Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Back during its run, Kramer was the sitcom version of a hipster, which Elaine made fun on him for. It is a nebulous term that can mean whatever you want it to mean and depending when and where you are saying it will mean something else.

But that ties with what glowing-fish was saying about marketing to teens and 20somethings at a brand level. JC Penny could try to market to the naughties version of hipsters by stocking flannel and/or plaid poo poo without radically departing from their established identity, but how much would that actually bring in, and how well can some of these chains continously pivot to chase consumer dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Thinking about malls and conspicuous consumption, you have places like The Galleria in Houston which attracts significant international customers. For The Galleria it is the wealthy and elite from Latin America, mostly Mexico, who'll fly in once or twice a year to be seen conspicuously consuming for a few days before flying back home. Though I don't know how strongly that trend is holding up these days, it used to be such a regularly occurring thing, dropping enough money into the local economy, that it'd get mentioned every now and then in the local news.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Texas has the problem, though, where part of the assessment value derives from the value of neighboring properties. So if you drop your liability in an assessment then the building one over can nownuse your lowered liability to drop theres and then you can use their drop to lower yours andbit creates a fast race to the bottom for tax liabilities for those who can afford to play the game. And this includes commercial properties as well as residential. The Texas Tribune had a good article on it a while back.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
While I agree the over priced wedding needs to gently caress right off, it'd still be lovely if the already paid for dresses aren't delivered on.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Vaping a milk and cream juice to accompany your artisinal cereal really opens the pallette and expresses the nuanced and full bodied flavors of the cereal while accentuating the juice nicely. You should really look to pair it with a 2016 or 2017 vintage.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
East Texas: some places managed to stay open on reduced hours during the whole event, some were closed throughout and some got royally hosed. Some are still hosed to this day though most are back to normal-ish even if they may have some outstanding repairs to do. All of this only applies to urban/greater metro areas not :airquote:rural:airquote: places.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

8 bucks an hour is way too little to care about some idiot who did his monthly grocery shopping at 6 in the morning

Paid enough to show up, not enough to care.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The night crew isn't there primarily for the customers. Expect regular service during regular service hours and the convenience of limited service but still able to get in the door and do shopping during the rest of the day. I don't see why this is a hard problem to get.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SimonCat posted:

I said I do shift work, not that I work at a grocery store.

If a customer asked you to mildly to majorly (depending on where the till is) break company policy for their own convenience in a way that'd absolutely get you punished, would you? Because that is basically the situation here.

Depending on how loving with a till could throw accounting off for the day, that ckuld even end up with the guy fired depending on the store.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, that is not relevant to the original example where policy is clearly not that.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
As another customer I'd be pretty annoyed if I was going through self checkout and some guy was demanding that the employee in charge of all self checkouts scan all of their stuff for them in the self checkout lane, if I understood you correctly.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SimonCat posted:

It's an illustration that the original poster was not being unreasonable. That expecting a human cashier is not some way out in left field example of personal service only available at the highest end shops.

If it were the same company, but different location, it'd hold merit. Of course different companies will have different policies and compete on those differences. No one is saying that the idea of having a checkout lane open at that time is obscene extravagance. But when it is very clearly not that particular stores policy it is a bit absurd to get prissy when they refuse to cater to that whim.

These ideas are not so new to retail that it shluld be a surprise to anyone that there will be stores like this.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

site location, demographic analyzation, product ordering and throughput, operation efficiency, employee management, consumer satisfaction,

you know, all the poo poo that requires a college degree and that the parent company doesn't want to deal with

why, what do you do in your job?

None od this requires a college degree. The janitor cleaning poo poo off the toilet can be trained to do those tasks. You are not special.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

man i guess its so easy you guys must be on track to start your own successful business

It isn't that you don't work for the money you get, it's that you have a highly entitled sense of self and think you are somehow above the people busting their rear end to make you more money. You also seem to think you are uniquely qualified and have some special knowledge about this poo poo when really just about anyone can be trained up to do the same tasks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The rebuilt ikea south of Seattle has an interesting take on the whole maze idea. Now they have the individual items on one floor and all of the showrooms on another. If you know that you want a spatula you can just go to the kitchen wares and get it without having to meander through the showrooms at all.

That's not how all their stores are? Everyone I've been to is showroom on the second floor and individual items by showroom area and self serve warehouse and check out on the first.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

karthun posted:

Its not going to look good because the stain and varnish are all 50 years old. That's why you strip and restain the furniture. Then it all matches and looks good.

People are absolutely not going to strip and stain their furniture they got after hounding auctions, eBay, garage sales, estate sales to try and save some maybe potential money when they are done with this process.

They are going to go to a store and buy the furniture when they need it and be done*.

*some assembly probably required

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Pizza is a lot like Chinese food in the sense that America doesnt really include it as a concept when it comes to anything other than cheap and quick. So, generally, the market for high end or more upscale or even just more robust options never pans out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The one that closed on S West Loop in Houston from the linked tweet on the last page was across the street from a Wal*Mart that opened within the last year and had bren competing with a Costco that is about 5 minutes away and has been there for less time than the Sam's Club but still there for at least 5 years, but I don't think more than 10, just don't remember exactly when it was built.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You would have been able to go home with that guide of you had the 10c the first time. There you would have been able to play NBA JAM with the Bill Clinton cheat. Inspired, you'd pursue a lifetime in politics where you challenged Biden as the youngest person voted to Congress.

