Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Lol this game - I vaguely recall the original KS, and had heard the odd rumble over the years (articles in the escapist etc) but had no idea it was such a shitshow. I've very much enjoyed reading this thread over the past few weeks.

:10bux: well spent man.

Can someone explain to me, in very simple idiot terms, what exactly causes all the clipping, walking thru walls, etc in the clips you guys post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

trucutru posted:

Some people say that in order to "enlarge" the maps they actually shrunk everything to tiny levels. So your character is actually (from the engine's perspective) the size of a mite so determining is actual position in relation with a wall (that is paper thin) is difficult.

Ok thanks, I think I get it.

Honestly the thing that struck me most is that the design looks bland and generic as gently caress.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Not as funny when you realize how much of the mocap budget was wasted on it.

Do we know much does Andy Serkis' company charges, in relation to their competitors? I recall some goon upthread saying it's the priciest mocap facility around.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 17, 2017

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

D_Smart posted:

uhm, who is that, and why should I be contacting him? Clearly I'm missing something?

He's a YouTube guy who does video essays, the only one I've seen concerned the dodgy poo poo that Tim Schaefer does with crowd funding. He's said he's working on an expose of SC.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

This is what Fredo Corleone did wasn't it? Whoever gets the gig should be wary of Roberts inviting them out for a spot of fishing.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Let's pretend they get this procedural planets feature done (bear with me here please), would there be anything, anything at all for the players to do once they're waddling around on these rocks?

If I'm reading the thread correctly then numbers of players on a server will be very small. So what do you do exactly? Have CGI been said if they'll put monsters to zap on the planets?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

MilesK posted:

He left out the parts where one developer made Pupil to Planet in his free time against Croberts wishes.

Lol.

Honestly, I've never got why they spazz out so much about 'has to be 100% seamless, no loading screens at all ever'. Who gives a poo poo? The loading screen is an excellent opportunity to take a piss or get a drink.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I still can't get over how much they have been sperging out over that cafeteria animation. They must have been doing that for months now? It's for a cut scene isn't it?

They seem so proud of it. It's quite odd.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

trucutru posted:

Anyways, you may want to have one of these to play SC properly

Jesus Christ.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm the fingerless black gloves.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

That is a very good video. A very German video.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Just finished the Video Log. It was quite the thing! Derek has promised that if they deliver 3.0 with half the features he may consider not beating them up anymore!

What the hell Derek, are you going soft?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Erenthal posted:

What keeps striking me throughout this thread is just how barren and dull Chris' vision is (and it's his vision we can be 100% sure, otherwise it wouldn't get approved by him) and how limited the man's imagination has to be. There is zero, zip, zilch that tells me that this is SC. It's baby's dirty storage room 101 from any first time level designer.

And I know it's dumb to criticize a single screen dump, but it paints a pattern. A grey, generic pattern.

Yes, this is something that struck me too, when I first starting browsing this thread 6 months ago.

For someone who clearly sees himself as a sort of visionary in the sci-fi genre, Roberts seems only to have the barest interest in it. It's like he watched Star Wars, Aliens and a few episodes of the Battlestar Galactica reboot and came to the conclusion that science fiction is about spaceships and cool sets. Blah blah blah, confederations, rebels, admirals, blah blah blah. What an immensely dull, idea free way to piss away $150 million.

To be fair, this isn't uncommon in video games, which are almost always third rate rip-offs. But CIG is especially bad.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Because of this thread I keep getting SC livestreams popping up on my youtube.

I watched 2 mins of one earlier, and honestly it was just the saddest thing. Two guys in one of the big ships were floating around in space asking each other in the chat what they should do, and if there were any any enemies around or missions they could do or anything.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

How far behind are they on that 3.0 schedule the citizens were creaming themselves over a few weeks ago?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

These upcoming moons. Are they claiming this will have the seamless 'fly yr ship from space right down to the surface' feature?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

All the motion capture and acting that Chris "directed" is not usable. The page stays up until:

I know next to nothing about motion capture, but I remember someone who does posting that Crobblez has shot far more footage than a feature animated film. You know, the ones that cost $100 million, and have actual competent professionals working on them.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

TheAgent posted:

yeah, I did a write up about that awhile back

shooting 20+ hours of scenes with costume changes, nudity, mess halls, 4 different aliens and a shitload of other stuff isn't easy to clean up afterwards

you don't just do the mocap and its suddenly usable in game, it'd take a dedicated team of about 200 to 250 people four to six years to clean up all that poo poo

Jesus Christ. They've pissed away huge amounts of money on this if memory serves.

