Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm glad that CIG took 5 years to throw together a nonsensical development plan/timeline. This is definitely completely normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DarkRefreshment posted:

Seems like a lot of the faithful are starting to think they have handled the marketing, communication, forums, concept sales, and live events poorly.

It's ok because they're focusing on their main strength which is game development.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hey guys two weeks to go before they finish the network code, who's excited?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh boy, detailed renders of weapon models. That sure is a thing that got me excited for Quake 2/Half-Life mods 18 years ago.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BeefThief posted:

They haven't done anything this year hahaha

Chris, it's July, the patch was weeks away 9 months ago, what is going on

9 months is only 40-odd weeks.

I bet the Stimpire's propaganda has more legible text than this godawful design.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Do you guys think hundreds of years into the future, once mankind begins to build a galactic empire, scientists and engineers will have figured out a way to secure cargo crates in a spaceship hold? This is important.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually I was reading the Star Citizen reddit and they said that basically every task for 3.0 is done except a few minor UI things so check and mate goonies.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm really looking forward to playing Squadron 42 in 2015; GOTY maybe??

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Combat Theory posted:

To have anything meaningfully "ww2 esque" in space you need to limit vcaps otherwise people will fly past each other so fast the doppler effect will color shift the light of their t-posing commandos on-board.

Er, so what? Supposedly max top speeds in SC are 1000 m/s = 3.3e-6c. You could comfortably go thousands of times faster and Doppler shifts would still be negligible. Hell, even at relative speeds of 0.1c it would barely be noticeable considering even the largest space chariots would fly across your screen faster than it can refresh. Also, why would spaceships have bright lights on during combat in the first place?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Info from CIG, who have never hit one of their self imposed deadlines yet. In fact they consistently miss them by times that are far greater than any reasonable margin of error, meaning they're either lying about them or they're woefully loving incompetent.

Either or? Why not both?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's only one bug in 3.0, it's just that it's BLOCKER: Nothing works properly.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hey on the plus side the network/backend bars barely moved so they're basically done, right?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just clicked at a random point in that episode (13:00 in) having hardly ever bothered to watch any SC videos and got this:

"Dear Wingman,

Will those that complete SQ42 before joining the wider universe, being former military, have an easier time with military authorities..?"

:lol: at completing SQ42

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Quavers posted:

More cafeteria bullshit :laffo:

I would buy the poo poo out of a $5 realistic cafeteria simulator.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I must have missed it because it's news to me that some pathetic loser is making weekly forecasts predicting when 3.0 will be finished, with the help of an excessively detailed Google sheet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6unav3/no_bamboozles_release_forecast_for_august_18th/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u0o7rUOPwTXsiEdWC7Mkr20byGC3Eze4YVl5DwWftXc

Apparently, all of the core tech and network backend stuff is completely done, but there's still a 0% chance of anything being ready for Gamescom. Good news, everybody!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whoa whoa it's not just the vending machine. There's also the cafeteria and the bar, once people stop clipping through furniture and spilling their drinks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Personally I think that Croberts is a visionary for solving the potential goonswarm griefing problem by making his game an unstable and unplayable piece of poo poo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

G0RF posted:

Squadron Q4 2019 is a far safer bet than Q1 2018

In the same way that swimming across the Atlantic is safer than running naked across Antarctica?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Why did no one talk chris out of doing this poo poo seriously? did they not rehearse anything?! why just...WHY?!

How could they rehearse it when they just finished patching the build the day before?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Latin Pheonix posted:

Wow, spectrum is not happy with Gamescom:
"This gamescom was pretty painful"

Holy poo poo, even Annabelle "Boo" Huxley is pissed at the janky animations, clipping and lack of female models. This is the shill who registers on random forms to shitpost about Star Citizen. Is s/he not getting paid anymore?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I make donations and stuff all the time, and always wonder how much of my money goes to help people in need; Whenever I feel down I go look at SC stuff (and 400+ people employed and entire local economies revitalised) and say to myself 'This exists because of my participation - and it's creation not destruction'

It's so unusual to see so many people trying to make something new - great works of creation that break the mold - the Sydney Harbour bridge, Hoover Dam - you know the stuff people and governments avoid now because it's too hard? Instead of purely profit focused endeavours.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Berious posted:

reddit is still expecting them to flip a switch and turn it into a 100 players per instance mmo when the networking parplines are refactored. two weeks?

