Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Welcome to Let's (reluctantly) Play Major/Minor.

This game is terrible on every level imaginable. Not because it's furry. In fact, being a piece of furry media doesn't even register with this game. No, this game is awful because it does everything wrong, even things you didn't realize could be done wrong.The writing is terrible. The art assets are used incompetently. The game is programmed like crap. The dev failed to use the genre in any meaningful way. The plot is made up and the choices don't matter.

Anything more that could be said about this game would spoil the journey. Just sit back, relax, and try to expect the worst, because I promise this game will exceed expectations on all counts.

:pcgaming: FANART! :pcgaming:

by PoptartsNinja

by Metaligatr

by blankd

by Fish Noise

by Geomancing

by Ritznit

by XavierGenisi

by Axqu

by Orange Fluffy Sheep

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Update 1: Ark Asylum

Update 2: Topical Tiger

Update 3: You Darn Ferrets Nowadays With Your Tablets and Pokemons and Butt Piercings And

Update 4: Limo Languishing

Update 5: The Worst Arcade Ever

Update 6: That's How Quantum Mechanics Works, Right?

Update 7: Text Therapy

Update 8: Death of the Author

Update 9: The Not-Velvet Room

Update 10: We Can't Stop Here, This is Assassin Country

Update 11: Questions. Weird Questions.

Update 12: Myth-o-matical

Update 13: Beat me Righty Eight to the Bar (with special guest Curus Keel!)

Update 14: Shock the Hobo (with special guest inthesto!)

Update 15: Drunk Time Magic

Update 16: A Low Bar

Update 17: A Good King

Update 18: Basic Math

Update 19: The Greatest Company on Earth

Update 20: Life After Dumb

Update 21: The Update Where Singe Goes Crazy

Update 22: "Professionals"

Update 23: Max Power

Update 24: Security Concerns

Update 25: Evil Wears Rope

Update 26: Heaven Needed a Bad Guitarist

Update 27: Blackmail?

Update 28: The Choice™

Update 29: Bang Bang Soda Pop

Update 30: Introducing the Hot Topic Twins

Update 31: Trumping Tiger, Hidden Rabies

Update 32: Your Right Hand Comes Off?

Update 33: The World's Funniest Bloodbath

Update 34: Offscreen Downfall

Update 35: Revelations of Moses

Update 36: A Canadian Love Story

Update 37: A Tale of Two (Dumb) Brothers

Update 38: Midnight to Nowhere

Update 39: Dueling Dates

Update 40: Hoodiedump

Update 41: Slavic Shuffle

Update 42: Image of Perfection

Update 43: All Bad Things...

Update 44: Bad Ending

Update 45: Good Ending

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 4, 2017

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

God damnit, Blarghalt

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

This is the first thing we see when the game's booted up. Already feeling queasy? Good, hold on to that feeling.

The game opens with our unnamed protagonist reminding us that people die in space. I have no idea what the player character is supposed to look like, so to portray the main character I'll just use this gear I found in the game's assets:

The game tells us for the second time that people can't survive in space. Then we start doing what I can only assume are squats while we try to figure out where the hell we are.

This is the first character we meet in the game. If you think he looks stupid? You've seen nothing.

First and foremost -- I require a name. Something to enter into the annals of time. We must ensure you aren't forgotten.

Considering the subject material at hand, this felt appropriate.

Rabies, hm...? It has a nice ring to it. I'm sure you'll be remembered.

My name, you ask? I'm afraid that's not important. No one will remember me after this.

Your presence here portends a grand fate. Not just for you -- but for the universe, too. This is the purpose of those who come here.

To that end, what else do they call you? Your surname is just as important. And out of curiosity -- I must know.

Not to be confused with the McCutts, McNutts, or McButts.

Rabies McFutts, hmm? Very well, The pleasure is mine.

Man, it is really easy to pledge your eternal soul to vaguely ominous deities these days.

But do not worry -- you're not a slave. Your service rewards you with a power. Something that most would kill to achieve.

Others must bend to the rules of the world. But for you -- the opposite rings true. You are no longer a victim of circumstance.

When you make a choice, reality will bend. Your every whim will fall to your lap. The universe now accommodates -you-.

This is the power he hasn't explained in the slightest.

Oh, it appears that you're fading away. Do you long to return to Earth? I understand, there is fear of the unknown.

I will find you again soon. And perhaps then, we can talk a little more. Don't be scared Rabies, I mean no harm.

By the way, here's something I learned the hard way: this game's save function is busted. You can make dialogue go by pressing Z, X, or Enter, but if you save your game, only Enter will record the save. If you try to save using Z or X, it'll make the sound, and you'll be none the wiser until you come back later and discover the save didn't record.

Get used to Rabies not understanding what's going on at any point of the game.

It definitely wasn't a dream, I know that for sure. When you wake up from a dream, you know it wasn't real. You laugh it off -- continue on with your life. That's not the sensation I was feeling right now.

I try to ground myself in reality. I take in my surroundings -- the noises, and people. I focus on my destination: Tokyo, Japan. I feel myself calm down, slowly but surely.

The anxiety starts to replace itself with excitement. Though, man would argue what the difference is. Who didn't dream of going to Tokyo in their lifetime? It had to be on the bucket list of millions of people.

And it was the first of many places I'd visit. On what would surely be the best year of my life. I sit there, holding the armrest with a fierce grip. It wouldn't be long until I figured out how wrong I was.

Welcome to Major/Minor! I have such sights to show you! :unsmigghh:

Pop quiz: when's the last time you bought an energy drink because a pop idol endorsed it?

If you noticed that 'idols' is missing an apostrophe, you've just started the world's most frustrating game of eagle eye. I actually won't comment on typos unless they're just really obvious, but you can expect to see a lot more from here on out.

By the way, Klace is the name of the developer of this game. That's right, the dev self-inserted himself into his own game as a world-famous pop idol.

So when I say I picked up something of an addiction...? That might actually be the understatement of the year. The odds of winning were literally in the billions. So it took a fair amount of chugging in order to win.

I ask myself if it was worth it, but that's subjective. At least that's what I told myself in-between jitters. Being one of the "lucky two" came with its consequences. That's what the media called the prospective winners.

Before I can continue thinking -- I'm interrupted. Someone walking down the aisle has a nasty fall. They brace their descent and land on the seat beside me.

That takes a special kind of skill, doesn't it? He quickly rises to his feet, wearing a look of panic.

This is Kila. You will learn to hate him.

I think I preferred the typo-ridden solitude.

First time on a train...Don't know what came over me! I just got dizzy, and then -- bam!

(Sounds like someone has a bad case of vertigo.)

I apologize again. Sorry for intruding, I really am!

(I try explaining to him that everything is fine. But he seems to think he's commited [sic] an awful crime.)

One of the deer furries ran out in front of the train and got run over, so it stops. We're also made aware of the one of the game's "features", which are "choices" that "affect" the story. For the most part I'm going to be making the decisions myself, but for a few (one in particular) I'll have you guys vote on them.

Oh no, what was that!? Are we going to die...?

(I can't help but snicker at that. He's clearly one of those "catastrophic" thinkers.)

Remember what I said about you learning to hate this guy?

He goes to rummage through his bag. A bit of a bookworm too, isn't he? I decide to just sit back and wait it out. In situations like this, there was nothing else to do. I try to think of how I could pass the time. It might be a while until we're mobile again.

I can't use my phone for anything other than texts. The data charges while abroad were a death sentence! But everybody back home would already be asleep. There was quite the time difference at play here.

My phone vibrates, and I go to look at it. Almost as if it knew I was thinking about it.

Meet Rook, whose entire character essentially boils down to not having any patience. For now, it's best to say we won't keep him waiting.

Also, most "choices" in this game basically boil down to having one obvious and one wrong answer, and then the game immediately tells you what choice was the right one.

I put my phone back in my pocket and recline in my seat. I wasn't exactly sure how Rook was related to Klace. But he had to be pretty high up there...

I was only given concrete details last week. I thought there'd be limos and media coverage. But I was quickly told that this wasn't the case. I was getting picked up by a regular guy named Rook.

I wonder if he would go full-on cliche...With a large piece of cardboard that says "Rabies".

Oh, man...I really hope we'll be okay. My train rides are usually incident free!

(Usually? But he said that this was his first time? He seems to contradict himself without realizing it.)

Well, as fun as awkward silences are...We should probably get to know each other. Just in case we're stuck here forever.

You can call me Kila! I'm here to-Well, I'm here to see some friends! What about you? What brings you to Tokyo?

It's nice to meet another English speaker. I only speak Japanese at a pre-school level.

I don't think Klace really understands how sweepstakes work. Why is the Japanese media gonna care about two contest winners?

We come to a second choice, and it's best we don't reveal why we're in Tokyo. I'm attempting to steer us towards the "true" ending, but I'll probably end up showing both anyway.

(I decide to stick to my morals and not break the NDA. It was probably for the best. Who -wants- a lawsuit? If I did let out my secret, and word got back to Rook? Well, I'm sure there'd be hell to pay.)

Oh, you can't say? That's cool, I guess. I'm just here to visit my brother. Nothing to hide on my end, really.

I thought he said he was here to meet friends? Now he's here to meet his brother? That seems odd. Nothing to hide, huh? I feel bad that I can't tell him. He clearly realizes that I'm hiding something.

Ughhhhhhh. This is Kila, folks. :gonk:

NO.

NO NO NO NO.

gently caress you

Yeah, I'm the bad guy for not wanting to entertain your creepy maid fetish.

Before I can continue talking -- the train moves again. And the passengers are shaken up by the sudden movement. Kila beams a wide smile, as if this was a major victory.

Wow, I was scared for nothing. That didn't really last long at all!

I hope he has fun wandering around those Maid Cafes. They may not be my thing, but he sure seems excited. Personally, I was more excited to meet Rook. I wonder what he'd be like.

More importantly, I wonder how he'd treat me...He certainly seems like an interesting guy. For a moment, I'm glad I didn't break my NDA. I don't think I would've been able to face him if I did.

I find it odd that I'm analyzing my previous actions. As if I could have changed what I said and what I did. Perhaps it was because of that weird vision I had. "I can control my own destiny", or something like that.

What a ridiculous thing to comprehend. If I could control my destiny -- I wouldn't be here. I'd probably be off somewhere living a life of luxury. But there's no use thinking like that, so I stop.

Rabies suddenly has a heart attack, and the background inverts colors because that's honestly the best effect the dev could come up with.

I start to panic. I go to focus on my breathing, like before...But -- I can't breathe, either! I sense someone behind me. And then I feel it. That hand on my shoulder again.

We'll get a name for this guy later, but I generally like to refer to him as Furry Outsider.

Terribly sorry for earlier. Our meeting seems to have been cut short. Perhaps you desired to return to Earth. After all -- the universe bends to you, now. Am I that frightening? Either way, I sense conflict within you. You think what happened earlier was a dream.

Yet now, your "dream" stands before you. I am real, the Ark is real. And the power you have? Well yes -- it's real, too. I am not here to lecture you anymore. Your words and actions are your own. As is the power I have given you.

However. You -will- be asked to help me. You are not receiving this power for free. But I will let you run free for today. When I see you again tonight? I will tell you -everything-. And then, your journey will begin.

This game is going to kill me.

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 10, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So how many glowing tattoos does your fursona have OP? Do they wear rainbow contacts or are they just naturally psychedelic? How many different spectacularly twee hoodies do they wear? Do they dress in layers? I have a hard time believing one hoodie could be in any way sufficient to show the depth of character possessed by someone so special.

Come on OP.

SHARE.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Trust me, I have nothing but contempt for this game. This is gonna be a good ol' fashioned "point and laugh" LP.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm not really that keen on the reflexive furry bashing that usually happens on SA, but Jesus Christ. I am actively recoiling from the screen here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There were big flash sales for RPG Maker on Steam that were long enough before this game. That, and though it's free and open-source, Ren'py games are apparently comically easy to pirate. Think those reasons are why they picked RPG Maker as an engine?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ground

loving

Floor

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:psypop: There are no words.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

quote:

???:
Hello, and welcome -- to The Ark.
It's like bad writing condensed into its purest, most lethal form. Every loving letter is as cliche and uninspired as physically possible. It's almost impressive.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I remember that Steam was actively recommending me this game for a while, and I was wondering how bad it was. I sure as hell wasn't going to visit its store page or Steam would have mistaken that for interest and shown me even more ads for this and other garbage, but thankfully this LP should satisfy my curiosity.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

SSNeoman posted:

Ground

loving

Floor

I think we're in a sub-basement, and I see shovels leaning against the wall.

We've already got mysterious magical weeby furries and the annoying sidekick(?) five minutes into the game, Jesus Christ

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Archenteron posted:

I think we're in a sub-basement, and I see shovels leaning against the wall.

We've already got mysterious magical weeby furries and the annoying sidekick(?) five minutes into the game, Jesus Christ

If this is ever over, we'll find ourselves in core of the earth

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I'm very, very concerned.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am so in. TOOT TOOT

I'd like to point out for the record that, for some reason, the actual title is "Major\Minor" with a backslash.

Hope nobody expects that to be explained.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Furry Outsider compares unfavorably to Dishonored Outsider. Also, there are too many squirrels and not enough whales. 1/10 buy Dishonored instead.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

:allears: Ooooh boy are we in for a ride here.

This is one of those games where the awfulness just ramps up and keeps going on a steep upward slope.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

From what I've seen so far, this game makes my choice of VN looks positively exquisite.

I'm keen to see how far down the rabbit hole this game goes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why is this happening

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

God speed. I couldn't stand to read anymore by the time I got halfway through the first update.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So far all I know about the plot is that the guy who made this really liked Persona 4.

I remember seeing this pop up on steam a while back, and all I remember about it was there being something about the dev deleting negative reviews/forum posts on the games steam page.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

good luck. we're all counting on you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

gently caress it, bookmarked. I want to see the descent into the worst possible writing imaginable.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Black Mage Knight posted:

So far all I know about the plot is that the guy who made this really liked Persona 4.

Yeah, but "Furry Outsider" seems much less trustworthy than Igor. He's giving you undefined "power" directly, and it's obvious he plans to collect very soon.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It took me a moment to process whether that was a wandering nipple or just specular shine on the op image.

Mysticblade posted:

Are you? Are you really?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

This makes me angry, but I also want to see it end and carnage it causes on the way.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I remember that Steam was actively recommending me this game for a while, and I was wondering how bad it was. I sure as hell wasn't going to visit its store page or Steam would have mistaken that for interest and shown me even more ads for this and other garbage, but thankfully this LP should satisfy my curiosity.

Likewise. I nearly physically recoiled when I saw the banner in Steam.

This is looking to be quite a magical train wreck, and I look forward to how stupid it's gonna get.

My sympathies for your Steam recommendations in the future, OP.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I chuckled when I saw people posting screenshots of this one in the Steam thread so I'm gonna be on the ground floor of this. :allears:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9k_THJDCeU&t=93s

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
WHY

Seriously though, this looks like it's shaping up to be quite the ride :allears:

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler
Somebody is going to buy this game because of you.

You monster.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Blarghalt posted:

By the way, Klace is the name of the developer of this game. That's right, the dev self-inserted himself into his own game as a world-famous pop idol.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that every character in the game is an insert of somebody's fursona.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mysticblade posted:

That... could be a very unwisely chosen metaphor given the subject matter.

Anyhow, this seems fantastically awful. I'd just like to point out the amazing pseudonyms these people use: art by "PawziClawzi", music by "Fox Amoore".

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What really gets me is that they used friggin' RPGMaker for a visual novel. I mean, what the hell? Ren'py's free, right? You have to actively pay for or pirate RPGMaker.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
these testimonials on steam

quote:

“This is the most beautifully crafted story in almost any game I have ever played.”
Registered Fur

“In terms of storytelling and resolution, think Mass Effect with a better ending.”
Lucien

“Something that'll have an emotional impact unlike any other visual novel.”
Cold Blooded Vixen

why am i not surprised that all of their names are a little bit skeezy

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

C'mon you guys. Apparently this is the Mass Effect of furry visual novels made with RPG maker. This game will toy with our emotions and bring us past what we know as "humanity". Please respect it appropriately.

I eagerly await an explanation of these mystical powers that this cog wheel steampunk-fursona has and what Blarghalt can do with them. My bet is: very little.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

No_talent posted:

I eagerly await an explanation of these mystical powers that this cog wheel steampunk-fursona has and what Blarghalt can do with them. My bet is: very little.
My money is on "you are the only one with free will, we are all characters in a game" as the big reveal. Furry Outsider is probably the author's self insert character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Black Mage Knight posted:

You have no idea how derivative this loving game is.

None.

• Locked thread