Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I just hit page 6360 in the old thread. Side plot about to wrap up :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

For any tax evaders out there:

Industrial Grade Cat Remover (Hides the entire post for a single infraction. Good for cruising over hundreds of pages)
Regular Strength Cat Remover (Only hides pictures if suspected of being pet related. May get updates to hide sections of irrelevant cat chatter)

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

DapperDon posted:

The biggest thing I was wanting to look forward to was to see dozens of Goons in starter ships go after those whales in the super expensive chariots like a pack of hyenas.
This made me think back:

2012 - Even for a kickstarter this sounds ambitious, I'll try it when it's done.
2013 - Holy poo poo they made a lot of money! Why are people discussing mechanics as if they exist already?
2014 - Star Citizen is an MMO now? Maybe it will be like an approachable EVE, could be fun. Elite was alright but why are Star Citizen fans so mad? Can you even fly a spaceship yet? Wtf is this spaceship show? An entire youtube series about one asset seems weird but I guess they have a lot of money.
2015 - CryEngine? Do you have any idea what you are doing? Why focus on art when there are no gameplay elements? :wtc: $100 million dollars! One lovely station and they are focused on adding a cash shop to an unreleased game, Citizens are perfectly fine with this.
2016 - :stonklol:
2017 - "In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well Ray himself responded to my refund request. Their e-commerce team is reviewing the account and will let me know how much they're going to offer.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

quote:

"Now you have a million game designers, a million arm chair developers, a million CEOs [telling us what to do]," Roberts explained.

If it were up to me and I actually wanted to deliver a game: fire all but the absolute essential artists down to a team of 2-8 max, and focus on finding or making something that demonstrates an ability to support at least 100 players reliably in a single star system, scrapping StarEngine entirely if necessary. Alternatively, let go of all artists and just use programmer art till game systems work together in a proven manner, and then worry about fidelity.

As far as I can tell; as long as CryEngine/StarEngine is in play, nothing resembling the original promise can be delivered. It seems wholly unsuited for anything beyond a single player fps or 16-32 player multiplayer (1 zone).
Counter argument: list of games that use a version of CryEngine includes at least one MMO.

Speaking out of my rear end as I don't have standing in gamedev specifically; can someone with real-world experience explain how they might go about salvaging this? Assuming that is even possible.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Gamespot's Article - Star Citizen Creator Wishes He'd Explained Game's Development Schedule Better

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Wait are you telling me Chris doesn't know about the Mythical Man-Month? (adding manpower to a software project makes it later)

spacetoaster posted:

Have we got a link to the show?

FOUND IT! http://myxtv.com/shows/videos/cast-me-ep2
Not strong enough :negative:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

The Titanic posted:

This is as depressing as it is realistic. I've seen stuff like this happen at pretty big levels, like an entire factory. One day people come to work and the gates are chained up. What a great surprise for everybody. :(

No Spoilers :argh:

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 13, 2016

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

While watching the White Rabbit Project on Scam artists, the covered The Dale. I was reminded of a single passenger car on display at the mall some time ago; "Early pre-orders get it for $1000" seemed like an appealing deal for a whole car. Didn't go for it but today I went and figured out the name of that company: Elio Motors

quote:

the vehicle, which was initially slated for 2014. The date has once been pushed back to 2015, and again moved to 2016. They are now saying that production will begin in 2017.
:eyepop:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

1 - Chris announces he is shutting down all extraneous offices and shell corps. Bringing the team count under 60 so he can micro-manage each one personally.
2 - Admits StarEngine is being scrapped in favor of a new engine that will focus on 3 things: flight, autonomous NPCs, and FIDELITY
3 - Confesses the entire idea of LTI is incompatible with the concept of money sinks of online economies and will no longer be honored or included in purchases pledges.
4 - Exhibits new "Refund my entire account" button in account options; Chris accidentally reveals he owns 0 ships.
5 - Live shutdown of the community forums.

Bonus - Breaks the news that only 10million dollars remain and that outside investment is being sought.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Mr.PayDay posted:

Let them tell you:

"People are obsessed with having legal control, I am not.

I trust that Chris is not a scam artist, I believe, absent physical proof or control that he will do his best to deliver the best game that he can deliver with the resources he has been granted.