They have their three best network engineers on it non-stop, how long could it possibly take?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FTL managed to code enemy ships warping away with your boarding crew still on board so I'm sure Croberts can figure it out. I would love to see the forums dedicated to whales whining about getting ganked if any of this were to actually work at all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

no_recall posted:

I can't remember who posted about CIG being in continuous crunch mode but I think it's quite true. Look at it this way. Each year they commit themselves to not one but two tradeshows. Gamescom and CitizenCon both of which ticket holders want to see a spectacle.

In order to produce such spectacles of wonder and awe CIG can't focus on developing a full blown working game. They only have the resources to R&D poo poo and slap that crap into their demo template and hope it works.

You'd figure their 400+ full-time employees and contractors would be able to accomplish something during the 8+ months of the year that they're not preparing for the next big show.

Another fun thing I like to do is reflect on how Star Citizen is set however many centuries in the future and remember how creatively bankrupt it is compared to the Culture universe.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You know what's hosed? In the year 2942 humanity has invented compact FTL drives and yet autonomous mining ships are not a thing, in fact people still carry boxes manually and aim turrets themselves (coming in 3.0 3.1 4.x).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

StarbloodKiss posted:

I always thought it was strange how CIG kept reworking flight model \ ship statistics \ weapon balance when they didn't even have the game in beta. Its made worse by the people complaining X is better than Y. Why bother with "balance" when there really isn't a game to utilize it meaningfully? I tried bringing this up a long time ago and got tons of flak in the star citizen chatroom\whatever it was called back then. They're just going to have to redo everything in the future before the game is even released, no point in doing it 2 or 3 times when its just an alpha\prototype.

Ship statistics matter when you're charging hundreds to thousands of dollars for each one.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Do the white knights and cultists only work part time or something? Why are these comments getting upvoted?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Before I go check the Reddit I'm going to predict that Star Citizen white knights are talking up how positive the sharp drop in blockers is. Then if anyone points out that it's due to reduced scope, they'll call them hypocrites for complaining about scope creep in the first place.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

eXXon posted:

Before I go check the Reddit I'm going to predict that Star Citizen white knights are talking up how positive the sharp drop in blockers is. Then if anyone points out that it's due to reduced scope, they'll call them hypocrites for complaining about scope creep in the first place.

Ok I checked now and my prediction was wrong. Even though many people pointed out that most of the blockers were taken off the list rather than actual being fixed, shitizens unanimously agreed that this was a positive step and something that CIG should have done from the beginning.

Man I wish I could have the benefit of the doubt no matter what I do.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Latin Pheonix posted:

This is after ground-breaking concepts such as "Maybe we should only patch the files that need to be patched instead of reuploading the whole game each time we update the version" or "Maybe we should start working on the netcode for our MMO" (after 4 years' development time). Truly these people are managerial geniuses.

It's funny because they could have just admitted defeat and made the famous delta patcher a wrapper that installs cygwin and calls rsync.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hello Youtubers, this is the Noobifier.

Last week, on Around the verse, we had a really detailed rundown of the Atmosphere and Stamina systems. This week, Tony Z, who is in charge of designing the persistent universe, gave us a detailed rundown of the Mission Giver System.

Subsumption is a term used to describe a type of artificial intelligence whose purpose is to define behavior based on sensory input, goals and rules. It's quite unique because it can scale by adding more and more layers of behaviors in a hierarchy. Its being coded such that decision can be autonomously made, based on the real time situation as detected by the code. Behavior is calculated through rules from lowest priority to highest priority resulting in a plan and behavior. Subsumption is being built upon other key systems which were not complete. Its key to the next iteration which is why the wait for 3.0 has been so long.

With that out of the way, Here's what you need to know.

This new system replaces the placeholders we have been using with a combination of hand crafted and procedural crafted missions. The focus is always on the quality and realism of the missions, with interest in diversity of varied challenges for you to experience. You should be able to play how you like and expect the game universe to react to your behavior and offer you an appropriate, tailored experience. Follow the rules, and be treated as a citizen. Cause a commotion, and the game takes a special interest in you. For this to work, as a minimum, “Your Reputation” and a general “Concept of Ownership” need to be tracked. Choice and Consequence is an real world reality that is being modeled into the game.

Recently, we have heard game developers comparing creating Star Citizen, to building a skyscraper. To the passer by..., the on site planning, and excavation may seem to take forever, with very little visible progress. As soon as the foundation is done, progress is deliberate but seems remarkably quick compared to the months or years of invisible progress. As I said, the product improves as more rules are added to taylor the output.

