Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What good is a company that is so incredibly lovely at managing themselves that they can't even successfully predict what will happen in two weeks?

I mean that seems indescribably incompetent.

A company whose project managers should probably never be hired for project management again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

moveable shape posted:

Everybody stop talking about Star Marine or evocatti patch bullshit and start taking about how much loving money has been wasted producing this embarrassment. Where the gently caress did the money go? Where did it come from? Holy poo poo

I wonder how much of the money being spent on this train wreck is coming from ssi and other disability benefit programs.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Inkel posted:

Star Citizen cheaters face permaban with no refund (but CIG needs video evidence)

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-cheaters-face-permaban-with-no-refund-but-cig-needs-video-evidence/

Curious if they could really get away with the no refund since they haven't shipped a product yet. A cheater who has violated the tos vs a company violating laws regarding preorders.

I bet a cheater who got banned filing with the Dcba would get the typical we don't have to do this but we will in this case refund letter.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 9, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

how does lethality have like 4.5k followers yet his tweets usually only get 1 like or whatever? is it all you guys and a bunch of bots

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

can't figure out our schedule because a few people are on break is the new guy broke his wrists so we can't update

edit: if you were a project manager at cig would you add them to your resume? no because you'd never be hired again

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 13, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

cig hasn't done any of that either. And whether its crowdfunded or not, from a new studio or not is completely irrelevant to the question of whether its been done before.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

eh I think he's just a guy who got really lucky, whats the phrase about catching lightning in a bottle or whatever. Then more games got made as he sat around as creative consultant and bullshit and he thought he was a visionary genius.

It's like notch made minecraft and all that poo poo but he doesn't do anything now. But in 20 years if made a kickstarter for some game I bet he'll have a cult following too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

The thing is with Star Citizen in they are trying to do things no one else has ever done before. The scope and fidelity is unprecedented on this scale.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What is the name of the term for the thing we do where after buying something, we have to validate our purchase to others. Because we're obviously not idiots and since we bought a product, it must be good.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sunk cost fallacy.

nah, it's something else. I think it's Post-purchase rationalization but I think there's another more layman-ish term. I always heard it regarding people who bought new cars after they realized that as soon as they drove it off the lot the value dropped significantly.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

i guess I'm too old to understand why people contribute to peoples patreons. I just looked around at the explore and saw jim sterling is getting over 10k/mo off patreon.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Wiz posted:

To support people making things you enjoy...?

yeah I'll just watch their youtube vid that they pull a few k/mo in?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Wiz posted:

Youtube ad revenue is in a steep decline, and in the particular case you cited, Jim Sterling doesn't even monetize his videos. Is this some kind of 'I'm mad that people are making money by talking about video games' deal?

Even that aside, there's shitloads of worthwhile people you could support through Patreon that do not have youtube channels. There's lots of stupid Patreons too but scoffing at the whole concept just smacks of weird, misdirected jealousy.

Yes, you're right not everyone on patreon is a youtube creator. But you're the one projecting here, I just think it's weird.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

mike12345 posted:

it's a new of financing, that's all. it's weird but so is downloading movies, online shopping, social media, and everything else the internet brought along.

I think I find it weird because I think of paying for products? Make your video, write your book and here's some money. But patreon is more here's some money to just be? Something like that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That definition of concern troll vs what they're complaining about don't seem to match up.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

Some guy at work the other day was fired for stealing bottles of windex of all things. Work has been interesting lately. The guy tried stealing like a pallet of windex and was caught because it didn't fit in his hatchback, pro-tip, if you steal something, make sure you have a big enough vehicle to steal it with.

Is Windex the new Tide?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sept 2012, Obsidian kickstarts their Pillars of Eternity game. Oct 2012, mush mouth kickstarts his.

March, 2015, Obsidian releases Pillars to high reviews. 2 additional DLCs have since been released.

Today, Obsidian announced the sequel and opened its crowd-funding page. Estimated release is q1, 2018. Will they finish their second game before cig gets even a single ep of sq42 out?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Kosumo posted:

I too would like to her again why some of you brought into this for, in some cases, hundreds of dollars.

It was always Chris Roberts, he had been away from gaming for over a decade with his last project, Freelance, having a troubled development.

I was never in on this but did not care until it became apparent, at if I recall, about the $9 million mark that this was getting funded in a cult like fashion.

Here is a quote from me from another site, back in Dec, 2013.

But what if the game (SC) is a total snoozefest with lovely combat, a 'fake' economy and bits that are still 'works in progress'.

