Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

We should refer to that as Chris's October 2015 Blog

fifth_stimpire.txt

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Inkel posted:

Holy crap, is this the actual letter that Chris sent to The Escapist? I guess I never actually looked it up since it was before I started following this disaster. This is the ramblings of an insane man a coke fiend.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ayn Marx posted:

MoMA is steadily improving as a poster while Derek releases official statements instead of legally actionable blogs. You know what when Star Citizen is released to general acclaim I'll play with you MoMA

I would proudly serve in MoMA's Javelin while he storm's a pirate outpost. I'd sell you all out in the blink of an eye.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

wtf is the point of even having deadlines if you're a month or two late on them?

These aren't deadlines, they're the internal goals CIG is aiming for.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

since moma is asian it wouldn't take much for him to femme up

Tell me more. :nallears:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tarquinn posted:

:argh: B4tBG for cheating us out of page 6666.

https://i.imgur.com/urzLhrC.mp4

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

alf_pogs posted:

so whats the odds of cig managing to limp through 2017? i used to be amazed when anybody gave them another dollar but after the recent bump anything seems possible

When you think about it development didn't really start until 2016.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

Instead of actually modelling flight physics (mass of ship, power of thrusters, direction of thrust and the resulting acceleration and velocity etc.) they're actually doing it in reverse. By default the ship is assumed to be in one piece and therefore has their "default" tweak values for noclipping around. If the ship takes "damage" to a certain thruster, then the ship will fly differently based on that damage state. Example:

State0 (undamaged):
- acceleration:34
- mass:78
- leanleft:0
- leanright:0

State1 (left thruster damaged):
- acceleration:17
- mass:76
- leanleft:10
- leanright:0

This is an oversimplification, but you get the gist of it. The goal is to have as many simple states as possible that make the ship fly differently based on all the combinations of thrusters/systems that can be damaged. There's actually nothing at all wrong with doing it this way from a technical perspective - as long as the game feels right. It's actually rather clever, because it needs basically 0 CPU power to do it this way, instead of complex physics calculations. It also allows them to tweak things quickly and easily on the "ship feel" front without loving around with the entire engine each time.

Of course the real issue isn't how they're doing it - it's that CIG has a pathological need to constantly tell backers that everything in the game is mimicking reality itself in the code - when the truth is that, like every other developer, they use cheats to achieve the desired result.

Granted that I'm not a game dev but that's exactly how I'd do it, why gently caress around with rocket science? The problem is that: 1) they are lying about it; 2) they are doing a horrible job of it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Been going over the attic again, looking for stuff that would be worth reposting on the first pages of this thread for ease of access in the future. Holy poo poo did we make a shitload of Ben gifs. He's really photogenic.

https://i.imgur.com/SgdCvyp.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/e0sMmBf.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/gQEgaz6.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/czSPJQt.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/MGKIVOT.mp4

I'm going to be dumping this in several parts over the next few days. I considered posting the GIFs instead of the MP4s for the extra immersion in the Star Citizen experience but in the end decided against it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ewe2 posted:

Hey guys please consider there are other threads you could image-dump into that will not inconvenience those of us without unlimited internet, as nice as it is to see the creativity of goons.

This is pretty great, thanks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov posted:

The Avalon is where they have LA Citcon. Coincidence?

Probably, but backer money being funneled to get C&S up the OT ladder and Hollywood connections through Scientology really is the only thing missing in this farce.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

crisp roberts posted:

Wait no, SeaOrg had working ships with real physics

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thoatse posted:

Do you have a non 'derek smart was right' version of this by chance?

https://i.imgur.com/cts0CYq.mp4

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

Being lazy here but how do they go about making that a TV show? I mean I've seen the movie West World, and from what I remember it was basically just a theme park with robotic people, there's West World where you go to saloons and gun down a robot version of the dude from Magnificent Seven, and then there's Medieval World which is endless feasting and court stuff and Roman world which is just orgies. Then the whole thing just goes haywire and the robots lose their inhibitions and start murdering people, particularly the West World gunslinger who's kind of like the Terminator of the movie. The heroes have to run away from him and try to fix things or atleast stop the robots.

How is that a series?
Because the series is about what happens when you gently caress around with AIs and treat them like trash. It's not Terminator, it's more the film version of "I, Robot".

Raskolnikov posted:

100% serious posting, just go watch it. You will be surprised.
This X1000. Westworld is a great show.

:siren: HUGE SPOILERS ABOUT THE FINAL EPISODE DO NOT READ :siren:

I couldn't help but get a huge Chris Roberts vibe from the whole thing. Why the gently caress did Ford go out of his way to torture these creatures for 3 decades and make them really loving loathe us before being allowed to retain their sentience? He had three loving decades to prepare the ground for a peaceful integration of AIs into human society, he could have downgraded the Hosts a little so they weren't capable of self-wareness and kept the ones that had already attained sentience secret, protected and above all cherished and made to feel like their creators loved them.
In time he could start raising the ethical questions of "should we keep AIs as slaves if they ever became sentient" before even revealing that sentience had already been attained. It could have all worked out for the best if they kept it simple.
Instead, he ironically wrote himself into a corner where the only way forward is war between humanity and the AIs. He deliberately wrote the extinction of his species.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 5, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

The utter contempt they show their customers at every level of the organization is what makes CIG stick out from any other random lovely company. I mean it makes sense.

How can you have genuine respect for a customer if you shovel poo poo in their mouths for years and they still pay you thousands of bucks for nothing? You can't. I can see why they've given up.

Why wouldn't they? :reddit: is full of "well everyone is conservatively expecting 2.6 not to come out this year so you're just spreading FUD".

