Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Micro center by me does fine. But they have their own in house brand of computers, so you can get a desktop priced like you built it yourself without building it. And most of the store is stuff like routers or electrical outlet internet connector dodads

That's one of the many things I miss about living in Atlanta. Not only was there a Micro Center just around the corner, but there was also a Fry's Electronics just a short drive away. Now I gotta drive 200 miles if I don't want to shop exclusively at Best Buy or the numerous mom-and-pop computer shops that sell lovely system builds at hilariously marked-up prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Going by this thread there's not a single form of shopping center of commerce you would like and if we had it you're way 30% of the population would be unemployed and everyone would buy their clothing at walmart.

You're surprised that "goons hate thing" is actually a thing.

Speaking of Walmart, it seems like the discount stores are making money hand over fist because stores like Dollar General are growing like weeds in my city. I can count at least three DGs within a 2 mile radius of my place.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

fishmech posted:

Yes it's getting common these days. A lot of malls find that they can't replace one of their closing anchor stores with another "traditional" anchor like a Sears or JC Penney, so they decide to bring either like a Target with the full grocery inside, or straight up a supermarket. A big advantage of this is that such stores tend to bring people to the mall on a regular basis, even weekly, which increases the temptation to go check out other stores in the mall.

The biggest mall in all of New England, the Natick Mall which is to the west of Boston, is doing this - the 3 story JC Penney that left in 2016 or so is being replaced by a 2 level Wegman's and then the Wegman's will sublease the remaining floor to other tenants as well as using it for administration offices.

The Natick Mall is also one of those malls that has condos that have direct access to the mall's interior: http://www.luxuryboston.com/Nouvelle-Natick

Honestly I think living like that would be pretty boring and a hassle for commuting anywhere else.

I know of one mall that half-assed this by replacing one of its former anchors (JC Penney) with a Walmart Supercenter. This involved tearing down the entire anchor building and painting a crosswalk between the former anchor entrance and the standalone building that actually housed said Walmart. This lasted for about a decade until the Walmart suddenly shut down.

The mall itself is an older mall that saw its best days back in the 60s and 70s and managed to hang on by catering to the area's "urban" clientele. It has two or three eateries but no food court and it just lost another one of its anchors, a Burlington Coat Factory that moved in when the anchor before it moved out several years ago.

The city it's in is cash-strapped and the area the mall sits in is a retail brownfield that largely died out by the late 90s. It'll probably be a dead mall within the next 10 years or so.

Badger of Basra posted:

It seems like everyone itt objects very loudly to people enjoying shopping!

That tends to happen when you can order things from THE INTERNET from the comfort of your own basement without having to socially interact with anyone. /s

Peachfart posted:

Saying that TB is angry all the time doesn't mean she is a bad poster. She is a good poster(imo), but she does get really really mad for almost no reason.

TB's an idiot. So is fishmech. They're both idiots.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 14, 2017

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Xae posted:

Well gently caress.

I expected a slight weather derail, bit not this poo poo.

Anyway. I'm currently sitting in a mall about to have lunch. The 4 anchors are Macy's, JC Penny, Sears and Nordstrom's. In a year or two three of them will be bankrupt.

I think Winter is Coming for Ridgedale.

I'm not all that nostalgic when it comes to mall shops and eateries, but I'll shed a tear the day that Sbarro's finally closes shop.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

The Fresh Market is also infinitely better than Whole Foods and they seem to do a better job at logistics too.

Speaking of which, their CEO suddenly bounced: https://consumerist.com/2017/06/20/fresh-market-ceo-resigns-after-two-years/

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Five Guys rules, gently caress y'all

I wish I could replace that statement with "In N' Out rules, gently caress y'all", but there'll never be one east of the Mississippi. :sigh:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Just caught Retail Archaeology's recent walkthrough of a local Sears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR-PVBNMkDM

I don't think I've ever seen a store look and feel so....dead. Time to stick a fork in Sears.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

loving millennial hipsters and their need to fabricate authenticity.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Snorkzilla posted:

So I should have stayed and what? Spent an hour at that stupid scanner getting more and more angry? I wasn't given any other options so I left. I really don't put up with crap and try to avoid getting my blood pressure up over something I have no control over.

And that's okay. You do what you feel is necessary and convenient for you. If that means finding another store that has working registers at 6am, then go for it. Just don't poo poo all over the employees for it.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 4, 2017

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Retail Collapse of 2017: Murdered by Breadchat

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BrandorKP posted:

Southeastern Grocery is in bankruptcy. Harveys Bi Lo, Winn Dixie, etc.

