Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I got a sous vide thing for Christmas and tried it out on some steaks the other day but I got sidetracked by oven roasted green beans and we ate them all before I remembered to pull the steaks out and put a sear on them lol

e: the steaks ended up great

One of our favorite things to do with our Anova is cook a London broil for like 12 hours at 131F, give it a quick sear, cook some peppers and onions, warm up some tortillas, and boom, steak fajitas with less than 10 minutes of actual work. Just vacuum seal the meat the night before and throw it in the water bath before you leave for work.

The leftover meat is also fantastic next day for an easy steak salad with some greens, corn, black beans and peppers. Little chili lime dressing and you're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

stinch posted:

might just be laywer trolling. file before Christmas in a jurisdiction that counts weekends and holidays. the accused has to work on a response ruining there holiday. then make a trivial amendment giving them a extra two weeks.

While I do like that theory, isn't updating the charges to allege that the infringements were intentional a fairly big deal?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I am so confused right now. Are they trying to ninth-dimensional-chess their legal defense? :psyduck:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has noted how fitting it is that Crobber is going to be exiled from the gaming industry in the same way he was exiled from Hollywood.

He can go for the trifecta afterwards and get sued by car rental agencies!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Still, at best, Chris sends a lawyer to represent him, and/or StreetRoller gets a settlement check. Nothing interesting is going to happen in NJ small claims court.

Supposedly you can't have a lawyer represent you in NJ small claims court, so it's Chris or a default judgment.

He could bring Ortwin as a witness though!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hobold posted:

Thats Erin?! What the gently caress happened to him. He's turning into another Lesnick.

Stress eating is a real fucker.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Streetroller posted:

Would you guys appreciate a more thought out video presenting my entire case. The who, what, where, when?...

I'll even shave.

Don't bother giving the assholes more ammo and don't give away your case. You've done the research and you are confident in what you are doing, just let the justice system go with it.

Once the case has been heard by the court one way or another and is over, a video outlining your case, your experience with these personal attacks and anything you learned would be really cool. Until then, focus your energy on more productive ventures.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

My favorite recent subplot is the Shitizens attempting to poke holes in the legal strategy of the law firm that just won a $500M IP lawsuit over the Oculus Rift. Yeah, I'm sure you guys know better. Buy another five space-bikes.

But according to YouTube lawyer Leonard J. Crabs French, CIG's response was a slam dunk and Crytek has nothing!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

French is thinking there will be trial and discovery. Open the lolgates.

Skadden's basically flat out asking for it in their response, hard to imagine a judge doesn't agree at this point.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Watch CIG keep doin' what it's doin' regardless of this fact lmao. Seriously, you could shout this fact at Crobblers over and over and his hubris would still have him deny reality and go to SPACE COURT.

They posted a brand new Bugsmashers episode this week, despite the fact that the series has been explicitly called out in Skadden's filings for breach of confidentiality, so...

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

holy poo poo even the germans have turned

The real ELE

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So they're going to start work on one of the original 5 ships sometime in the later half of the year, and there is a distinct chance it won't be done until sometime in 2019.

I'd ask if backers were upset by this news but I already know the answer.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Funny you should mention. Just the other day I got much too high, and the next day I discovered that some fiend had hacked into my Steam account and purchased American Truck Simulator. Perhaps it was even YOU that did the deed, AbsoluteLlama!

Anyway, haven’t played it much, but I do find it strangely satisfying and almost therapeutic. That, plus that fact that the game plus six pieces of DLC cost fourteen bucks, and it’s an actual game that exists which you can play nets it four out of five Parps.

The Truck Sims are weirdly super relaxing. Most of my ETS2 time was when I was at a job with a super toxic workplace environment; I'd go trucking on Sunday evening to relax and destress before the new work week. They're worth having around just for that reason, and like you noted, they work and are inexpensive. Definitely a four parper.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Last night I unlocked Archwing missions in Warframe. It's basically a jetpack you strap your robot ninja into, complete with a chaingun and sword, and you rocket around space at high speed shooting and chopping up drones and ships. It's also significantly faster and more interesting than anything Star Citizen has ever produced.

Pretty sad when you think that a mission type that was patched into a F2P action game is better than anything SC is ever going to produce.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not sure they really checked the design on mobile.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Which reminds me the new monster hunter game should be out by now.

It is quite fun! You get to create a cat buddy with realistic enough meows to cause actual confusion and concern in real cats, then hunt monsters. Like the title implies. It's very entertaining and silly in a good way, unlike Star Citizen, which has rolled over from entertaining and silly to horribly sad and embarrassing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Boy, I can't wait for another exciting Leonard French video where he takes Ortwin's arguments at face value and reassures the backers that this will be dismissed.

Instead of the more likely scenario, where it will be pushed forward by a judge with reason to be irritated with the actions of the defendant and their council. That's always a good way to start things!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

look at how excited this dude is to be funding a drawn-out legal battle with his spaceship money.

You don't get the best drat spaceship game ever without owning jealous competitors in court, sir. It's an expected cost of game development; the waving-your-dick-around budget.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I really appreciate the titles given to the different backing tiers. It's like being able to self-select your level of mental illness in the DSM without needing professional diagnosis.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When you think about it, they just solved the B'tak problem.

Problem: Other players might do things to interfere with my safe space bubble without my permission!

Previous solution: Create a PvP slider and somehow solve for alllll the different ways in which different slider values have to interact.

