Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

especially teen clothing

Teen clothing? Not trying to sound dumb here but what is that? Was it a thing 10 years ago? I grew up in a lower middle-class and... aesthetically conservative family, and all I remember is jeans and t-shirts, with an occasional jacket for the colder months. Is teen fashion like that goth stuff they sell at Hot Topic or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

e: this post was stupid and contributed nothing.

Thanks for naming those stores. I never really budgeted any money for clothes growing up so I wasn't really familiar with them. Southern california is a shirts-optional kind of place.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 13, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cicero posted:

Yeah I dunno about San Diego but LA has actually been quite good about building out their rail system lately, it's just that they have a lot of catching up to do.

Don't say this, that's how you get New Yorkers

You know what I haven't seen recently? lovely-rear end roach coaches. Now it's all these fancy, yuppified food trucks where you pay $6 for three tacos or something, instead of the 75 cents each I remember from my youth. What happened to them?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

No you're missing an opportunity. The first time I found out about them was in Honolulu. I was reading about them and was close enough to walk to one. I had half a day off and walked down from diamond head to waikiki. To get to the floor inside the mall I had take a convoluted path up a couple escalators across, down and then back up again. It was pretty empty of people. Most of the stores were very sparse. I remember one store had three purses on the walls of an otherwise white room, clerk just standing looking professional. Eventually I attracted a security tail. I was wearing khaki shorts, boots, and a pit sweated t-shirt, scruffy bushey beard looking vaguely like zach galifianakis, I'd walked a pretty long way before getting there. I smelt a bit frankly. Eventually I got bored of disturbing the exclusivity of the place and had enough voyeurism. The exclusivity is really what they are selling.

Wait what? Are you making that up? What search terms should I use to google that, because I'm not turning up anything.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I'm posting a picture from the Goodwill Bins just to clear my palate after reading all of that:

:)

a place where real, honest pants come from

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Am I hopelessly unhip or something?

Judging from that pattern, yes

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

Done both. Am a millennial. Dead bodies are heavy as hell. Doubly so when it's a former friend. :smith:

I remember the first time I found a corpse. Heroin OD case in a park I was doing community service in. The hardest thing was not rolling it to see if he had any cash. After I called the cops they found $200 or so in his pants while they were looking for ID. Still half-way between pride that I didn't steal it and regret. $200 meant I wouldn't have gone to bed hungry for a couple weeks.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

side_burned posted:

I am morbidly curious to see what Amazon would do if drugs ever get legalized.

Weed/taco drones, calling it now.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Probably anything that needs special equipment, too, like deep-fryed foods, stuff cooked in a pressure cooker, stuff that needs to get blended/pureed, etc. Toast, maybe, if you don't own a a toaster.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I just strap all my groceries to my bike's pannier rack. I got crazy thighs though, so this may not be practical for you.

How much weight is that? When I was lucky enough to live within biking distance of my work there was a grocery store on my route, so I'd just buy enough to eat for a night and a day after my shifts. Wasn't more than 20lbs at any given time, usually less.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

RBC posted:

Many cities, such as Toronto, do the opposite and subsidize commercial vacancies by exempting them from property taxes.

this is why they should purge their government and pass a vacancy tax

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

fishmech posted:

Nope, sorry but rent no one wants to pay isn't a loss, it's simply money you couldn't make. Your actual loss is the actual upkeep costs.

I might as well claim I'm making a loss because you refuse to give me $10,000 right now for this used plastic cup I have on my hospital table.

kill rentiers imo

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The traditional mall got its poo poo pushed in hard in Los Angeles by Caruso's THE GROVE and its partner in Glendale, THE AMERICANA. The Glendale Galleria survives, though its got some healthy realtor churn (and i'm sure the proximity to Americana helps). Everything else is in varying states of depression or slow death.

