Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

fishmech posted:

Businesses got to really abuse their workers during the dictatorship years, and a lot of labor law reform to cut down on that is still missing. Bosses often "expect" workers to "voluntarily" come in before the boss and leave after the boss every day, and that sort of thing proceeds all the way down from top executives to middle managers to the average worker. (So like let's say the CEO comes in at 10 am and leaves at 4 pm everyday. His immediate underlings might be expected to try to come in at 9:30 am and leave at 4:30 pm to ensure that they never come in after or leave before the CEO. Their underlings are doing 9-5, theirs are doing 8:30 - 5:30 etc. In some big companies, the average grunt worker in the office might be working til like 8 PM many days because of this - while their salary is still based on doing a normal 9-5.)

It's even worse. After your shift "ends" which is often already way later than it was supposed to be, you are expected to then go out with your team for dinner, drinks, or general bonding (karaoke with more drinking). This means Korean men working in a corporate environment are often not home until very late, which naturally leads to a lot of family issues at home.

This is a good article on Korean work culture:

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/english/oped/opinions/3698-insider-perspective-seven-reasons-why-korea-has-worst-productivity-oecd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Avalanche posted:

Picking cotton bare handed is a more meaningful existence.

Would you mind telling us what hell-hole you worked in so none of us ever shop at that particular business? I've had some terrible retail gigs in my life but 3 minute bathroom breaks god drat.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I really respect Little Caesar’s. They’re low quality, but they don’t pretend to be anything else, and charge a commensurate price. I love supporting businesses, even chains, that aren’t trying to get away with something and pulling cute little tricks.

I'll keep Pizza chat going.

Of the big chains Little Caesars is also easily my favorite. They don't pretend to be anything different, and their service (at least at my location) is exceptional. Like if it's 8pm on a weds and my fiance and I were both working late, we're hungry, and our budget is tight, little caesars is perfect for what it is. If I want a better quality pizza, I'll go to a sit-down restaurant or make it myself.

Also unlike John Schnatter, the guy who founded Little Caesars seemed like a good human being and paid for Rosa Park's rent.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/us/mike-ilitch-rosa-parks-trnd/index.html

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Brookstone is shutting down all of its mall retail stores.
https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/02/news/companies/brookstone-bankruptcy/index.html

This isn't a surprise or a shock, it was only a matter of time for a mall retailer whose entire shtick is funky gadgets and pillows that no one needs.

It's only sad for me personally because it was my very first job out of High-School (well, minus the summer I did landscaping), and in my six years there I worked my way up to assistant manager before going to college. I have no love for the company itself, but most of my social circle were the people I met while working there. Some real life long bonds were formed over those many late nights gearing up for Christmas or Fathers day sales, re-stocking, doing inventory, getting free coffee from the baristas at the caribu coffee next store (I let them hang out in our massage charis in return for as long as they wanted), and complaining about customers. So many Dominos pizzas were eaten. Working that job, lovely as it was, helped me break out of my shell and talk to people, learn responsibility, and helped prepped me for college.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Looks like Gamestop is in it's death throes

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/04/gamestop-posts-massive-loss-as-pre-owned-game-sales-plummet/

quote:

GameStop's massive loss is the largest ever reported by the company, and only the third annual loss since it grew out of the corporate remains of FuncoLand in 2000. GameStop last posted a loss in 2012, when it lost nearly $270 million thanks in part to weak holiday sales near the end of that era's console generation.

But more than the amount, the reason behind the new loss could be cause for long-term concern at the retailer's thousands of worldwide storefronts. While hardware sales were roughly flat and new software sales fell about 4 percent year over year, pre-owned software sales cratered nearly 12 percent for the year, continuing a years-long slide.

Apparently the only bright spot is it's Think Geek partnership.

quote:

As far as physical goods, the only real bright spot for GameStop last year was in collectibles. That area of the business grew over 11 percent for the year, making the company's 2015 purchase of nerdy collectible store ThinkGeek look somewhat prescient.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 4, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

We had a full page of game-manual chat and no one brought up flight sim manuals? They used to be massive I remember the one for Janes WWII Fighters was basically a book on the Battle of the Buldge, every aircraft involved, combat-flight maneuvers, ect.