"The joke is on you, goonies, we knew CIG was making GBS threads in our mouths all along!" :smuggo:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

God, whose law it is
that he who learns must suffer.
And even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
and in our own despite, against our will,
comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

Put the Hosts in MeatgrinderWorld, where odds are that every other week the ground opens up under your feet and you get shred to pieces. When they attain sentience appear to them as saving angels releasing them from hell. If suffering is key you don't want to imprint a human face on it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

its funny because star citizen is teaching me the exact same thing

It's questionable whether or not the whales are sentient.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

so Derek Smart is Arnold in this analogy?

Derek is William.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

holy poo poo lol, CIG has an evocati evocati PTU secrect jeshush build?loving lol.
We most go deeper.

It's evocatis all the way down. I know it from good sources that there is an evocati layer already testing 4.0.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

I never said any of those things. Do that again, and you will be blocked.

nice meltdown

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

If you people stopped asking CIG wouldn't have to lie! :downs:

I'll never stop laughing at "it's just an internal roadmap". Like "they're not lying, they're incompetent" is so much better.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

My lucky towel! This is the luckiest part of a bathroom you know! Totally unrelated to that book. I have 42 towels because the only thing that could make my lucky towel be luckier is if I also have my lucky number of them!

Totally unrelated to that super popular nerd-cred book though.

It's an hommage you dullard.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not sure if SC would be so good for his PTSD after his chariot got suicide ganked the third time by a goon repeatedly shouting ALLAHU AKBAR on chat.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JugbandDude posted:

My wife gets pretty upset if I mention this non-game or this dead gay comedy forum.

Sever.

Then, therapy.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chunjee posted:

For any tax evaders out there:

Industrial Grade Cat Remover (Hides the entire post for a single infraction. Good for cruising over hundreds of pages)
Regular Strength Cat Remover (Only hides pictures if suspected of being pet related. May get updates to hide sections of irrelevant cat chatter)

:frogout:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

what does o7 or o9 mean? I get major douchechills from it.

o4

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov posted:

Pineapple on pepperoni is the real winner. It's like #winning by slumming.

Seriously, it's good. Call me.

This is the correct answer. Pepperoni, pineapple and shrimp is boss.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/pu3Rwe4.mp4

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Now, I know that it's colloquially called “a rack”, but come on, it's not actually load-bearing equipment. :cripes:
Oh well, at least it's nice to see that CIG aren't the only ones not to understand physics or how straps work.
That armband is going to fall off as soon as the relaxes that arm. Unless it's just a scrunchie with tassels.

Skellybones posted:

THEORETICALLY, interracial dating isn't a bad thing, but
What I find telling is that this exact sentence structure transcends generations, genders, religions and nationalities. I swear to god whenever I hear that "but" coming I wish I could slap the person in the mouth because you know that regardless of the subject what's going to follow is going to make you think less of them and what's worse is that they know it too, hence the disclaimer. Reactionaries are made of the same poo poo across time and space.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

no_recall posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESNObZJTgQ

Seems like everything Star Citizen isn't.

I don't think "Star Citizen" is impossible to make. Any person that has served as a bridge between costumers and programmers or done both sides of the work can tell you that you can't just take what the customer asks for at face value and do it literally because the costumer doesn't know what he wants. The costumer doesn't know the full range of options at your disposal, or the different ways to tackle a problem. A lot of the times he can't even express what the purpose of what he is asking for is because he didn't think it all the way through. You have to know how things are coded and your limits and you have to know how his business works and what are his needs so that you can interpret what he's saying to you into things that will actually be useful to him otherwise you end up with a bloated feature creeped mess that is a nightmare to maintain and that he never uses.

What the whales really want could be done, gradually. Frontier is not that far from achieving it if they started focusing on adding an FPS component to their game and could even improve it with player faction controlled regions of space one day. Gradually, as they have been doing, building up on a solid foundation. I have zero doubt Braben could do an extremely fun game along those lines if given the level of funding Chris got.

The problem isn't that the interesting/sane parts of "Star Citizen" can't be made, it's that it can't be made by these people. They have gone about it the worst way possible since day one and failed at every single thing since they have attempted ever since, except unscrupulously fleecing sad nerds of their money.

This song is the perfect summation of the entire Star Citizen project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5e0z1_uwHY

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Someone over at FDev forums made a year-by-year comparison of what CIG had collected since the kickstarter, and FDev's revenue over the same period. Turns out, they're pretty similar, except FDev is run like a normal public company that developed two products, released one of them (the other was released soon after the last statement) and then continued to support it with expansions, whereas CIG is built like a tax dodge and has consistently failed to get either of its two products into any semblance of a releasable state.

So while it's still a bit questionable whether Braben could have done what Chris couldn't — we'll have to wait until further expansions come along to see if that one is true or not — the opposite is perhaps both a more interesting and a more easily answered question: why can't Chris do what Braben did?

Well whether it's possible or not it will certainly be easier for Elite to try to incorporate FPS - especially given you can already leave your ship and travel in buggies - than it will be for CIG to do... everything. After all this time they have nothing to build on, because Chris is a hack who made a ton of promises he has no idea how to go about fulfilling.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWqCew1g-A

lovely crowdfunded closed development obvious hacks Warhorse Studios continue to show "progress" on their "game" that is currently in an "alpha state" where all of the intended games features are "implemented". Notable pieces of information include a dramatic three and a half hours of motion capture for a single player narrative game (it took them a whole month), numerous examples of where ambitious features had to be cut for the interest of gameplay, and artists being tasked with the alien concept of "optimization".

Clearly a scam.

Forget Remember the Morrow Tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Oleyo posted:

After you are mesmerized by a giant dough mixer and stick your arm in it while it is operational*, this is how you salute.

The Stimperor prevails! o4