I thought the Del Amo mall and the Redondo Galleria were doing okay. Del Amo was fun for the last few years because there were distinct "Old Mall" and "New Mall" sections. The old section dated to the 70s/80s and hadn't been updated since, with lots of empty storefronts, a dying Sears, and a pawnshop, whereas the new section is indoor-outdoor and has hip new stores that I can't afford to buy stuff from and hip new restaurants that I can't afford to eat at.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Music has really gone downhill since the days of John Philip Sousa

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

I've taken DC cabs in the pre uber days and they were indeed terrible. But there is a reason other than VC money that Uber started in SF. It is the only place that I've ever been that had worse taxi service than Paris. It was far worse than DC. One driver, who barely could communicate in english and could not find the ferry building had to hand me his Tom Tom and I put in where I wanted to go. I mean, a taxi driver that can't find one of the most iconic tourist destinations in the city they work in and can't speak either english or spanish at least conversationally in SF is not a good hire. This was not an isolated event, and typically happened when you got one at an airport stand.

What makes Paris taxis so bad? I've only taken a taxi once in my life and it was in Paris and it was ok

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

seriously you pack waaaay too heavy, here's my list:

*: raincoat (goodwill, $15)
*: galoshes (goodwill, $5)
*: $30 worth of single-shot liquor bottles (stuffed into raincoat pockets/galoshes)
*: fedora (neiman marcus, $150)
*: Newspaper, los angeles or new york times (crumpled and stuffed into newspaper if traveling in winter)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

I was was living there when that happened.

What was it like living in the Quiznos? Was the coyote an ok roommate?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Sounds like Tim Hortons, they actually made good doughnuts and poo poo on-site but then to save some pennies they decided to mass produce them half-baked at some centralized factory and ship them out, and the coffee is terrible, and because you can't live off minimum wage and the "part time" hours they put everyone on in a lot of areas they hire almost exclusively "TFA"s which are temporary foreign workers. The TFA program was set up to allow quick temporary work visas to get SKILLED workers quickly in key areas. So your tech company can get a special visa quick to hire that one in a million specialty engineer from england because there's no one qualified for the work in Canada that you can get. What happened though is that companies would advertise a minimum wage garbage hour position in some hellish job, not get enough applicants and then whine to the government that clearly there's a labour shortage, can we import 100 Filipinos to staff our fast food place? These people have zero rights and their visa is instantly terminated the moment they are fired, which can also be at any time since they have no rights or protections. They're often lied to about their wages and their employers house them and take their rent off their pay and they have absolutely no legal path to a different visa or permanent residence. It's only a couple steps down from the outright slavery they do in Dubai, and the Canadian retail/food service business is a huge lobby group for expanding it. The narrative of course is that millennials are lazy and don't have good work ethic and are entitled and don't want to work McJobs so clearly we need imported visa-slaves.

And that's just the ones that people see, we also do this poo poo with remote mines in the middle of nowhere where deaths and injuries from the lack of safety standards just go unreported and who cares they're just TFW's, it's like Chinese building the railways except at least those guys got to stay in the country.

gently caress Tim Hortons and all canadian businesses that take advantage of the TFW program (also gently caress woke bae PM selfie for promising to close these loopholes but doing pretty much nothing)

That's the crazy thing about Canada. Every time I read some in-depth article about poo poo being hosed up in canada I get reminded that their poo poo's nearly as hosed up as ours, they're just a lot better at hiding it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

That always surprises me.

The most racist dude I ever met (until I met a white South African) was from Toronto.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can women get away with the traditional male jeans/t-shirt combo or is something that prosaic still constrained by lack of pure cotton? Please understand that I'm basically a beep-boop alien robot when it comes to even mens' fashion.

What about underwear/socks?

vvv: wasn't lying, seriously. I heard they do poo poo differently back east/in europe and other foreign lands, like you'd get turned away if you went to a theater or fancy restaurant dressed in a t-shirt and jeans.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 25, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Most people cannot wear just a t-shirt and jeans to work.

that sounds like an awful way to live.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I thought nurses had to buy their own scrubs. They don't?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

666:Holy poo poo, that's hosed up.

You are just plain and simple wrong, man. Stop acting like things have to be true just because you assumed they are, and pay more attention to how the other half lives. More working women are subject to dress codes than not, and women's clothing - even t-shirts and jeans - are synthetic more often than not. It's amazing, no matter how inoccuous the topic, if it relates to women some goon is going to mansplain about it.