Instead? You post comments on a dead internet comedy forum about companies that are dead and dying, just like you.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Pretty sure Blizzard, and the other publiahers like them, will keep it up at least just for their collector's editions because those come with figures and other things. But the rest of it will continue to be online only.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah; hence why Dallas is a better choice

Dallas is never the right choice.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Lol a Yankee trying to call out the South as the part of the country with a bad food heritage/tradition.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Vietnamese-Creole fusion is is worth the cost of living in reclaimed swampland on the Gulf. That poo poo is straight amazing. Same with Viet-Tex-Mex.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, and I say this as a Brit who loves his proper tea and iced tea, I'm pretty sure that "sweet tea" is really just sugar water (emphasis on sugar) with brown dye in it.

Well, you're not wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Check out these guys from North Carolina and see if you can understand them better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7MvtQp2-UA

Or try your ear at the Tangier Island accent.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This is the dumbest derail.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Worse than the Fishmech Classic “but what is a city, really?”

I actually thought about it before saying that. Fishmesh's derails are all dumb, but usually get lost in the weeds on a tangent from a salient point because he just can't resist himself.

This is just dumb. I was interested in checking out that translation though, and this dumb derail killed it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Is that how we got the 7 Up game?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Norway also has slow TV or whatever it is called, where a show is 10 hours of raw footage of a thing happening. So Couch makes sense.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s not even a new thing. Tons of people that don’t care about cars listened to car talk. Things often have themes where the actual draw is the host, it’s not even a new idea.

Half of every Top Gear/Grand Tour fan I know watches it because it is three dudes doing stupid things in cars and occasionally they may review something

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Depending on brand and style, I am anywhere from an 11e to 13e and buying shoes in perosn sucks and basically impossible to get right in one go online.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Vertical integration (and horizontal integration) are rising to the point where it may be good to address them under anti-trust law, yes. To use a comparison, they didn't break up Ma Bell to let her reform under different divisions on paper.

Nah, they let that happen under a series of mergers and acquisitions.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I've worked in AT&T's support call center and then worked for a hosting company as well where I did online and phone support. Whenever their policies were focused on, "so long as you fix their problem or figure out (and document with good, actionable notes) why this needs to be escalated, we don't care so much about your contact volume," everyone was about as happy and pleasant as you could reasonably expect while working at a call center.

When management would occasionally get a bug up their rear end about volume, everyone got miserable and the quality of support plummeted dramatically.

Having worked enough customer support jobs, it becomes pretty obvious when management is getting in the way of core functions.

Turns out when you train people well enough, pay them decently enough and then give them enough autonomy to do the job you hired them for, they do their jobs on average pretty good.

I'll take my PhD in business now.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The original copyright was for 15 years, I think. We could set it to 20 years, with the option of two active renewals for 60 years total coverage and then it is forced into the public domain. Failure to renew one of those two times forces it into the public domain as well.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lambert posted:

20 years after death seems reasonable. But even 60 years after death would be an enormous improvement compared to now, where it's essentially unlimited because copyright gets extended every few years.

20 years after publication or 60 years after publication. 60 years after death isn't far off from what we actually have now.

Death of creator shouldn't matter. Except if they are dead they can't file for renewal.

And I was being generous above with two renewals. I'd rather it be a single 20 year copyright that you can extend once and then forced into public domain. So 40 years maximum coverage.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The misc section includes exercise and travel and is the largest segment. Really shows how full of poo poo they are.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think pretty much all professional jobs end up being significant down time. Like, it's good and funny to apply "you got time to lean, you got time to clean" against CEOs because they are so rich, but I am pretty sure most people in this thread are posting from work too.

Yeah I am/do, but I don't pretend to be some work god while poo poo posting. Also unlike CEOs, I legit have the odd couple days here and there where I have an unbroken stream of work where I am doing 12-14 hours and I usually also work at least one weekend a month during odd hours when we have maintenance windows. But during the work week there is a lot of filler time spread throughout.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Maybe? I don't really know your job. But I bet if someone put a camera on you you won't have a 12-14 hour unbroken stream of work either. (or, again, I don't know your job, so you might specifically, but it'd be statistically not the norm). Like, CEOs are definitely bad but it's pretty normal for most jobs to count numbers of hours with all the other stuff in the middle included.

Those days are not the norm even for me and are mostly when something fails spectacularly within my sphere of control. I am not counting times that I leave my desk for the restroom or the office kitchenette to get water or heat food so it isn't an actual literal unbroken stream of eyes on screen, but since I never leave the office and am never more than five minutes away from my desk I am going to count it.

Days like that just happen sometimes when you work in tech.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Man if we want to talk about bullshit makework to give the illusion of being busy, consider a job where you mainly get rated on 99.99% yearly server uptime and you've designed things properly to meet that. In addition to that, you can't make changes except during clearly defined off hour maintenance windows.

Edit: AKA, when you did everything right and there is nothing more than a few hours a week maintenance work, "what are we paying you for." When things go wrong, "what are we paying you for."

Dameius fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Sometimes I spend all day sitting in front of an automated test frame and I have to click a dialog box that randomly shows up when the software glitches out. So I click a box that says "OK" maybe once every ten minutes. If I don't do that the test won't continue.

Today is one of those days. It owns.

Aka podcast and YouTube day.