Great. Looking forward to Kroger and Publix and Walmart hoovering up more market share

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

My Black Friday experience?

Arriving at the local mall only to find the whole parking deck and the normally-empty back lot completely filled and thinking to myself "gently caress this, I'm heading back home."

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

boner confessor posted:

i dont think you understood my post

dead and dying malls are being converted into, not malls, or half malls

however, not all malls are dead or dying. plenty are doing fine

From what I've seen, it's usually the high-end/upscale malls that do just fine. It's the far-flung suburban malls that are in deep poo poo. One of those malls in my area is being redeveloped into a "towne center" type complex with shopping, dining, apartments and a Topgolf. Most of the old malls from my childhood have been converted into or replaced by outdoor "lifestyle centers" and regular outdoor strip malls dominated by big box chain stores.

The only remaining "true mall" (a 50s-era outdoor strip mall rebuilt into a 70s-era mall that was completely renovated in the 00s) is doing okay, but they're struggling to keep vacancies at bay. It helps that it borders a decent residential area with a high enough average income to sustain it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Kroger isn't a bad store. They have a good selection, reasonable prices, and... they treat their employees like garbage, even by retail standards. If you care about that sort of thing, shop literally anywhere else. Their union also kinda sucks.

I've found that Kroger's selection and customer service depends way too much on where they're located. At least Publix makes an effort to have a uniformly good experience no matter which one you shop at.

Goddamn, I miss Bruno's.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I live in a college town and there are three Kroger within about 15 minutes of me. One is right behind some dorms and is called "Kroghetto" because it's small, dirty old and doesn't have a huge selection.

Then there's the Kroger near the hospital called "Krogucci" because all the doctors and nurses shop there and it's got a huge cheese selection and a massive organic section, sushi, salad and lunch bars and a bigger selection over all. A lot more ethnic foods too.

Then there's townie Kroger in the townie part of town that is somewhere in between the two, leaning closer to Kroghetto.

I love it when people nickname their Krogers.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/maps/a-definitive-mildly-wrong-map-of-atl-kroger-nicknames
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...84.4821852&z=11

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Gotta love how smartphone prices have come tumbling down within the past few years. The flagship iPhone and Samsung Galaxy still cost a bundle, but a decent smartphone can be had for about $200-$300.

Leasing a phone makes sense if you always want to have the latest and greatest phone available every couple of years.

Horseshoe theory posted:

I look forward to Stein Mart's delisting after Friday for failing to get their stock price above $1 over a 30 day grace period.

When was the last time anyone went to Stein Mart? Hell, why exactly does Stein Mart still exist, other to be an upscale T.J. Maxx?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Claire's is going down, too: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-08/claire-s-is-said-to-plan-bankruptcy-with-creditors-taking-over

Seems like nearly all of the mall staples I grew up with throughout the 90s and early 00s are fading away.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

particle9 posted:

FAO Schwarz was toy valhalla :colbert:

A childhood dream that was never fulfilled. Oh well, I can always live vicariously through this wonderful 1980s blockbuster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF7-rz9nIn4

skooma512 posted:

I have mixed feelings about TRU. On the one hand yeah, that was an exciting place as a kid. On the other, my parents and dad in particular hated getting us stuff from place like this, even on holidays and birthdays, and let us know passive aggressively if not aggressively. I still feel the shame and guilt every time I pass a toy store. But that’s a matter for E/N.

And then your dad would drag you out on one of his lame-o fishing trips and you'd sit in the boat the whole time letting him know passive aggressively how much that outing SUCKED.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Elizabeth Mills posted:

After the franchise wars of 2048, all retail stores are now Radio Shack, and all restaurants are Taco Bells Pizza Huts

Fixed

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Being an adult means conforming yourself into a joyless, soulless individual. A literal cog in the machine we call Life.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

boner confessor posted:

young black kids have been riding dirt bikes and atvs like young white kids for the same reason - they're cheap, fun, and you dont need a license

except the black kids dont have forests and streams to tear up, they have to ride in the city where their presence annoys people

This, basically.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Debate & Discussion › The Nutritional Collapse of 2017: Murdered by Transfats

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So I guess Firehouse Subs is where people who think they're too good for Subway go?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

What about local sub joints? There's one not far from me that blows pretty much every other sub franchise out of the water.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Every time I visited the Fry's next door to that mall, I'd think about walking in just to take a look, but I never made the :effort: needed to actually go.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Was not the fad 5 decades ago, for quite of while, to merge up company with no connections? Cereal company buy auto part company, add hat company, by 1981 has video game company and tape company too etc for conglomerate. Idea of it was who cares if any part work well together, each company is making some profit so you get all the profit of companies and maybe someday save extra money between. Almost seem like today's "sell off the 1$ profit of each 3$ spent division, we only want 1$ profit of each $2 spent division" fad is just of echo fad in response to that.

