Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So I saw Amazon now offers 1 day shipping to prime members. Are we going to see a further downturn of retail as we know it with other providerbeing forced to mimic the same behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

learnincurve posted:

Um.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/11/tesco-reports-28-rise-in-profits-for-last-quarter

“Retailer makes profit of £1.64bn on sales of £57.5bn in ninth consecutive quarter of growth”

3% margin on 60b isnt great man. Not a lot of room for error there

When a retail company expands to a new location even when the new store is not open payroll is still spinning, having such a low margin means its a rush to get every new location cash flow positive as soon as possible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You guys realize that by the time we end hunger we will probably be throwing away 10x more food?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Do you guys think a business major, scientist of some sort or a person with a law degree will be making $11 at walmart? One of my employees makes $14 with an english major. Waste of time degree if you want to make than 65k

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My god these poor caged workers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cant wait to watch the documentary on sears.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Someone will break up these trusts. I doubt trump will. Down the road if we see more and more retail collapses amazon could hit monopoly level and get broken into pieces.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We must bust the trusts

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OhFunny posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/28/sears-chairman-eddie-lampert-submits-bit-for-company.html

Lampert put a $4.4 billion bid in for Sears, so its execution has been stayed for a few weeks.

Only a douchebag like this would invest in Sears.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I bought every single christmas item i needed on amazon in the span of an hour, can't compete with that really.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cicero posted:

My mom has a bunch of grandkids, she gave up trying to actually pick presents for them all years ago, now she just gives her kids/kids-in-law a budget for each grandchild and then they send her amazon links to order poo poo.

honestly it makes sense, if you arent with the times on shoes and video games etc your better off just putting it in your kids hands to figure out what will make them happy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Foxfire_ posted:

For the people who are concerned about Amazon, if you were in charge of the FTC, what regulations would you add/enforce/change?

Preferably ones that are legal and wouldn't cost hundreds of billions, so no :thermidor: or nationalize it things.

Amazon gets tax free fuel on any food goods delivered.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Malls are really ficking hard to remodel for anything else due to the circular support system and little to no middle support . You have to get a structural engineer to redesign the building and theyre gonna take a fat %.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Magius1337est posted:

This makes sense when you realize all the CEOs in charge came from the 80s and grew up during that whole "greed is good" and so they only look at min-maxing the short term gains at the cost of long term growth because the belief was that you could dick customers and always flip the stock onto new suckers once it grew enough.

While many corporate raiders existed in the 80s incl. Trump . Not every CEO was out for greed. Look at revlons CEO or Nucorp in the 1980s. Or circuit city before the fall

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

JustJeff88 posted:

I reeeeaaallly don't like buying any type of clothes online as I cannot try them on first and it's usually both costly and a pain in the arse to exchange/refund. As for the latter bit, I will look into it. Haven't a seen a shoemaker/cobbler/Duke of Wellington in yonks.

By the way, I am aware that Arthur Wellesley didn't invent wellies, he just made them famous.

Lemme just say if a shurt doesnt fit from amazon i usually buy a new one and toss the old one. The process of returning poo poo is way to time consuming

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Wow you're either stupid rich or stupid with money.

You really dont need to be stupid rich to do this its pretty great and it makes online shopping easy

I just dont really want to go drive to the loving post office to drop off a shirt
The amount of time wasted doing this is the same as the cost.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Beachcomber posted:

Every time I enter a store and someone immediately says "Welcome!"

Thats not LP. Real lp doesnt greet at walmart they arrest loving people. LP is a lot more fash than you may think.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm more curious about employee theft; workers are payed so loving little that I'm amazed spontaneous organized crime rings don't pop up in Walmarts around the continent.

They do. Trust me employee theft is the major proponent of item theft. I kbow a poster above states wage theft is huge. But item wise employee theft is the biggest loss for a company.

Beachcomber posted:

This was drilled into us repeatedly during our training, and that people who know they've been noticed are much less likely to steal anything. Even as much as the anti Union stuff.

Every percentage counts.

You are right. Saying HI can scare people into not stealing. Putting a fat old lady in a security vest can deterr theft aswell. However for the non opportunists they the cellphone the person carries is the most dangerous object. Not the person themselves.

Constantly greeting customers and help/harassing peiple stops more theft then beatdowns

And by beatdowns i mean arrests.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How to stop avg consumer from downloading pirated content

Tell consumers they will get a virus if they even try to find free movies

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anti piracy ads literally do that and I'm pretty sure they make people pirate more out of spite.

Idk most people i know dont pirate because VIRUSES. I feel like thats true if you have no idea what your doing or are just plain dumb.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I downloaded like 45 seasons of Days Of Our alives in 6 hrs. It was 1 tb

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Malcolm XML posted:

Game company employees are like pre unionized Hollywood employees. They get hosed at very opportunity except the programmer types think theyre too good to unionize

They are prime targets for anti union rhetoric". If you join the union and they make a lovely game your hosed dude!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I wishh target would die as fast as sears did

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

LionArcher posted:

How dare you. Target at least has some good poo poo and is way better than wall mart.

