Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The article also flat out confirms that Chris was caught using MS game money to pay for the Wing Commander movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That e-mail chain still loving delivers. I love it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kw0134 posted:

Human desire is a really weird thing, and it's clear that there's some deep primal itch being scratched by Crobbers. In defense of that longing people do some bizarre things, like throw thousands of dollars at an underbaked project and attacking rabidly against any and all comers. The problem is viewing it as a commercial transaction when identity and longing are apparently wrapped around the project as tightly as it can be.

But that's exactly how marketing works. You work to establish a brand that people can identify with and attach value to. You're either a Coke person or a Pepsi person. You're a Ford guy or a Chevy guy. Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts. In a world where social media allows you to connect with anyone, people struggle to find what they're going to connect over. Star Citizen was a promise; an opportunity to experience your own personal Star Wars in a massively immersive environment where you could be something. You'd have an experience you could share with your friends, doing something ambitious and amazing. People will gladly pay hundreds or even thousands to achieve that dream. Escapism is incredibly powerful.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It looks the same?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

reverend crabhands posted:

I'll will repost the image from my first post where I posted an > 4k version, that you couldn't notice any difference on.

ED is bad.

I retract my previous statement.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I’m a fan of this post, because the thread typically equates the modern legacy of the Wing Commander franchise with the significance of the first couple Wing Commander games when they came out. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that Wing Commander I was like a bomb going off among my crowd. The only game with something like modern cinematics that I can remember playing before that was Karateka, and say what you want about the “flying in circles and shooting” gameplay, there’d been nothing that could touch that experience to that point. It was probably the closest that Roberts ever came to capturing the excitement of that Star Wars experience he never shuts up about. WC II followed the next year and was essentially more of the same, but I think it’s fair to say that most of the fans were A-OK with more of the same at that point.

It wasn’t until two years later that X-Wing came out, and it was technically quite good and fun enough, but it wasn’t much of a sea change from WC gameplay, and most folks I knew perceived it (fairly, I think) as Lucas chasing the Wing Commander market. It was basically something you could use to chase the rush of first playing WC I while waiting for the next installment, plus hey Star Wars nostalgia. Then the next year WC III and TIE fighter both came out, and goddamn there was just no comparison. Wing Commander looked like a tired retread with an FMV gimmick that took no lessons from X-Wing (plus Hobbes is evil whaaaaaa?), while TIE fighter is a motherfucking masterpiece. It’s that point that most of us that hadn’t already forgotten about WC started to write it off and the crobbear we know and live today really started to cement his rep. In fact, as much as we loved playing the Wing Commander of old, I don’t think any of us could have told you who Chris Roberts was until around this time. The rest is history, as they say on the mean streets.

So I guess the point is believe it or not at one time Christobear really did have a reputation that was deserved, but he got lapped in the market and squandered his opportunity by making lackluster sequels. Which sounds familiar somehow. Hm.

e: Durrrr.

It boils down to this; Chris is a game storyteller, not a game developer. What made WC special was that it pushed the envelope in terms of narrative experience. The game play was bad, but it wasn't so bad that it took away from the story. He's never given a poo poo about how his game plays, only that it can be used to tell a story.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Happy Sisyphus posted:

When I started posting in this thread I had just finished high school. In the fall I start a doctoral program. I do believe Star Citizen will still be in development 7 years from now when I finish graduate school. See you all next year

Sup PhD buddy!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Star Citizer: He only had an aurora and didn't want to take the hour-long flight.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Store Citizer is really coming together now. Watch how this mission goes craaaaaaazy off the rails!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDITUnzOnpQ

Haha, they stole all the drugs! It took hours of hauling crates one at a time! I'm guessing the whole thing was edited to eliminate about 50,000 crashes and restarts! In the end they made 170k, almost enough for a... <checks notes>... literally nothing. You cannot buy anything with that amount of money. The most worthless ship in the game costs 250k.

That looks like rear end.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Neltharak posted:

Is it just me or did graphic quality actively go down since arena commander ? Like, heavily so ?

I think it's stayed the same, it's just been six years since AC came out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Nice of cig to finally rip this guy off, people have only been asking them to do it for like four years

I was wondering when they were finally going to do that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, but before they found Money they had an administrative assistant or receptionist, forget which, who was a black lady, join them for one of the videos. She was visibly not into it.

I think she was the building manager.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fidelitious posted:

Looking back with what we know now about Sandi now, I wonder what happened way back when Lisa Ohanian left.

She seemed to be one of the more intelligent people around and she probably saw the project for what it was in 2015, but I heavily suspect that Sandi hated her and that it played a role in her getting out.
And hey, she got to produce on God of War instead of being stuck on the CIG poo poo-train, so great move for her in the end.

Lisa was intelligent, professional, attractive, and by all accounts good at her job. She connected well with the fans, who loved that she also provided actual information about ships.

Obviously she had to go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Interesting number choice there Ben...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

When you have to use the word "believe" to describe a product you pay for, perhaps you should reconsider what you're buying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Have I missed anything over the last 400 posts or so?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

An "optimistic realist" seems like a really nice way to say "I con myself before I let others do it."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Quavers posted:

https://twitter.com/Dicefailure/status/1134079582246703104

"If I sell my $30k of ships now, I'll lose money" :shepspends:

It must be nice to be wealthy enough that recouping thousands of dollars is a waste of time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Saw this today while shopping for a new couch and immediately thought of you guys.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

happyhippy posted:

So you got this instead of the couch I assume?
Looks like a cheap autopsy table.

My daughter liked it.

My wife said no.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol:

That brings to mind another couple chapters of humorous fraud from this sham company. Wasn't there some kind of Valentine's Day promotion where you could buy two ships or something, with the hilarious limitation that you were still buying them both for yourself? Or that when you bought Star Citizen "swag" like t-shirts or whatever, if you bought more than one you had to ship each one in a separate box, each time incurring the maximum possible shipping fee.

It's been going on for so long, and they've done so much stupid poo poo, it's impossible to keep track of all this. There's more information about their legendary ineptitude over the bigger part of a decade now, I feel universities have enough to offer a loving doctorate degree for people who can get their heads around it all. Maybe in the future we'll see accredited Star Citizen historians on documentaries with bookshelves behind them filled with encyclopedic tomes documenting CIG's fraud and unforced errors, and they'll tip their half-moon glasses and tell the interviewer "I'll have to re-read on that one, I think I remember it, there's just so much here."

CIG did have a promotional package where you could buy a pair of ships for Valentine's Day.

Packages can not be split in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
RGO is good. It's literally Privateer 2019, with all the positives and negatives associated with that.