This sounds like what General Mills or Quaker Oats did back in the 70s and 80s. I believe one of them (or maybe both) had a video game division and some other non-food holdings back them.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Walmart is okay if you want a sub-$300 laptop and give the least possible amount of fucks about specs, performance or even quality. For $500 and up, Best Buy is usually your best bet. I personally prefer Fry's and Micro Center, but going to either one is a 200-mile trip to the nearest non-lovely metropolis.

The one thing I do miss about CompUSA and Circuit City is that they offered consumer variety. If I want a laptop and don't want to order it online, my only options are Best Buy, a smattering of tiny computer shops of various repute and the local computer store that also sells ham radios to neckbeards.

Ratoslov posted:

I hate going to Best Buy. The whole place is noisy and overwhelming, and interacts poorly with my anxiety disorder.

That's the same way I feel about the Cheesecake Factory, except that it's also poorly lit in an attempt to generate a "romantic" mood.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mozi posted:

Did you make some hertz donuts?

A post so predictable, it hertz.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Appoda posted:

This is like watching two hot air balloons hairy assholes poo poo diarrhea.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Soooo......Sears is still dying, like a grandfather in hospice. Stock's even reached Dollar Menu status. What's up with that?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FCKGW posted:

At the end they tear his mask off and it turns out it was none other than the sole heir to the Big Lots fortune all along.

Am I missing something about Big Lots? Is that just as hosed, too?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

HootTheOwl posted:

14. If I wanted generic mall shoes it's about 50/50 they'll be in store, but I'm a picky sneakerhead so most of the time I'm buying at launch, off eBay, or at Oddball.

I guess I'm lucky I'm a size smaller. It just makes finding the right size in stores a slight inconvenience instead of a complete pain in the rear end.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FCKGW posted:

Thank you for responding to this 34 day old post that spawned a multiple page derail. With the exact same question about supermarket brands that was already asked and answered several times already!
Really a great thing you've done here. :tipshat:

Don't post-shame.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BlueBlazer posted:

Gig economy coal jobs/potato gathering?

Come work in the mines for piece work between your courier and server jobs. Just down-load this here app to find the nearest coal/potato deposits on the map.

Be sure to use only Tuber authorized gathering equipment that you purchased from a preauthorized Tuber vending partners.

Scene cuts to a miner endlessly tapping and swiping his smartphone, waiting for the next coal seam slot to open up.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Walmart gently and playfully jostled my wages below the poverty line while reshaping my household into a cardboard box and resformed my future into never-ending nightmare.

The eventual endgame is the restoration of debtor's prisons and a return to convict leasing on a scale far greater than anyone could imagine.

So imagine losing your minimum wage job, your apartment and your car and you get picked up by the cops for trespassing or vagrancy for sleeping in a wooded lot behind your old apartment. Instead of just rotting in jail for however long, you're fined a large sum of money and forced to work it off......at your old job. And you're charged for room and board while you're in jail plus interest, so you're never gonna work that debt off.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GameOver

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So, yet another company that refuses to learn its lesson from its last brush with death because shareholder returns must be maximized at all costs. Neat.

EDIT: How's this affecting the Geek Squad guys?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Free wifi existed from like 2004-2011 depending on how technically adept your neighbors were.

Unless you're near a business offering free wifi to its customers. Other than that, every new router comes locked down from the factory.

The early 2000s were a magical time when you could sponge off your neighbor's wifi and they weren't tech-savvy enough to realize it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Me too buddy.

My client's entire operation is run from terminals connected to an IBM 3033 and the last person there who knew how it worked retired 5 years ago.

There's gotta be money in learning dead computer languages and dead systems for tech support purposes, because lord knows companies love hanging on to old-rear end hardware and software until bankruptcy or the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first*.

*Or when the next CEO demands everything be thrown out for the latest newest tech fad, throwing the ecosphere into a never-seen-before level of utter chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FCKGW posted:

Oh man, the Fry's Thanksgiving Day ad is out and it's bad. It's real bad.

No computers at all
No monitors
No video cards
No Motherboards
No CPUS
One external hard drive
No networking stuff
A few TVs
No appliances
No video games or consoles

They are 100% dead

Fry's has a couple of stores in metro Atlanta. I should just man up, fight my way past the motorized hellscape that is I-285 and indulge in some failing retail porn.

This is hard for me because Gwinnett County might as well be Mars and I can't ever seem to muster the :effort: to get over there.