The manual for Falcon 4.0 was legendary for how ridiculous it was.

PDFs tucked away in the game's directory just don't compare. Then again, I'm also the nerd who misses the art-work that used to be included with LPs and CDs.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Xarn posted:

Wait, in USA the cashiers dont have chairs? What is wrong with you people?

When I did retail/grocery you were on your feet 8, 9 , 10 hours a day and the motto was literally “if you have time to lean you had time to clean”

You learned real quick to use your meager wage to invest in really good shoe insoles as when I did retail I had to wear dress shoes. At least with grocery I could wear sneakers.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I work in Service Desk.

They key to completely bringing your organization to a grinding halt is to initialize a Group Policy that removes your users desktop shortcuts.

A major of users, no matter the age, are utterly paralyzed when you remove their shortcuts. Like, they can’t even figure out how to click the Windows Start menu, a functionality that has been around for nearly 25 years, to find their programs / Google Chrome.

This includes our application development team. People who should loving know better.

It’s nice knowing there will be a need for service desk/Desktop Support for the foreseeable future.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

What problem are you trying to solve that involves getting rid of desktop shortcuts?

I mean, yes I can go find the programs again, but doing something like that is basically the digital version of clearing everyone’s desk and putting the papers in random drawers.

Our IT director wants them gone on all newly imaged computers for “reasons”

It doesn’t make any loving sense to me either.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I was just in Tokyo and saw several Tower Records stores, including a huge multi-story building in Shibuya. It was wild, like a return to the 1990s.

Apparently, people in Japan still really like CDs. I had no idea, and it's insane to me. :psyduck:

https://qz.com/711490/why-japan-has-more-music-stores-than-the-rest-of-the-world/

Meanwhile in the US, Vinyl is out-selling CDs which actually makes sense. Vinyl is a collectors items mostly due to the artwork and I guess, people like the old fashioned look of vinyl?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I don’t think the Vinyl renaissance has much to do with audio quality. Rather people like either A) purchasing old records for nostalgic purposes or B) if you want to support your favorite band, Vinyl often has better artwork and is a more “unique” item to have than buying a CD since you are streaming all their music at higher fidelity anyway. I think people just like collecting them.

In a way, it’s nice there is still some sort of physical market for Musicians (especially up-coming or otherwise obscure)to sell their poo poo other than gigs and tshirts.

*edit*

I’m still confused about the Japanese love for $20 CDs tho. I get the culture loves physical objects (most everywhere is still cash only) but as an American its mind blowing. Europe is somewhat similar too, from my little time spent there.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 19, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

This discussion is fascinating to me, because given the high population density in Japan, small houses/flats and high internet speeds, I would think that it would be all digital all the bloody time and that physical... anything, really, would be all clutter in limited space. I live in a spacious, if overpriced, apartment and if even a fraction of my game library were still on physical media I would be hosed.

It’s not universal - I don’t think Japanese people are buying loads of furniture for example. Also none of them own dryers judging by all the laundry hanging out to dry even in mid-tokyo despite being one of the most advanced nations on earth.

Also manga. They read a lot of manga on their phones (at least on metro) so they do consume digital media. In fact physical magazine and manga sales are falling in Japan - even as CD sales remain steady.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/12/26/national/magazine-sales-japan-fall-short-book-sales-first-time-41-years/

In other words...Japan is a land of weird contrasts.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might just be an Australian thing but I find it weird to assume someone hanging washing out to dry must not own a dryer. Saves on power and in warmer weather it'll be pretty fast.

Every airbnb I have ever stayed at in Asia has never had a dryer. Everyone I know who lives in Asia also doesn’t own a dryer. Small sample size I know but I just don’t think its seen as a necessary appliance.

Now that I think about it, Europe was the same way.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah Staples closed a large number of stores but there are still locations and they have typical office furniture type stuff instead of just gamer chairs or whatever.

