Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Jessica Jones for all ten slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

It is, a joke

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Don't get me wrong, it's still my favorite show from last year, but enough about JJ.

This one's gonna be hard. I'm not totally sure I've enjoyed ten shows this year. Can I just cast votes against Stranger Things?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Oh gently caress, just compiled my list and I'm up to 18 shows, including BrainDead (add that to the "forgot about" list), Atlanta, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, The Get Down, Silicon Valley, and Mr. Robot, all of which I need to finish the latest seasons of. I'm not gonna have mine done for a while.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

No, no, it's the best shows of the year.

Oh poo poo, sorry, I had Luke Cage on there by mistake, thanks for the save

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I keep remembering shows I forgot about godddammit, this list keeps ballooning

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Luke Cage gonna be this year's JJ? God I hope not

It absolutely will not be, I don't think it has a solid enough thematic core to make up for its even worse sense of plotting and from what I've seen most people seem to agree. I don't see it making the top 10, but I'm wrong about everything all the time so gently caress me I guess.

Honestly it's one of the only shows I watched this year (along with Stranger Things) I immediately realized was not in consideration for my list.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Zaggitz posted:

Luke Cage isn't on my list but Stranger things definitely is.

(Ari, I almost put DiU on my list but I realized having two anime on my list would be a bit much)

I'm still debating putting DiU on there

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Junpei Hyde posted:

You can put anime on your lists without it being this weird thing.

Zaggitz posted:

if we both do it itll be less weird!

It's not that I think it'll be weird, it's just that I have 20+ other shows on my list.

But, it's up there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I get Stranger Things, I just also don't like it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Those first six episodes actually have a lot of the same problems just in less obvious forms.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Also, er, that's not ten shows and you ranked them in the wrong order

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I never managed to watch most of Silicon Valley or Mr. Robot this year so those are probably the most glaring absences, but here are my honorable mentions:

20. Agent Carter
19. Daredevil
18. People of Earth
17. Search Party
16. BrainDead
15. The Detour
14. Marvelís Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
13. Steven Universe
12. Preacher
11. Person of Interest

Iím really mad that Preacher and Person of Interest didnít make it onto this list.

10. iZombie, because Occ is wrong

This isnít just ďa fun hang-out show.Ē Itís consistently one of the best-plotted shows I follow, with some of the best characters on TV to match, and itíd be even higher if there wasnít a passable procedural stapled to it. 2017ís gonna suck because weíre not getting this show back until April.

9. Westworld, for actually managing to win me back with a stellar finale

Nine episodes into Westworld, I was getting pretty frustrated. It was a lot of moving pieces around and too much mystery with not enough payoff. I could follow the story as much as the show wanted me to, but no further, and trying to parse why any of it was occurring swiftly turned into a nightmare. Thankfully, the finale answered most of my questions. Most, anyway. Even better, those answers gave much-needed context to a show that was sorely lacking in it before. Westworld is a dense show, and while I havenít entirely forgiven it for its lack of payoff when it needed it, I have a feeling that itís going to be a very rewarding show to rewatch.

8. The Good Place, for being fresh, exciting, and having real character growth

The Good Place isnít just great, itís wildly original in a way I find sorely lacking from most networks. But itís on this list because I never know what crazy revelation will shake up the story in the next episode, and because it manages the rare feat of a protagonist who grows and changes. Jason Mendoza is also in the running for Sitcom Character of the Year, edged out by someone from a different show on this list.

7. JoJoís Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, for being exactly the kind of non-stop lunacy I needed in this hosed year

The fourth and best part of the ongoing saga of the Joestar family was honestly something to behold. Crazy fights, insane powers, and a great JoJo make this a cut above the rest of this amazing, insane series. Crazy Diamond is a fantastic Stand and Iím gonna miss Josuke, Okuyasu, and the rest of the Duwang Gang.

6. Better Call Saul, for the best plotting on television

This show is great. I donít love it as much as some of these other shows, but itís incredible what some of the most talented writers working today can do to make every scene as tense as possible even when the direct stakes are so much lower than they are in Breaking Bad. The ending of Season 2 made me so afraid that I kind of donít even want to watch Season 3.

