Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: US payment technology adoption, part of the problem is also that there are a tonne of weird little banks in the US that barely make the grade to issue credit cards, let alone upgrade systems to support new/other payment and security methodologies. Some of these banks don't even participate in the Address Verification System (AVS) used by a lot of ecommerce/online stores because they don't want to spend money/time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, it's a thing in the US that credit card companies want readers integrated in to the POS system, and upgrading is a huge expense for small businesses.

That's part of it, but I'm more talking about the Big Iron on the bank side than individual terminals. I'm not sure if it's the case (not American) but it seems like there isn't much barrier to entry in setting up a "bank" in the USA from a technology perspective, with the bare minimum being able to handle ACH/domestic inter bank transfer (maybe?). I've worked in ecommerce for years, and sometimes a Canadian company will need a US-resident style account just to handle currency issues/tax nexus. Sometimes those banks look like businesses in name only, that don't offer online services, don't offer credit/debit cards, only yearly printed statements, and things like cheques taking 6 weeks to arrive and having a weird transit number because the bank in question is obviously using another bank's routing network because they can't be arsed to set up their own. So take that kind of shoe string operation and then tell them "oh yeah we need you to support (x) and upgrades are on your dime" they are probably not going to go forward with it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Doom Rooster posted:

Negative. Say what you will about about their business practices, EA is consistently rated as one of the best games companies to work for. Pay is great, diversity is high, work/life balance is respected and teams work well together (other than the Anthem situation).

It only sucks to work at EA if you’re the tortured genius dev who wants to build your creative vision by yourself with no collaboration.

Feel free to say whatever you want about SURPRISE MECHANICS, business models and legacy game support though.

I'm surprised this floated by unchallenged. I worked at EA. The only thing you have right is that they splash out money on bennies you never have time to use that look good for "best workplace" ratings. QA and associate producers are criminally underpaid and worked to the bone. In Canada (BC) they have successfully lobbied the government for decades to remove work place protections like overtime pay, max hours worked for week, scheduling controls, and wage controls.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I knew a guy who both retired and bought a house doing COBOL in the lead up to y2k. He kept bugging us "young" techs to learn it because he had too much work (he was around 45 at the time). I knew a bit from school fuckery but never wanted to bother so maybe jokes on me.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Raldikuk posted:

There were a lot of problems with the Target roll out to Canada. I'm sure the clone stuff comes into play for the final nail in their coffin but they decided to roll out a completely new ERP suite that caused tons of issues. They couldn't get logistics figured out to save their life and their ERP solution was causing huge problems. For some reason they decided to switch to SAP for Canada when in the US they used their own in house solution. Issues like not having the right dimensions in the new system meant they couldn't fill trucks properly. Not having the right SKUs meant they couldn't order the right product. Then there was the problem that they expanded much too quickly and the stores they took over were in poo poo locations. It was the perfect storm of incompetence really.

Often the Canadian entity is actually a different corporation, and they don't always share infrastructure. Source: Just helped Staples Canada on a big software rollout to wean them off the US architecture.

But yes, Canada sucks because of the sheer size of the place compared to the number of customers who live there. Add in quasi-good legacy government infrastructure and it means a bunch of people are living in prohibitively expensive out of delivery areas, and aren't subsidized by people living in the cities because there aren't enough of them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In Canada it's never consistently warm enough to hang out drying so the dryer becomes something of a necessity

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think Staples is still around and carries furniture? Maybe try there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't something like that happen to the deadpool game too?