Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I backed this a few months ago and have thrown a couple hundred bucks at it.

After I tried to load up Star Citizen the other day to play with my JPEGs, it was apparent they had hosed something between the 2.5 servers and the purchases db.

I googled around. Hundreds of people having the same issue. No response from CIG.

I waited a day because I had done a similar thing at *LARGE SOFTWARE COMPANY* when migrating an old instance to different servers. Probably forgot to update server names/IPs somewhere.

Started to get worried a day later when there was still no response and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would move the 2.5 instance when testing 2.6. I mean 2.5 being the current live version, there would be zero reason to move it to test a branch.

Then I got paranoid because the only reason you'd do that is if you didn't have resources to concurrently run the two instances. It would be rear end backwards and loving retarded to break live, say oh well and tell everyone 2.6 is the new live and it will be available "soon".

But that is what looks like has happened.

That or they moved the servers hosting the purchases. Once again... Why?!

Long story short, I googled around and found this thread.

Feelin pretty stupid right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

quote:

Everyone says get a refund

It's not about the money. I just want to play the stupid spaceship game but I can't see it happening because the more I look into it, the more amazingly stupid this company seems to be.

That FPS thing. Star Marine? Where the gently caress was that in the kickstarter? Why on earth would you suddenly make an FPS when there a million other things that need to be done? Who even asked for Star Marine? Where the gently caress did they gauge demand!?

I'm not mad, i'm just disappointed. :saddowns:

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
This whole project is actually making me doubt whether I know how computers work. I mean I did a degree and worked in the field for 15 years but there are just so many people telling me that this kind of dev is normal and I am stupid for doubting it.

I really need a super technical indepth breakdown of what happened here because I can't see a way where this isn't a massive step backwards for CIG.

How is their branch supposed to merge with lumberjack? What exactly has happened with star engine? How can you merge a years worth of work with another distro in a couple of days?!

What the gently caress has happened?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

MedicineHut posted:

According to Ben Parry, CIG dev that loves to speculate in CIG's behalf over at the Frontier forums instead of posting at the RSI forums, there was nothing really to be merged. The base CryEngine code that Star Engine developed on is basically the same base Lumberyard code Star Citizen is supposedly now using. To all effects all a couple of CIG devs did in one day or two (Ben and Chris Roberts dixit) was basically copy / pasting all the CIG additions (64b positioning, procedural tech etc) over.

You obviously have no loving idea about game development.

This is what I mean. Thats kind of the only explanation thats been given as if its as simple as that. It's really really not.

I get that they can both use the same libraries. Thats ok. How does "star engine" seamlessly work with Lumberyard though? If star engine was so completely different from cryengine, are they then using lumberyard as the new base and referencing their own libraries in some other branch? Are they just starting from scratch and using some other 2.6 branch and ditching their previous stuff? How can this be anything other than bullshit?!

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
You cannot park a freelancer in a caterpillar, it will make the owner upset if you try.

You cannot park a sabre in a caterpillar, it will make the owner upset if you try.

You cannot park a hornet in a caterpillar, it will make the owner upset if you try.

You CAN fly an 85x into a caterpillar but it spazzes out when you try to land, exploding the caterpillar and you.

I had a fun couple of hours and im pretty sure everyone on that server hates me now.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Der Shovel posted:

Seriously. Even migrating from one version of the SAME ENGINE (not two different and separate forks of the same engine) can be a loving nightmare where half your poo poo randomly breaks. Talk to anyone who uses Unity regularly about Unity version changes and watch them sweat. And note, this is a product where it's been designed to make this process as painless as possible and ensure that versions 4.1 and 4.2 are as compatible as possible, not two separate bunches of coders going in different directions and adding poo poo as they see fit.

I agree with both your points as well. If StarEngine actually featured any significant amount of custom code porting it over to Lumberyard is going to be a significant undertaking. So they're lying one way or another!

Thank gently caress someone agrees with me. Everywhere else has been "YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND DEV" and i'm fairly certain I do as its my job. These people are deranged.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

ewe2 posted:

Sorry in advance for this rant, I just wanted to make it clear as clear why there are problems with CIGs/Parrys "explanation". Please point out mistakes or confusions/omissions.

Just managing the pieces of a website in git can teach you a lot about how VCS actually works and not how Ben Parry wants you to believe, like just skipping main development line history. Good VCS patterns are about minimising merge conflict and small, manageable deltas, regardless of the size of the project.

