Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, didn't watch the show and the reviews/recaps I've seen have differed on this point, so... did Brandi kiss Kenny or did Kenny force a kiss on Brandi? Because the latter, while it would kinda make snese in story, is way more sketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Elite, plus Ibushi and maybe an Okada/Tanahashi/Suzuki/Naito level New Japan talent would probably give them a shot at drawing enough to not be embarrassing in a building that size. And Supercard of Honor is at over 5k, so, it's not impossible for them under the right circumstances.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hope the PoC beat the racist farmers, Tana needs a belt to hide his mighty abs from the ladies during his entrance. Give 'em 20 frog splashes each, Ace!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TTBF posted:

How much do Supercard of Honor iPPVs usually cost?

Looks like $35 for non-subscribers, $17.50 for regular subs and if you bought the premium annual sub, it's free.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And, I mean, the dominant wrestling group in the US market is owned by the husband of a member of Trump's cabinet, so, it's not like you can easily avoid this kind of thing as a fan of this dumb sport/art.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just assume at some level the yakuza are involved.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

So, my desire to see Kenny knee Cody in the face beat out my desire to not give Sinclair money and I'm gonna order Supercard this weekend, but I'm not exactly sure how I do that. It doesn't seem exactly like a WWE Network/NJPW World situation. Am I gonna be subscribing to Honor Club and then ordering the PPV after that, or what?

I was similarly unclear but it looks like they're classing Supercard as a 'tour' show, so it's just in the regular subscription price.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Please don't imply that my perfect gay wrestling son is going to cheat with an anime

But he's already with Kota, tho? :confused:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd watch ROH on VOD, honestly. There's about an 85% chance the stream is gonna die when the entrances for the main event start.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’m watching Takeover live just because there’s a way better chance that gets spoiled for me if I don’t.

That also. I should probably check to make sure I have push notifications off on the WWE app on my tab and phone. (I'm probably gonna be on a train during the WM pre-show and don't want the cruiserweight match spoiled)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

...then why the gently caress didn't she win the women's title?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Germansimp posted:

Oh good, a Dusty finish, just what this feud needed to keep it going longer and longer :doh: .

Jubs posted:

That's not a Dusty Finish.

Yeah, a Dusty Finish would be Taven losing because he has blood on him, only for the decision to be reversed on the next TV because the ref saw Cody's knuckles being bandaged.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't the point supposed to be that the Boys are just nameless beefcake for Dalton to admire and have serve him?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fart blood posted:

I just think the name lacks color for people with such a colorful gimmick.

They aren't alone. Marty Scurl's nickname is "the Villain." They spent a whopping 3 seconds on that one.

Again, I think that's Marty's gimmick in other promotions too,and it's based around the British connotations of the word. He's basically calling himself a gangster, but like a mafia type one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

It comes together when, idk, that fake Stan Hansen dude comes after them on the outside and Castle gets between them and points at fake Stan Hansen flamboyantly and yells “don’t touch *MY BOYS*”

Marty Scurll is just a bad dork

...did you just compare Adam Page to Stan Hansen?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

They finally announced a match for Toronto and it's Punishment Martinez against Jay White. :effort:

Can't wait for Toronto to start a Knife Pervert chant.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

Got myself tickets to bring the lady and the boy to ROH in NYC coming up. Had a great time last time, got to see Cody win the RoH title from stinky old Christopher Daniels

<:mad:> You take that back, Daniels smells lovely, like sandalwood!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Team White Boys there look like a bunch of fans photoshopping themselves for an e-fed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Silas Young looks like your gym teacher just got told someone took a poo poo on the windshield of his car.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

Naito looks like he knows BCB hasn't showered in a week before the match

"First I get the stupid IC title back... now this. FML"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

drat, with Castle out the only ROH talent in an ROH angle they've got with anything resembling heat is uh *opens roster page, is immediately sucked into a black hole*

Cody. Cody is actually an ROH guy that does New Japan, not the other way round.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Taven is... maybe feuding with Castle? He was getting a title shot at least, so if he wins the belt, you can do him and Cody as a program?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

okada vs cedric alexander was dynamite

Is this on HonorClub, because that sounds like a good time?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

My understanding is that honor club has every ppv and tv episode since the move to sinclair back in 2011 and if so then its on the 5/15/2015 war of the worlds show which is pretty fantastic top to bottom

Thanks! :)

They've also started announcing cards for the UK shows, and in Edinburgh we're getting Cody/Page vs The Briscoes (eh), LIJ vs The Addiction(:woop:) and... Shane Taylor vs Scorpio Sky (:geno:).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're claiming Dalton's wrestling on the UK tour as well, although the Edinburgh show has him in a six-man with Lethal and Tana against the Kingdom (where he could basically lounge on the apron and then hit the bangarang in the finishing sequence and nothing else), but London supposedly has a title match with EVIL.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 17, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...it's gonna be loving Grado, isn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honor United was fun. I got a photo with Tanahashi, but was too starstruck to really say much except give him my name for an autograph, and I got to slap hands with Jay Lethal when heading back to my seat from the bar and he was leaving the ring. Was not expecting the TV title match to be the most fun thing, but having a super-over hometown babyface probably helped, and Young was very good at working the crowd as a heel. The Bucks match was also great, and the Addiction/LIJ match was good, albeit a bit more comedy based that I expected. They leaned too much on distraction finishes, though, to the point where the ref was getting more heat than the heels. I ducked out right before the finish of the main event because I was jumpy about missing the bus to the train station, but from the noise in the building as I was leaving I think I literally only missed the finish itself.

