Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
Didn't see this video posted here.

Player disables a pirate ship and then tries to board it. The door to the cockpit won't open. That's ok; our hero is able to glitch through the door. The pirates seem resigned to their fate, remaining in their seats. One guy really likes his seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssSP4IS6ZcA&t=438s

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

D_Smart posted:

Video of Evocati client/server test from Nov 12th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8En045qp2GU

Still runs like poo poo. Notice how there's absolutely NO combat engagement etc

Also had another testing round yesterday:

Can't even sleep without missing something.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Thank you so much. It's like I can see it.

The only doors you can't clip through are the invisible ones.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
How does rover and hoverbike spawned?

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
Whole lot of nothing in that update. Thank God for this guy.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

SelenicMartian posted:

In this picture there are seven commandos. None of them can be seen.

I'm the guy standing up from the ground space.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

It's going to be so cute when they complain about glitches destroying the ships and equipment they bought with cash.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Colostomy Bag posted:

Grand prize will be some naked dude stuck in a loot crate.

Just the torso and head.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

VictorianQueerLit posted:

You see if you consider having no direction, no plan, no goals and no destination to be "Trail Blazing" then they are in fact good things.

Sure you might be wandering into a million miles of wilderness with no supplies but if you tell everyone that you are blazing a trail then you are actually so admirable you are above all criticism.

I could almost understand that mentality if CiG was marching in a straight line. With no plan, and grande nerd money, they might end up somewhere nice by accident. Heck, even a random drunken walk would get them further away from their starting position.

Either case would be better than walking in circles, retracing steps. Using a rope to swing across a chasm, only to trek back around the long way so they can retrieve the rope, then head home to get a better rope. The rope is too heavy, so they brought a ladder. The ladder is too short to cross the chasm. Stopping frequently to meticulously etch pebbles into detailed, microscopic figures. This one is a whale, that one a turtle, and those thirty-seven are busts of the crew members on the ship you'll build after crossing the desert, to sail to El Dorado. The intrepid explorers start digging for the ores and the fuels that will make the sharper tools that will carve the even more lifelike figures, and for the gems that will bring them to life. The stones chip too easily, so the party moves on.

:eyepop:

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 20, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm actually a little surprised that the base-building ship didn't make up a huge part of the gap. I thought nerds were gonna lose their mind over that one.

Would have agreed before the CitizenCon performance. I felt for those poor dudes, staring at the table, voices breaking as they mumbled about land claims and knowledge trading.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

a cargo/trading "gameplay loop" is featured in whatever this segment is now: https://youtu.be/rbC1OmEB-nE?t=4m

Woot!

They are stingy with the bugs now. All I saw was that, when the commando picked up the first box, his foot was planted on top of it.

Also the pickaxe logo on the box was z-fighting.

Edit: Also, when the commando presses 'pick up' on the box, the box instantly rotates 180 degrees (you can see the logo flip). When the static box turns into a physical box, the rotation is either ignored or not synced right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbC1OmEB-nE&t=314s

Edit2: Also this was just single player. No proof that any of this riveting gameplay works online.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 20, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

If any of these brick-ships were moving 1235 m/s in atmosphere, you wouldn't even be able to see them under the glowing ball of plasma, and the sonic boom would kill everyone for miles.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

3.0 to PTU by Dec 20! :dance:

The latest possible date in 2017, and conveniently after the ship sale. Totally will not be delayed b
code:
A crash has occured in CPersistentDataManager::MakesDoNotCrash

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
Grrr so boring. It had better transform into a car or have teleportation powers or something.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
I've managed to fit 8 deskeletonized children into one SCU. They are arranged facing out from the center (they each understand they are alone). The largest ones are in the corners. Some of them will die, but it's normal so long as it doesn't happen too soon into the journey because they are Meat. Place into the refrigerated portion of the Cargo Grid that will kill the rest of them because they are Meat. Stack the partially skeletonized Slaves (bones relevant to Functions) in the corners of the hold and in the corridors so they don't occlude the Cargo Grid and prevent Commodities loading.

