Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't follow ROH too closely but why would they put the belt on Kyle if he's on the way out :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

KungFu Grip posted:

So Kelly tried pulling a power move on Delirious and got fired?

What does this mean for Kevin Kelly in NJPW?

He's probably on a separate contract to call shows for NJPW World

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Sinclair doesn't really care as long as ROH keeps sending them weekly shows they can dump on the local affiliates at 1 a.m. or whenever.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Roque11 posted:

Kevin Kelly is not even 100% gone. He just left his office job due to the added stress of doing commentary for New Japan. He'll still be doing announcing work as freelancer. Just more ammo ROH haters are trying to use against the company. Even if he was gone it's no big deal. Kelly has been mediocre at best as an announcer dating back to his WWE days. Him being the voice of ROH has made the company look lame as he presents an uncool image. His claim to fame is being the guy The Rock would always make fun of and refer to as hermie.

Btw, War Machine are booked on the Honor Rising shows, but wait they are headed to WWE.

Have you started an ROHMecca site yet

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That's a good match

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd probably watch ROH TV more often (when I do catch it it's generally fun, good wrestling and easy to watch), but the local affiliate keeps changing the timeslot like every month and I always forget what time it's supposed to be on.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We're on like Year 3 of the Internet going "ugh BC and Bucks are so stale" while they keep getting more popular and selling more merch than ever

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Y'all go on for pages and pages about how making money is the only thing that matters in wrestling, and WWE can't attract casual fans these days. Then when someone actually makes money outside of WWE, and attracts casual fans without the WWE machine, they're suddenly "only meme over" or taking advantage of "stupid marks." Give me a break.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Basic Chunnel posted:

BC have if nothing else demonstrated that dull characters and dull work can draw outside the WWE. In earnest, you could write a lot abt how BC and their particular brand of line-toeing ironic/unironic schtick is very Of 2017. If the dorks who lined up for schezuan sauce ever got it they would have too sweet'd one another. But no way is this forum good enough for such a discussion.

This is a grossly simplistic dismissal of an act that clearly tapped into something in the culture, outside the confines of pro wrestling fandom. You certainly can't describe them as "dull" given how much attention, sales, and influence they sustained over nearly a half-decade.

That kind of staying power just doesn't happen in regular meme culture, and it's clearly not going away any time soon. If you want a strong, healthy indie wrestling scene, I think it's more instructive to find out how they connected so strongly and build off that, rather than bitch about why they shouldn't connect. Tomorrow's big indie stars sure won't get anywhere if they stick to "the way things should be" instead of focusing on "the way things are heading."

quote:

Anyway, New Day are superior on that front bc Black Twitter creates better memes at a faster rate than BC's vids. And if you just wanted good tag team wrestling, well… gotta wait for the revival to come back I'm afraid

New Day/Usos had by far the best tag team matches of the year, so I don't even know what you're trying to argue here.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As probably the only person on this forum who watches ROH TV, I still don't get Punishment Martinez

His gimmick appears to be "Aleister Black with 1% of the charisma" and it's the most awkward dorky poo poo you've seen

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sportsgenius86 posted:

Punishment is basically Baron Corbin if he was a better wrestler and somehow managed to have less charisma

Bingo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm so glad Tenille kept the aviator shades :allears:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm ready to be salty as gently caress when Tenille jobs to Mandy in the tournament

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Bard Maddox posted:

Matt Taven is hell to watch and no words you say will convince me otherwise

:same:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Naito looks like he knows BCB hasn't showered in a week before the match

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Beer City Bruiser will be holding the belt before the year is over God willing

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Vince McMahon vs. Sinclair is the pissing battle we deserve

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Don't worry, I'm sure Punishment Martinez will be the next breakout star they're looking for

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
RIP Dalton you deserved better :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Dalton's injuries are so bad you have to get the belt off him ASAP, and they don't want Cody being the champ when everyone knows he's jobbing at Cow Palace, why not just give it to Marty at the PPV? It's not like he's doing anything in Japan right now with the G1 coming up, and you could easily use him to transition the belt to Lethal without making it feel so random.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chris James 2 posted:

Cheeseburger vs Beer City Bruiser

7 stars

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So ... how big of a check did they have to cut Vince?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ROH has successfully branded themselves as "the WWE alternative" and riding a big wave of casual fan interest. There's really nothing more to it than that.

• Locked thread