Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Waiting for a few more shows to finish/hit their mid season breaks before I write up my list but this has been a drat good TV year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

There's a whole month left to turn these in so I hope people will take the time to also push for lesser known shows they think people should watch for the sake of their lists. I'll have a for your consideration post up in a few days about one particular show I imagine next to no one in TVIV has watched, but definitely should.(It's not PoI lets not run the meme into the ground.)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So 2016 has been kind of an amazing year for TV, this goes for basically every subsection of it, be it cartoons, live action, prestige, network and probably most shockingly of all, TV's ugly redheaded stepchild, Anime. There's been overwhelming amount of extremely quality shows out of Japan this year spanning the range from extremely thoughtful shows about LGBT sexual awakening, ambitious historical dramas, clever spins on your typical action/superhero shows, there's something quality out there for pretty much everyone.

At the risk of becoming Senerio, though, I'm only putting one obscure Japanese thing on my list this year, and it's something I think more people should watch. It's only 12 20 minute episodes long and it's easily view-able for free on CrunchyRoll so there's plenty of time to binge it before the deadline. It's also, in my opinion, perfectly suited to the type of people who turn their nose at anime and call it the worst thing ever.

Without further ado, let's talk about the comedy-action masterpiece, Mob Psycho 100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vnTP41LchI

MP100 is the brainchild of ONE, creator of One Punch Man, which is another series I know a lot of anime haters love. OPM is very good and you should watch it if you haven't, but it's comedy style is different enough from Mob that I won't directly compare the two, I'm just stating this fact so people who liked OPM's ears will perk up.

The series is about a con artist named Reigen claiming to be the world's greatest psychic who, through his claims, becomes the mentor and friend of the world's actual greatest psychic, a middle schooler named Mob. Mob is essentially the most powerful being in the world, but would rather improve literally any other facet of himself than his powers because he's a boring anemic kid who nobody likes and has no luck with girls. The series is an amazing deconstruction of tropes, the idea of power fantasies, super villains, and a lot of things that have been frankly suffocating both eastern and western media the past few years. While it stands as a response to most big anime tropes people hate, it also feels like a response to the overwhelming abundance of super hero media in general.

It's also extremely funny, it constantly surprises you and always zigs when you think it's about to zag. The characters are well written, relate-able and hilarious. Any kind of "typical highschool/college/adult angst" the show tries to throw at you is immediately undercut and made funnier by the fact that the vast majority of the cast is in middle school. All of this is topped off by the fact that this is probably the best animated show I've seen in years, it's quite frankly breathtaking during it's action scenes.

So that was a bit of a ramble, but I really hope it at least made some of you wanna give the show a try, it's super good, and I think a lot of you would enjoy it if you gave it a shot.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Jerusalem posted:

As you say, I am indifferent to most anime but really dug One Punch Man's wonderful comedy, so if it is by the same guy I'll definitely check it out.

You're in for a treat. Reigen is easily the best character that author has written.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Luke Cage isn't on my list but Stranger things definitely is.

(Ari, I almost put DiU on my list but I realized having two anime on my list would be a bit much)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Arist posted:

I'm still debating putting DiU on there

if we both do it itll be less weird!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

IRQ posted:

The only reason it won't be on my list is I'm still in season 1 (unless it got real bad in season 2?).

It's Real Good, the people hyping it were right.

S2 is real good. It's my number 2 pick with a bullet.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rarity posted:

Big thanks to the guy who listed 3%, this show is completely my jam and I'm holding off on posting my list just to give it a shot at breaking into my top 10.

Hurry up and post your list so I can start making jokes about how terrible you are

You already know what my number 1 pick will be so just go hog wild.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Now that's out of the way, I need to watch Westworld still before I can finalize my list, but I'm swamped with work up until and including Christmas so I'll be submitting mine pretty close to the deadline.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just a heads up thats Diamond IS Unbreakable, not are.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

10. Galavant
Tad Cooper forever. One final season would have been perfect but this show still went out with a bang after a thoroughly average first season.

9. Vice Principals
Hilarious takedown of toxic masculinity with Walton Goggins putting a career best comedic performance. On the edge of my seat for whatever s2 will have in store.

8. You're the Worst
Over all a less a consistent season, but probably has the single best episode of TV I've seen this year with one of the most gut wrenching portrayals of ptsd on tv.

7. Stranger Things
This show is all the movies, shows and books I liked as a kid combined, it just hit all of my buttons in a really great way and I loved it start to finish.

6. The Good Place
This is definitely the successor to Parks that I hoped B99 would be(though B99 still rules.) It's just excellent feelgood comedy mixed in with a dose of really cool and fascinating mythology. It's a shame we got so few episodes this year or this would be higher.

5. Mob Psycho 100
I already went on a long tangent about why this show rules, watch it.

4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable.
The manga that inspired Persona, and the part of it that inspired Persona 4 are finally animated! An awesome, funny action show about a group of super powered street punks who try to hunt down a serial killer that's been plaguing their town for 15 years. There's 3 others seasons of catchup to get to this part, which is why I didn't effort post about it. This show is extremely good though and has one of the best villains out there.

3. WestWorld
drat good TV, and a solid foundation for later seasons to build upon now that we have that big reveal out of the way. Boy though, it sure it gonna be a long wait to 2018.

2.Crazy Ex Girlfriend.
This show is extremely special and good and important and everyone watch it. Season 2 may be lower budget, and Greg leaving sucks, but it's still got just as much heart and creatvity as it did last year and has set up some truly compelling stuff for when we come back from the mid season break.

1. Person of Interest
Please refer to the last 5 years of my posting history. Number one with a bullet one last time.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 26, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I continue to be shocked whenever someone that isn't me has DiU on their list.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sober posted:

drat nice that people are watching 19-2 still. I don't have the constitution or time to marathon it to see if it will place (it did last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did). I have all the episodes hoarded and haven't gotten around to them. Hopefully I will get around to it within the first half of the year.

SOBER JUST POST YOUR LIST ALREADY.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

My work here is almost done.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I would like to frame that "Occ is wrong" quote and mount it above my fireplace.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

On the edge of my seat.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

God just like last year I'm on pins and fuckin needles for the top 5.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Arist posted:

Stranger Things is this year's Jessica Jones, except this time the show is bad

Ari being mad about stranger things is the new occ being mad about Jessica Jones. It's just as satisfyingly hilarious..

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The end of Mr Robot S1 put me off the series entirely.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hello everyone who put Westworld on their list but not Person of Interest. Did you know Person of Interest was made by the same show runner? Did you know that after spending it's first season and a half worldbuilding, it dives into themes of AI, sentience and free will just as hard as WW did? It also delves into a bunch of other cool themes while pushing a pro feminist, pro lgbt, anti surveillance state message and it's pretty much my favorite show ever made.

The entire thing is on netflix and if you liked Westworld I implore you to push through(not skip) that rough start to get to one of the most thought provoking, well produced and well paced sci fi action thrillers ever made.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Escobarbarian posted:

Please not Stranger Things at 1 please please please

It'll prob be westworld.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh god now I WANT stranger things to win.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

He stops being the lead after season 2, so.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just get to ep 7, if nothing grabs you after that It's ok to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

he can watch both theres not much of atlanta to watch!!!

• Locked thread