You are next. Duck your head so the box can close. You will be treated as Dead so the player can Respawn. Stat points are withdrawn. You don't whimper to avoid suffering the indignity of betraying distress to yourself. The box is ventilated your soul will linger for as long as possible before the Air Conditioning.

gently caress poo poo piss. Bitch bitch bitch bitch angler shunt bitch. Bitch, the children will die when they pick up the Rock. The children will die when they flee from the Rock. The albino children will be taken to be raised properly in a healthy, nurturing environment and groomed for the Professions. If the mother resists she will be put down. If the mother flees her legs will be removed.

For those Outside you have at hand at least one instrument or circumstance (a high place, a bottle of pills, a large quantity of liquor, etc) that will end you with little effort. You've known this would happen for some time. All of your responsibilities are relieved. The Org is grateful for your service.

Doody.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

TheAgent posted:

disco lando is now doing damage control and loads of squadron 42 information (by that I mean nothing) on the badnewsbaron stream

https://www.twitch.tv/badnewsbaron

Baron has done something like 8 hours of streaming 3.0 in the last two days and I don't think he managed to complete a single quest due to crashes and bugs. Sometimes he's been close to tears in frustration, but he's still managing to softball Lando's talking points with a smile.

Actually feel like throwing up.

edit: Should have said "handling Disco's soft balls"

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 24, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov posted:

WTFO has the depressions :smith:

I was watching WFTOsaurus the other day and, honest to God, I didn't know that the Twitch streamers can see the comments on the right side (I thought it was just for spectators to chat in, and that the streamers got their questions and comments through a different system).

So I asked in the chat 'how much do these internet beggars get paid?' Then WTFO makes a disgusted face and tells me to gently caress off, and bans me. I almost fell out of my chair, I was so surprised the man in the TV had suddenly said my name. Like imagine if you were watching Oprah and Oprah looked at you from out of the screen and spoke at you directly.

He looked sad for the rest of the stream. I hope it wasn't because what I said. :smith:

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Abuminable posted:

That would fit perfectly on this glide path to the worst game ever, should it ever be released. SC should be the most tedious, monotonous, unapproachable game ever created. Keybinds need to be created for every muscle in your character's model, with a modifier to contract or expand. No holding W to walk.

Digital QWOP Simulator. Hold Inner Thought to battle existential dread.

Star Citizen 3.0: You sat on the bench, now you're hosed

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

"The Aegis Reclaimer has been tearing it's way through the ship pipeline."

It's tearing some kind of pipeline....

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

MedicineHut posted:

This interests me a lot. Is that dismemberment of the ship parts due to the 64 bit shenanigans loving up? Do you have a link where this is discussed?

I don't know if it's been explained here, so here goes.

Lets say that your ship position variable has enough precision for 1000 steps across the universe. So, each X/Y/Z dimension has 1000 places a object can be placed. Objects cannot be placed between steps. Bigger universes require more steps.

The way decimal numbers work in programming is, the closer you are to 0, the smaller the steps are. This makes sense because, reasonably, numbers near 0 will be far more likely to be used than numbers at the extreme edge of the scale. Near 0,0,0, the steps might only be a millimeter big. at 700, 700, 700 the steps might be over a meter. If you fly your spaceship near 0,0,0, the ship can be placed more or less exactly where it's supposed to be.

If you fly your spaceship to the outer reaches of the coordinate system, the steps become bigger. So, when the pieces of your ship are nailed down onto the steps, they don't fit quite right. 64 bits gives you a lot of steps, but they still get bigger at long distance from 0,0,0. If the size of a step is, say, a meter, then the parts of your ship might be up to a meter incorrect in their apparent position. The ship looks like it's coming apart at the seams. The easiest way to do this in most games is to fall through the world. Once you fall low enough on the Y axis, you'll start to see the vehicle come apart.

This gets worse when you consider that ship parts are connected to each other in a hierarchy, and each part position is expressed relative to it's parent. So, your fuselage is connected to the object root, the wings are connected to the fuselage, the guns are connected to the wings, etc. This means every part has a position inaccuracy up to a full meter for each parent hierarchy level above it.