If he fails, oh well, that was a risk we all took together in giving him a collective $130 million dollars. I can watch my $2000 drift away and get on with my life.

The potential payoff of "the best damned space sim ever" is worth that risk to me. I understood from day one that it was a risk and when it looked shaky rather than cutting bait I doubled down, because from everything I see him say and do I trust that he is an autisitc nerd trying to make the holy grail of nerd-dom and I want to help.

I also believe as an author/artist myself that strict controls and oversight and intrusive accounting has a stifling effect on creativity and productivity. If you want someone to produce something beautiful from their own mind you cannot lean over their should nitpicking all the time, this kills the creative process. Even if you paid for the sculpture you have to gently caress off and let the sculptor be while it is being made."

:cool:
Need more ? Here:

"An opinion is not a fact no matter how many times you state it.

Your perspective tells you that $2000 is an enormous sum of money that should be spent on socially acceptable things. My perspective tells me that $2000 is an expendable sum of money that can be risked on a dream. Neither of us is wrong in our own context we only become wrong when we attempt to force our opinion into someone elses context.

I would be wrong to demand that you a poorfag spends $2000 on a game so that my dream will have more funding.

You are wrong to demand that I live according to your monetary ideals and spend money only on essentials. Just because you would not do a thing, does not make that thing wrong or stupid or irrational. Motivation is not objective and you are not the arbiter of rationality."

He doesn't have the nickname Chris “make that pixel blue, not green” Roberts for nothing you know.

ripptide posted:

ROFL Guess they're really getting desperate, just received my PTU invite for 2.6k. Wonder if I should email them back reminding them I'm a dirty leaver and no longer have an account )

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

TheLightPurges posted:

They did this poo poo with 2.4. Half the features were missing and it was dire but they pushed that poo poo to Live anyway.

The way they handle version numbering is a complete misdirection. Somehow everyone argues about when and which each version is hitting evocati/PTU and largely forget that they are adding do-dads instead of major features. I seriously have no idea what Star Marine has do with the final product; it's a slightly different tech demo that they can now fiddle with for all of 2017.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Please make sure this gets filed as "yardgate" to avoid confusion in the future when CIG's hardwood supply shop comes to light.

This is my favorite present ever :tipshat:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Baxta posted:

I get that they can both use the same libraries. Thats ok. How does "star engine" seamlessly work with Lumberyard though? If star engine was so completely different from cryengine, are they then using lumberyard as the new base and referencing their own libraries in some other branch? Are they just starting from scratch and using some other 2.6 branch and ditching their previous stuff? How can this be anything other than bullshit?!

This makes me think the 64-bit precision was all bullshit. :ohdear:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

D_Smart posted:

No matter how they spin it; this is bad. And I warned (just weeks ago) about something big coming by year end and which backers need to be prepared for. I just couldn't talk about it because it would put people at risk since only a few people knew about this. I am on vacation with only access to mobile; so I can't find the tweet. But search my feed, it's in there. I am writing a new blog about this when I come back, that's why I am not saying much now because then the blog would be pointless.

If anyone decides to get serious about leaking/prediction efforts: http://aesencryption.net/

Alternatively I have this: (guaranteed to never doxx)

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Everyone likes to throw out the what-ifs for the completely unlikely event of SC being released as a possible win for people from here but even if it did, would anyone seriously want to give Chris Roberts money? After all this?

I don't think trying to fill a bucket with commando-tears would be worth the price of admission if it meant giving a single dollar to these people.

To be fair you probably wouldn't be paying a company owned by Chris Roberts if this actually sees a full release.

maybe a shell company run by his brother

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Promise me that if the game actually comes out, Goons will adopt Kilrathi avatars and meowing speech packs the better to taunt their victims with.

I'll get started on the soundboard right away. By 'right away' I mean in 2020 when Amazon has nearly completed cleaning up this mess. They're obligated to release something because it's a partnership!

Kinda reminds me of an obscure part of Amazon's TOS:

quote:

The Amazon EC2 servers are hosted in and are subject to all applicable laws of the United States and other applicable local laws. You are responsible for maintaining licenses and adhering to the license terms of any software you run. Certain services are prohibited, and you may not operate a site or service that:
Constitutes, promotes, facilitates, or permits gambling.

