Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

I don't know what you guys are talking about, SC is great and fun and good. :colbert:

My favorite part so far has to be when the thargoids started attacking. It's added a lot of spookiness and certainly gave me the heebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

hello friend and welcom

what's your star citizen story

Not much to tell tbh.

Massive space nerd who's been loosely following the smoldering pile of shady decisions and dodgy business practices known as Star Citizen since it's kickstarter. I never felt the need to invest any cash though. My thinking being that if a decent game came out of it, I could just grab that for a few quid more than I'd have to pay now and forgo all of the risk. I really don't see that happening anymore: Even if by some sort or miracle a playable game is at the end of this shitshow, I'm not sure I'd bring myself to buy it, the lies and 'marketing-first' mentality that CIG have displayed have frankly appalled me, and made it clear that they are prepared to say anything to keep the cash rolling in, rather than applying a modicum of pragmatism and admitting that they have aimed for something impossible whilst scaling back the project.

Plus between Elite, NMS, Everspace and X-Rebirth (I've never played an X game before and am enjoying it immensely, shut up!) my sci-fi gland has been nicely satiated.

I actually ended up here after briefly sticking my head in the SC subreddit for the first time in months (I was directed there form the SC thread on the Frontier forums.). All the talk of how folk here were all literally Hitler who burned rainbows and kittens for fun, got me curious...

*glances about*

Seems alright to me. And If it's alright with you I'd like to join as you warm your cockles next to the roaring parpferno that is 'Star Citizen: Chris Robert's Ego through Time.'

Tax:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

What are your thoughts on the Wing Commander movie?

I got stupid drunk and tried to watch it once. I vomited and passed out, I'm fairly sure the alcohol had very little to do with that.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Hav posted:

Buy Albion Prelude next sale and never look back. I said, NEVER look back. Rebirth is a sad window on what could have been had Bernd not entered a weird console psychosis. He's promised to not do it again.

The 'storyline' in Albion Prelude is bullshit, but you can get into the sandbox with a plethora of fan-produced content and scripting to make your trade/loving things up empire a reality. Personally I enjoy the litcube's universe total conversion, but there are a bunch more things that can change your game experience up.

I totally mean it. Rebirth isn't really an 'X' game.

I've nearly picked it up several times. Is it worth just diving in with all three editions? the steam page says there's X3:Terran Conflict (Presumably the Base Game), X3: Albion Prelude (An old fashioned expansion, like they used to do back in them good old days.) and X3: Reunion (Is this another Expansion or some kind of remake?)

Also MoMA, is there any reason you show up from time to time, just to act smug (despite the fact you are consistently owned) and then vanish? Why don't you stay and fight your corner anymore? I remember lurking here befroe and very much enjoying feisty MoMA.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In the weightlessness of space, everything punches above its weight :colbert:

Must....resist....Lesnick joke...

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

The vehemency that the SC subreddit has been spitting out has really been cracked up a notch.

It always came across as defensive and was pretty much an ideal echo chamber, but it's starting to get seriously vicious.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

It genuinely looks like he says "~something~ give me more money!"

ModernSociety fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 12, 2017

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

9HFA6-BALZ4-HVA7H

Hehe...Ballz...

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

Why are they working on carrying loving boxes around when there are literally no game mechanics in place yet?

The game mechanics are clearly inside the boxes.

You just don't understand emergent mechanic proliferation.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Star Citizen: Powered by Meltdowns

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

In the future, please try and avoid no-text meme-posts if at all possible.

I often wonder how many of the SC defenders who religiously bash ED have actually tried it. It manages to achieve a large portion of what SC claims it will do, and caters to most of the professions that are touted as 'planned for SC release' (Drinks mixer extraordinare and landing pad janitor notwithstanding of course.)
  • It can't be because of the business model: Despite what they claim, the cosmetics on Frontier's store are in no way as cash-grabby as the hundreds of dreamships that are available on cribblets' site.
  • It can't be because of the pedigree behind the creators: Braben has a far older and less lovely history with space games.
  • It can't be because of the quality of released content so far: One has gameplay, the other doesn't.
  • It can't be the scientific accuracy or scale. SC is scaled down in most every way, in size and physical accuracy.
All that I'm left with is a sunk-cost fallacy and siege mentality - Sure that'll grab a few folk by the balls and make them defend the game religiously...but this many people? For this long?

If Sandi had been the world-class marketer that she claims to be then maybe I could see it also, but she's not. The advertising has been shoddy-at-best, pretty much from start to present.

There's just NOTHING going for it as far as I can see. Why are these droves of people still convinced that this hill is the one for them to die on? Just come play fun space games with the rest of us, and leave this mess to die.

ModernSociety fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 19, 2017

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Well Now that the cars are now in* the space game, I guess that means CiG is saved. Everyone go home.

*please note the use of 'in' here is purely theoretical. As is the game.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

The Final Solution in personal transportation.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Star Citizen: Putting the Tumbril before the horse

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

aleksendr posted:

What scenario do i need the buggy for ?

