Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been keeping an eye on the New Zealand referendums held during the Election vote. There were two votes (both non-binding) on legalising euthanasia and recreational cannabis. The euthanasia vote passed but sadly the cannabis vote was narrowly defeated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_New_Zealand_cannabis_referendum

Its non binding and the PM said she voted to legalise it in the referendum so that's some progress at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Baka-nin posted:

I've been keeping an eye on the New Zealand referendums held during the Election vote. There were two votes (both non-binding) on legalising euthanasia and recreational cannabis. The euthanasia vote passed but sadly the cannabis vote was narrowly defeated.

Its non binding and the PM said she voted to legalise it in the referendum so that's some progress at least.

ʇı ǝzɐʃq 02ᔭ

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Baka-nin posted:

Those results are preliminary. We're still awaiting counting of the 480,000 special votes to hopefully sway the result but at this point, we'd need over 69% to get it past the line. Bit of a long shot but we can but hope.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zanziabar posted:

Those results are preliminary. We're still awaiting counting of the 480,000 special votes to hopefully sway the result but at this point, we'd need over 69% to get it past the line. Bit of a long shot but we can but hope.

I am pulling for the final tally to put it at 69.420% which I'm sure we would all agree would be nice.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If the final result is close, is there any chance of the parliament taking action to liberalize cannabis laws? Even if only to preemptive future attempts to get full legalization via another ballot

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I am pulling for the final tally to put it at 69.420% which I'm sure we would all agree would be nice.

100% agree, I think it does show that there is a mandate for reform, maybe not in the format of the bill that was proposed but definitely heading in that direction

Squalid posted:

If the final result is close, is there any chance of the parliament taking action to liberalize cannabis laws? Even if only to preemptive future attempts to get full legalization via another ballot

Well, it depends on how you view the NZ Political System in the current climate. Our justice minister Andrew Little stated that he views the results as 'pretty convincing' for both referendums, that “means that it is highly unlikely that those results will be overturned” before going on further to state 'The electorate has spoken, they are uncomfortable with greater legalisation, and I would interpret it as [also] decriminalisation of recreational cannabis,” pulled from https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/po...-concede-defeat

I'd take Little's comments with a grain of salt though. He's a notorious fuckwit who resigned in 2017 for being fundamentally unlikeable which is why Ardern replaced him as leader of the opposition,. We'd need a pretty strong showing as mentioned above from the special votes to make them reconsider. Another 'nail in the coffin' however would be we've just voted in an exceptionally centrist-left government which doesn't really want to rock the boat with any swing-national voters.

One final counterpoint is that Labour has entered into a Confidence and Supply agreement with the Greens (the party that introduced the Cannabis bill in the referendum) even though they didn't need to do that. The greens were handed ministerial positions on Climate Change, Prevention of Family and Sexual Violence and Associate Minister of Housing. This has caused some of those swing-national voters I mentioned to have a bit of an apoplectic fit but I'm optimistic/delusional that it shows Labour would be willing to work with the greens in parliament to get Cannabis reform passed.

TLDR: It's not likely but who knows?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Found a journalist with a list of drug ballots this US voting day

https://twitter.com/AlexThomas/status/1323687603460362245?s=20

Bit surprised to see decrim of other scarier substances is at least being seriously considered in a couple of states and DC so soon.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

To make up for the loss in New Zealnd, USA had a number of big wins for cannabis legalization tonight.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/marijuana-legalization-measures-pass-states/story?id=74008722

quote:

Four states across the country are the latest in the U.S. to legalize marijuana for both recreational and medical use.

A majority of New Jersey and Arizona voters voted yes on ballot measures that made recreational marijuana legal. In South Dakota, voters passed one of two marijuana legalization ballot measures, which legalized medical use.

The New Jersey state legislature will have to draft and pass legislation regarding the exact details on how the state will implement the new policy. The Arizona Department of Health Services will be responsible for adopting that state's rules.

Mississippi voters approved an initiative to establish a medical marijuana program for patients with debilitating conditions.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/mississippi-voters-approve-robust-medical-marijuana-initiative-over-lawmakers-restrictive-alternate/

quote:

Voters have approved an activist-led initiative to legalize medical marijuana in Mississippi, according to a projection by local outlet Y’all Politics.

The measure faced a series of unique challenges ahead of the election, principally the addition of a more restrictive alternative measure that the legislature placed on the ballot and the resulting two-step question voters faced.
. . .
Activists are breathing a sigh of relief with this election outcome, as there were deep concerns that the inclusion of the less detailed alternative on the ballot would confuse voters and cause both to fail. They suspected that was the intent of the legislature, which has been resistant to cannabis reform and only pursued the alternative after the campaign’s version qualified.

