Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champ come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Mighty Mouse 26 83.87%
Meth Man 5 16.13%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

From the people who brought you smash flash-game hits “Elf Bowling” and “Elf Bowling 2: This Time It’s a Trojan” comes the The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of Champions Finale, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Dec. 3, on Fox Sports 1.

Happy holiday season, everyone! It’s that festive time of year again, where we all get together and try extra hard not to be assholes for a few weeks for fear of not receiving a new Gameboy or having to watch a Gleison Tibau fight. After all, Uncle Dana is watching you, making sure you’re not supporting the a Bjorn Rebney-led MMA unionizationassociation attempt, but he can’t be everywhere. After all, there’s a lot of cocaine to snort off of bibles carved into the shape of a gun. That’s why he’s taking a cue from Santa and putting elves on the shelf — or in this case, several flyweights on a card — to make sure all the good little boys and girls are tuning in to Fox Sports 1 to learn all about how they can buy Reebok and Bud Light products for their loved ones this

:siren: For the Flyweight Title :siren:

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson
How to stay off his Naughty List: Make sure you’re not using any rom hacks on your Twitch stream

vs.

Tim “Why Is There an MMA Gym in Lee’s Summit, Missouri” Elliott
How to stay off his Naughty List: Remember the Titans

Mighty Mouse is extremely good, so much to the point that the guy he is fighting just won a tournament to arguably suggest he is better than every other flyweight champion of a somewhat reputable promotion in the world, and no one believes that guy has better than a puncher’s chance to get this done. Mighty Mouse hasn’t lost an MMA fight since his 2011 bout with bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz, at which point he still managed a fairly competitive fight with a much larger fighter while still only training part-time so he could support himself. He’s been a demon since going to Matt Hume’s full time. Johnson is arguably the fastest fighter on the roster and has preposterously great wrestling, as well as good hands and submissions. The UFC’s first and only flyweight champion, Mighty Mouse is going into this bout two fights away from tying Anderson Silva’s record for most successful title defenses, which will look awfully nice in his record book next to “first and third latest submissions in the UFC.” Elliott would be another feather in his cap, and should prove to be another exciting fight.

Tim Elliott was actually bounced from the UFC after amassing a lackluster 2-4 record in the flyweight division, so a lot of people felt he wasn’t particularly good given how the division is somewhat talent-thin and top-loaded. However, most of his losses are in that top range, to John Dodson, Ali Bagautinov, Joseph Benavidez and Zach Makovsky. He also went on to earn the Titan FC belt and is on a solid four-fight streak, and did pretty well for himself on TUF as well — although by his own admission, he was gifted a decision win at one point. At any rate, Elliott is going to try to make it a scrap, and it’s very unlikely that it will work for him. Feel free to emptyquote this paragraph for a dozen pages when he Holly Holm’s Mighty Mouse.

:siren: For the Second Best Flyweight in the World Now That Dodson’s a Bantamweight Again :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1jbNpi44Kk
Joseph Benavidez
How to stay off his Naughty List: Watch Road House at least three times this year, preferably on DVD so the best lines aren’t edited out and you can see Kelly Lynch’s cans

vs.

Henry Cejudo
How to stay off his Naughty List: Chew with your mouth closed and act like a positive role model for the young Mexican Americans

So far, Joe B. has proven that nobody but the champ has had a realistic shot at beating him. He tapped the current title contender with his signature guillotine before coaching him to victory on TUF, and has made it very clear that he does not like his opponent tonight, openly declaring that he used to gently caress guys like him in high school. Benavidez’ recovery from drug addiction, nipple piercing and stated willingness to get back in the cage with Mighty Mouse after getting knocked the gently caress out lunging forward with his eyes closed proves that he has the same mantra as the coolest cooler around: pain don’t hurt.

Henry Cejudo was an Olympic gold medalist in wrestling, and he was undefeated in MMA until he got worked over in the clinch by Demetrious “I used to wrestle guys like you in high school” Johnson. That fight really drove home how great Mighty Mouse’s wrestling is in MMA, because Cejudo’s is clearly very good as well. He’s hoping a win over a top 3 fighter like Benavidez will give his career the resurgence it needs to get back in the title picture sooner rather than later, although unless Elliott does the unthinkable tonight, I am not sure why he would ever want to after that fight. Cejudo has also famously struggled with weight, outright refusing to make the agreed-upon weight class multiple times due to not liking the cutting process. This ,lead to his UFC debut being at bantamweight, so it’s possible he could go the Lineker route and snack his way up in weight to make a run for Dominick Cruz.