New solution: If someone wants your ship, let them take it, give them 2 minutes to fly off into space somewhere, then quickly log out and back in. They're stuck in some rear end end of space without a ride, you get to respawn your ship and go about your day!

They're solving the big design questions here, folks.

Edit: OK, I see they mean that it's when the thief logs out. Still, the original owner isn't going to actually lose anything of value from the theft, so yeah, effectively they're bubble wrapping those pesky sharp edges of player interaction.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 28, 2018

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

The solution to this problem was identified by Erris earlier tonight. We need Chris answering more questions, inventing more gameplay by fiat. From his mouth flows a fountain of hope and when it dries, faith dies.

We need Chris, too.

Are you trying to give SomethingJones an aneurysm?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

Oh, snap...

Maybe if you're going to be answering questions for a hyper obsessed fanbase that literally has had nothing of consequence to do but theorycraft and slave over game design/features for 5 years, you should have actual knowledge of the subject instead of telling them "if that was a thing".

(I know the irony here of us knowing this poo poo, but we aren't in the position to have our very faith rocked by devs alluding to the fact that all that's behind the curtain is smoke and mirrors.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Looking at the filing from an unbiased and neutral standpoint, does CIG's response hold a candle; if at all?

It doesn't seem to conclusively answer all of Crytek's arguments and claims, so it is hard to see how CIG's motion to dismiss is granted. In that sense, it doesn't.

Then you get into more subjective matters of tone and clarity, and that's much more subject to our biases. Most of us hold that it is much more poorly written than the Skadden filing and unnecessarily aggressive, which might play well to the more zealous backers but is probably at best neutral and more probably actively harmful when the judge is actually reading and assessing the arguments on both sides.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RubberJohnny posted:

This piracy news has really upset some backers, I'm seeing account names who were always the aggressive defenders now attacking the project and calling it Pay2Win.

The lack of ship persistence being acknowledged and confirmed by CIG is one of the more damaging confessions that could happen. So much of Citizen theorycrafting and dreaming has been based around a wild west style universe where being a pirate is a viable option. Hell, CIG sold pirate themed jpegs.

It's also a cascading design problem; if the stolen ships don't persist, many other systems are limited or flat out worthless. CIG pulled a piece out of the Jenga tower fairly close to the bottom and suddenly it's much harder to ignore how wobbly it looks.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I love how this project is so far off the rails that Beet making a joke about ocean mocap is entirely within the realm of believably stupid poo poo that CIG might actually do.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to spending my gaming time in a space MRI getting treatment for space diseases and space wounds. Then I can file a space medical insurance claim and do space paperwork.

Also I will need to take space medicine with space food every so often.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I still think my all time favorite part of the Star Citizen thread experience was the day we first discovered AdzAdama and his artwork. God bless that lunatic.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

It's been nearly a week. They can't even provide damage control on time.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

In Monster Hunter World you can catch creatures with a wrist mounted netgun and let them loose in your house. I have a pink rabbit weasel and a bunch of goofy birds in my room.

Also everyone should buy MHW.

I have a hybrid peacock/pterodactyl thing chilling in my bedroom. He comes over for food and pets when I sit down. And yes, MHW is fantastic.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

So no one's going to tell him that 2012 to 2018 is 6 years?

Anthem was delayed to 2019

It's still a hilariously stupid argument to make given that Bioware has released multiple games over that timespan while ALSO developing Anthem, but hey.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As we get into another one of our many internal squabbling phases of the thread, let us not lose sight of the fact that Star Citizen Is Good.

https://clips.twitch.tv/LightCrispyPonyDancingBanana

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
G0RF, I appreciate how you just keep up the awesome effortposting while most of the thread just fixates on stupid internal slapfighting.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DarkDobe posted:

I made a thing...
AS REQUESTED

:gary:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate how absolutely everything about SC is a clusterfuck, not just the game itself. Horrid PR and community management? Inability to stay in compliance with the contract signed with your most important vendor? Plaintext passwords in your new website form submittals? A sketchy security certificate installed pointing to a website you don't even own?

It's a hilariously thorough web of top to bottom incompetence.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 5, 2018

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

This Week in Star Citizen is out.

A Moron posted:

Also on Friday, a judge in a California Courtroom decides whether or not Crytek’s lawsuit against us should proceed. Whether she rules yay or nay, epic online meltdowns are inbound — so don’t miss it! (You won’t be able to even if you try so might as well get your popcorn ready now. Don’t forget the salt!)

Just in case anyone still harbored doubt that their responses to Skadden were purely there to hype up the backers and try to get some spite pledges coming in...

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

I may have inserted that part to see if anybody read the weekly updates — you are the winner!

:argh:

It isn't Netflix or Hulu, but if you guys have access to Starz, go watch Counterpart. It's about espionage between parallel universes and stars J.K. Simmons. Awesome show.

Definitely want to watch Altered Carbon but we're finishing Outlander season 3 first.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: You Just Can't Fix Stupid

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

boviscopophobic posted:

There are some fun comments on random unrelated Crytek Facebook posts.

COMPETENT game makers
Also, CIG's money is either entirely CIG's money or entirely whales' money depending on whichever must be true at the moment in order to make some stupid point.

I am glad Crytek is going to take these people's money

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bitcoin, like Star Citizen, has now demonstrated that it will never be successful at doing what it originally promised. They are now both schemes that take people's money and output high grade schadenfreude instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

That is the dumbest goddamn thing I have read all week and I've been following both Star Citizen AND Bitcoin while reading the old Zaurg threads.