“Initiative 65 puts the needs and interests of patients first. This was a grassroots effort to provide patients with access to a treatment option that patients already enjoy in 34 other states and in the District of Columbia,” NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said. “By contrast, Measure 65A was a cynical effort by lawmakers to misdirect voters. The same state lawmakers that for decades had refused to ever seriously address the issue were the ones behind 65A, and voters wisely rejected their campaign.”

The legislature’s proposal included a ban on smoking medical cannabis for patients who are not terminally ill and said that medical marijuana products must be of “suitable pharmaceutical quality,” though that was undefined.

Still waiting on results from Montana, fingers crossed. Given we got good results even in Mississippi, fingers crossed there, I feel good about the odds there

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
At first I was like "wow, heroin? really?" and then I realized it's just decrim. That's actually a good step assuming oregon is going for the norway model.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Relatedly, Oregon also legalized therapeutic psilocybin, and decriminalized all drugs.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/oregon-becomes-first-state-to-legalize-psychedelic-mushrooms.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/oregon-decriminalizes-possession-of-street-drugs-becoming-first-in-nation.html

edit: I guess I should say, they decriminalized "personal possession amounts". Though apparently larger amounts are now misdemeanors instead of felonies.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 5, 2020

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Baka-nin posted:

Found a journalist with a list of drug ballots this US voting day

https://twitter.com/AlexThomas/status/1323687603460362245?s=20

Bit surprised to see decrim of other scarier substances is at least being seriously considered in a couple of states and DC so soon.

I'm excited by how much of this there was this time around, and how successful it was. I bet more and more of this will be happening as time goes on and more and more older voters...stop voting, because, they're, uh, tired of it.

So in a few months am I going to be able to just pop into a mushroom store in Oregon like a cannabis dispensary in Colorado?

e ok I'm confused again didn't someone big L legalize mushrooms

Cicero posted:

Relatedly, Oregon also legalized therapeutic psilocybin, and decriminalized all drugs.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/oregon-becomes-first-state-to-legalize-psychedelic-mushrooms.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/oregon-decriminalizes-possession-of-street-drugs-becoming-first-in-nation.html

edit: I guess I should say, they decriminalized "personal possession amounts". Though apparently larger amounts are now misdemeanors instead of felonies.

Ok I knew I hadn't made it up. So medical only? It was pointed out to me that decriminalizing small amounts is common sense because mushrooms just grow in people's yards there

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 6, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The drug war was a helluva drug.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm excited by how much of this there was this time around, and how successful it was. I bet more and more of this will be happening as time goes on and more and more older voters...stop voting, because, they're, uh, tired of it.

So in a few months am I going to be able to just pop into a mushroom store in Oregon like a cannabis dispensary in Colorado?

e ok I'm confused again didn't someone big L legalize mushrooms

Ok I knew I hadn't made it up. So medical only? It was pointed out to me that decriminalizing small amounts is common sense because mushrooms just grow in people's yards there

they're also quite easy to grow yourself, way easier than cannabis, with like 100 USD worth of equipment and some sterile procedures you can create endless mushrooms forever

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can order a sporeprint by mailing some dude some cash and a return envelope. The spores are 100% legal pretty much everywhere because it’s a native North American mushroom whose spores are, uh, loving everywhere.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah I could grow my own chickens or whatever too but I prefer to delegate the tenderization process

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
How long until cannabis is legalized, or at the very least decriminalized, in all fifty states? I cannot believe it's still so illegal in so many places and even then still so stigmatized.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Unless there's a federal override like with gay marriage, I wouldn't expect it to be legal in all fifty states for like...at least three decades.

I'm more surprised how little movement there's been in Europe to legalize marijuana, especially now that it's legal all across Canada. The US is ahead of Europe on this issue.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

europe sent everyone they didn't like from their teeming shore to ours for 150 years, which included all the stoners

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Oolb posted:

How long until cannabis is legalized, or at the very least decriminalized, in all fifty states? I cannot believe it's still so illegal in so many places and even then still so stigmatized.

Not sure if it’s stigma or trying to cash in on ignorance but here in IL we are fully recreational ok, and I still hear ads offering you a medical card for basically 200$ instead of the 250 or whatever it is to DIY

Other than really being a fast pass to skip lines is there any legit advantage to having a card?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

be black in the southern part of the state without one and see what happens

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cicero posted:

Unless there's a federal override like with gay marriage, I wouldn't expect it to be legal in all fifty states for like...at least three decades.

