Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Being that it's been 2 years since I last read this thread and it being nearly 6k pages, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to brush me up on 2017 and 2018 highlights. Last I was at was about when Derek got banned. Even just pointing to the good posts or pages for the highlights would be amazing. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

TheAgent posted:

its amazing they always have just enough to hit around $30m to $35m a year for about six years. can't show too much, can't show too little

everything is great. pledge more m'lord

What's the spread over each year? 2016 we were looking at them hardly making as much money as 2014, but here they are being equal annual profits. Is there any specific month or period that has huge income spikes?

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Bumble He posted:

so what accent did you have in 2010?

Double edit: I had to double check myself

An accent typically used to spend enormous amounts of money on non content in a game kinda made by a dude that made subpar video games in the 90s. Also space bulldozer.

LostMy2010Accnt fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 13, 2018

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Perfect. Thank you and next time I'll comb the sub forum better.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

TheAgent posted:

it's always two places - the anniversary sale and citcon

That's a real convenient time for a large flow of cash to be injected. Hmmm...

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

I wonder if there is ever critical thinking applied to deduce that those types of DLC/online sells that Rockstar started doing was not inspired in a vacuum. CIG's model for selling is highly successful and other companies are going to replicate that in their own products. CIG isn't the counteraction to bad company practices, CIG enables it. These fans like Cymelion demonstrate to a company that if you can create an IP that fans identify with on a personal level, they'll dole out thousands of dollars for the product.

The counter-culture is the new culture.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

no_recall posted:

Guess this slomo train wreck is never going to end! I'm personally glad of it.

Often I wonder if star citizen did eventually die. Where else can I poo poo post!?

This train wreck can't die. When you have $10k thrown in a project it can't die; throw another $10k in. Keep the dream alive.

Actually I'd love to see the game finished and shipped. The reason being that no matter how much they put in the game, it'll never satisfy the absurd amounts of money put into it. Being that people have thrown thousands of dollars into this game, they're going to keep playing it and telling themselves it's the only game they need. Anything less than that would be a travesty for all the money spent. So now you'll have thousands of neck beards miserably playing this one game telling themselves it's amazing because anything less is conceding they made horrible life decisions.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

This is already happening. I know a guy who spent way beyond his means to buy a Tesla, and it's given him nothing but trouble. His situation is unusual, hit by weird glitches and poo poo I've never seen before, but what's most important is his nonstop loving yammering about how smart he was and how incredible it was that he buy it. He never says anything positive about the car itself, mind you - just about how great he was to buy it. "You know, it's SO worth it to spend that extra money to get something really worth it, you know?" "You know, when you think about it, I'm actually saving money by spending $100K on this car." "You know, those times I ran out of power weren't really that bad, I had time to catch up on some work, and how often does that really happen anyway?" "You know that time I got rear-ended and a 2-day repair took 2 months due to backlog, it really gave me time to appreciate the car that much more."

Such are the citizenry.

Truth. Hey Star Citizen is different. Remember it's not jpeg, it's an investment.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Hav posted:

Post checks out and i vouch for this poster.

Good to see my old SC meme credentials aren't expired.

Legit question, no sarcasm but what is the projected goals for SC in 2019? What services or features do they want to roll out?

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Daztek posted:

First half of the year they have 3.5 and 3.6 to release, after that it's ???, probably a 3.7

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Cool, thank you. Next question is, "how much of this was content promised in 2018? 2017?" I'm confident they push back content release dates just as poorly as they did three years ago.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Daztek posted:

The stuff in 3.5 and 3.6 was supposed to come out in 2018

Haha nice to see nothings change. CIG is consistent to a fault.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Nyast posted:

Hello good friends.

I've been mostly away from SA and SC for 2 weeks. Can a kind soul do a quick recap of the main events of the last 2 weeks ? No time to catch up reading a hundred pages.

Is Star Citizen good now ?

Is PC gaming saved ?

I've seen there was some progress in the Crytek vs CIG lawsuit ? Did Crytek really lose, or are SC whiteknights fantasizing as usual ?

.. and the most important question of all: did grandpa Derek called it ?

It always was good

PC gaming was saved

Crytek fell apart when Ortwin dropped truth bombs in the courtroom

Derek already called it in his July blog

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Rugganovich posted:

OI, it's not an investment, it's a PLEDGE.

Pledge your service for citizenship!

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

If it's not a finished game it's not a successful mom yet. Can't have it two ways by deflecting criticism with the alpha-shield and then tout it's a successful game by all standards. Either one; not both.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Rugganovich posted:

Oedipus has a lot to answer for.