Nobody calls Star Citizen outright gambling though right?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did I doubt a little? Sure - It's a crowd-funded game from a new company helmed by a mix of individuals from different walks of life. There's always a tinge of doubt. But, through the course of the last couple of years my observations, information I received from individuals and the interactions from CIG, I do believe the project will eventually succeed. I think anyone spending money on crowdfunding ought to realize that it's a gamble. If Chris pulls a similar stunt as Keiji (I don't think he will), I can't be mad at myself for willingly and knowingly spending my money on something that wasn't a sure thing.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I always said I can move to sell my stuff next year (there'll be people who will buy - no doubt). But any money I spent on this game so far is money I knew I might not see again. Unlike others with buyers' remorse, I went into this thinking that it's a gamble.
We need your guidance in this trying time, your parents can handle themselves.

:yarg: :gary:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

orcinus posted:

Theorycrafting about what it would be like if Star Citizen actually came out is nice and all, but missed one glaring issue - even if it did somehow come out, and was technically completely functional, and contained all the features announced...

... it would still be unplayable and broken. Because the fundamental design of the game is either completely lacking, or totally broken, depending on the area, and people designing it couldn't be trusted to design a circle with a drafting compass.

hand waving translation:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

kikkelivelho posted:

I know these twelve or so goons like to pretend that they are experts in all things design and software but lets make some things clear

Lumbertyard is not a "new" engine it is the Cryengine engine with a lot of added cloud based features and systems

Lumbertyard is fully a Cryengine engine and all source code fully licensed totally with rights to make games functioning over a computing cloud and licensing it forward to anyone who wants to make cloud based games.

Because Star Citizen was from the beginning based on cloud computing and large servers the only thing that they needed to do was to transfer their cloud servers from Google's cloud to Amazon's cloud and with the 2.6 patch that has been done (2.5 was still Google 2.6 is now running on Amazon's cloud).

The Amazon Lumberyard license is free right now and this will also be true for any future Star Citizen mod servers.

Lumberyard is using a slightly newer version of Cryengine as it's engine so when Star Citizen moves over to it all current features will remain intact but CIG will be free from all the Crytech licenses which will be a good thing since Crytech probably won't exist for long Star Citizen and CIG can avoid all the trouble that a Crytech bankruptcy can bring

The move to Lumberyard is a massive financial boost to everyone who dreams of running their own Star Citizen servers since that will now be considerably cheaper and easier.

I deleted my reply thinking this was sarcasm :negative:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Amazon targeted Star Citizen as a flagship AAA game :vince:

Chris wasn't jumping ship at all, makes so much sense! Crytek figuratively smoldering days prior was just a coincidence!

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

BigMouthSingers posted:

I think we're missing the woods for the trees. Lumberyard may well be have been easy to join with starengine, but there must be a significant amount of custom platform scaffolding unrelated to the engine that means the jig is up for their devops guys.

Something just doesn't add up. StarEngine supposedly has vast custom improvements like 64-bit precision, yet it only took a short time to get the whole game working on Lumberyard? It seems to me, either all their changes were isolated to a few objects/classes or they never made any significant changes.

Looking at the documentation, I can't even tell if you can make changes to the base engine; if somehow you can't, that would be incredibly damning to their StarEngine story.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

equivalent easter egg in star citizen would cost 15k in mo-cap and actors.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

What the hell was mega map?

edit: And was it in their lovely open roadmap/ Gantt charts?

MegaMap is the idea that they can put hangar walking, PTU, and Star Marine into one game-mode; as opposed to however you launch each of those right now.

The reason you have never heard of this new term is nobody in their right mind ever tried to make a fps-rpg-4x-procedural-singleplayer-mmo at the same time before.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

D_Smart posted:

I have completed the blog. It's going live tomorrow, so I have password protected it until then.

http://dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

It's live! :derp:

Is this a new message on their site?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

blog TL;DR:

quote:

None of this matters anyway; the game is never getting finished

nerdz posted:

It's the length of their gantt charts

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

It was just a prank Derek, come back!