Roberts should have just been honest and said "if we get to xxx million dollars worth of pledges, I will make a SC film, and use clips as cutscenes". It's clearly where his real interest lies.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if you gave $150 million dollars to anyone else in the world and told them to build a good space sim what are the chances they'd have gotten further along than chris roberts

I would pocket 50 million through a series of dodgy Cayman Island bank accounts, hire a bunch of ambitious young buck developers (with a few vets to manage) and give them another 50 million. I'm sure they could do a halfway decent job with such funding.

The last 50 million I would blow on an advertising blitz to convince nerds that we are Kings of Hot poo poo Island.

I would repeat this cycle every 7 years, and die of a heart attack at the age of 47 due to a life of wanton debauchery.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

no_recall posted:

Could someone explain how all this no-clip is possible?

IIRC, its due to CIG taking Cry-engines standard 8km by 8km map (or whatever it is) and expanding it to bajillionkm by bajillion km. Something, something, now the hit/walking detection is based on checking an absurdly large number.

I am not a game developer.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

That hideous looking Revival game, from Ilfonic, someone posted about a few days back?

I'd never heard of it before (MMOs are trash for trash people), but I googled it and read some articles about their implosion.

Thread favorite Lethality was in the comments defending the gently caress out of it. Guy just seems to be drawn to terrible games.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Yes, one not-at-all-creepy sub-reddit to sperg over Derek isn't enough is it?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone know what the current average of Star Marine players is?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

That leaked S42 script is great - I'm surprised it hasn't been mined more for thread content.

Pretty much confirms Roberts has seen Star Wars and a few eps of Battlestar Galactica a bunch of times, and absolutely nothing else.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

S42 posted:

[Player]: "I'm fine, I just need to get to the foundry..."
[Pilot 02]: "The foundry? Its hell up there, you'd be better off hiding down here with me."

Whats Chris trying to tell us?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Did Croberto really cast himself in his Wing Commander movie, or is that gif of his chariot being pushed off the side of the space thing a shop?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sometimes you just have to love that narcissistic buffoon.

Indeed - I unironically admire the sheer shamelessness of the man.

Like, if some Hollywood studio were demented enough to give me tens of millions of dollars to direct a film, you'd probably be seeing my pasty face as 'condemned prisoner number 3' or whatever.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

They've listed the 3 moons as complete for a while. They must be feeling confident about this.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Why are they loading future hi tech spaceships by hand?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

trucutru posted:

Fidelity!

Chris Roberts is a fool.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I hope something interesting happens soon, because all these Reddit posts are kinda boring TBH.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Why would Amazon want to want to step in as publisher? What possible benefit would it bring them?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

Well my sex bot that I keep in a rubbermaid container only has featureless tan lumps for breasts, so if liking that is wrong I don't want to be right :colbert:

Where does this photo come from, and are there any more?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

MilesK posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13309-Citizen-Gallery-Photo-Contest-Entries

That bunnyman photo is copyrighted material of Cloud Imperium Games Corporation & Roberts Space Industries Corp.

Boo, all the rest are boring or lame.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Ok

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Derek Smart right

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Still can't get over how none of these fools ever stopped to asked why cargo is being loaded manually in some ultra hi tech zippy space sci fi future.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Croberto has no vision. There's nothing in his wretched game that isn't a shabby knock-off of one or two sci-fi franchises from 40 years ago.

Edit: Also does the thread have any recommendation for a decent sci fi novel? My flag has always firmly been planted in the cyberpunk camp, so I'm used to near future corporate hellholes with bionic implants and underdog hacker scum popping speed and contemplating their ennui. Never really got into this deep space opera stuff.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2017

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

starkebn posted:

if you want space opera then Iain M Banks is somewhere to start

https://www.iain-banks.net/books/

I tried reading one of his years ago. A large portion of it was written phonetically from the viewpoint of some AI/android thing and it was just too mental for my feeble mind to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

I liked The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F Hamilton but you said you weren't looking for space opera. You will be triggered by the words 'Enzyme Bonded Concrete' after reading it. Start with Pandora's Star if interested.

No,no I'd quite like to give space opera a go. I'll look into Hamilton.