So this is why, for example, the guns on that ship, and the winglet, at really screwed up, but the core of the ship is mostly ok. Note that these parts will be jittering like crazy every frame, as the game tries to nail each piece down onto the steps that happened to be nearest at that moment in time.

There is no way to fix this, as any size variable will lose precision near the edges. It's proper to simply not use big numbers for positions. For example, you could divide your universe into a grid of cells, and then store the position of objects relative to the center of the cell they are in. This would keep the position numbers small. You might also store your ship's universal position in one coordinate system, but the actual ship model parts would have a position relative to that universal position, so position numbers of the things you can actually see around you would remain small (I think KSP does something like this). In a game like the original Starfox and Starfox II, the coordinate system only had something like 256 (or 1024?) steps in each direction. So, the player's ship was basically the center of the coordinate system, and everything else in the world had to be expressed relative to it.

edit: It's also possible that some parts of the game still use 32 bit position steps (like in physics?), and they get converted to 64 bits at various points. This will break it even more. Rather than come up with an elegant solution from the beginning, CiG has been hacking in additional precision in stages as they make their tech demo bigger. It will continue to cause problems until they gut it completely, which they won't and can't do.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 25, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Kosumo posted:

Maybe I'm just to goon and happy to play both sides for a lol.

It's all about the lols. We have to be kind to each other.

Thanks for your fun videos, FTR :glomp:

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 26, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

11/2016: $7.76 million

11/2017: $2.74 million (with 5 days to go)

Edit: It updated

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 26, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Beet Wagon posted:

But also I'm super drunk now, so who the gently caress knows.

:same:

$2,804,347 raised this November so far! :yotj:

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

ewe2 posted:

My bad, I conflated his bad post with yours. I would say that the problem of learning to program is being able to think about the logic in a way that doesn't require the syntax of any particular language.
I think people don't get taught well enough about what algorithms are and how to think about them.

Python looks simplistic but so should the basics of any language; if we accept that programming languages are a special form of written logic, we should encourage the clearest expression of that logic and for good reason: most code isn't written, it's maintained. Be glad that you might have to understand a Python program rather than an incomprehensible Perl program, or worse, C.

You teach people Python so they get the idea of coding, get into good habits of coding and can think about problems in a generalistic way. THEN you clobber them over the head with C++ and soon even Ruby looks good.

THEN you teach them about all the incompatible regular expression engines (a genuinely sucky aspect of Python) :devil:

Mentar: What kind of Construction language do you want to learn? Do you want to make a house, office tower, model town with train, or space station?

Chub: I don't know. I just heard that Construction was an Activity, leading to Job, and The quenching of the dread.

Mentar: Duck your head as the 1 SCU crate closes over you. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Chub: My course of action is so clear now that I can't move.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

SomethingJones posted:

DevilDogGamer just posted a video, the framerate is shocking and ships wibble and wobble and slide around the landing pads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IILcpHKIQe4&t=698s

I've never seen anything so clunky and awkward as Star Citizen, even the on-foot stuff is a big wibbly wobbly jerky clunky mess

It's painful to watch

IT HAS BEGUN!

Devil dog gets run over by a griefer in an Ursa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IILcpHKIQe4&t=886s

Griefing is the only fun thing to do in the game, and CiG won't be able to stop the myriad forms of it. If you fight back against a griefer you will get a crimestat.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 26, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

SCtrumpHaters posted:

So we do need to talk however. Those of you who said CIG would be sunk if they released 3.0.

You are emphatically wrong.

Its been several days now that everyone has been able to sink their teeth into it. The response honestly couldn't be more positive. Positive threads, solid sale numbers, 2500 dollar fresh cash limited ships selling out instantly.

You were wrong and you need to be held accountable. At the very least temper your blind hate with a little more reason in the future.

This but unironically. Even though there's no game, we can't discount how finely crafted the marketing is. We shouldn't predict doom or ELE or whatever. It's just as disingenuous as CiG advertising base building, science ships and drink mixing. Let's be the scrupulous ones, and thankful for the opportunity to be :smug:

CiG kicked off with the naive notion of making a reasonably scoped video game, but expertly pivoted when better money-making opportunities presented themselves. The architects and mechanics of this achievement won't even be visible to us. We see the surface level of the PTU, Chris, the backers, the shills... but somewhere below there are probably one or two marketing people who really know what they're doing. The fact that they can make millions selling a jpg of a ship that will never be implemented shows how good they are.