Martinez/King was really solid, I think tonight made me a Kenny King fan. The match was hurt a bit because of a lot of WWE-centric heckling at Martinez, the people couldn't decide if he was a poor man's Baron Corbin (the correct option) or Roman Reigns.

Tenille & Sumie vs Klein & Chardonnay was at least politely enjoyed. I was dreading catcalls, but mostly people were just quiet and cringing a little whenever Sumie and Chardonnay did something clunky together.

The Bucks, Cody, Tana, Joe Hendry, YTR and Dalton Castle got the biggest pops, from where I was sat.

SoCal Uncensored committed to the gimmick, because they didn't just talk poo poo about the town on the mic during the show, they were basically amusing themselves by heckling the people waiting in line for merch and photo ops before the show. (Also Brandi was wearing that sequinned sling with her street clothes, not just as part of her gear. I thought it was her handbag when i first saw her).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm also a bit confused as to the point of the Bully Ray angle. That felt like an excuse to get him on the show that didn't need to have happened when The Boys had gotten a nice pop for winning and could possibly spin that into credibility for the tag belts if they were booked strongly going forward.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I felt bad for Lethal during the 6-man. Tanahashi being way more over than him was always gonna be the case, and I guess Dalton is the babyface champ so he SHOULD be over, but I was surprised at how little reaction Jay got. I even tried to (with a wee bit of success) get a Lethal chant going when he tagged in at one point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Can't wait for EVIL to win the ROH title and save this company.

Given how little Dalton seemed to be able to do last night, that would almost seem like the plan, but I'm not even sure he can do a full singles match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not fair to lay this at the feet of the MCMG. Haven’t they gone away, anyway?

I think Shelley's hurt? And Sabin's in the BOSJ. But they were in the ROH tag title picture recently.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I know the first part but like I consider that the first act of a build, then [SCENE MISSING] then act 4.

What was act 2 and 3 supposed to be then, because honestly, the logical next step is "I challenge the champion now that I've redeemed myself"? They obviously rushed through the build to the actual title match, but that was because Cody and Marty's New Japan roles don't allow them to be the ROH champion right now so they had to have Dalton retain and then drop to someone else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

If Dalton's injuries are so bad you have to get the belt off him ASAP, and they don't want Cody being the champ when everyone knows he's jobbing at Cow Palace, why not just give it to Marty at the PPV? It's not like he's doing anything in Japan right now with the G1 coming up, and you could easily use him to transition the belt to Lethal without making it feel so random.

Marty's doing the job on a tag match on the undercard of the same SF show. He's tagging with Adam Page against Tanahashi and KUSHIDA, and they're not going to job out Hangman or Tana before the G1. And having an active junior on the New Japan roster holding the ROH world title doesn't look great when he's going to consistently be the fall guy in multi-mans over there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

I have a strong feeling that Lethal's transformation into Black Machismo on Being the Elite is leading to Black Machismo vs. Cody (who Lethal thinks is Dusty and therefore wants to murder)

Could be a misdirect and he goes in as Flair. (Admittedly, Cody's gimmick basically already is Ric Flair, which is kind of genius. Dusty's son becoming the spitting image of his greatest rival?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Calling anything involving Jay Lethal or Dalton Castle MOTYC worthy is a bit of a reach.

But thanks for the chuckle, Roque.

Dalton, maybe, but Lethal is legit a fantastic worker. With the right opponent, he could absolutely have a MOTYC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Awwww, they're pretending a title matters in CMLL! That's adorable! :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

So ... how big of a check did they have to cut Vince?

I think it's more than the earlier situation amounted to poking the bear. It wasn't Koff that announced the MSG thing, I don't think, it was a Sinclair guy. The legit scariest thing in wrestling for Vince would be for Sinclair to start caring about and investing in ROH.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Don't forget this event being promoted as featuring ROH stars like Kazuchika Okada, Tetsuya Naito and Hiroshi Tanahashi!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Midnightghoul posted:

Excited to see CM Punk lose to Cheeseburger at MSG

Let's be real, they manage to book Punk/Omega for that show and they're selling the place out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I want Broken Okada to spin Jay White out for the rainmaker and yank him into the most powerful hug of all. The hug of true friendship.

• Locked thread