Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Gravity_Storm posted:

Ahahaha and the circle is complete. New engine. Welcome to the Daikatana / DNF club.
Remember with Daikatana they "upgraded" from Quake 1 to Quake 2 expecting it to simply be an optimized engine, but found out it was a completely different beast and lost a year or so having to rework all of the assets to get it running.

And from what I can read Lumberyard is Cryengine 3.8 without a few additional things like Scaleform. SC is using Cryengine 3 so it's trivial to simply open up a map and spit out some pretty pictures.

However any source alterations will have to be redone. And given the engine is pretty much the same as it was it hasn't actually solved any deeper issues beyond potentially cutting down on running server costs. It's like replacing a defective car with one that's exactly the same, but with the hopes that the issues only occur less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

LOL my friend's defense is "any engine can be shaped into a game, we did it with Vega Strike...I know because I worked on it and understand game development".

Keep in mind he didn't actually program anything major, that was done by a whole bunch of other people in a project that got abandoned ten years ago. But according to him it just needs some love to magically upgrade it into the latest OpenGL and they'll have everything Star Citizen has and more!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

There's some inspired thinking in their lunacy in changing horses midstream without too much hassle, however it's quite revealing of the dire straits they're in.

I think Star Citizen is based off Cryengine 3.6 and it might have had an update into 3.7 at some point while slowly turning into "StarEngine". Having Crytek devs on hand might have helped but you can't magically turn a one trick pony into a showhorse, even if you have access to the source code. But "his will be done" and StarEngine today is a horrid mash of hacks, forgotten code and things leftover by programmers go by leading to errors no one knows why occur.

It's also telling that they're not actually moving up into Lumberyard 3.8 as that means removing everything they did on StarEngine and getting entangled with Amazon's new T&C's, which possibly only comes into play with 3.8 and onwards. They would also have to start from scratch as a merge would break everything so they're forced to stay where they are.

So the only "clever" thing they've done is had their cake and eat it (at the cost of there being no more cake to eat) and they're in the same spot as they were just before.
They are stuck on an engine that is outdated by four years and has a reputation for being woefully unoptimised unless you buy it outright and work it to bits like the Dunia engine has become.

in 2011 CIG/RSI was on a lean budget at inception and Crytek was desperate for takers so it's been an unholy union of co-dependency which has only been severed by Amazon doing a mercy sale to keep the dead horse of Crytek alive for a few more months.

CIS/RSI could have had at some point brought they way out into a new engine, but blew any cash they had on mo-cap studios and other frivolities as they genuinely expected 2011 - 2014 to be a viable timeline with whatever their coked up budget estimates were formulated back in the gold rush. Persisting with Cryengine was the only way forward as it was fiscally viable and "worked".

I suspect the DirectX 12 announcements might have been an attempt to foreshadow a move into Cryengine 5. I suppose logistically it could have been "cheaper" with the "pay what you want model", but under the hood the engine was a completely different beast and would have meant starting nearly completely from scratch.
Or they've looked at CE5 and hoped to backport key features into the older code.

Bottom line is they are unbelievably forked. And they know it as everything since the release of Arena Commander and the Hangar Module has been a smoke and mirrors as they are unable to pull off a sliver of their expectations with a tool that was only ever meant to be for wandering around landscapes.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

If shes guilty of some kind of crime or fraud whatever then the way to get justice is report her to the authorities or take her to court or something.
She's not doing anything illegal, unless at the time it was not in accordance to her visa obligations.

It's hilarious as it brutally undercuts her attempt to portray herself as this savvy business woman who's got two MBA's and is a marine biologist. All the while trotting out to the press grand tales of taking charge at clubs or events where her marketing skills saved the night or developed some shoes.

The sad reality is she's a vain narcissistic snowflake who dreams of making it big in Hollywood as an actress and/or model. Sandi's sort of fortuitous to have found a niche where she can pretend she's a Hollywood something via Chris.

She got where she is not out of actual talent but pure desperation.
Her resumes pretty much scream "please give me something other than a shoot in a clothing magazine" and any casting agent worth their salt knows to pass over a candidate with a bunch of suspect unaccredited extras roles and padded with workshops. The work she has out there suggests she's not capable of applying herself to a role in any convincing fashion. However Sandi ignores this and expects this all to just change overnight and someone offers her a big break.

Apparently this is to come via her Star Citizen "connections" giving her a role alongside Gillian Anderson and Gary Oldman where the magic of acting will rub off and the casting genie will appear with a role that "her friend Gary" suggested she'd be good in.

And this isn't just Sandi, mind you, it's pretty endemic of thousands of wannabe's who just don't cut it. Many others simply glorify being an extra on a set and brag about the selfie with some lead at the wrap party as evidence of their "success" and they too hope that the adage of "who you know" will allow them to jump up the ladder.

The slightly more canny failures usually form their own casting agencies where they patronize their client base through passive-agressive blogs that mock the frustrations of people who have signed up for them and get no work. Or they go the whole hog and operate as skimmers, working as middlemen and extorting extra fees via dodgy talent competitions and endless casting workshops.

I wish I saved that .gif of her from something she did of her covering someone's eyes then slamming a laptop shut as it's the perfect thing to cut to with the tickle vid.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

What was that picture of that ship's cockpit that the "fidelity" button or whatever removed?

Part of that seemed oddly familiar and looked like they had been archered off these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

The Titanic posted:

If there is no poster, there is no sale. Now this isn't to say this will happen 100% of the time, but if you come up with a 0% boasting sperg to 15k purchase ratio, your $15k purchase is as real and factual as Star Citizen motion capture being completed.
Wasn't the theory floated that they're just pushing their own money into the meter?