This kind of thinking is unnecessary and most certainly FUD. Just hand over your dollarydoos to the great and powerful Cribblets and he'll take care of the minutiae like 'Why does this even exist?'

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

So...Why did Derek get banned this time?

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Today's breaking news: I'm a moron.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Caught up with the Thread. Woo! Now I have nothing else to do but actual work. Boo

How was everyones weekend? I went camping and swam with seals :3: . It was kickass, and made me realise how awesome it will be when I can do the same thing in Star Citizen, but with 500,000 other commandos.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

This is amazing and I want to give them all my money.

Do you know if I can get anything in jpg form? They seem to be the hot investment right now.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

The Sandworm is turning.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Kosumo posted:

That's got to be a Betty Bigtits 2.0 for sure!

Anyone who can, could you sum up what Betty Bigtits was for the new comers to the thread.

It was a classic moment that should not be forgotten.

I for one would like to know more of this large breasted woman.

Also Missed 1600 :( ...Was a stupid page anyway. :colbert:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Star Citizen: Suffering from Server Anxiety

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Warhawk109 posted:

Do you have to broom the floor first before mopping? Can't mop a floor properly before brooming. I hope Crobberts respects this level of fidelity.

Not until Custodian 2.0 is finished.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

:airquote:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Meridian posted:

I love that Lazrin still sticks with the "your leader" thing when anyone who reads more than a page of the thread would know that Derek gets made fun of as much as Star Citizen does.

#LazrinIsMyLeader :colbert:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

thatguy posted:

This is now a thread for Star Citizen related Linkin Park lyrics.

*Ahem* an ode to the t-pose as written by Linkin Park

Crawling in my skin
These wounds they will not heal
Fear is how I fall
Confusing what is real

There's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface
Consuming confusing
This lack of self-control I fear is never ending
Controlling I can't seem

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I guess that's settled, then.

I see all your posts as if they were spoken by WTFO now...It's amazing.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

What I'm really looking forward to is watching :reddit: trying to explain how Frontier's expo was a hackjob, only created to suck money out of their customers...Immediately followed by them professing the miracles of CitCon and how CiG are so kind and thoughtful for putting it on.

October's gon' be good :thumbsup:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

AP posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/160825392?t=20m21s

13 days ago

Somebody archive that as he might delete it.

Putting all of your eggs in one basket, a basket that is entirely new and different from the multitude of shiny baskets that have been talked about and worked on in the past.

Now officially good for Star Citizen.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Tane if true fact.

ModernSociety fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 3, 2017

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

BREAKING NEWS

Rumor has it that next weeks ATV will feature a revolutionary new tech, developed entirely in-house at CIG. This paradigm shift in computer science will allow two computers to exchange information at lightning speeds without even being in the same room!. Labeled InterStarExplorer, the tech is very experimental so there are still some issues, but RSI feel confident that within the week, they can scale this tech to allow every citizen to inhabit the same virtual space at the same time. Think about it! Literally dozens of people, all gleefully T-posing together as if they were next to each other!

This news came from my very reliable sources that are not at all personifications of the voices in my head.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

The fact this has to be explained is astounding.

So what you're saying is that you have no concept of CIG failing to deliver. You are admitting to the fact that you've placed blind faith in a company: A structure that's sole purpose is to create a product and take money off people in exchange. THAT'S NOT HEALTHY DUDE. You've given money to someone, do you have no expectations that something will come of that money? Do you spend your time giving your hard earned cash out to anyone and everyone who asks for it?

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Lazrin posted:

<<A structure that's sole purpose is to create a product and take money off people in exchange.>>

uh, that's called a business.

anyway, sure i'll be disappointed if nothing ever comes of it, but only because it will be years before anyone is willing or able to try something ambitious again. and years again to see the light of day. if ever.

right now, cig is closer than anyone else to building a 'star citizen' but if it never comes out, so be it. at least someone is tried.

i lose a couple grand, but i don't see it that way. i'm more than happy to contribute to the cause. if the project ends, hopefully the talent will scatter around the globe, with the tech they helped to create and experience they gained, and the make the projects they go to work on that much better.

Well i suppose if they tried really, really hard then that's okay then.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

So on recommendation of this thread and after further investigation, i have bought X3...

• X3
  • Three day weekend.
  • Large bottle of whiskey

Wish me luck.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

TheAgent posted:

stellaris woulda been the better choice

Already own, and play the poo poo out of Stellaris.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Mr Fronts posted:

Yeah, now I want the older AV pic back.

Am I missing something here? I still see the same newbie AV as always?

EDIT - Never mind, page caching is a thing...

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Lladre posted:

Cached images? Mine is the same way but I don't really care enough to refresh it.

Yeah I cleared my cache and it appeared...I want my old one back :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

X3 is good. I have lost the last 72 hours to it.

The Star Wars mod is even better.

That is all. Resume the MoMA poking.