Yeah they hire mentally disabled people to push carts and pay em like $2.00 an hr i cant get behind that. Target sees mentally disabled people as cheap labor and its a loving crime.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sundae posted:

I was in that one a few months ago and it was so dead quiet that it was creepy. No music playing, weird-rear end combinations of things by the register (bottled water, cans of roach killer, and dollar underpants), no employees anywhere except registers, etc. Maybe I caught them during a bad time, because your description sounds nothing like when I was there.

Same when i went into one during closing. The only people there were old fucks taking advantage of the buy 1 get 10,000 free poo poo deals on yankee candles. Other than those chained to the registers 1 employee walked the floor dispelling shoplifters looting the place in the final days. It feels like walking into the apocalypse. Pile of shelving units im the corner like corpses

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gamestop should have realize what was going on around them. Poor management and a lack of cash flow killed them. pretty loving typical of most businesses that fail.

Why did these idiots not take a loving look at blockbuster as to what happens when you only sell the information on physical media and don't own the content.

Bestbuy on the otherhand has been turning around their operations because of their new CEO. a former hotel mogul, they pivoted towards service over all to retain customers. Gamestop did not.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Main Paineframe posted:

Isolation is pretty much inevitable for most old people at some point, because old age and the associated health problems can do a real number on your mobility.

If buying poo poo online replaces having to dispatch relatives or paid caretakers to do all their shopping, that's probably a net positive for them.

This ia fairly wrong. Better replacement surgeries and assited living centers are giving old folk their social lives back. If your a poor goat who lived on 11 bucks an hr from 18 to 65 you may be hosed.

People wheelchairing in their 70s walking in their 80s. Its a thing man

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pants Donkey posted:

Expect Best Buy to be in trouble in the next few years or so, as they've decided the ship has been righted and they're going back to MAKE NUMBER BIG. Also, Joly is out as of last June, but I'm not going to entirely lay the issues at his successor's feet since the wheels were turning well before she stepped up. So they're starting to cut costs by loving over employees, and we know how that goes. Morale is at an all-time low; it's crazy.

gently caress that sucks. I tho8ght they were actually going to change
Guess im the idiot for believing retail entities dont have a hyperfast boom bust cycle

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BrandorKP posted:

Why would they bother turning it around in the first place then?

It feels really loving good?'

seriously, above all else. it feels orgasmic to throw a 6% revenue increase at the shareholders and watch them poo poo themselves with joy after 9 quarters of losses. (Not sure if that's the correct number of quarters of losses bestbuy had. so fantasy example)

An oncologist who just told his patient that her cancer is in remission has the same feeling as a CEO who just turned around a company.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 16, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pants Donkey posted:

i’m not saying it’s new, but that the company has recovered from the brink by focusing on customer experience, and now want to pinch pennies by loving with that.

Hiring a hotel exec as CEO was a good move.

They put a "transition team" aka Einstazgruppen kommando as CEO and hosed it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Google it seems to be a banned phrase in bestbuy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think there's less of a need for a retail presence to fix your horrible computer now that modern OSs have more protection against spyware and trojans and most people have SLIGHTLY more computer skills than when computers were new and magical consumer goods.

I have customers who still cant figure out how to send an email.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Senor Tron posted:

This triggers me.

So many problems students ask for help with is because they are opening a giant Unity project directly off a USB stick, and happily sit there waiting 30 seconds while it catches up after any change they make. No amount of telling them why it's a bad idea seems to stick.

Hahahahahaha this is loving great im sure this event is met with a seething rage. Could you imagine they take this great idea to a real job?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HootTheOwl posted:

There is, but there's also so little demand that getting such a job is all suck

Ftfy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Gonna drag this back up....As a long time IT guy in higher ed, this is very true. You go over 50 ish and it's a wasteland and under 30 ish it's another wasteland. I think there was just a sweet spot where people had to put in work to use these things but not so much that it was overwhelming.

Its thee goldilocks years people who were exposed or forced to use windows 2000 - windows vista and ad hoc troubleshooting was all you had. Ive never used windows 10.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is this from wendys

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Canada is americas museum where we keep all our old lovely retail stores in cryogenic stores

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kmart in canada greeters would definitely get a "IS IT CALLED KMART BECAUSE KANADA?C

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

blatman posted:

I tried to buy a pallet jack from Target when they were all closing down but they wanted like 3 grand for it and no amount of haggling could get it down under my budget of "I have 20 dollars in my wallet"

I bought shelving from sears from someone Im pretty sure had no authority to sell it but he was the only guy watching so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

overmind2000 posted:

There's a pretty good chance that was the most expensive thing that Sears location had sold all year so I'm not surprised they let it go

Other than a pallet of yankee candles they sold to a local chapter of the rotary club