Christ. Autocorrect is the friggin worst.

*mmo was the word I was looking to type.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Protip for aspiring adults: don't take advice from a man whose twitter feed is nothing but sexualized anime women, multiple posts about how awesome Star Citizen is, and a single post warning people to understand and utilize fact checking in all situations excluding those involving anime titties and Star Citizen.

All of this twitter feed is unironic and it's delicious.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

I wish to know more about his opinions on space jpegs and healthy relationships with women. I wonder which I'll find first.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

"Upcoming" is a bit of a stretch.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah those are the buzzwords that piss me off the most. Everything is about the presumption of success release a beta build.

Sorry to nitpick but I needed to fix that for you.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

This person is missing the forest for the trees. Star Citizen's model was noticed, but it was their approach to selling not game production. When you can get people to spend thousands on a single piece of digital content you highlight that a small subset of gamers are idiots and will buy almost anything in specific games. Sell a base game for 60 bucks for the normal gamers and then throw in specials like that ~$1000 Assassins Creed bundle and some people will clamor for it. Star Citizen is not helping gaming, it's making it worse.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Sidebar to this slap-fight with r/StarCitizens, but does CIG have their employees work through the holidays this time of year? I know they're always in a state of perpetual crunch to get an alpha patch out, but are they pushing that through the holidays? Do they typically do that? I know Chris would go on his Euro vay-cays and leave everyone doing 16 hours a day like it's a deployment, but I just never knew if that involves holidays like Christmas and New Year's Eve.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

hot balls man no homo posted:

If the stories about being required by the new owners and the peeps holding the strings to the loans to keep to a strict schedule are true, they're going to be working 20 hour days, 7 days a week for the next few years. The quitters will be replaced by people who don't know what they're doing and will take months to get caught up to speed.

hmm...

quote:

Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

Hav posted:

He's doing biome research you insensitive clod.

Oh, my bad. I couldn't figure that out over his endless hand flailing.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Holy poo poo, I feel like Star Citizen is just ripe for parody with Karl Marx quotes:

Some dead dude posted:

Capital is money, capital is commodities. By virtue of it being value, it has acquired the occult ability to add value to itself. It brings forth living offspring, or, at the least, lays golden eggs.

Sure I could point at a plethora of companies that would be applicable to as well, but it's just funnier with Star Citizen.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

TheAgent posted:

or when chris said you could run star citizen with an onboard amd cpu/gpu and didn't need a dedicated graphics card

like there's SO MANY fuckups from this guy and backers keep eating it up and up and they are like PROVE IT PROVE ALL THIS and then when the proof comes out they simply go "OH WELL EVERYONE KNEW THAT ALREADY"

Short excerpt from an essay that really drives it. Emphasis is mine.

"Author posted:

Much contemporary advertising, including the examples mentioned above, engages in obfuscation of the labour and product-ness of the commodity being presented.  Value is instead assigned or implied by linking the commodity to a particular lifestyle, identity or social cause.  Commodity feminism is one example of the addition of an ideological layer that distracts from the origins and nature of the commodity advertised.  Significantly, it also invites the consumer to buy into an ideology – here, feminism – in order to divert attention from the fact that by purchasing the Pantene product advertised, the only ideologies that the consumer is truly supporting are consumerism and capitalism.

You can't beat a cultural identity. Even when it's lovely jpegs.

Edit: I just realized that of all the people to discuss with this, you're the dude that clearly knows this. My bad.

LostMy2010Accnt fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 19, 2018

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Hav posted:

TheAgent is not a Pantene girl. I get more of a jojoba vibe, natural essences maybe.

Edit: ^^^. I’ve heard that you don’t want to be hoist by it. I’m assuming it’s a bad part of town.

Give up great volume for essences? Never! That sounds like dirty FUD talk to me.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

big nipples big life posted:

Wow a company that respects your time even less than CIG.

With that much time sailing you might as well just join the Navy. Bonus will be you get paid, immense immersion, and a chance to pick up malaria.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

drat it, they're so close to being self aware and then snap back into fantasy world. Reading these posts they come off sounding like kids that just want to imagine the game. They're not looking to actually play it, they just want to pretend it'll be the best'est space sim in the whole world. "Imagine what it'll be in four years," one of them quipped and he's right because in four years you're still only going to be able to imagine this game.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

big nipples big life posted:

Wanna see some lazy game developer poo poo? Check out the map for Atlas

They just archered all over the place.