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

blog ends on the point, if CIG significantly slows the rate of accepting refund requests, it could cause a bank run type scenario where citizens realize the project is running low on funds and risk of project success is more likely to be questioned, resulting in even more 'withdraws'.
The recent introduction of a supposed "Tier 2 eCommerce team" could be an indication that there might be more refund resistance soon.

I don't think we'll ever see a court battle over a refund because it'll never be worth the cost, risk, and PR nightmare. It's easier to just run interference as a delay tactic while fishing whales.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Maybe it's crazy to ask the guy but is there even one example feature that is possible on their secret sauce engine that Lumberyard can't do? 64-bit precision is nebulous in meaning considering there is no full sized planet you can circle, pointless.

Edge Blending? Parallax Occlusion Mapping? These are the only two things I could find mention of.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah, that must be why they're ending the segment. :haw:

CIG why you pay Wulf and you no pay me? :byodood:

I skimmed the 'Happy Hour' stream and to be fair Sean Tracy was talking most of the time (while everyone else was very distracted shooting icons)

Tidbits:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I believe it still slams every possible inch of bandwidth as well.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Tippis posted:

To be fair, he's saying that CryEngine and Lumberyard have regular levels, whereas StarEngine just have that one singular generic space around the player that new objects are placed into on the fly.

Here he says they have got rid of that pesky stage concept in their lumberyard build. IE done. sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK2ZBCeKKuQ&t=2390s

\/ \/ \/ Not sure what you are describing then \/ \/ \/

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 22, 2017

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

And this is how you spell scam in Alienese

Xaerael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6tWxM_d0o
As an expert in GleepGlop linguistics, I can confirm that text reads "Get a Refund"

SelenicMartian posted:

The linguist in me is almost tempted to watch this atv instead of scanning it for gifs. Maybe later.

It was interesting, worth a watch imo. Aside from being a complete squandering of funds on such a minute detail; but you know ~fidelity~

That reminds me of one more thing

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Maybe I don't know much about game development but when I use a library or framework; I spend pretty much zero time trying to backport features into my own custom version. Then again I typically choose frameworks that are designed to support my end goal and not ~fidelity~

Here I was thinking Chris made a half-decent choice to go with Lumberyard so he could focus on gameplay.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

lol it even has a former investor turned boogeyman seeking vindication.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

We watched the same video, but through a different lens. A large portion of this thread is literally impossible to please. You are just quite vocal. It doesn't matter one tiny bit what is shown, said, or played, you will always, always want more.

Unfortunately it's to the point of absurdity. You all complain so much about not getting enough detail or insight, but don't realize that the more detailed the information we get is, the less people understand it.

CR even shows an example of this cargo thing in a big demo reveal, but you'll see people on here complaining as if he literally said nothing whatsoever about cargo/cargo missions. It's honestly astounding and disappointing. I've seen people on here have poo poo explained to them in simple terms like that, but then ask how the gently caress it's done in-game. Like.. poo poo dude, do you want a programmer/designer/whatever the hell job-guy to literally sit down and show you how to use his 3-D modelling program, or how to use his scripting program? Sorry, but unless you went to college for that poo poo or learned it over time (which is maybe .05% of this thread), you're not going to know what the hell is going on anyways.

I just don't even get it man.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Honestly I agree. Most AAA stuff isn't great. I'm thinking SC will be able to either redefine what it means to be AAA or just straight up call it the first AAAA game.

Thank you for confirming the existence of parallel universes.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

AP posted:

EXPECTED RESULT
You successfully walk forwards.
The game should have started.
All objects in FOV should be seen
Expect to operate Pilot controls normally when 2nd crew member is seated
Normal reload animation with no magazines left floating in the air and no magazine missing from the gun meanwhile.
When I quantum travel back to Port Olisar the ring should not be floating next to the station.
Targeting should make sense - not flick an array of players based on no priority. There should be an option to target enemys nearest to you or ones you are looking at - and next hostile target should toggle through the enemy in proximity order, not random order.
To aim with gimbals i need to have a pip
That white box should not be there. I think there might be a missing art asset.
Since we dont have rocket launcher or something to kill an ship from EVA, there should be an armistice zone. But if we have rocket launcher it will be ok because we will be able to take an secret exit and counter attack
The ship should stay where it is.
To shoot freely without inflicting self-damage
The asteroid to block gun fire.
Game does not crash.
I expected the ship to move forward when I apply throttle, but all I can do is pitch and yaw.
No idea, perhaps add an extra layer of whatever invisible wall normally blocks passage?
If a player has used their last respawn and have none left, if the respawn message simply went away, they would know they don't have any left.
An expected result would be a normal stair without texture/wall overlapping (and also a the "finished" wall at deck 3)
weapons should fire normally regardless of flight mode or camera view
For all NPCs to be engaging in dogfight maneuvers.
Not to have a locked camera.
I should see a door
Ship remains intact when manoeuvring and not crashing
The shop keeper should sit in his shop.
The ship should have 0% visual damage when spawned
get a normal standing in the elevator when it is going up
The character isn't holding a weapon and the normal jumping animation should be triggered instead.
The match should start on the first try, as I am connected with the proper authorization.
Game should have continued as normal. Possibly even lose some frame rate at first.
I expect ships that are not purchased with REC to show up in all areas of the game.
Success on EVA.
Chat showing.
Boarding deaths should have nothing to do with crimestats.
shields come on line in alignment with ship profile
able to use screens, select refuelling options etc in 3rd person, or be able to get back into first person view.
The ship should barely move when *touched* by a human's worth of mass.
fire weapons with no issue's
The main thrusters would move
Flight controls should remain consistent, and not fade with use.
Player geometry should not have been able to move through the floor and I should not have been able to interact with it
Open hanger, all items there. I have cancelled my subscription until this gets resolved as I PAID for some of the missing items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neNlBtD2pi4&t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08LWMy1HVE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BszVeyA5Rg

One thing I fail to understand is how citizens write this stuff and keep faith. The only way we can reconcile these two things seemingly at odds is if citizens think "yeah, I'm making a difference, this bug report is going to be reviewed and fixed!"

Sadly; most of these are not bugs at all, they're the symptoms of an unstable design. Probably some aspect of engine abuse as well but who knows.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Here we go again. Round 2:

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/823942522934177792

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

it's me. I'm Chris' missing pants.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Obsidian posted their 'Road to Eternity' video recently. They painted quite a different picture of taking a crowdfunded game from prototype to market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=937s
"You need to define what is the first prototype for the game we're going to make; and based on the resources you have now, can you make that [prototype] and when can you make it by?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1020s
"I think sometimes when you have these huge teams, you think to do anything you need a huge team and you don't."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1228s
"Prototype one is not meant to be pretty. It's supposed to just have the basic core things you can do in the game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1594s
"When you do have a tighter budget you have to narrow your scope"

Cutting Features is sometimes necessary to deliver a successful verticle slice. Goes on about something called a "schedule" and tops it with a "budget"

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Kosumo posted:

Typical statements from people that don't understand game development.

Have they ever directed members of Hollywood A-list?

You can't just buy that, you have to earn that with talent and respect.

They probably don't even own cars, let alone performace ones. Bet they take a bus to work.

Chumps.

Oops forgot one. And yes you can see someone leave the office on a bike. What a noobie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1360s
"We tried to figure out how fast we can do things. So we can project out how long; say we have 108 different areas we need to make in this game; how long is that going to take us? Is that going to take us into 2018?"

[4 years to get one essential feature] x [5 remaining features] = 20 more years :toot:
alternatively
[4 years] / [35 flyable ships] = [1.37 months per ship] x [42 remaining ships*] = 4.8 years to convert all jpegs to 3D :science:

* subject to more concept sales

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Chunjee posted:

Oops forgot one. And yes you can see someone leave the office on a bike. What a noobie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1360s
"We tried to figure out how fast we can do things. So we can project out how long; say we have 108 different areas we need to make in this game; how long is that going to take us? Is that going to take us into 2018?"

[4 years to get one essential feature] x [5 remaining features] = 20 more years :toot:
alternatively
[4 years] / [35 flyable ships] = [1.37 months per ship] x [42 remaining ships*] = 4.8 years to convert all jpegs to 3D :science:

* subject to more concept sales

another way to measure it:

[one kinda finished star system in 4 years] x [99 unfinished star systems] = 396 years :hb:
but I'm sure the planet pipeline will solve that shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/825091224080101376

Someone post the especially awesome render contained therein.