Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRafTer posted:

Correct but that was November.

Yeah I realized my timeline was off. Goon row was way after AotF debuted cause I had the black mask for an AotF/Briscoes match that became a schmoz in ten seconds and was so bummed. That was Misawa, right?

Not as bummed as when Larry Sweeney made me whiff on a high five that sent me rear end over kettle in front of MRT and Hulka. I genuinely miss Edison shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Which show was it where CC complained about being worn out after cheering for the first match and how it was ROH's fault

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

weekly font posted:

Yeah I realized my timeline was off. Goon row was way after AotF debuted cause I had the black mask for an AotF/Briscoes match that became a schmoz in ten seconds and was so bummed. That was Misawa, right?

Not as bummed as when Larry Sweeney made me whiff on a high five that sent me rear end over kettle in front of MRT and Hulka. I genuinely miss Edison shows.

edison was the chillest venue.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh yeah reminder there's a PPV tomorrow

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

lol

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

gif Probst posted:

edison was the chillest venue.

One would hope so in a hockey rink

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chris James 2 posted:

what the gently caress does that even mean?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

coconono posted:

what the gently caress does that even mean?

"we don't care but Mandy fucks Delirious so here's some youtube matches until she finds a better dude"

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
"When we can make money promoting women's shows we'll do it"

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Looking forward to meeting and greeting ROH World Champion Minoru Suzuki tomorrow.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
:lol: at Cody's really lovely Fallout gear

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Man that was disappointing. Suzuki deserved better booking

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Kenny King getting that Bachelor bump 3 months too late.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
“The American Nightmare” Cody Rhodes says he’s no longer a free agent and has inked a domestically exclusive contract with Ring of Honor for the next “several years.”

https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/911742754648133632

Obvious confirmation Danielson is ROH bound lol

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/911437976768581632

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, Bryan is just vocally frustrated and Cody is just campaigning.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

rovert posted:

“The American Nightmare” Cody Rhodes says he’s no longer a free agent and has inked a domestically exclusive contract with Ring of Honor for the next “several years.”

thank god

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

finally convince Kenny to work a singles in ROH....against YOSHI HASHI.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

coconono posted:

finally convince Kenny to work a singles in ROH....against YOSHI HASHI.

- Finally convince Minoru Suzuki to wrestle in the US...have him lose to Cody in less than 15 minutes -

Sending YOSHI-HASHI almost feels like payback for wasting Suzuki.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

YOSHI-HASHI rules and ROH doesn't deserve that match.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

ROH isn't ready for a loose explosion

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i completely forgot ROH was in vegas

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A LONG but interesting read https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/72od1f/my_view_on_why_roh_cant_get_to_the_next_level/

quote:

Closing notes:
Minoru Suzuki comes in, loses clean night one, on the losing side of night 2. Do you really want to see him again? Does ROH have anyone who you’d consider a “Dream Match” for Suzuki?

Silas Young comes out of a PPV with his biggest win and loses in an unearned, meaningless six man title match.

Motor City Machine Guns finally win the ROH World Tag Titles and their next match is a TV loss in a 6 man match. Cody has no contenders built up. Jay Lethal just lost.
Jay Briscoe lost his smile. Dalton Castle is nowhere to be seen and not referenced.

Bubba is milking a fake retirement angle using the topical CTE stuff, involving HOH’s Tommy Dreamer. This is just so dreamer can help push the HOH brand on TV which was shot down as a potential partnership by Joe Koff. So Koff got worked. At least Dreamer will cut some of those overdone sappy “Please don’t give up promos”

Marty Scurll is in no better position. He is no higher on the card than he was, but heres hoping that the Bucks book him better in BTE so ROH can run those angles without explaining them.

Punishment Martinez, Shane Taylor, Chuckie T are just moveable pieces with no real position of strength.

Mark Briscoe is just a putz who is Jay Briscoe’s little brother. He is one of the best athletes on the roster, one of the most intelligent and yet he is just used as the little brother.

Jay Lethal, Daniels & Kazarian are all stuck in the mud. They are all great talents who need a fresh coat of paint. Unfortunately ROH doesn’t have the paint brushes to do that.