While other companies are using scattershot methods of piling up microtransactions, these masterminds at CiG built an efficient machine for getting huge amounts of money from a laser-focused demographic. It's not as impressive if something broad like Minecraft or the latest first person shooter makes a bunch of money. It is impressive if you can convince a few thousand people to spend tens of thousands on goods that don't exist. They've made a slaughterhouse specifically for gullible 30-50 something space nerds, who pay for admission and do the cutting besides. Then respawn.

Granted, this pivot was probably gradual and no one person had a master plan, but they've succeeded where most others would have folded long ago. You could complain that it's dishonest, but lets face it, all companies bigger than a dozen people are purely about money.

I think it's ok to appreciate the cutthroat business prowess while mocking the mismanagement of the game. This could keep limping along for years. Even when the PTU/MMO/ships paradigm is exposed as vaporware, I trust they will morph into some other model that will continue to make money. If the backers can forgive a 4 years late BMM, they'll take much more. The funding will go down, but it's still going to be tons of income compared to other (more technically successful) projects. The space/sci-fi genre is still perfectly healthy. Successful sci-fi properties (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc) will continue grooming new suckers for CiG in perpetuity.

The only mistake was even wasting a penny on any game development at all. Great opportunities for graft were missed. But, I'm just talking about the success of the invisible marketing guys who're working on their job security (and maybe taking a little on the side); Chris and crew are still total idiots.

They are up to $3,700,000 for November, compared to $7,760,000 last year. :10bux:

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Amarcarts posted:

It's a little thing but I wanted to point out that the ECG rhythm in the lower left corner of the HUD has very low fidelity. Normal Sinus Rhythm on a monitor has a distinct set of waves:

I'm concerned the commando's heart rate doesn't change when he's shot or dumped into vacuum.

Gerome, Gerome, metronome.

SomethingJones posted:

I don't think they're even doing that, I think it's all pre-fab pre-made and the engine just hosed up what it's pulling in or something's corrupted somewhere

But I'll have to concede the point because I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

I think they mentioned once that the global heightmaps for the planets/moons are made of 2 artist-created maps layered over each other. That's why some features appear mirrored and others (like the Skyrim crater) do not.

The small-scale hills and valleys are procedurally generated.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 27, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

XK posted:

CIG is clearly Agile. Agile without tight direction is basically what every new programmer is, just smooshing poo poo together until it works.

That's pretty much the crobbler design paradigm. It works when you're a CS student writing a quicksort the night before it's due, not so much when running a multi-million dollar project with international studios.

But doesn't Agile have sprint retrospectives to gauge velocity?

Like, every sprint you choose how many work items to do, and at the end of the sprint you see how many actually got done. You learn how accurate your time estimates are.

Then if your team is making less progress than expected, you go back and cut scope from your overall plan so you finish the product on ti... pssshhhtt HAHAHAHA!

D_Smart posted:

So, right now in 3.0, hype aside - with zero optimizations to their networking - each client in a serssion sends in excess of 4K bytes (I poo poo you not, fire up Wireshark and see) per second to the server. The server response is over 160K bytes - to every loving client. This is only part of the reason why the server shits itself so frequently.

:stare:

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 27, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

I get that the waypoint is on the other side of the planet, and that should be made more clear, but...

There's an altimeter right there.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Crazypoops posted:

Game is good, I'm buying in.

The railgun impact decal

is a footprint

and it's at least 2048 if not 4096.

Namaste.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

how many 4x4 km squares can they even fit on one of their tiny, tiny moons

will there be leftover triangles for cheap where the squares intersect?

TheAgent posted:

with how small the current moons are, less than like 4k people could occupy the whole fuckin thing

lol

300km diameter moon has the same surface area as 4,421 8x8km plots.

But it would be half that if they aren't placed edge to edge.

The whole moon would cost a total of $442,100. A bargain!

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 28, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Bayonnefrog posted:

They have no idea why they're doing and scrambling as the money dries up. Phenomenal.

