Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Waiting until more stuff has finished airing too. Especially Westworld and CXG. Digging these lists so far, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A lot of them these days are ones that screened at festivals and then Netflix picked them up, like Fundamentals of Caring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

As Mozart in the Jungle season 2 premiered after the due date last year, on Dec 30th, but season 3 premiered two days ago, can both be counted as part of a placement?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is Luke Cage gonna be this year's JJ? God I hope not

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cause it wasn't that fantastic or memorable outside of the final two eps imo. It's like, 42 on my full list.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

For the sake of narcissism, here's my 40-11:

40. Silicon Valley
39. Superstore
38. Vice Principals
37. Queen Sugar
36. Stranger Things
35. Black Mirror
34. BrainDead
33. Divorce
32. Fleabag
31. The Young Pope
30. Togetherness
29. Baskets
28. Steven Universe
27. Halt and Catch Fire
26. The Eric Andre Show
25. Mozart in the Jungle
24. Love
23. Peaky Blinders
22. Easy
21. Game of Thrones
20. Veep
19. Girls
18. The Get Down
17. BoJack Horseman
16. Transparent
15. The Good Place
14. One Mississippi
13. Better Call Saul
12. Adventure Time
11. Rectify

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

10. High Maintenence
This show is pretty much the definition of “my poo poo”. I just absolutely love the tone. Almost all of the stories are masterful slices of life that never feel dramatised or ridiculous. A substantial step up from even the best of the web series. And it’s gorgeously-shot too.

09. Mr. Robot
This may not have been the season I or anybody else wanted, but while I’m still miffed about what didn’t happen, what did happen was still fantastic. The unsettling tone only became more effective, and it had some of the greatest character work of the year. Hopefully next season can speed up the story a lil more.

08. Lady Dynamite
Like Arrested Development having a manic episode, this show detailed Maria Bamford’s history of mental illness with stark realism while simultaneously being absurdist and bizarre and hilarious. Mixed some of the darkest humour of the year under a giddy, smiling mask - that goddamn Mexico episode holy hell

07. You’re the Worst
While the season had some structural issues, causing characters to feel like they turn on a dime, it also provided some of the best single television episodes of the year, and completely nailed the ending. The humour felt like it was getting tame towards the end of season 2, but this season remembered how lovely everyone is meant to be and added the venom back, and it was possibly the funniest season yet.

06. Better Things
Started off as “girl Louie” for sure, but only took a couple of episodes to become perhaps the strongest depiction of motherhood ever seen in a visual medium. The more chaotic scenes are pitch-perfect, and get you into Adlon’s head extremely well, while the slower scenes are extremely painful and true. The entire cast are supremely talented. This show will make you wish Pamela Adlon was your mom.

05. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
An impeccable blend of sharp scripting, feminist satire, and some of the catchiest, funniest songs you’ll hear all year. The songwriters can seemingly pull off any genre or style with aplomb, while the storylines only get better, causing a show almost designed to stay stuck in one place forever to have genuine, heartfelt development for every character. GREG THOUGH

04. American Crime Story: The People v. O. J. Simpson
Managed to be smart, thoughtful, and empathetic without ever having to give an inch with regards to being fun and entertaining as all hell. There’s at least three or four performances here that could rank among the best of the year, with Paulsen and Brown the standouts. Although dramatised, it was still a valuable education tool on the specifics of the trial and how it gave way to so much of the current media culture.

03. Westworld
This first season was far from perfect, with needless obfuscation causing many storylines to become frustrating. And the internet totally ruined it by figuring it all out after episode 2 and spreading these theories everywhere. But when it was good, it was in the running for best science fiction show of all time, raising so many interesting questions on the nature of consciousness and how memory and such would work for a programmed brain without human imperfections. Incredible performances, exciting action scenes, and A+ production design and cinematography didn’t hurt either. Season 2 has all the potential to be the greatest poo poo ever.

02. Atlanta
A fantastic blend of hangout show, surreal drama, absurdist comedy, and ‘issues’ television that could only have come from Glover’s brain. One of the best examples of TV as anthropology, taking the audience into a place most of us would usually never see and giving us an understanding of what it means to be in the shoes of the characters. Glover does an excellent job as the straight man, while the two other leads, Alfred and Darius, are two of the best new characters of the year, with Brian Tyree Henry especially giving a brilliant performance as Alfred. And Glover’s claim to want to avoid “clapter” comes through in spades; this is very possibly the funniest comedy-drama of the past few years. Well except for….

01. Horace and Pete
This is, and will forever be, one of the best, most exciting experiences I’ve had watching a show. This is a show I’ll still be bugging people about in 20 years, like I’ve bugged TVIV about so many times this year. This is the best 31 bucks I ever spent. It’s one of the most unique shows in forever, taking from TV’s golden age to create something new and exciting. It’s David Lynch’s bar multicam, it’s the best blend of gut-busting comedy and brutal, despair-inducing tragedy of all time, it’s another show that takes inspiration from so much but could only have come from the brain of its creator. Not knowing anything about what was coming every week made every episode a genuinely special event, and I firmly believe Alan Alda’s Uncle Pete is the best comic creation of this decade so far. This was the best cast of any show this year. This was messy, never quite managing to seamlessly blend the serialised element with “news of the week” talk, having some characters’ arcs end disappointingly, and being slightly preachy at times. But this was also the funniest, saddest, weirdest, most blindingly ambitious show I’ve seen this year, and it could very possibly go down at Louis CK’s masterpiece. Never before has my #1 been such an easy pick. No comedy tickled my funny bone more, and no drama hit my heart harder. I just…..I loving love it so much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

^^^ I love this post

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It's fine and fun but yeah it wouldn't have the love it does were it not for people loving loving the 80s for some reason.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I don't care if my choices are counted or not. I just wanted to list the ten shows I enjoyed the most.

b-but this is the entire point of the thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

To discover my 6th favourite show of the year, you must answer these questions three

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I don't even dislike Stranger Things that much the show just baffles me

People go apeshit for the 80s, it's really simple

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Please not Stranger Things at 1 please please please

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yay! Thanks for your hard work, Rarity!

I think I prefer this list to last year's overall, especially with the superhero drops. Congratulations on having mildly better taste, goons!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

BEST WHATEVER THE HELL THIS THING IS, I DON'T EVEN KNOW [/b]

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I guess I know my requisite one top 10 show that slipped under my radar that I have to check out

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I've heard nothing but praise for Atlanta, I gotta check it out.

this whole comment chain makes me weep btw. fuckin watch Atlanta everybody

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I can't believe how poorly Man in the High Castle did. I think it's amazing.

Didn't the only episodes to air this year drop super late?

I watched a bunch of PoI. It was fine, but it was also a network drama, with everything that entails, so I decided not to watch it. Some people just don't like how networks do TV drama, and that's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

no he SAID HE'S WATCHING ATLANTA INSTEAD ZAGGITZ

• Locked thread