fastener in place.
and are used in ship/aircraft any heavy duty construction etc
A screw rivet is just a decorative nut and bolt, like this,
So in conclusion I would like to say that that furniture site is sprouting BS as no aircraft would use a 'screw rivet'.

Rugganovich fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 21, 2017

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Toops posted:

The thing that haunts me: how did :pgabz: know the secret ingredient was bears?

I wonder what Sandi's comedy animal is?

Really? You had to ask?

A Tasmanian Devil of course.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Phi230 posted:

How do you beat down or press the headless end of a rivet

The art of riveting, takes two to tango.
One poor bugger to brace the round head of the rivet and another on the other side to beat the poo poo out of it with a hammer or a pneumatic hammer

Or in the usual home/light use, using a blind/pop rivet and a rivet gun

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
OK, I have to ask. Is this ATC feature an existing promise or have CIG created another feature to tack onto the list of dreams?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Mangoose posted:

No punching below the belt.

Moma, care to comment?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

TheAgent posted:

why are there no tits here

why

To cheer you up I tried to find a picture of a red breasted mattress thrasher, but all I could find was this.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

EmesiS posted:

Good goons of this shithole. I need new headphones, as my current ones are leaking fidelity, and I do not know what to buy next. My energy for investigation is also lacking fidelity, so I need some assistance from the known audiophiles. Currently I am using a dated pair of Sony MDR-SA3000 and I would like something of similar quality. I'll budget something between a Phoenix and a Polaris and I like an over the ear profile, I previously enjoyed Sennheisers and Signets but I have been out of the sound and noise game for too long to know anything. I prefer the treble side of the sound range and I listen to lots of terrible poo poo but the most recent trends have Faith No More, Sublime, and Philip Glass in the highest rotation. TIA

Have used Beyerdynamic for years on my ears, so I recommend the DT 770 PRO and up. That being said, I'd really prefer if you could listen to the headphones in person as one mans aural ecstasy is anothers 'arghhhh'.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
Need to add that because I have ears that make an Indian Elephant not look so smug, I gave my headphones to the daughter. I play my tunes/games through a pair of JBL LSR 305's , neighbours be damned.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Tippis posted:

Comparing to the 1990s is a red herring anyway — it was the decade when a lot of genres were invented or at least formalised, but that happened because it could, not because games were abnormally great or different. It was just that before that, much of what was being done simply wasn't possible. So to use the rate of innovation as an argument why gaming is bad these days is just a cheap out… never mind that innovation is still happening. If anything, it just suggests that it takes a decade or two for a genre to be fully established, so it's hardly surprising if the ones that are arriving now have yet to find the same kind of audience.

The only thing that has really happened over the last few years is a massively reduced threshold for making a game and getting it on the market, partly because of a lot of new tools being made available, partly because of the availability of easy store fronts and sales platforms, and partly because… well… the market has grown and there is a demand for it, so everyone and their catte rushes in to capitalise.

That doesn't mean there are now fewer good games than there were 20 years ago. It just means they have to be that much more good to make a mark and that you have to wade through a lot more that you're not interested in to find the stuff you want. An embarrassment of riches does not mean that the 15p microwave dinner you splurged on back when you were poor and were used to 5p instant noodles qualifies as fine dining. It probably tasted great, but trying to argue that it was a better meal and a better time because your filet mignon didn't come with string beans is just silly.

This guy gets it. I recently replayed Dune 2 and had a ball. It was as good as I remember when I played it on the Amiga.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Golli posted:

So as an inevitable consequence of headphone chat, I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and a Fiio E10K DAC/AMP.

Sounds good to me, but I am concerned about the impedance range mismatch - 190 ohm max for the amp, 250 ohm for headphones.

Should I be?

No.
The old rule of thumb of 1/8th output impedance to headphone rule.
So as long as your amp can output 31.25 Ω, you're golden.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

reverend crabhands posted:

What means this?????

So I have one of those Objective2 amps. Not the jdlabs one but they're all the same, on their page it says :

So low impedance is good (or bad)??

Or maybe you want as low as possible but within 1/8th?

On the tech specs bit (https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/) it says "Output Impedance 0.54 ohms".

So I can only drive a 4 ohm headphone?

The headphones I have (ATH-40X) are 35 ohms it seems. :confused:

No mate, that amp is all good.
From that you quoted, it would mean the lowest impedance headphones that amp would drive would be 4 ohms.

From their page:

quote:

Max Output (33 Ohms) 613 mW
Max Output (150 Ohms) 355 mW
Max Output (600 Ohms) 88 mW

So probably the simplest way to describe it is that the higher the resistance (impedance) of the headphones, the lower the volume.

EDIT: and thankyou to combat theory for the in depth explanation.

Rugganovich fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 4, 2017

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bofast posted:

Only an idiot would keep giving money to Croberts after 3.0 was delayed by two months.
Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would keep giving money to Croberts after nearly 12 months.

Quoted for posterity.

Although I fall into the 'bastard son of an idiot" category, as I still have my toe in the Star Citizen cesspool.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

Why the gently caress would a sweater need kickstarting.

The alpacas need kick-starting, especially on cold mornings. They really are a bastard to start.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Lando is the "wild card" I think. At any given moment when he's on screen it looks like he's about to snap and start screaming about how it's all a scam and CIG are harvesting the organs of Full Sail graduates in the basement. Soylent Citizen is people!

Mate, if you seriously believe that..... He's loving every minute being part of this gravy train. No more low grade cardboard boxes for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
As Star Citizen is all about fiction, humble bundle have a collection of assorted Science Fiction ebooks. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/adventures-in-science-fiction-books , enjoy.