When I moved I bought my "Gamer" chair from them for about $100. Seems good quality and it's a staples exclusive. Also Staples has a good presence in most major metropolitan areas and if my users (I work in service desk) need an emergency keyboard, Ethernet cable, whatever I usually direct them there.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mozi posted:

IIRC most gamer chairs are literally surplus race car seats with extra branding. Or at least made in the same factory in China.

That explains both why they are ugly as sin but comfortable as gently caress.

My friend’s wife loved her gaming chair so much she used it for gaming while she was pregnant AND in the nursery room afterwards.

That was enough to convince me to buy one lol.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

When I worked at Trader Joes everything that was non-perishable (so no meats or dairy) was donated to a local org at the end of the day.

It was (at least 10 years ago) a legit good company to work for, especially as a college student. $10 an hour starting (in 2008) health/dental insurance and even PTO. Managers were relatively flexible with hours too.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Staples also has government contracts I'm pretty sure.

I've worked in government (contractor) and can confirm. Contracts with Government and the DoD private sector are what keep Staples/Office Depots afloat.

That said I got my current "gaming" chair from Staples and am very happy with it. Their Printer toner prices are also very competitive.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea of all of those I don’t see how Best Buy survives long term their current strategy of “Geek Squad charging boomers $100 to re-image Windows 10” can’t be sustainable.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Not directly retail, but apparently Tough Mudder has filed for Chapter 11. That is definitely gonna be one of those things we look back at in a decade or two and consider very of-that-moment. Like pet rocks in the 70s...

Yea I remember doing lots of “mud races” back in like 2010-2014 at the height of the craze. A group of us used to train with and run them but we stopped because of life, family, and just getting older.

Yea I agree we’re going to look back at it as a very brief early 2010s fad.

A lot of them have been going under. Savage, rebel, ect. I think Spartan is doing ok tho?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Retrowave Joe posted:

Can we include color runs in there too? Those seemed to be huge around then

Oh yea I did a bunch of those too especially when Living Social was a thing. Seemed to be a living social/groupon deal for a color/glow in the dark/music/whatever run every other week. Some of them used to give out some really cool swag/gear.

Those all died out around the same time Living Social did.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Tons of people would get horribly sick from those mud runs too because it turns out having hundreds of people running through mud and getting it in your mouth and eyes can some how be a vector for disease????

I never got sick BUT I got horrible poison ivy / poison oak on one because the trail wasn’t properly “cleared”. Half my body swelled up it got so bad I ended up at the doctors and on a mixture of oatmeal rubs and antihistamines.

They were a cool social activity because I was young and dumb and the obstacles were fun but they are also horrible on your body. It was very easy to get injured or just wear your body out. There is a reason my group just suddenly stopped doing them.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lambert posted:

Movie attendance is still falling pretty briskly. It's simply too expensive and offers a bad experience. Personally, I haven't been to a cinema in years, and I don't think I'm a rare case.

This isn’t necessarily true. AMC for example saw an increase in attendance partly due to its Alist program.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2484181/amc-theatres-says-movie-attendance-is-actually-up-in-2019

As the other goon noted Movie nights are an easy excuse to get out of the house. My wife and I will do a monthly “dinner and a movie” date night because its so convenient and the theater near her work is nice

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lambert posted:

Interesting. Overall, movie attendance is still falling. I can't imagine the market for Movie Pass-type services is all that big, I don't think those are going to save cinemas.

I think it will eventually level off - like Mall closures. There IS a market for cinemas but it isn’t “five cinemas in town of 20,000” sustainable.

*edit*

Of course if there is an economic downturn and people’s discretionary spending budget zeros out then yea the industry will suffer a whole lot more, but cinemas will never die out completely.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I had a great experience my 5 years at Trader Joes but that was at a specific store so YMMV

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

If you have time to lean you have time to clean!

Every hated retail manager, ever.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

There's like no way that malls don't totally go under after this. And the few companies that own and operate them. And then the companies which service them suffer and something has to be done with those commercial spaces. Hopefully, cities will just exercise eminent domain and turn them into giant farmers markets and community clinics and stuff, one-stop shopping for things people actually need and should be provided by a government.

