Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Maple Leaf posted:

That's a Keyblade

I think it's in Birth By Sleep or one of the other prequel/interquel/I don't even know (the series was fully up its own rear end at this point; I remember when it was a Disney/Final Fantasy crossover) games where there is an Original the Character antagonist with an evil Keyblade. An evil gear-themed Keyblade.

Odds on Kila coming back somehow? Life, and deeply insane plot convolutions, finds a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Rahonavis posted:

Odds on Kila coming back somehow? Life, and deeply insane plot convolutions, finds a way.
I expect Rabies will gain The Power and bring everyone back to life as if nothing happened.

My criterion is "Which resolution would make this the biggest waste of time?" and it was either that or everything is a dream.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Mechanical Ape posted:

My criterion is "Which resolution would make this the biggest waste of time?"

Any of them, I should think.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Mechanical Ape posted:

I expect Rabies will gain The Power and bring everyone back to life as if nothing happened.

My criterion is "Which resolution would make this the biggest waste of time?" and it was either that or everything is a dream.

If you look at the reviews it's clear that folks were complaining about "you start by being given unknown powers so the ending is sure to be that you learn how to use them and fix everything" even while only chapter 1 existed. Which explains the "lol j/k, you don't have any powers really" that we just encountered - he wrote a backpedal into a later chapter.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Wrote" is a pretty charitable way of describing it

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Data Graham posted:

"Wrote" is a pretty charitable way of describing it

ejaculated then

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
'Vomited' would be better. I'm partial to 'shat'.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

'Vomited' would be better. I'm partial to 'shat'.

It takes effort to poo poo, and it sometimes comes out in a neat, coiled package. You're on the right track, though; I'd go with "sharted."

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

hyphz posted:

If you look at the reviews it's clear that folks were complaining about "you start by being given unknown powers so the ending is sure to be that you learn how to use them and fix everything" even while only chapter 1 existed. Which explains the "lol j/k, you don't have any powers really" that we just encountered - he wrote a backpedal into a later chapter.

That's a low-quality backpedal, but at least he's responding to criticism/feedback.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

RA Rx posted:

That's a low-quality backpedal, but at least he's responding to criticism/feedback.

"But I thought you said I had magical snowflake powers, space dog man?!"

"Nah, I was just fuckin' with ya."

"Uguuuuuuuu"

Honestly, I probably would have forgiven him for the deception too, if only because it was pretty funny.

Edit: assuming for the moment this wasnt written by a total hack, even if the logical conclusion was that they master their magic anime powers,there's still plenty of room to put in interesting stuff about the challenges and quandries that would come with learning the ropes, and the increased perspective and possibly moral outlook that would come with such mastery. Choosing instead to go with "oh wait, tee hee, nevermind" as a response to people anticipating this conclusion, while amusing, is at best a weak-kneed attempt to spite the audience for figuring the plot out, and at worst a straight up admission that the author lacks the talent to do anything meaningful within that narrative constraint.

Meh

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 14, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it would be neat if the bait-and-switch were actually a plot point and not having powers were to end up being meaningful in some important way, like the powers carry a terrible price and "winning" without them is cool and good.

But we would see inklings of that at this point if it were true.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
I bet the power was in us all along

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I mean it would be neat if the bait-and-switch were actually a plot point and not having powers were to end up being meaningful in some important way, like the powers carry a terrible price and "winning" without them is cool and good.

But we would see inklings of that at this point if it were true.

Has anything meaningful happened in this game so far? Has there been a single plot point that the game has actually done anything with before blowing its load and getting bored/forgetting about?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Hammurabi posted:

Has anything meaningful happened in this game so far? Has there been a single plot point that the game has actually done anything with before blowing its load and getting bored/forgetting about?

We killed the worst character! That was pretty meaningful :woop:

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We killed the worst character! That was pretty meaningful :woop:

You know as well as I do that he's going to be alive and well in Terra and the game will act like it never happened (with the possible exception of a single convo where it tries to guilt trip us about it).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You guys I think we're supposed to be experiencing ~pathos~ and/or :airquote: feels:airquote: at this point

You monsters

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Data Graham posted:

You guys I think we're supposed to be experiencing ~pathos~ and/or :airquote: feels:airquote: at this point

You monsters

I seem to have lost my ticket to the Feels Train. I wonder if Rook can pull it up for me on his magic iPad?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

RA Rx posted:

I don't know. I mean, yeah, "the power was in you all along" is kind of a cliche, but there's nothing really wrong with it. It's a perfectly serviceable way to conclude a story and it works better than pretty much anything else that's happened so far in the game (precisely because it's familiar, I guess).

Having the powers actually be nothing might be Klace's response to criticism, but it's more of a "nuh-uh, I did so come up with this myself instead of copying it off TVTropes!" than an actual interest in telling a better story.

Of course he can get away with whatever he wants here because nobody, even Rabies, has really shown an interest in the supposed power in the first place.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Data Graham posted:

You monsters

Joy is a feeling

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

I got bored at work and drew my own interpretation of Rabies.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Axqu posted:

I got bored at work and drew my own interpretation of Rabies.

I very much like the mechanical raptor claws and the hissing, but the flower pot seems out of place. Unless it has a dead, wilted black rose in it, or if it's a completely normal stem but with like a mechanical skull where the flower should be. I could get behind a mechanical skull flower pot.

Or maybe at the end of the stem there's another cogface, identical to Rabies but much smaller.

Also, if we find out Kila is alive on Terra I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm barely holding on as it is. This game has been an absolute ordeal and I don't even know what those albino cats are supposed to be. Did we know Velasquez had kids? Where were they hanging out this whole time? Seems kind of late to be dropping more extraneous garbage characters on us.

It is late in the game, right? This game will end...right...?

Right...?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Right...?

Last I heard, we were in chapter 6.

Out of 10. :negative:

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

Cathode Raymond posted:

I very much like the mechanical raptor claws and the hissing, but the flower pot seems out of place. Unless it has a dead, wilted black rose in it, or if it's a completely normal stem but with like a mechanical skull where the flower should be. I could get behind a mechanical skull flower pot.

Or maybe at the end of the stem there's another cogface, identical to Rabies but much smaller.

Also, if we find out Kila is alive on Terra I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm barely holding on as it is. This game has been an absolute ordeal and I don't even know what those albino cats are supposed to be. Did we know Velasquez had kids? Where were they hanging out this whole time? Seems kind of late to be dropping more extraneous garbage characters on us.

Right...?

Thank you!! Literally the only reason for the flower pot is that I work at a hardware store and I saw a flower pot in a customer's cart. It seemed stupid enough for Rabies. Mechanical skull flower pot... is this going to turn into a Major/Minor and Warhammer 40K crossover? My favorite is the identical cogface. Maybe that's how Rabies' species reproduces: a little Rabies grows in a flowerpot, a la Groot. Baby Rabies.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat no loving way. There's no way this nonsense can be stretched out for that much longer. What even is there to expand upon here?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Seyser Koze posted:

I don't know. I mean, yeah, "the power was in you all along" is kind of a cliche, but there's nothing really wrong with it. It's a perfectly serviceable way to conclude a story and it works better than pretty much anything else that's happened so far in the game (precisely because it's familiar, I guess).

Having the powers actually be nothing might be Klace's response to criticism, but it's more of a "nuh-uh, I did so come up with this myself instead of copying it off TVTropes!" than an actual interest in telling a better story.

Yes. A much better response would be to have Rabies discover his powers earlier, so they became a known quantity as something that would not instantly solve everything.

Like others, I'm betting there's another U-turn coming...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KataraniSword posted:

Are you loving kidding me?! Maybe you missed a chapter number here or there- God knows I've been skimming this poo poo.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

How can fatigue be taking over when you're already asleep?

Don't you hate it when the mayor throws you in prison and tortures you for several days straight? :rolleyes:

It's kind of messed up that Terra's in such bad shape that this statement is actually kind of believable.

Also, I just love how this secret basement is still shallow enough to allow sunlight in. You'd think if you were building a giant concentration camp under your house you'd go whole hog, but nope.

Err--No, that's not what I meant.

You should learn to word things better. You think you'd know, being a politician. Or is Riley not here to pull your strings?

Caylen. There's no need to mock me. I'm willing to pay for your services. I need protection. This has gone too far.

"Coincidentally, people that pay a lot really deserve protection. Weird, huh?"

You locked us up in here. And you continue to let us starve. Kabu is on the verge of death, you know!

By Riley's orders!

I don't know why, but for some reason the anime hair on Plair looks particularly out of place. I mean human hair looks stupid on any of these characters, but for him Klace might as well have pasted super saiyan cut on his head.

Please understand, Caylen...It's not Riley's orders that bring me now. It's my defiance...My own free will.

I know what needs to be done. I must step down from this election. Please...

If Caylen showed signs of any actual training, this is the part where he'd grab Plair through the bars and hold him hostage with a shiv he made out of teeth and rat feces.

I want you to guarantee my safety. And I want you to end Riley's life...

I'm not an Assassin, Plair. You can't pay me to kill somebody...

But Riley is a threat to my safety! You are paid to -ensure- that safety. Caylen -- I fail to see the difference.

You're still a murderer. You just validate it in your own way. I didn't come here to argue semantics.

...You can keep your money. The payment will be our freedom.

I can't protect you from behind this cell. And you can't just leave Kabu to die.

Why didn't he bring the key down with him?

But I'm holding you to your word. If I start to doubt you -- I'll kill you.

How do you stop to think when you're standing in one place? :psyduck:

Wait...I feel you've come to terms with death. A mercenary can't expect to live forever.

If I doubt you, -Kabu- will die. It will pain me, but it's necessary. I need a guarantee of your compliance.

Watch your tongue, Plair. Your life will be in -my- hands. You don't want to take advantage of me.

Oh, but I think I do.

Has Riley already seized the building or something?

This is goddamn hilarious.

:trumppop: "I really need you to protect me at all costs."

:v: "I need weapons to do that."

:trumppop: "Too bad!"

Why does Caylen give a crap about Kabu in the first place? Why is the player supposed to?

Also, we're in chapter seven now. God these names are lazy.

Keep in mind, all Armstrong Inc munitions are still programmed to explode upon sensing a nearby UN weapons inspector.

At least there's nobody around he can text his life story to.

It was obvious. Just for the wrong reasons.

Is Rook like one of those pandas that's startled by their own farts?

This isn't a big thing, but judging by his character art the supposedly super-important tablet that Rook never takes his eyes off of looks to be about the size of his hand.

Maxine being always right is actually a corporate slogan. Maxine's Always Right, Because You Can't Afford to be Wrong. :buddy:

Why couldn't Klace just write 'broken in' or 'heavily damaged'? What purpose does putting on both have other than padding?

Believe it or not, there's actually a moment later on in the game that will make you guys reconsider having voted for Kila. That's right, Rook is even more unlikable than he already is.

I assume Rabies disappears or something when he goes to Terra, so wouldn't Max notice this? If Rabies is gone, what disincentive does she have to not blow the place sky-high?

Singe has ripped the wallpaper off the walls and is currently eating the glue underneath. He's going through some stuff.

Send Max a strongly-worded letter, that'll show her.

Oh right, I almost forgot Jade existed.

"The aftermath of tears". That's a sentence Klace typed and went 'Yup, no further action needed.'

I can't be the only one who sees Jade's expression stuck in a permanent :smugdog:-face.

Rook would still be around if we'd chose to spare Kila. Just not in a form(s) ready for conversation.

No, it's true, it's just your life kind of sucked.

Such as his robot tablet friend, and the very nice Best Buy employee that sold him said tablet.

Wouldn't her claws just sink into his flesh at this point?

Like uh

You know what Rook? What matters is that you have great taste in tattoos.

Can we really blame Rook that much for wanting to spend as little time interacting with the people in this furry hell as possible?

I really, really want to see Rook attempt to tackle Max or something only to get suplexed.

You could just jump out a window, Rook. Nobody's stopping you.

Do what? Raid the deviantart armor store? Too late for that!

Why did Nagi expect Velasquez to be unconscious? All he did in the previous scene was push him.

Only in my wildest dreams does the Ecto-1 crash through the wall and run them bother over.

Unless -- you plan to use their energy? Is that why you've been housing so many?

I've heard about your rule, Father. You lie to the world -- playing an immortal. I could kill you right now if I wanted to.

Then why haven't you...?

I want you to watch this world crumble. I want to see your hope wither away. It's -your- turn to be used as a pawn.

This isn't the time for vengeance, Nagi! Please -- just listen to me. I know that you have reason within you!

I like how Nami, the female character of the duo, is just a complete nonissue in this cutscene because 1.) Klace is lazy and 2.) he could never figure out how to have more than two characters onscreen at once.

You know how many worlds are out there. Each living a solitary existence. What if we could all be united...?

You mean the Exodus Project? I've heard of your failure, Father. Why would this time be any different?

Failure? I'm not so sure about that. Nobody knew my true intent. I assure you -- the project succeeded.

What?

Yes -- and now it's time for me to reap. I've waited so long for this day, Nagi. The galaxy can finally unite as one entity.

This probably wasn't Klace's intention, but Nagi has a point. Velasquez would be throwing the trash of the galaxy to the stellar winds.

Come to beautiful Terra! Some of our beaches are still technically safe to be near! :buddy:

But at the same time -- you have power. Is that what you've been doing, Father? Collecting souls from Earth for harvest?

That's twisted -- even for you. I can feel the energy growing within Terra.

Means to an end, Nagi. Our thinking isn't so different, after all.

Their final act would be our salvation. A grand way to go -- I'd say.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I would use this power for other means.

What are they babbling about?

So it's a race, then? To see who can unleash this power first? I have to say -- I'm glad it's come to this.

Rabies McFutts, the last and best hope for Terra.

Terra's hosed.

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 15, 2017

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Blarghalt posted:

But I'm holding you to your word. If I start to doubt you -- I'll kill you.

If he really thought he was capable of killing Caylen or Kabu, what does he need Caylen for?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Maple Leaf posted:

If he really thought he was capable of killing Caylen or Kabu, what does he need Caylen for?

Yes. Threatening to kill your own bodyguard/assassin has to be the stupidest idea possible. Even the "these bombs keep us SAFE!" thing was sort-of-justified..

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Nagi's anti-Terra nihilism is a rather mitigating point to his dark magical girl roadkill looks.

Aaand big surprise, turns out the black sphinx-doggy did kill all the talented people on purpose. Or maybe they just wanted the easy way out.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 15, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I guess in the world of the dead, the only one who knows he's dead is immortal godking? :shrug:

Though does that make that one guy's mom doubly dead?

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
So does King Schrodog use the staff to stay dead, alive? In a state of quantum undeath? Huh?

Is the twist that we were Terra all along because we're dead inside?

Also why'd he stab himself with the scepter again? God I hate this thing.

blankd fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 15, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This script is making me reconsider my lengthy romance with hyphens.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I've completely forgotten who Riley is. He sounds like a bad dude, though.

Oh wait, is Riley the horse?

I love this and I love the flowerpot. It represents the last, shrieking remnant of his humanity. Or maybe it's just used to lure in prey, whichever.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Riley is the dog posed for a high five who supposedly works for Tiger Trump but has been shown to have his own sinister agenda and is also in cahoots with not-mentally-disabled fuckrabbit.

I would update the relationship chart, but at this point it would be unreadable.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've read every update in their entirety and I still have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

inthesto posted:

Riley is the dog posed for a high five who supposedly works for Tiger Trump but has been shown to have his own sinister agenda and is also in cahoots with not-mentally-disabled fuckrabbit.

I would update the relationship chart, but at this point it would be unreadable.

Wow you pay like 20X more attention to this stuff than I have goddam. I've never bothered trying to keep track who any of these goofnuts are; they're kind of just perversely fascinating in a horrible stream of consciousness way.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 15, 2017

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FunkMonkey posted:

Wow you pay like 20X more attention to this stuff than I have goddam. I've never bothered trying to keep track who any of these goofnuts are; they're kind of just perversely fascinating in a horrible stream of consciousness way.

My excuse is that this isn't my first time through the game.

I now realize that's less of an excuse and more of a self-condemnation.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

KataraniSword posted:

I guess in the world of the dead, the only one who knows he's dead is immortal godking? :shrug:

Though does that make that one guy's mom doubly dead?

Yeah I thought this might mean that Terra is actually the realm of the dead that serves many planets/planes/realities at once, but then also you have the whole people are starving to death here thing and political stances on immigration and that's just kind of a weird way to go if you're gonna reveal Terra to be the spirit world.

It would also make those assassins even dumber in retrospect as their ritual would have amounted to just camping out in the woods and hoping someone gets independently murdered on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

It would also make those assassins even dumber in retrospect as their ritual would have amounted to just camping out in the woods and hoping someone gets independently murdered on Earth.

You joke but that's pretty much how I spend my Saturday afternoons.

• Locked thread