I found the same four islands in a diamond pattern five times on that "map". That's the type of quality I expect to see in my RPG maker and Unity asset flip games. Bravo.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

...if you only have enough assets to fill out a quarter of your map uniquely, why not just make it a quarter the size?

The same reason we see with SC; quantity over quality. Honestly this isn't just a SC thing, games are habitually measured by the amount of time one can put in it. Some judge that the quality of that game comes from the quantity of time that can be playable. Do you want a 10-20 hour game with unique elements and game mechanics or do you want 80-100 hours where you reiterate those mechanics for the gamer? I look at Atlas and SC's promise of hundreds to thousands of islands/planets to explore and ask myself, "why?" How unique is the n'th planet/island to the first? Do I want to really keep playing for that long? Is the meta-loop for this game tight enough to keep me playing it? Finally, the game takes 30-40gbs just for the alpha with only a couple playable areas. If the game is supposed to countless planets each unique from one another; how much storage is needed and how feasible is it?

Just me pondering stuff, none of that should really come off antagonistic and if it did, my apologies.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

So the Forbes article pointed out that Star Citizen is reaching 500 total staff. Literally comitting one of the most egregious sins of that more programmers will give them quicker release times on the game. I can't imagine how many are just straight out of college and this is their first gig.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Oh he must be a blast to work with. This is how you don't get people to come back to work on your movies.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Haha are you making GBS threads me? He really said that? The self-awareness on this man is astounding.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

I should never have doubted. Chris Roberts is the antithesis of, "If it's to good to be true, it isn't." Clearly, Chris is always the choice that's most absurd.

Forgive me for doubting, I have gone astray from the teachings of Goon Space Rage.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

TheAgent posted:

another two years and she will cut and run

say what you want about Sandi but she's a goddamn shrewd survivor and I can dig that

honestly I like to think I have morals and some form of decency, but if people were handing me several mil a year for doing p much nothing, I don't think I'd have any concerns about taking their loving money and spending it in a ridiculous and overt fashion

The transparency of this hustle makes it brilliant. Unethical in degrees but nothing heinously illegal. If Chris and Sandy were decent to the people that work for them and dudes weren't putting their family in dire straits to buy jpegs, I would be rooting for them.

I truly hope they release these games because we all know they're going to be some Frankensteinian looking poo poo.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

TheAgent posted:

I mean her dream of being an A or B or C or D list actress is basically done. she's pretty but has squarely entered the age of being too gotdang old for Hollywood

she has, however, made goddamn bank, probably more than she ever really thought possible offa this dumb space game. I honestly believe that she really likes backers, mainly for what they have been able to provide her monetarily

her kids are set for life, as long as nothing crazy happens with their nest egg. I'd estimate Chris has pulled down, personally, about $15m to $20m since 2011, with sandi personally pocketing around $5m to $8m

it's an incredible amount of money for people who haven't accomplished anything and I am so loving jealous y'all have no earthly idea

Yeah but Chris will blow this poo poo as fast as a lotto winner. He wouldn't have been running a used car dealership if he was good with cash.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Hey so this job touts you can have many different jobs in it right? Can I be a space finance troop? I long for space personnel to come bitch that their space pay was screwed up because they didn't submit their proper space forms when they space pcs'ed. Then I can follow it up with space formations and space safety briefings before I go out on the weekend to get space drunk.

Or I can just be a bounty hunter the 100th time in a game.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Rugganovich posted:

Until someone mentions religion, politics or sport, then it becomes a deathmatch.

Nah this is social hour small talk subjects. Bring up Derek Smart, goons, archered art, or Crobbers to get that deathmatch rolling.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Since it appears that CIG is all hands on deck to miraculously get SG42 out in 2 years does that mean development of the PU is going to grind to a halt? Lmao if the backers are stuck with this one system for 2 more years at least.

If that's the case imagine all the paid streamers playing on the PU. Think of WFTOsaurus spending several hours a day, every day, for two years playing the same drat thing with no changes. Oh I would love if what you said was the case. How delicious that misery would be. As for the backers, I think a lot of them would just put it on the backburner for the time being until a new content patch came out.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

Hey Beet, what happens when a reddit poster is so loving dumb they can't figure out that they're shadowbanned from /refunds?

Hey, Beet how do you make this legible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

if I make it legible they might realize they're shadowbanned and stop screaming into the void

Oh you tease, you.

mrking posted:

look at this goonie who doesn't understand FUD development

I am to enlightened by the teachings of r/StarCitizen to be misguided by such ways.

LostMy2010Accnt fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 23, 2018