Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how was supercard of honor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

And I thought Bull Dempsey on the roster was bad

They brought in the wrong dempsey

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

weekly font posted:

Yeah I realized my timeline was off. Goon row was way after AotF debuted cause I had the black mask for an AotF/Briscoes match that became a schmoz in ten seconds and was so bummed. That was Misawa, right?

Not as bummed as when Larry Sweeney made me whiff on a high five that sent me rear end over kettle in front of MRT and Hulka. I genuinely miss Edison shows.

edison was the chillest venue.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i completely forgot ROH was in vegas

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he got the title shot because It Will Be A Cool Match.

nobody questioned it when ROH flew in morishima to fight necro butcher

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roh is good, there is just a lack of buzz because of a lack of exciting feuds and matchups. the shows are Not Bad. i think if they want to freshen things up roster wise and make it feel wide open, they should get rid of the television title.

having one singles championship as the focus would help increase the value of singles feuds since they will all be tiered from the championship level down, and it will help increase the number of potential championship matches that you really can't have with that artificial stepping stone of a midcard title. if the tv championship were as protected and treated as strongly as it was during its first couple years, then this argument wouldn't really be as big of a deal, but i mean its been an easily forgotten belt since jay lethal lost it.

their tag division i think is also really strong but is being hampered by the existence of the 6 man belts along with their regular tag titles being featured mid-low on the card (when it very well could be main event level). they currently have access to KES, Briscoes, Young Bucks, MCMG, War Machine, Silas Young and Beer City Bruiser (they are not amazing wrestlers but they are great unique characters and that does matter.), once lucha underground is dead there will be more possible teams they can craft that can help bolster the division.

they should also stop running off good black wrestlers. that will help them in their growth. i think jimmy jacobs, if we can go off of his 2005-2007 writing, should be given a shot with helping book to try and pepper in life to this company.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

What always drew me to ROH were how well they've done blood feuds, but I don't know that they've really done an outstanding job at them since Steen/Generico since I haven't heard about a hot one since

davey richards vs eddie edwards could have been one i felt. davey vs steen was almost there, but that felt more like steen vs cornette which hurt it. adam cole vs lethal was starting to get there but cole just won the title and lethal kind of petered out like he always does. right now it feels like there isn't that babyface to get behind and thats really something that's missing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jubs posted:

I think you meant to post that in the shit_that_didnt_happen.txt thread.

i dunno i see bc parody shirts here in vegas fairly often

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

changing belts bugs me because its removing the one bit of tangible history that fans intuitively understand. Now they can't say that's the same belt held by Bryan Danielson because some weirdo like me will complain.
i kinda wish they went back to the original belt even if it was a straight ripoff of the UWF belt.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this looks like poo poo compared to the rocko

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

their dvd covers started to get really good around 2009 to 2013.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just tried to buy final battle but its not showin up on my cable box, is this an ippv only?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Hah, I appreciate you noticing. That's pretty much the exact range where I did their DVDs.

Ya

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bring back hogewood please

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when this thread discusses roh's bad stable names why doesn't The Hangm3n ever get a mention

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

scurll should have won

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the company was hotter with cody as champ tbh

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

does anyone actually watch enough ROH TV? I feel like we're all guessing here.

i try to but i usually miss it if traffic from work is bad

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NienNunb posted:

Remember that first big ROH/New Japan show? Young Bucks/reDRagon was so good.

that show was such a blast and well worth the fly-in.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

was rewatching some old roh matches today, just a few notes

the nearfall in joe vs daniels was insane and the pop for it was nuts.

before joe vs lethal for the pure title, joe comes out to momma said knock you out. when he wins, it just smoothly transitions into jadakiss' the champ is here. i thought this was v. neat and is a part of the little production things roh would do here and there that i liked.

erick stevens/shiozaki/strong three way: 1) man erick stevens is super over here. 2) why the hell did the fans want the chopping to stop 2008 roh is such a weird place oh my god that was ten years ago.

people talk about the silence after bruno lost the title to ivan koloff but the silence when morishima beats cide in a squash match is pretty close. im v sure the crowd wasn't expecting this title change this quick at all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oatgan posted:

okada vs cedric alexander was dynamite

i remember when this was originally announced for war of the worlds people were getting really mad

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also maybe im in the minority and it sure was the wrong time and wrong person to beat nigel but i sure dug jerry lynn's little title run, even if it was only a couple of months.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it's especially tremendous considering nigel mccguinness had no arms at the time

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roh tv this week was good. i still feel like dalton's reign hasn't been what it could be and i think it should be marty or cody with the title. silas and bcb's act is growin on me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

BCB should have the title.

not opposed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one of the boys on a tv taping should step up and challenge dalton for the title. not necessarily turn heel but i think it'd be a cool mentor/mentee twist

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember him challenging Joe when Joe was the champ and Joe getting on the mic after winniung and going "You actually thought I'd lose to him? Man, gently caress you!"

man joe's reign was drat good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

danielson's reign was the best though because he made you believe white supremacist delirious could win the championship

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I consider his reign to be the best ROH reign ever. There are a bunch of genuinely great ones, but his chase and capture and reign are what got me interested in ROH beyond casually reading results and such.

i think he won it literally on his second or third show back from hiatus

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Morishima just having one or two two minute defenses on a card was always cool, especially when he was killing BJ Whitmer because gently caress him

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if there is any wrestler i cant stand less than bj whitmer its probably nick aldis

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when did roh drop the #1 contenders trophy (it was a good thing to drop)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

those are definitely the same ropes they've had since at least 2007

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

marty should have won it in april

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont think roh has had a really exciting world champion since steen.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wait they gave Lethal the title with almost no build? LMFAO.

they've been building to it for the past few months with lethal going over everyone who has beaten him since losing the belt before. im guessing dalton hit his wall and cannot go anymore so they pulled the trigger earlier than they were planning to.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roh is not very good at booking babyface champions, or at least they've shown an inability to. actually thats not really true, i thought briscoe's two reigns were done really well. dunno why he didnt break out more.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roh was late on getting the belt to tyler black, they were late on getting the belt to elgin, they were late on getting the belt to kyle, i dunno if i'd say they were late getting the belt to dalton because i dont know that i ever felt he was there yet, but roh has a history of waiting too long to pull the trigger on the babyface. they got it extremely right with edwards and richards though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

2011 underrated year for roh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he claims the bucks tried to make him watch okada vs omega from the g1 last year and he was bored by it

• Locked thread