Yeah that's a bit much, I remember hearing the same predictions for Equal Marriage Rights back in 2010. Gonna say it will happen no later than 2030, at which point only a couple of states will have not passed legalization due to the local GOP controlling all state power via gerrymandering (i.e. Texas for example).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there are still six dry counties in the tx panhandle, down from maybe eighty when i was born

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Next likely phase of cannabis legalization. Hopefully we can actually have a few successes in state legislatures next year, instead of another string of embarrassing failures

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The comments on noted shitlord Kevin Sabet’s twitter feed are quite something these days:

https://twitter.com/KevinSabet/status/1332376531327279104?s=20

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Yeah that's a bit much, I remember hearing the same predictions for Equal Marriage Rights back in 2010.
Equal marriage rights had a viable route through the courts, weed doesn't.

If gay marriage was dependent on legislation, it'd still be illegal in some states.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cicero posted:

Equal marriage rights had a viable route through the courts, weed doesn't.

If gay marriage was dependent on legislation, it'd still be illegal in some states.

Still standing by it, especially after elections.

Three decades is way too much.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Parrotine posted:

It's been illegal via state or federal law since 1899 or so

E 1899 was california I think?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The Mexican senate approved a bill to legalise Cannabis, it now goes to the lower house where the party that supports legalisation has a majority.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8968569/Vote-Mexico-brings-worlds-largest-legal-weed-market-one-step-closer.html

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

AMLO had also telegraphed support for the bill earlier, so if it passes without amendments it looks good to go for signing.

Just gotta get it done before the 15th tho

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

It's been illegal via state or federal law since 1899 or so

E 1899 was california I think?

Weed got legalized in Colorado in 2012; look how many states have crossed the gap since then. 2030 at the latest.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The House is voting on the MORE act to deschedule this week. Won't go anywhere, but it's a heck of a step.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What the hell is taking NJ so long to pass their legalization bill?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Nah. I mean sure, 10-15 years from now you'd have most states with legal weed. But I think there'd be a few stubborn holdouts for a while yet after that, unless the feds passed a law to flatly make it legal across the country. Which could definitely happen.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Cicero posted:

Nah. I mean sure, 10-15 years from now you'd have most states with legal weed. But I think there'd be a few stubborn holdouts for a while yet after that, unless the feds passed a law to flatly make it legal across the country. Which could definitely happen.

I think it will. The weird uneasy truce where it's federally illegal but not enforced in legal states is more and more ridiculous every year, and for a Dem administration, legalization is an easy win.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

soon you'll see legal states pressuring illegal states for commerce reasons and then it's game over

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think you'll be disappointed in President War on Drugs Author Biden

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

showbiz_liz posted:

I think it will. The weird uneasy truce where it's federally illegal but not enforced in legal states is more and more ridiculous every year, and for a Dem administration, legalization is an easy win.

I think the most likely route by far is for the feds to declare it a state matter.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

my hope is that the wins this year in states like Montana, the Senators of those states will quickly flip to supporting federal level legalization, and that will provide enough pressure within the Republican caucus that McConnell will be forced to finally let a bill reach the floor. Any action will remain a long shot though so long as he remains in charge.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Weed got legalized in Colorado in 2012; look how many states have crossed the gap since then. 2030 at the latest.

I mean I'm certainly not against it, but prisons and police unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
It's fun that weed is legal now because I can proffer it as a tip offering with a little less discretion, both because it's very inexpensive for me (I did a bunch of math and convinced myself that last summer I spent 65hrs and $1005 producing 41oz of bud), and because of the obvious reasons you don't offer illegal things as a tip to people who you might happily offer a 12 pack or a $20 bill to.

I had a delivery this week, a truck with two guys in it, I believe they were of North African descent and there was a small language barrier. When pot was illegal I was always careful when dealing with deliveries, specifically because people who are either uptight whites, or from cultures that I don't understand, might be uncomfortable, and so I would make sure pipes etc were well out of view if someone was going to be bringing a box inside.

In this case the delivery came early and my partner hadn't yet returned with some cash we'd intended to have on hand for a tip, so I offered them some weed. That was funny because of the language barrier and finally I said, "uh, cannabis, marijuana, weed... legal here now...??" and one guy's eyes lit up a bit and he said, "well, can I see it?" The other guy seemed pretty amused (as best as you can tell, behind masks), and the first guy apparently liked the look of my weed because he quickly accepted it and then asked me what strain it was as an afterthought (Dresden Green Diamond).

I leave bags out for the plow person and some other people that do stuff for us; it's a really cost effective way to tip people.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 4, 2020