If the system knew the area was lawless, you may stumble upon a ship being attacked by 3 pirates, and no help expected. If the area was a well patrolled piece of space, the same scenario might have the addition of local security jumping in to help fight off the attack. This is what's meant when developers talk about a “Procedural Mission System”

The system , does an assessment and provides the player an appropriate experience that will scale to the situation based on their reputation and history. That idea extends to scaling the scenario based on your group, and you may have already seen this in previous version of the PU. Jumping into a sector with 5 friends all in Sabres, vs You jumping in Solo flying an Avenger would require different resistance. 1 Pirate Gladius vs 5 Super Hornets plus a Vanguard.

By putting the effort into offloading manual mission into a detailed subsumption hierarchy, designers can let automation offer the player diverse challenges. They can spend more time expanding the variation, instead of manually tooling millions of possible missions. Let's say, an NPC is only programed to know if they are a trusting or suspicious personality. This would enable the NPC to react differently as you approach. They may hug the wall, or simply walk straight. If that NPC also knew of its own wealth, its race, its job, its education, where it was born, who its friends are, who its enemies are, the possible reaction pool can expand and become more lifelike. Adding, personality traits such as morality, restlessness, intelligence, determination would further define how that character reacts. The tooling and back end work is the foundation of the skyscraper. The front loaded effort that was invested , will automate realistic behaviors, saving time while improving the experience.

Rather than putting an NPC on a Rail like most other games. Why not instruct the NPC, what apartment it lives in, and that it works from 8am till 4pm as sales clerk at "Cubby Blast". In its off hours, the NPC could be just part of the backdrop, shopping, going to the bar, going home and going to bed. At 7:30The NPC would try to arrive on time and start its shift. This opens up that super complex hierarchy where if you impeded this character from reaching work on time, the character could react based on its programmed personality. It might break down and cry, it might become aggressive and push you out of the way, it might call the police, it might draw a weapon and try to kill you. Its reaction is based on the layers it has been given. The layers define its artificial intelligence and this is subsumption.

On its way to work, the NPC is free roaming, finding its own path based on what's happening in the game. The term “Path Finding” was used and that refers to NPCs mobility combined with the meshing of captured animations. This allows the NPC freedom to navigate off rails, as its hierarchy dictates. Blending all the animation transitions takes time to make look seamless and believable.

The subject is complex and I hope this quick overview answers most questions you had.

If you like the no bullshit approach, please do me a solid and share it and links to the videos you like to friends and orgmates. My goal is to grow and I can't do that without the help of citizens like you. Fly safe and I will see you in the verse.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

But doctor, that can't be! Didn't you know? PC Gaming's been dead for twenty years!

Zombie games are alive and well hyuk hyuk

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Haven't they been working on that cafeteria scene for at least 3 years now? It's supposed to be the main inter-mission cutscene location or some poo poo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

darkarchon posted:

Andromeda (M31) and friends

That's a nice picture but you should check out the one I took on the weekend it's pretty sweet enjoy!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Did D:OS2 fix the horrible crafting system, inventory and pixel hunting from the first game?

Oh sorry this is the Star Citizen thread, well I'm really considering getting into it once 3.0 drops but maybe I'll check out the Citcon footage first seeya.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Golli posted:

As a game development consumer, I found this quote from the OP of Games › Ask A Game Dev! - We Are Your Friend's Uncle very informative, particularly given the problems CIG seems to have with this very issue.

Excuse me, astrophysicist is a perfectly clear job title.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Golli posted:

When you think of it -

Chris has managed to find an audience willing to pay him $30m dollars per year to produce a CGI film series delivered in one-hour segments.

Also most of the film is ads urging you to fund production so you can get to see the ending.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

The gently caress?

Derek is trying to explain why his games are buggy pieces of poo poo while assuming that someone must understand and care as much as he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not going to watch that stream but I'm guessing that that station isn't actually properly orbiting the planet and if it were it would be perfectly safe to jump off it because you wouldn't fall down unless something slowed you down.

Beet Wagon posted:

I'll be honest I don't know what a city planet looks like from orbit but to me that dude looks like he's at the right altitude for final descent into LAX

It looks like a lower altitude than the space station above Earth so I hope it's smaller or has a thinner atmosphere which would make it not so inhabitable in the first place, well have fun theory crafting this broken tech demo now.

Oh here's my tax:

https://youtu.be/XM8aBESf8EI

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 29, 2017