5. O.J.: Made in America, for some much-needed context

If People vs. O.J. was the one I went to for dramatizing the events, Made in America is the one that put them into pure historical context. The entire first episode and then some are reserved for events pre-murder, showing just how important this character was overall in America, and helped me understand American Crime Story just a little bit better. Itís also just a captivating documentary overall.

4. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, for the most ďNo no no please NOĒ per capita

Thank god for Netflix or Iíd never have caught up with this fantastic show. Itís weird, itís hilarious, and in some ways, itís a successor to Breaking Bad in how tense the protagonistís mistakes make me.

3. The Get Down, for sheer, unbridled emotion

Two weeks ago I had watched two episodes of this and was convinced it would end up like eighth on this list. Then I watched the rest, and holy gently caress. I won't kid around: this show is kind of a mess. But it's a beautiful mess. The kind of mess that fills you to your core with its enthusiastic spirit, the raw emotion of its characters, and love of its subject. I can't think of a show nearly as passionate as this one. I loved The Get Down.

2. Atlanta, because the price is on the can, though

God, what a weird show this is. Donald Glover has created an incredibly strange and colorful world in Atlanta unlike anything I've seen before. It's full of jokes so great and creative Iím tempted to list them all but I don't want to spoil any of them. The bizarre reality of Atlanta feels real and lived-in not despite the weird men on buses asking you to bite their sandwiches, but because of them. Even in this absurdist universe, there's a bizarre authenticity I can't explain. I've never been to Atlanta, but I'm still sold completely on this image of it.

Bryan Tyree Henry and Lakeith Stanfield are both fantastic in this, as well. Alfred is a complex, fascinating character, and what is there possibly left to say about how great Darius is?

1. American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, for sheer ĒWhat the gently caressĒ factor

I knew what this one would be from the start. In the fading moments of last year, my father told me about the promo for this show he saw while watching Fargo, a show I myself had compelled him to watch, and insisted I watch the first episode with him when I got a chance. Iíd never cared much about this case, and had picked up what little I knew about it through general osmosis, because most of it, including the famous Bronco chase, transpired mere weeks after I was born.

My dad came away liking it. I loved it, because as someone who was unfamiliar with this case, what the gently caress. I know it embellishes and exaggerates certain moments, and Iím fine with that, because the tone of the whole thing, the general sense of insanity at every development, is incredible to witness. I loved all of it: the melodrama, the weirdness, the on-the-nose references to the future of the Kardashian clan. Parts of it are so goofy, but itís the right kind of goofy, the kind of goofy that heightens the core emotion of the piece instead of stifling it.

And when it hits, does it ever. It contains what might be the best TV episode of the year in ďMarcia, Marcia, Marcia,Ē and my two favorite performances of the year in Sterling K. Brown and Courtney B. Vanceís Chris Darden and Johnnie Cochran. I even loved the weird performances, like Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. and whatever the gently caress John Travolta was doing in an attempt to capture Robert Shapiro. No other show on this list has gotten me to shout ďAre you for loving real?Ē at my television, and I mean that as the highest praise.

Best Sitcom Character: Is Atlanta technically a sitcom? Whatever, itís Darius.

Best TV Episode: ĒMarcia, Marcia, Marcia,Ē American Crime Story

Best Performance: Sterling K. Brown as Chris Darden, American Crime Story

Best Stand Battle: Highway Star

Show I finally dropped this year: Shameless

Best Musical Sequence: Tie, every single musical sequence in The Get Down

Shows I debated the most in regards to placement: Atlanta vs. The Get Down

Show I just don't understand the love for, you people are crazy: Stranger Things

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I'm loving angry Stranger Things got into the top 10 and American Crime Story didn't.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Stranger Things is this year's Jessica Jones, except this time the show is bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I don't even dislike Stranger Things that much the show just baffles me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Luvcow posted:

I'm sorry your so bitter but no one else is making GBS threads on the shows you liked

THEY DID LAST YEAR

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Also I consider American Crime Story getting #15 to be making GBS threads on that show

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

As I recall Mr. Robot Season 1 was compelling but also offputting enough that it didn't break my top 10. Been meaning to get to most of Season 2, only seen the first episode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I'm not happy with any of these options for #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Oh NOOO

• Locked thread