Let me break it down into a hypothetical, the kind of hypothetical that the Reddit crowd hates because they'd have to apply braincells to it, and let's pretend we're using git because its an excellent distributed VCS that lets you decide how to manage your workflow:

You've got engine code, it's made up of different bits that different groups of developers can work on, and like a good game company you want to make modifications to make the greatest game ever and you want builds to work so you can demonstrate how things are going (you know, not like SC). There will be a bunch of stuff that doesn't use the engine at all, ignore that in this discussion, it would be added at the build branch stage to make a build work and then get added to the main branch. Here we're only concerned with bits that need the engine code.

Ideally we'll have a development branch, a build branch and a main branch. You're the guy coordinating this because your developers are all working on their bits of the engine and when they put in changes, you make sure all the different bits agree and you take a snapshot of the current development branch and call that the build branch (and add those bits I mentioned above), and if it builds, those changes make it into the main branch. Clear so far? You can give these snapshots whatever name/version you like as long as it makes sense to everyone.

Ok, so down the track your builds are going fine but meanwhile the engine developer has released a new version of the engine and you want to take advantage. So you grab the new engine code, and to be safe, you clone a new copy of the original engine code and you do a merge to see what the changes are and make a diff from that. You now literally have what changed between engine versions. Well, like you would expect with a new engine version, they've changed the API you use to access its code and they've restructured its different bits quite a bit, there are new bits, older bits have gone. You do the same technique as before, comparing your current main branch (NOT the development branch, guess why) to the code and oh dear there'll be merge conflicts everywhere, the engine is quite different. What to do?

At this point we are up to BEFORE the LY fork, at 3.8 whatever version. We can break the task down: some bits can be easily discarded, some bits will be added, but there'll be a chunk that will have to be integrated piece by piece preferably along structural lines and meanwhile you have to educate the developers who can't continue along the lines of continuous development/builds until these changes are made. You have to educate the developers on the changes to the API, you have to reassign developers to the bits that are changed/new, and you may have to take a deep breath and throw a lot of good code away simply because you don't have the time or resources to rebase everything. "Rebase" sounds simple but only works if your modifications are only in the parts of the new code that didn't change, and in the case of an engine only some of that will be true.

Ideally, you can give some developers the freedom to rebase their own development work on the new engine code, but in some cases you'll have to do the work yourself and get them to clone from that. And THEN it's back to making the builds work, having "rebased" on the new code and then you've got a main branch which is a fork off the engine code.

And THEN you have the LY fork. Take the above scenario and repeat, unless you're prepared to simply throw away all the previous work. Unless the LY fork is amazingly compatible which I do not believe for a second.

I want to point out that as far as I understand, game development is rarely this organized or as careful. An object hierarchy is fine for business software development but usually only gets as far as the UI and maybe file operations but everything else is written pedal to the metal good old functional programming and that is a dog to manage even with the help of a VCS. The whole point of object orientation was to make large projects even feasible but that breaks down with the way games work which do multiple things at the same time like a mini-OS, it's that complex.

So when Ben Parry tries to tell me that it was easy I'm just dumbfounded. Because he should know better. And this discussion is only applicable to if they did it as he claims, ripptide might be closer to the truth.

This is a good post and explains exactly why the only thing they could have possibly done is used LY for the 3.7 fork making the whole transition absolutely pointless (Unless they are stupid enough to think LY will somehow allow them to produce their insane promises)

As I am a petty child with too much disposable income, I keep my account to smash my ships into everyone at Olisar.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I'm still surprised at the bait and switch with Star Marine.

Why did everyone fall for that? Did no one else notice there was nothing on the stretch goals about Star Marine?

Was it not just an obvious red herring they made up in a month (Because Cryengine was actually made for this) to distract everyone from the lack of actual development?

I wonder what the next red herring will be. STAY TUNED!

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Star hamster

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Hey cool someone did a tutorial on how to get E:D working in VR with Android phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3BSKDqpig

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Only got a headset today so am just now reading up on it.

I havent tried yet but will post back with a trip report.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

D_Smart posted:

Dude, keep this sort of poo poo off the thread? I know they are goading you to do it. Still don't post this poo poo.

wot!?

1) He first posted he was in "sunny CA"

2) Shortly after he changed it to "Portland", but not before someone already nabbed the excerpt

3) Someone recently noticed that when he first appeared (Mar 2016), in this post, he had his cat pics. Then, less later (June 2016), he removed (archive) them. And, you know, dumb fucks sharing images online, tend to forget all the XIF data in them, and which some sites tend not to strip.