Roberts should have kickstarted Squad42 and finished it, then done another kickstarter for the Star Citizen after he had delivied on the first project. To me it looks like it's out of his control now, so many promise and faith based ship sales that I doubt everyone is gonna get what they want. (also totally open to taking many years to get done)

Just my 2cents (anyone got change for a dollar?)

I totally stand by that still and now feel smug. :smuggo:

I bought a $45 package in feb 2014 because the website said it was going to be released in the fall and I hadn't been following it at all to know better.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Subject:
Lesnick, Benjamin

Timeline of Events:
The patient was a 38 year old American male with no significant past medical history, save for a dire blood infection brought on by morbid obesity. Called EMS with shortness of breath and chest pain. Upon EMS arrival, patient was tachypneic at 40 breaths per minute with oxygen saturation of 90%. At the scene, EMS administered breathing treatments and checked lung sounds that did not reveal any evidence of fluid in the lung fields. EMS also reports patient was agitated upon their arrival at his residence, strapped to a virtual reality headset screaming: "IT'S REAL TO ME, DAMMIT!" Two minutes after arrival at UTMB at 1500, the patient became unresponsive, apneic, and had oxygen saturations from 80-90%. The patient’s heart rate decreased to asystole, was intubated with good breath sounds and air movement.

Patient then had wide complex bradycardia and ACLS protocol for pulseless electrical activity was followed for 45 minutes. The patient was administered TPA with no improvement. Bedside echocardiogram was unable to be performed, due to abnormal celluloid deposits. The patient was administered D5W, Narcan, and multiple rounds of epinephrine and atropine, calcium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate. The patient had three episodes of ventricular trachycardia/fibrillation with cardioversion/defibrillation resulting in asystole. The patient was pronounced dead at 1605 with fixed, dilated pupils, no heart sounds, no pulse and no spontaneous respirations save for one audible: "PAAAAAARP" just prior to death.

Autopsy Photos:

:eyepop:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

D_Smart posted:

That's one image from my old game room (from the old house back in 2008) which didn't even contain 5% of my full (it's all in a/c storage now) library. It's the only image I could find with Echelon (lower right) in it.

that's a pretty sweet collection of old games derek.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

With $175 you can pledge towards pillars 2 and its dlc, preorder the next mass effect, and buy a nice steak dinner at a real steak house.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

so is that lady model in the game now?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Virtual Captain posted:

Even if I was working at a game development shop, I would never feel comfortable using a WASD keyboard at work. Perhaps this helps explain CIGs glacial development pace.

lol didn't read a word of that. Guy is nuts.

That's pretty clearly a logitech keyboard, not a wasd.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am confused by this. How would the colored WASD keys change pace of development? Or are you thinking Qwerty Vs. Dvorak?

**edit** I use a keyboard with this exact setup and it blows people's minds at work. They always ask "How do you type on that!?" and I always want to say "I know how to type!"

My brother uses dvorak layout and I'm pretty sure he mostly does it so people won't want to use his laptop.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It was paid in advance

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best part is that if you gently caress it up you end up jamming the mechanism. Brilliant design philosophy there.

It looks like that missile turret can rotate, but it has to rotate back to a certain position to be reloaded. Are there real-life missile turrets with auto-reloaders? How do they load? Because the only other thing I can think of is a tank and there the whole cabin or whatever its called rotates with the barrel I think so it can be loaded regardless of where its pointed.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That's pretty cool, a lot faster than I would have imagined something like that could be.

Samizdata posted:

Also, on my Dad's ship, the USS Long Beach, they had a Talos launcher somewhat similar to that one, but the missiles loaded from a sloped glacis behind the dual articulated launcher (as seen here. I was young, and there was a Tiger Cruise. They had to work out the launcher frequently to offset corrosion issues so I would just stand there and watch. It was pretty awesome. In the pic I linked, you can see where they load from.

drat, never really thought about how big missiles are.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I know it was asked awhile back but did Ben "developer" lesnick ever explain what happened to the money he raised for that storage locker of wc poo poo?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

nawledgelambo posted:

since there was some questioning the validity of lesnick doing this during his "working" hours, here you go:

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if crobs was paying him to do this because you know, BDSME, religious figure, savior of PC Gaming, etc

I wonder what dlt drive he bought. I wonder how many of those dlts are gonna be messed up. I used to work in a prepress shop in the 90s and we backed up client projects to dlt, that was always a mess during retrieval. Eventually we moved to these giant cd's that were like 2 ft in diameter.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

how much are we paying this guy

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

that would be so cig to have their "PG button make planet" create 2 identical planets.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

does that dude have a job?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Where does Derek's accent come from?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So i was going through some old newsletters and one peaked my interest (The one that had research/lab equipment at the bottom)

This firstly got me thinking bout the role of a medic. In all honestly i feel like if its just inject a wounded player with a G-heal and they are all patched up it would be rather boring and pretty one dimensional.