Welterweight

Jake Ellenberger
How to stay off his Naughty List: Get out and vote early in the California primaries

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMhf2eUlEeE
Jorge Masvidal
How to stay off his Naughty List: Remember those who are no longer with us. We miss you, Kimbo.

Jake Ellenberger has had a pretty rough go of it lately, although I guess that’s to be suspected when a fighter says “Hey, I’m a pretty natural talent with a lot of knockout power but I haven’t quite been able to break ahead of the pack and earn a title shot, I think I will make some changes in my camp and put my career in Edmond Tarverdyan’s hands.” After murdering Nate Marquardt in 2013, he went on a shockingly tragic 1-5 skid, picking up his lone win in nearly three years by choking out the ghost of Josh Koscheck. That said three of his five losses were to future title holders or challengers, so it doesn’t seem that bad in hindsight. Fortunately, he’s made some more changes and gotten the hell out of Ronda Rousey’s Hell Circus, and came back in dramatic fashion with a body kick TKO over Matt “What’s A Liver?” Brown. He hopes to get his first winning streak in years tonight.

While I can’t decide whether or not Jake Ellenberger is good again, I can’t decide whether Masvidal was ever good in the first place. Over the past few years, the former Kimbo Slice Backyard Brawler has had a really close, competitive fight with pre-Bellator Ben Henderson and got a performance of the night in his welterweight return for KOing the sentient steroid tumor they scraped off of Vitor Belfort’s withered testicles, but he’s also had some pretty tepid stinkers and a lot of “meh” split decisions. There’s good odds this fight won’t answer either question, but there’s also live odds that it’s cool as hell.

Light heavyweight

Ion Cutelaba
How to stay off his Naughty List: Watch this fight

vs.

Jared Cannonier
How to stay off his Naughty List: Seriously, they’re begging you, don’t switch over to your N64 and play Goldeneye again for 15 minutes, watch this fight

Ion Cutelaba’s holiday job is to stand outside of your window with a boombox at night while you try to watch “A Christmas Story” for the hundredth time, not wearing a coat, blaring “Do They Know It’s Christmastime At All,” turning it up a little bit when it gets to that extra condescending Bono part, making you feel bad for underprivileged fat Moldovan children who won’t be getting Pokemon Sun or Moon this year. Because you don’t feel bad for them and haven’t donated enough to charity this year, your Dickensian punishment will be watching Cutelaba fight some guy you’ve never heard of to prove yet again that light heavyweight is a dumpster fire.

Women’s Bantamweight

Sara McMann
How to stay off her Naughty List: Pretend it’s 2013 again, just for a night, so she can remember what it’s like to be happy and successful

vs.

Alexis Davis
How to stay off her Naughty List: Try not to bring up that whole Rousey thing at the UFC holiday party

Sara McMann has unfortunately shaped up to be one of the great MMA busts in recent years. Much like Cejudo, she was also an undefeated Olympic wrestling medalist who was super hyped up. That’s why they made a really big deal out of the “undefeated Olympian vs. undefeated Olympian” thing when she fought Ronda Rousey. Then, she became Rousey’s first-ever KO win. People argued with it, since she was technically trying to stand up when the ref called the fight, but she ate a pretty big knee right to the liver and in that position was likely just going to get tossed and armbarred. From there, she’s had a pretty poo poo run, eeking out a win over Lauren Murphy and then getting wrecked by Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes. That said, her only losses are to UFC bantamweight champions, so it’s entirely possible she could lay on top of Alexis Davis while making confused faces for another win check.

Alexis Davis tends to be a punchline, and it’s probably slightly unwarranted. She’s not terrific, but she’s had a respectable record and some good submission wins as well. She became Ronda Rousey’s second KO win, and this one was much more convincing and record-setting than the first. That’s her lone loss in the last four years, however, and she avenged some old losses to Sarah Kaufman with an armbar her last time out. Since then she took some time off to have a baby and is hoping to come back and win big for a nice bonus check to buy her baby some nice Christmas gifts :3:

Flyweight

Brandon “The Assassin Baby” Moreno
How to stay off his Naughty List: Refer to him as “The Assassin Baby” with a straight face

vs.

Ryan Benoit
How to stay off his Naughty List: Respect women in nightclubs and shave your beard in a normal, respectable way, or else he will kick you directly in your ballsack and rear end in a top hat

Former World Fighting Federation (???) Flyweight Champ Brandon Moreno was also on TUF 24 as the 16th seed, losing his first round fight to Alexandre Pantoja by submission. I’m not sure why he of all people is getting a return fight on the main card portion here, but more power to him I suppose.