I dindu nuffin'

So casual.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

radd posted:

In other news, Elite:Dangerous delivers the Constellation with P52 snub fighter before CIG, even though it was never within the original scope of E:D.

http://i.imgur.com/GRHxG0t.gifv

Ha. E:D apparently had an original budget of 8 million pounds.

Somehow with 8 million they managed to poo poo all over a company with 150 million. This is next level mismanagement. Alternative Development.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

void commandoButtonPress(commando Commando(commando.active, string buttonPressed))
{
server.sync();
if (buttonPressed = "medkitbutton") { Commando.runanim(usemedkit) }
server.sync(); //uuhh don't remove this guys
delay(300);
//sooo let's fix those broken references???
if ( ! Commando.animrunning)
{
commandoButtonPress(commando.next) // check for faulty execution, correct
}
else { buttonPressed = ""}
server.sync();
delay(300);
delay(400); //a bit more needed for the krauts I guess
server.sync();
server.sync(); //gotcha
}

Fuuuuuck this triggers me so much more than it should. How do I downvote you as a person?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Klyith posted:

TT, the guys that do the lego games, are still around and doing multiple lego games every year. It wasn't owned or run by Erin Roberts, he was just an upper level guy there.

Oh man if we got some more of this but with dinosaurs?!

Its this

http://playdosgamesonline.com/dinopark-tycoon.html

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Tippis posted:

Oh, right. That's another bit of troublesome tech that megamap could render void if they applied it correctly.

Yes, 64bit is necessary if you want to track tons of details at large distances but only if the objects you're tracking are spread over a static coordinate system. You need to know that, when one player is at [4k, -16km, 2km], another player at [-1km, +12km, 0km] isn't spazzing out due to low distance granularity when both are so far from [0,0,0] (rendering is less of an issue here — that's converted to and done at 32bit regardless because that's what your GFX card is using). Everyone exists within the same coordinate system, and everyone needs to maintain reasonable precision not to skip around too much.

But… if you really embraced the megamap concept, then that would only ever have to happen on the server side, and you'd have other means of working around that 64bit issue anyway. All world-level position tracking is done there, and nowhere else, so it's only on the server that you need any kind of high precision. Locally, it wouldn't be a problem to just use 32bit because the player is always at [0,0,0] and anything that's really far off will be… well… far off so they wont' skip around anyway. A ±1m imprecision in location won't matter because the other guy is 20km away and can hardly be seen anyway — he's a static pixel no matter how ridiculously imprecise that placement is. And from his perspective, he is at [0,0,0] and you are 20km away.

Well, sure, that may be what it ends up as — we're talking about the concept as it has been described by Tracy.

The whole 64 bit precision stuff drives me nuts in particular with star citizen because they have nothing that warrants it. What the gently caress are you mapping around olisar that needs that level of precision? And if you EVER intended to make a game so large, and track so much erroneous bullshit, why the gently caress didn't you use double precision in the first place? How do you ever intend to do this without a massive leap in data transmission tech?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Chev posted:

Forgetting whatever they said about megamap for a moment, one of the ways described in planetary rendering literature and the one most used works with a dual system: on one hand you have 64 bit coordinates for each object (which gives necessary precision for handling everything at the planetary scale), on the other hand on each frame you choose a point of reference (usually the camera), compute the position of every object relative to that point and store it in 32 bit. This means you'll have all your coordinates in familiar 32 bit coordinates for rendering. The loss of precision due to going from 64 to 32 bits won't be noticed because it'll be for objects that are far from the camera so they won't be close enough that you'd notice jittering. There's special provision for objects that are too big (more than 13 kilometers) where you have to handle them in parts (the more extreme version being to do that operation on each vertex, probably happens for stuff like orbit overlays usually), and that's purely the graphical side, but to integrate existing physics engine you'd do a similar process (group a number of objects in a zone no bigger than what the physics engine can handle, convert them all to a local 32 bit coordinate system, do physics, convert back to universal 64 bits, repeat for all object clusters. Kerbal works that way for example).

But what happens when you add 1000 rigid bodies all firing poo poo with AI also doing stuff?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
So this is nice

As messed up as Roberts is, the support staff were friendly and quick once they got on it. Feel bad for those blokes.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Happy for you commando

How much of Roberts' dreams did you manage to claw back?

Ha. 480 USD. I was surprised i'd spent that much. I thought the original goals were doable (they were) and thought they would work on them in order (they didn't) and instead we have crazy red herrings all over the shop.