Don't get me wrong I'm not asking for like doing surgery that'll take forever or something like that, No. The situations i envision go as follows. -You land on a planet with various wildlife, some species are harmless some are aggressive and some are venous or toxic. As your walking about a small venomous critter stings you ( Some might argue as to how through your space suit) for scenario's sake lets just say the stinger is powerful enough to puncher it. You characters vision starts getting blurring and they breathe heavily . their stamina is at an all time low and their response time is terrible. You space suit indicates that there's a toxin present .. you rush to your ship with your medic. (Now the following is what id like the medic to be able to do) you guys head to the medic bay ... the medic picks up an empty syringe (which are purchasable at stations and have to be restocked from time to time) draws your blood and inserts it into a scanner ... The scanner takes about 30seconds to identify the toxin .. the toxin is identified and the interface gives a list of known antidotes. Said antidotes to be manufactured require certain chemicals ... your medic checks the ships inventory and finds that they have just enough material to make the antidote. The scanner also shows how to make the antidote. The medic heads to the lab and now the process starts. He mixes Chemical A and B and puts it in the centrifuge (Now the centrifuge has a suggested time and rpm but if the medic has sufficient knowledge he can set it to his own liking to obtain a higher yield) once centrifuged Chemical C is formed ... Chemical C is mixed with chemical F then put in an oven for a period of time at a specific temperature then the antidote is formed .. the medic puts it in the scanner and its identified as the antidote. The medic injects the player and the player is alleviated of his symptoms (most known toxins are not fatal and the alternative would be to head to a station with medical facilities and pay an amount of credits then your all good) NB. I'll be splitting the scenarios up as to not make this any longer. The second scenarios is as follows (not necessarily about a medic) - You get a job stating that a collector wants a "Volox Stregent" (Lol literally just made that name up .. don't judge) now these creatures are found on a remote planet and is illegal to hunt or trade them. The collector is willing to to pay a small fortune for it but he wants it ALIVE. These creature are known to be fierce and relatively fast so you'll need a tranquilizer (A very specific tranquilizer that is rather hard to come by and costs a fair amount of credits for a single syringe) the collector offers the recipe to manufacture the tranquilizer yourself should you wish to. Now some of the ingredients for the tranq will require you to go to some lawless outposts/planets to buy them on the black market and others are easier to come by. The list is long but for that amount of credits your willing to tough it out. After some pirate blasting, UEE dodging and cargo hiding you finally have everything you need. You head to your lab(if you don't have one you can hire out someones else's) to start. (The process is rather tedious) You centrifuge, heat, vibrate, scan, purify, centrifuge again, test, vibrate once more then finally you put it in the scanner again and it identifies it as the tranq with 100% purity and it states that this tranq is banned under UEE law. After all the trial and error trying to make it you were able to produce 5 doses of the tranq meaning five shots. You head to the planet and after a while of moving slowly and hiding you finally spot the volvox ( your heart beating and mouth watering as you can taste all those credits) You load your tranqs into your riffle and aim(now the volvox requires at least 2 doses) you take a few shots and miss .. the volvox is on alert now.. you take two more shots again and finally they both hit it. Its falls to the ground and you drag it to your ship. You have one left over tranq .. either you keep it and risk getting busted with it or sell it on the black market and make some credits. With the volvox in your cargo hold you rush to the rendezvous point .. praying that the UEE doesn't spot you or get attacked by a bored pirate. You meet the collector and he pays what he promised and you're a very happy space dude ... You get to keep the recipe or sell it to an information broker which ever it is .. your pretty happy.

gently caress am I going to a medical degree to play this?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

aha, gremlich tries not to seem hateful. What's it look like when he is?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Do you have a Microsoft account in some form? I assume MS has been trying to tie data between the two since their purchase.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I read an article today about billboards and other physical locations emitting ultrasonic sounds that apps on your phone use the mic to hear and track you. Living in the future is cool.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

thatguy posted:

I let out a really good massive fart on the drive home today. We can only hope it was recorded.

you probably bought some stuff off amazon

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Spector is busy with ss3. Please don't taint him with the stench of failure that is the Roberts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

AP posted:

OLISTAR GRAVITY WHEEL FLYING AROUND

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Don't know

ACTUAL RESULT
A player was some how flying one of the rings of Port Olistar around like it was a ship.

EXPECTED RESULT
To stay as part of the space station.

http://i.imgur.com/mTZ8fzp.gifv

Haha. Buying back in now for this.