Ryan Benoit made waves by beating Sergio Pettis and then kicking him in the rear end after the ref stopped the fight. He pretended he was sorry and Dana White did not take his presents away, so I guess you don’t really need to behave around the holidays after all.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH

FS1 Prelims, 8 p.m. ET
Featherweight Gray Maynard vs. Ryan Hall
Bantamweight Rob Font vs. Matt Schnell
Lightweight Dong Hyun Kim vs. Brendan O'Reilly
Women's Strawweight Kailin Curran vs. Jamie Moyle

Fight Pass Prelims, 7 p.m. ET
Middleweight Elvis Mutapcic vs. Anthony Smith
Light Heavyweight Josh Stansbury vs. Devin Clark

Official MMA Snack Rating: Candy canes at the kindergarten holiday party, except one kid has sucked it down to a point and is shiving everyone with it, and he’s really, alarmingly good at it, and for some reason none of the adults are putting a stop to it

And make your picks in goonweight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/804767278541615105

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Bluedeanie posted:

Former World Fighting Federation (???) Flyweight Champ Brandon Moreno was also on TUF 24 as the 16th seed, losing his first round fight to Alexandre Pantoja by submission. I’m not sure why he of all people is getting a return fight on the main card portion here, but more power to him I suppose.

He scored an upset win over Louis Smolka as a late replacement on a Fight Night card two months ago.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I Am Groot

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bluedeanie posted:

That fight really drove home how great Mighty Mouse’s wrestling is in MMA, because Cejudo’s is clearly very good as well

Turns out in order to get a proper laugh out of me you need to refer to an Olympic gold medalist's wrestling as "clearly very good". Excellent work with the OP as always Bluedeanie.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Dr. Abysmal posted:

He scored an upset win over Louis Smolka as a late replacement on a Fight Night card two months ago.

he was also unbelievably adorable in the post-fight interview so I'm praying to santa that he gets the win

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I love Mighty Mouse but drat would it be cool for Elliot to pull this off somehow.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I wonder if Tim Elliott is getting paid better than the usual TUF winner fight contract money since this is a title fight. He is at the very least getting the guaranteed 30k from reebok since he is the opponent in a title fight.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

I wonder if Tim Elliott is getting paid better than the usual TUF winner fight contract money since this is a title fight. He is at the very least getting the guaranteed 30k from reebok since he is the opponent in a title fight.

I wonder if he'll give me any of the money

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dallas buyers club two looks like a cool movie.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Memento posted:

Turns out in order to get a proper laugh out of me you need to refer to an Olympic gold medalist's wrestling as "clearly very good". Excellent work with the OP as always Bluedeanie.

McMann won a silver medal.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Man, they even got one of the smallest possible venues in Las Vegas for this Demetrius Johnson title fight.

At least it's in the 25 ft cage which usually makes for more action packed fights.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 4, 2016

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

Man, they even got one of the smallest possible venues in Las Vegas for this Demetrius Johnson title fight.

At least it's in the 25 ft cage which usually makes for more action packed fights.

tiny ring and tiny venue for a tiny man :-)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Six octagon girls tonight

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

I wonder if he'll give me any of the money

If it's money you're after, you should start a podcast.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

tumor looking batty posted:

If it's money you're after, you should start a podcast.

Or become a popular twitch streamer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I love this guy's dad in his corner. "gently caress HIM UP gently caress HIM UP"

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Devin Clarks dad should be everyones cornerman.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
mr clark is making this fight look a lot harder than it should be. i dunno why he put his hands down

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Clark's dad owns. That fight sucked though.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

He was starting to gas half way through the second. He was kind of fighting in bursts in the third.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
does any1 here think cejudo will beat masvidal?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

That's a big step up in weight class for Cejudo. Tough call.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
benevidez i mean -____- excuse me

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Anthony Smith fights are a good time, giving this a thumbs up!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

They should have flown in the victory FC square cage so this fight could have been contested as it was meant to.

Also the square cage owns because everyone gets caught in the corners.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

No

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I also don't think Cejudo will beat Benavidez and if he does it will probably be a really boring fight.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Going out on a limb here, but I think Mutapcic took that round.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

And now Mutapcic looks like death.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
nice

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Mutapcic is so punch drunk he can barely step forward.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I think I like smith :-]

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Anthony Smith has cool fights.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Elbow ko's are rare and very sick.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
curran has nice striking form

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Gets the takedown. Eye explodes.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
OP I am hating. Moreno is awesome and so is Cutelaba. Cutelaba is going to punch this bloke's head off.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I.N.R.I posted:

curran has nice striking form

JP in her corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This fight would be more difficult to score next year when Stockton rules come into play. Under current rules Moyle probably won round 2, but she clearly took more damage, so who knows under the new rules.

• Locked thread