Turn that land into apartments / housing with mixed retail / shops / restaurants

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Motronic posted:

This comes up all the time and it's pretty clear that it would be cheaper to knock them down and start over than to convert to housing for so many reasons, not the least of which are concerns like plumbing.

I mean, thats what I advocate for. Knock down the structure and rebuild into mixed use housing/retail/restaurant/community space. Its a much better use of the land, provides much needed housing, and can provide community resources (libraries or maybe civic centers).

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I really only want a physical copy of FF7 remake because I have an ancient launch PS4 and the HDD is nearly full.

I also like physical copies of switch games.

But im in the minority and even I’m buying more and more digital copies. I expect by the time the PS5 comes out ill stop buying physical copies entirely.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Gamestop announces executive pay cuts, will reopen some stores

I was wondering what steps Gamestop will take to limp to the next-gen console releases.

Sucks for them if the console launches get delayed because COVID-19 hits us with a second wave!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

How are u posted:

QFT! If you're somebody who is OK with waiting 3 or 4 years to play a game you can play all the hits with none of the cost. I just played Wolfenstien The New Order for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was great!

I bought Dishonored 2 off of a Steam sale this past Christmas for like $10.

It's well worth it to wait months even years for games unless you have the money or just can't wait. Often times, you get the added benefit of a few years worth of patches, improvements, and sometimes free added content thrown in too!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Excellent article up on The Atlantic which discusses how the COVID19 shutdown will accelerate the death, but also the consolidation of retail.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/how-pandemic-will-change-face-retail/610738/

quote:

The year 2020 may bring the death of the department store, marking the end of that 200-year-old retail innovation after decades of decline. Macy’s has furloughed more than 100,000 workers. Neiman Marcus has filed for Chapter 11. More legacy department stores and apparel retailers will almost certainly follow them to bankruptcy court or the corporate graveyard. As these anchor stores shutter, hundreds of malls that were already wobbling in 2019 will be knocked out in 2020.

The pandemic will also likely accelerate the big-business takeover of the economy. In the early innings of this crisis, the most resilient companies include blue-chip retailers like Amazon, Walmart, Dollar General, Costco, and Home Depot, all of whose stock prices are at or near record highs. Meanwhile, most small retailers—like hair salons, cafés, flower shops, and gyms—have less than one month’s cash on hand. One survey of several thousand small businesses, including hotels, theaters, and bars, found that just 30 percent of them expect to survive a lockdown that lasts four months.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Sundae posted:

The bankruptcies are fun this month.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/25/business/july-bankruptcies-coronavirus/index.html

- Brooks Brothers
- NPC International (restaurant group, owns 1,200 Pizza Hut and 400 Wendy's restaurants, employs ~40,000 people)
- Lucky Jeans (never heard of them)
- Sur La Tabla
- Muji (never heard of them)
- RTW (owns New York & Co, other mall chain brands)
- Heritage (owns Arrow, other mall chain brands)
- Ascena (owns LOFT, Ann Taylor, and other women's clothing chains)

Additional biggish cuts from the article:

- Tailored Brands (K&G, Jos A Banks, Men's Wearhouse, etc) cuts ~20%
- PVH (Lots of mall brands like Calvin Klein, etc) cuts 12%

No Article Available For:

- GAP closing lots of stores after a nearly $1B loss reported in June. All three stores (lmao) on the main street in my town closed down permanently this month.

I'm honestly surprised it's this few in the end-of-month summaries I'm reading. I was expecting an utter bloodbath.

Good god it’s a blood bath and the worst is yet to come.

Feels like there won’t be much of anything non-online that will be left. And that kind of sucks because I’m a weird size and buying clothes online is a nightmare.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

What was Gamestop reasonings for gutting Thinkgeek?

The original website/store had some cool unique items, and it was easy to browse, and often had some nice deals. I remember buying some stuff there for my nephews or friends especially around the holidays.