It's brilliant.

We thought they would sell plots of land. Instead they sell a land claim-stick. There are infinite claim sticks, and they don't have to define or advertise actual land plots. But it's more genius than than; they are selling griefer protection.

They are selling crimestat protection within a square of terrain. So when people are tired of being griefed, they will buy a claim-stick. This doesn't offer any material protection, but at least the people that kill them or break their stuff within the claim will get a crimestat.

When settlement building is in (lol), people will be able to build a spawn point building. This will allow them to bypass griefers that congregate around the stations and ports.

They will find safety, segregated from all the meanies in the multiplayer 'verse. The more dangerous the universe is, the more people will seek this protection. They've managed to leverage the griefers and brokenness of the game for profit. :stare:

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

MilesK posted:

Does the land stick thing come with insurance for the stuff you build on it, or is that a separate purchase?

:stare:

Never even thought of that. Anyone could just buy the cheapest ship and crash it into your habitat/pioneer/weedfarm.

CiG is going to makes tens of millions selling goon insurance.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

NoMas posted:

so you cant build anything.

ftfy

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Solarin posted:

holy gently caress why are people on this project killing themselves with food

Place I worked (not software, but similar situation) we had a change of management, then massive turnover afterwards.

Work didn't get done, customers were angry. At a certain point, you couldn't walk to a work site with your tools without being interrupted by a job that was more urgent. The new manager thought it was a good idea to reshuffle the staff's work focus, without understanding how the site worked, how the equipment worked, and what failures could cause millions in damage or simply kill people. Nothing could get done, as as more people left, the responsibilities on the remaining people were crushing (or just absurd, depending on how you looked at it). I ate nothing but McDonalds for over 6 months. Everyone was tired and sick all the time.

One guy went on stress leave for 2 months (guy was an rear end in a top hat, he used the time to find another job while we tried to salvage the situation). One guy lost it during an argument and assaulted a customer. A junior guy quit. He had been teamed up with another guy that just started staring out the window (we worked in an office tower sometimes) until one day he broke down crying and shaking, left, and didn't come back. I left far too late.

This workplace is a popular spot in the city, but to this day, I can't go back there. I can't face any of the old co-workers that might still be there.

At least that place did physical work that we could quantify and grapple with our actual physical hands. At CiG the work is completely psychological and social. Some of the staff will be psychos who don't give a gently caress, and they'll make life hell for any staff that care, or don't feel able to quit. The people that care about their work are dying. I hope they don't stay too long.

The dysfunction of a mass of people congealed, attaining agency. Colossus of crab buckets clenching crab buckets towering above the clouds, trampling the world.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 30, 2017

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Taintrunner posted:

So what’s weird is that IL-2 Battle of (Moscow/Stalingrad/Kuban) sells a handful of premium 1:1 recreations of historical aircraft you can start up, take off, and fly around in (VR compatible!) and do historically accurate bombing runs and dogfighting with other historical aircraft recreations as “collector planes” for $25.00 a pop as they progress with continued development on their platform, having announced new WW2, WW1, and tank focused expansions for the next year.

Something I would argue is a lot harder than making up a fake spaceship with fake systems and mechanics. And there’s an actual functioning game you can play with huge 64? player servers running full simulation rules. All of this in a few years of development, no Kickstarter needed.

Just, if you needed like a baseline comparison to this 6 year, let’s sell land claims loving nightmare of Star Citizen.

The Maddox Games guys totally cheated!

They knew they couldn't make their dream game on the first try, so they made smaller games for the local market first. Then they developed a series of fun, reasonably scoped flight sims before making the full-detail one.

Clearly they don't understand game development.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
Sale's over. Funding is down, but not enough to extinct it.

Thread is bad again.

When's the next sale/livestream/convention etc?

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Abuminable posted:

Not over yet!

November 30th – MISC (Musashi Industrial & Starflight Concern)
December 1st – Drake Interplanetary
December 2nd-4th – All Manufacturers On Sale

Whaaaaa..?

Ok so maybe another game changer ship or something I can work with that, ty.

Something to wash the taste out after the land sale skullfucking.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax