Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am so in. TOOT TOOT

I'd like to point out for the record that, for some reason, the actual title is "Major\Minor" with a backslash.

Hope nobody expects that to be explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My "favorite" thing about this game, which I had forgotten is evident so early on, is that the dev has somehow completely spaced on the entire point of a visual novel with a first-person perspective—which is that you're not supposed to see poo poo that does not happen directly to the player character.

It's supposed to be a first-person narrative, which means you shouldn't be able to view scenes that occur MEANWHILE on some other loving planet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Misery is to be shared.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Furries love to draw huge tails that stick up into shot for no physical reason, because of accessorizing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hope that's because Japanese people don't typically know Latin and they know the name "Terra" from cargo-cult exposure to western sci-fi.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

Here's something to consider: I have no way of knowing this. How would you show ethnicity in a furry?

Species.

Unless your characters are all kickstarter backers' fursonas and you have to mash everyone's arbitrary character together into a universe where people have names like "Kila" and "Rook" and "Riley" and the king is loving Velasquez

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Birds have giant mammaries, right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tale as old as time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blarghalt, or Inthesto or someone, you want to weigh in on how the features list for the game includes:

* Length Of Several Novels
* 30 Characters to Interact With
* Forge Friendships With An In-Depth Affection System
* SMS System: Send and Receive Text Messages To/From Characters
* Many Choices Leading to Different Experiences
* Multiple Endings
* Steam Trading Cards
* Controller Support
* Steam Achievements
* Steam Link and Steam Overlay Support

... and how many of these turn out to actually exist?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"30 Characters to Interact With" implies that you as the player have some form of choice or agency in who you interact with, yes? And when?

This game is just a series of screens of dialogue, presented to you in an unending stream as you press the "next" button. I think there's maybe something like twenty "choices" you are ever given (e: missed your actual count, lol oops), all vague steering inputs on the plot. That's the extent to which you "play" the game. Nothing even remotely approaching something like "I know, I think I'll go talk to Kila now, see what he has to say".

Fundamental misunderstanding of what a "game" (or even a "visual novel") is on the author's part, and what's up in the air is whether it's due to incompetence or malice.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 6, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why do people think limousines are inherently fun and luxurious places to be? Like as an end in themselves?

It's a car with a couch and booze in it. You can sit in a cramped position and make awkward small talk and get drunk in the ten minute interlude between places you actually want to be. BEING IN A LIMO WITH PEOPLE YOU HATE IS NOT A CHOICE ON THE "HOW TO SPEND A FUN EVENING" MENU.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean faults and all, this whole set of portraits does represent a gently caress of a lot of work.

Especially when fully half of the drawings only get flashed once and then never seen again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

free reign asafhghahghagbblbll

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I wonder if Klace is aware that arcade bars are a thing in the US too?

I know, let's go to Tokyo and make a beeline for the equivalent of the Times Square Applebee's

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A lifetime of failed attempts has taught me that I suck at writing fiction, but this game is making me want to try again

Because gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mechanical Ape posted:

Well this picture certainly doesn't.

Yeah, I love how much of the actual things that happen have to be conveyed through narration, over an unrelated background, with no difference in the appearance of the characters.

Why isn't this just an IM log? You could make the character pics into avatars and paste the background images into your chat client and bang, $20 on steam

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't figure out how self-aware Klace is, or thinks he is.

The whole "dramatic welcome" scene and the claw machine scene—he goes to great lengths to lampshade how dumb and anticlimactic they are, by having the narration and even the characters point it out. In that sense it's way better than if they were actually played straight and we were supposed to be impressed by the arcade or excited by the claw machine. But even with that in play, it's still pathetic beyond what the lampshading can justify.

It's like he's saying "Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a lovely writer, right guuuuyyyys :smuggo: " —knowing and expecting that he'll get plaudits just for showing up

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how there is an "arcade game repair man" who they have to call

Like, if they run the place, they wouldn't be hobbyists/tinkerers themselves, like that wouldn't be the entire reason why they're doing it

E: Jade is independently wealthy so she just funds an arcade to play in and otherwise know nothing about, like Notch's mansion or some poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

I like how there is an "arcade game repair man" who they have to call

Like, if they run the place, they wouldn't be hobbyists/tinkerers themselves, like that wouldn't be the entire reason why they're doing it

E: Jade is independently wealthy so she just funds an arcade to play in and otherwise know nothing about, like Notch's mansion or some poo poo

Oh wait, I remember what this reminded me of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartmanland

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is actually a big issue I have with writing fiction. I can't fathom how someone can write convincingly about some subject matter like submarine warfare or medieval battles or superlawyer intrigue when they clearly have not experienced any of those things first-hand. Research can only get you so far, right? Yet I don't think I could write a convincing story about being a cubicle nerd even though that's all I've done to a degree that I'd think you'd need in order to be confident writing about a thing.

Yet people do it all the drat time. I know Tom Clancy was an insurance salesman whose closest brush with the military was getting drummed out of ROTC for nearsightedness, and I'm pretty sure Vince Gilligan didn't spend ten years of his life as a drug lord.

I feel like there's got to be a sort of innate ability that some people have to write immersively and engagingly about a subject even if they have no first-hand knowledge of it, and not everyone can do it—that's what makes good authors. But if you can't, you'd better at least go with the first-hand experience fallback for the thing you use as your big Act 1 hook.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blarghalt posted:

I blink a few times, at a loss for words.

Our hero, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm giving nothing away by saying that this is pretty much how Rabies becomes the savior of the world: by staring blankly when people ask him bizarre rambling questions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also: "He didn't even own a rope"

WELL THEN CASE CLOSED

gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Moon Slayer posted:

The sad thing is that in another format, "parallel realities colliding, causing people to die in the way their alternate selves died" could be an interesting story hook.

You mean like in a parallel universe where Major\Minor didn't suck?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Face him in the eyes" is going to stick with me, thank you.

Also "huffing expired paint". :lol: A+

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blarghalt posted:

Fun fact: in the original version of Chapter One, there's an additional line with him wondering if Takeshi's Castle is on. Keep in mind that show hasn't run in Japan for over twenty years.

So you're saying he does listen to and act upon helpful criticism!

I'd like to criticize his hilarious lack of imagination when it comes to what constitutes a VIP luxury junket. Ooooo, a hotel room. Aaahh, an arcade

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No_talent posted:

Why self insert, only to kill yourself off before showing up?

I like the new. "Interplanetary kidnapping with softhearted assassins despite not being able to get to Earth"plot line. I am actually excited to see the logic behind this.

I think the position Tiger Trump and Valesquez are fighting for is Mayorking. The ruler of all mayors, and the city you are eleceted to lead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, come on

(((Velasquez)))

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's wearing a loving ermine stole too

Black ermine fur with yellow spots.

Kill me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I swear this guy made a better Randomly Chosen One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HseAXv2wAiE

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course I can't help but appreciate every time the text says so-and-so looks at you with a horror-stricken expression or tears streaming down his face or something, while according to the art he's going :iamafag: or ;-*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You gave Rabies dialogue and a personality, that's a cardinal sin

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've said this in the context of ~other fictional properties~, but I think it would be fun to see a story from the POV of someone who is not the Chosen One, but who is his friend or something.

Kila should be the one dealing with Furry Outsider and we should be trying to solve a whodunit in Tokyo is what I'm saying

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Earth" is furry tokyo. "Terra" is the fantasy world with Velasquez and Tiger Trump.

Human Earth doesn't exist.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Rocker"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And I assume "Rocker" is similarly someone's OC that Klace thought was perfect for making into one of the band members because he's, you know, a rocker and all. Except now we have a rock band where one of the musicians is literally named "Rocker".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And motherFUCK, if anything has ever needed an editor it's that rambling incoherent conversation between Singe and Jade. I've attempted to read through it more than once now and I still have no idea why the asscrack Klace thought it was in any way helpful to the story to a) introduce the X-factor of "another group of Midnight Deaths cases that were actual murders and not mysterious maybe-suicides, thus complicating the theories we have about them" and b) remove that factor from consideration by declaring them the work of a copycat killer and thus irrelevant, in the same conversation. I mean, if there was some kind of plot element that hung on that idea, maybe? But we only just found out that it was a possibility and the game tells us to not worry about it and we're back to square one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So basically I have to be conversant in modern video games in order to have a hope in hell of understanding what's going on in what I will charitably call this story.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lotta bureaucracy in the ol' Local Assassins 872

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PUT IT IN THE TEA

THEY'LL DRINK IT

PUT IT IN THE T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nobody in furry stories ever thinks about food chains.

Too much of a buzzkill.

• Locked thread