Trying to sell Star Marine as something we all originally backed was the slap in the face for me. gently caress you Roberts you lying piece of poo poo, I know you pushed out Star Marine because exactly what CryEngine was designed for and the only thing you could actually do.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

You'll get a Switch and half a ps4 for that stack of jpegs

I reckon ill just go to Spain for a week and get pissed. Come back home and play E:D.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
The patch notes look like what I hand into my boss every week.

- Actually put validation in when I was meant to but was hungover and forgot.
- Unfucked logins. People can now log in again!
- End prices are now actually calculated instead of the hardcoded place holders.

etc etc.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

If they are starting parts of it in late 2017 then

1. It ain't coming out this summer MoMA

2. 2019 may be a possibility but probably not.

Maybe Australian Summer.... 2020

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Hav posted:

{{{hug}}}

'salright. I'm not mad, just Australian.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

DapperDon posted:

I laughed my rear end off at the level of shilling effort that went into this apology post.

5/7. I've lost thousands on actual tech investments and to be fair to his argument, some have had great tech and lovely management. CIG has poo poo all the things.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I kind of want to kickstart a similar game and see how quick I could get all the same functionality out.

Whos in?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

That dude loves Derek's dick. A lot.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
This is why I moved from Australia to EU.

The connections 4G, unlimited download for EUR 35 which I find pretty cool.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I gotta ask. I googled but it didnt help.

What the gently caress is Subsumption in regards to Star Citizen? Wikipedia just basically says its typed inheritance. Why say subsumption?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

MeLKoR posted:

Have you watched Westworld? Chris did.

Star Citizen: Doesn't look like anything to me.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Hahahaha

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15707-V-Day-Sale-Love-Is-In-The-Air-and-Space

quote:

This Valentine’s Day, we’ve got love and rockets! What better time to introduce that special someone to the wonders of Star Citizen? To that end, we’ve created a special offer that focuses on ships that let you take on the galaxy together. From the stylish 85x runabout (perfect for a romantic evening watching the traffic at Port Olisar) to the massive Starfarer Gemini tanker (room for the whole family… and then some!), we have multi-crew ships for every occasion — plus special discounts on two-packs!

Not quite ready to commit? We’re also giving you (and your loved ones) the opportunity to try Star Citizen for free! Just click HERE, use the code SHARETHELOVE and you’ll receive access to a multi-crew Constellation Andromeda to test fly through Sunday, February 20th. Ready to bring a friend to Arena Commander, Star Marine, Crusader and beyond? A limited number of discount starter packages are also available below. Sale runs through February 28, 2017 or while supplies last.

quote:

Thinking about getting serious? Nothing says ‘I care’ like the rugged Aegis Vanguard deep space fighter, a favorite among long range mercenary pilots and well-armed explorers alike. With firepower and the ability to get you and your co-pilot out of the most dangerous situations, the twin-boom Vanguard design is a favorite from Earth to the frontier.

By popular request, we are also making available the Battlefield Upgrade Kits (BUKs) for the Vanguard line, which allow captains to swap between variants on a single chassis. Please note that these upgrades are not available in the current alpha build of Star Citizen; their functionality will be added in a future patch.

I can't stop hahahaha

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

How many Star Citizen dollars do I get for 1 real dollar?

drat the ship prices will never stop making me lol

You get a discount if you buy two right now though. 2 vanguards would normally cost you 500 dollars but because its valentines day, the sale gives you two for 450.

Not even joking.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Great so now Star Citizen is failing and Thermidor didn't make it. When will you goons stop!?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Quavers posted:

Elite's 2.3 beta has started, but no multi-crew yet. Stupidly huge patch notes warning...

Holy poo poo. Thats insane. Off I go to play E:D again.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony goon’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my jpegs.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

The raw onion is really triggering me. Mods?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Next sale prediction

EASTER SALE!

Get the Constellation Aquila and the Super Hornet for just $800 dollars with LTI so you can rise from the dead just like Jesus!
*Constellation Aquila currently not flight ready

Move stones around like Jesus with the new exciting mining patch!
*Mining currently under development

Crucify your opponents with the redeemer gunship for the sale price of $500 dollars!
*Redeemer currently not flight ready

EDIT: taxxe

Baxta fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 10, 2017

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Alternatively they could have a forgiveness sale. Anyone with a refunded account can buy a new package and have their account and backer rewards restored.*

*$66.99 Penance Fee Applies

Ha this is better. I vote for penance.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gu-dQJVlpM

I once went to sweden because I thought the sausages would be nice. I got a refund from this game because I thought it would be worth less than meme sausages.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

I thought she was a voice actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Everyone in the future is slightly chubby. Makes sense.