Hey, thanks for the earlier post btw. Feel a little less ignorant. Still dumb as poo poo, but you know, a little more knowledge can't hurt unless it forces out something useful like how to tie shoes or operate a stove.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

paragon1 posted:

I have literally never worked a job that allowed a jeans and tshirt combo on anyone.

How do you avoid dying inside? I'd feel absolutely awful, stuck in a clown suit every day.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That is really childish, and the choices aren't limited to "jeans & t-shirt" or "three-piece suit" you whiny child. And for the biiiiiilionth time in this conversation, if you're only thinking about what men wear to work you aren't really talking about the issue being discussed.

Yeah, you're right. My bad. I've had the privilege of not having to do a lot of office type work and shouldn't mock those who haven't.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

personally i just strip couches and easy chairs that I find on the side of the road and make crude loincloths from their fabric

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

church is completely irrelevant to anyone under 30 unless you live in the kind of small town community that's dying rapidly.

Could this be a Catholic/Protestant thing? My family consists of fairly religious catholics and a few Anglicans, and they go to church weekly, I suspect primarily for the social aspects.

E: it's an urban area, and a fair number of churches have closed in my lifetime, but the Catholic dioceses and the Mormon ward(s?) are still going strong.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 9, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah I don't think most people get a grand payoff like aerospace workers do. We get to watch our poo poo fly off 35,000 feet across the sky in defiance of God Himself.

I dunno. Maybe I just hang with a lot of tradesmen and stagehands, but any time we get together there's going to be at least an hour spent showing people photos of poo poo we built/installed. It feels real good to say "I built that/designed it/had a hand in it", regardless of how you feel about the Protestants. That was why I hated retail so much. Pretty sure I felt better after cleaning up a park on work-release than I did after a day of retail work.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I like making things, specially things other people appreciate or find useful.

I too would build custom dildos

e: Not funny enough to stand on its own, but yeah. I don't feel good at the end of the day unless I've produced something, be that something at work or some creative project on my days off.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 3, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

That blue-collar cosplaying poo poo needs to shut the gently caress up. His whole “only you are responsible for your safety” is going to get someone killed. News flash - if everyone watches out for everyone else everyone is a whole lot safer and doesn’t have to deal with out bullshit workers comp system.

Not to mention his lovely opinions on unions. “If you don’t like your job never ever complain, just find a new one”. gently caress you.

Seriously. I've dealt with new guys on a worksite before and been one myself, and if the older hands weren't watching out there would have been so much preventable death and mangling.

Sorry for stealing work from EMTs and morticians, I guess.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

^^: I want to combine your first paragraph with mine somehow

Honestly, the way it's phrased makes it seem like a subtle dig at workplace safety laws hidden within legitimately good advice: even if everything is up to code you still gotta keep your eyes out, and that's true, but it's phrased in a kinda libertarian way.

I'd say that the rest is dumb as hell. Every living person is a product of their circumstances, as are any choices they've made since being old enough to make choices.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The one in my area has is jungle themed, complete with murals featuring nude natives behind the cash registers. Some time in the early 2000s they painted clothes on 'em, though :(

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Haifisch posted:

This is America, so "massively out of date due to a lack of past investment" is always a correct assumption about our infrastructure.

The neighborhood that I grew up in still has concrete streets that were poured in the 30s by the WPA.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was in the Manhattan Beach Frys like two months ago and they still had floppy drives on the shelf. 3.5" and 5.25"!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the black husserl posted:

On hot days, they literally line up ambulances outside the warehouses because they know so many people will be collapsing with heatstroke.

if i remember right, collapsing with heatstroke is a fireable offense

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The moon never sets over my hammy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about Hammacher-Schlemmer? That's basically the same thing but even more expensive, right?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If the population is below a couple million it's a village, possibly a township

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Just lol if your city village only has one cathedral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

Between myself, my close friends, and my current and former roommate, I can confirm 100% of people have prime

Weird, because from myself and my social circle I have determined that 0% of people have prime