KUSHIDA, Jay White & The Tempura Boyz are all lucky they have the option to go back to Japan.

Other than Kenny Omega coming next month, what buzz does ROH have? What momentum? I see none, this is a company slowly ticking backwards.
ROH is not big on continuity. They do not build up contenders. Guys win “Proving Ground” matches or pin champions in tags. There is minimal to no character build, nothing compels me to attach to any specific character.

There is no continuity. The ROH booking team could learn from Being The Elite. As corny as it is, at least they build to something, layer it and give you a payoff. ROH seems to be living off of ROH bringing in New Japan Stars.
I’d love an open discussion with an opposing view.

rovert fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 27, 2017

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I don't disagree. Even Evolve has the same problems. A mediocre spectacle that few, if any, will remember in a week.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Mark is one of the most intelligent people on the roster?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he scored high on an iq test like 10 years ago i'm sure it's all been bludgeoned out of him since

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
That entire thing just reads to me like 'RoH's talent depth has been destroyed by WWE and NJPW so they have repetitive boring booking' which yeah

I'm still looking forward to seeing them live, but the promotion overall has been boring for quite some time. It's not breaking news

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
not every promotion needs a lot of buzz. they're putting on good shows that are well attended if not talked about a lot. who cares

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
sometimes they make overly safe and other times very stupid booking decisions and their talent management is suspect but it's fine. it's fine! it's fine

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bard Maddox posted:

not every promotion needs a lot of buzz. they're putting on good shows that are well attended if not talked about a lot. who cares
You can say that about the WWE because they've got nothing to lose. Any and every US indie (beyond PWG, which has successfully sold itself as a top-card gatekeeper to the rest of the indie business) is living on borrowed time by contrast. ROH is where it is only so long as Sinclair stays ambivalent enough about its continued existence not to cancel it.

It's generally better for everyone if you're firing on all cylinders rather than coasting. You can fret and blame talent poaching but making lemonade out of lemons has been done before.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 27, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like, you've got guys who could conceivably get NXT contracts if they wanted them, but instead they decided to stay with ROH. The fed should do right by those guys. Instead they seem to have something like free-floating contempt for them because the other guys have better toys, and they can borrow NJPW's if they need a draw. Why is Bully Ray grunting to get himself over the most notable part of the show.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not reading but nxt is bad

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NXT is ROH's 2006 roster except older and more hurt.

ROH's last good feud was Dalton Castle vs Silas Young for the custody of The Boys.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I didn't see any of it but the silas feud with jay lethal seemed good

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jay Lethal is actually boring.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

coconono posted:

ROH's last good feud was Dalton Castle vs Silas Young for the custody of The Boys.
That was the only ROH PPV I bought and it was for that match. The only other one I remember was like ACH vs. Moose and it was extremely boring

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016

Bard Maddox posted:

People can say what they want. ROH keeps selling out shows. Their business is up from last year. They got a sellout of over 2500 for the Chicago area in a few weeks. Final Battle is already a hot seller and come Mania week they will be in a near 10,000 seat arena.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roque11 posted:

People can say what they want. ROH keeps selling out shows. Their business is up from last year. They got a sellout of over 2500 for the Chicago area in a few weeks. Final Battle is already a hot seller and come Mania week they will be in a near 10,000 seat arena.

Americans want to see the Bullet Club and Omega live - that's the only thing ROH has going for it

The Buffalo show originally had 2000 seats up for sale, but when sales were slow they scaled back and only had 1000 floor seats. Up until last week there were 800 seats sold, and within a couple hours of Omega being announced the 1000 seats were completely sold out, and now there's people on Facebook begging them to open up more seats.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Americans want to see the Bullet Club and Omega live - that's the only thing ROH has going for it

The Buffalo show originally had 2000 seats up for sale, but when sales were slow they scaled back and only had 1000 floor seats. Up until last week there were 800 seats sold, and within a couple hours of Omega being announced the 1000 seats were completely sold out, and now there's people on Facebook begging them to open up more seats.

Doing 800 seats that far in advance is giant for ROH in that market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

roh will be fine as long as they are owned by the largest media company in the country

they could certainly be in a much better spot if sinclair felt like losing money promoting wrestling but that would probably just kill them in the long run

• Locked thread