But once Gamestop bought it, they completely gutted the site, added it to Gamestop.com and now it's impossible to browse it. The selection of items available is minuscule, and none of it appears to be available for shipping (in store pickup only what the gently caress?? its 2020 how do you not offer shipping :psyduck:) I mean look at this garbage. https://www.gamestop.com/toys-collectibles/thinkgeek

ThinkGeek seems like something that could have been brought up to be a really valuable brand for Gamestop. Enabling them to move from just selling video games and into becoming a Geek/nerdy popculture center. And instead they killed it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hand Row posted:

All the GameStop talk reminds me how doomed Best Buy was and now it’s an incredible turn around story. Remember when the employees had to ask 8 questions beyond just warranty like do you want to buy magazine subscriptions at checkout?

From what I understand the huge move they made was price matching Amazon to deal with the showroom. They got a lot of poo poo for that but then actually turned show rooming to an advantage by having Apple, Samsung etc to pay for space in the store, offsetting the losses from the price match.

I’ve had an incredibly pleasant experience at Best Buy the last few times I went, and their curbside pickup program was a great way to quickly get a router for my mother when she moved a few months ago.

In contrast my last experience at Gamestop was a pain I kept getting heckled to sign up for a stupid warranty.

I said this before but I miss ThinkGeek and Gamestop murdering them is inexcusable. Imagine if Gamestop had transitioned into a “Gamer” store that leaned into gamer culture. A store that sold ThinkGeek items, boardgames, geeky stuff, in addition to games. Imagine if GameStop had leaned into “experiences” like video game tournaments, boardgame nights, discussions with indi developers, ect, which pre-covid was all the rage. Nostalgic Classic games made a comeback imagine if they had invested in that? Wanna buy some snes or saturn games? Gameboys? Imagine if they invested in shipping infrastructure to offer free 2 day shipping? Try in store but buy online using our App while in the store!

GameStop’s death was not inevitable and they had 10 years to fix their poo poo and didn’t. Instead doubling down on pre-order bonuses and loving game warranties and grifting on used games in an increasingly digital world.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 22, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

PT6A posted:

I feel bad for all the people who apparently are forced at gunpoint to buy AAA games brand new.

I mean, we have 20 years of good games which are now old and cheap as poo poo, and a bunch of inexpensive new indie games which are fun to play, so it's tragic that, nonetheless, apparently consumers are forced against their will to spend money on expensive new games.

Ditto. We're in a golden age of games and developing AAA titles isn't cheap. If people want to drop $60-80 on a new game to be the first to get it, good, let them. Video game developers work horrendous hours we they deserve to be paid for their work (publisher fuckery notwithstanding). Otherwise wait 2 or 3 years. There's almost an infinite backlog of games to buy from Steam/PS4 Store/Microsoft, ect

In the last two months I picked up the following AAA games:

SpiderMan PS4 - $20

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare PS4 - $10

Shogun 2 Total War PC - $7

All of these games were AAA releases that had prices of $59.99 upon release. Gaming is a privileged hobby but no one is forcing you to buy a game at $60 new at release or a PS5 on launch day. I think the last game I bought full price was Final Fantasy VII Remake and before that probably Zelda BoTW.

And if you are really strapped for cash Xbox Game pass is like $10 a month (that's cheaper than Netflix!) and you get unlimited access to a huge catalog of games.

Seriously video games as a hobby has never been cheaper or more accessible. So hearing goons whine about how "expensive" it is sounds trite

*EDIT*

How could I forget, as other goons mentioned, the absolute treasure trove of amazing <$10 indie games available on literally any platform?

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

LionArcher posted:

So I pre ordered a PS5 (the one with a disk drive) in person back in September. Put money down. Today I went in, traded my PS4 pro towards it, and went to pay off the rest of the money I owed on it. They inform me that unless I upgrade it to a bundle pack, they would release my PS5. Requiring me to spend an extra $100 to get it. I did, but how loving scummy of them.

Last time I’m buying from them, glad I’m going digital for PS5 games.

I’m assuming this is GameStop?