Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SAtHmoNP4s

It's up! This stream went fantastically. If you don't believe me, jump to 58 minutes. You may want to watch the whole thing after that!

edit: holy gently caress the thumbnail is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It was the coffee, Zach. It helped you out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I really need to get back to DP. I stopped shortly after the hospital visit, in part because it took a long time to fix a glitch that caused the game to crash as soon as I left after the combat segment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

I really need to get back to DP. I stopped shortly after the hospital visit, in part because it took a long time to fix a glitch that caused the game to crash as soon as I left after the combat segment.

Spoiler: That's the technical issue that ends the stream. :v:

But I fixed it by restarting my computer after the stream ended, which worked for some reason!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

One of the things I like about Twin Peaks is how it ignores cliches with its hero. Cooper is a brilliant detective who is also a genuinely nice person with no deep-seated personality disorders or crippling addictions. He trusts, and is trusted by, local law enforcement right from the start. How many other shows deliberately defuse their most obvious source of plot-generating conflict right at the beginning?

Besides Kyle Maclachlan's charm, Cooper remains interesting because he's such a massive contrast to the evil in Twin Peaks. Like, we know how Harry Callahan or Jimmy McNulty or those clones on NCSI would deal with a serial killer, because they live in the same world. Meanwhile, Cooper seems to have wandered in to Twin Peaks straight from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. I was always curious and nervous when watching about how he'd react to the various horrors in the series.

Compare with Alan Wake, who is an rear end in a top hat and, explicitly, the creator of his world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
TRACES TO NOWHERE

So, last time you all got acquainted with the town and its inhabitants (or at least, most of them). The pacing on the pilot is interesting. It's not extremely fast because they have two-ish hours to work with, but it also has to rotate through all of the characters to show you what they're about. It's hard not to feel like you're being bumped around like a pinball while watching the pilot because the show has a hard time letting you take a breather.

Well, here comes that breather. The show is a half-hour shorter now, and they had two options: Jump up and down on the stuff from the pilot to cram it all in as tightly as possible, or back off a bit and focus on small bits at a time. Thankfully for all of our sanity, they went with the latter. We join Cooper in his bedroom at the Great Northern Hotel for episode two (or one, depending on if you are a pedant about the pilot not counting as 'episode one') of Twin Peaks.

SYNOPSIS

Cooper is the foundation of this show. I mean, that's obvious since he's among the bundle of protagonists, but in my opinion he is the peg that keeps the tent tethered. Kyle MacLachlan brings the character to life in a way that is interesting and entertaining at the same time. He's a cultural renaissance man. Cooper is everything that daytime TV detectives were not back in the day- and sometimes still to this day. Cooper is not a gruff, manly man. He does not growl, he does not narrow his eyes in thought or frustration. He does not pull his gun at the slightest hint of danger. One of the things I like about him is that he is a completely neutral human being; the character of Cooper could have been played by male or female and it wouldn't have affected the characterization at all. It works not just to make him an audience surrogate, but also to help him stand out among his peers who are all scheming adulterers and so on. I'll talk more about this later once we know a bit more about the guy, but just know that Cooper is absolutely my favorite TV show protagonist of all time (sorry Dr. House), and for good reason.

You've probably heard the "drat fine cup of coffee" line before, but I bet it's good to hear it again.

Audrey joins Cooper for breakfast because she just can't keep her nose out of other peoples' business. Thankfully, Cooper is not receptive of her poking around despite being enchanted by her appearance, but I mean like... just look at her, who wouldn't be. Sherilyn Fenn sure is easy on the eyes. Audrey's brother, Johnny, is a very strange diversion of a character. We'll meet him a bit later, but keep him at the back of your mind. He's certainly a unique individual.

Good lord, look at Michael Ontkean jam that donut into his mouth. In the span of one huge donut bite, Coop outlines the entire day's events before going for a piss (???) and I can't help but note that this is not going to stop happening; by which I mean, weird 30 second moments that make you go "what??" Twin Peaks is not a comedy show, even though sometimes it may seem like it. Levity is important to have in a drama because if it was all just talking about Laura Palmer's murder all the time it'd get so dark and grim that nobody would want to watch it. So tiny breaktime scenes like Michael Ontkean's donut over-ambition exist to break up the monotony and dreariness of the plot.

Laura's murder was, of course, pretty brutal. The grisly detail in which it is described is something relatively new for television in the 90s. Twin Peaks does not pull any punches, that's for sure. Additionally, it turns out Laura had sex with three different guys on the night of the murder, according to the doctor. So hey, now we know at least three people saw her on the night of her murder. Ronette Pulaski, the second victim, is unresponsive and comatose so she can't give her own perspective on the events at the moment- not that she'd probably want to anyway.

gently caress Leo Johnson. Him and his Jean Claude Van Damme haircut. Thankfully, Shelly hates him just as much as we do- there's no sympathy for the devil to be found in her. I have to give some major props to the show's writing staff here. We've seen Leo all of two times and already I bet you're rooting for that blood on his shirt to belong to someone important so he can get his butt whooped by local law enforcement. Leo is bad news, and they want you to know it right away.

James is a cherub. He knows he's caught, but I bet he would've confessed to shooting the video anyway. It's refreshing to see someone on a police procedural being so open with the police. The guy just wants to help, preferably without going to jail. Through his confession we learn something that stuns Cooper temporarily: Laura was acting real weird before she ran off and left him alone.

Meanwhile, Leo discovers that his shirt is not among his laundry and is upset about this development. This little cut is a bit weirdly placed but it implies the passage of time between the interrogation with James and the next scene (since the laundry is now done), so I'll give it a pass.

Immediately after the commercial break we find out that Leo is an even worse person for mysterious reasons, and Bobby and Mike are involved in his dealings! You probably can already guess what those dealings are, but either way now there's a problem. Laura had ten thousand smackers given to her by Bobby, money which was intended for Leo. Obviously, bad things will happen to our degenerate friend if he turns up without that money.

Also: See what I mean about Laura's smile now?

...Did you hear that?

Poor Donna is not handling the events of the previous day well. She feels conflicted because Laura, her best buddy in the whole world, is now dead as a doornail; and at the same time, she and James can now share their true feelings for one another. I don't blame her for feeling guilty. The idea of upholding a recently deceased person's ideals, living your life around theirs even though they're gone, is very real in our society. It's a form of honoring someone's wishes. It's why people say "woah, too soon man" if you make a joke too quickly after a tragic event. In reality, Laura is gone forever and none of her thoughts or feelings will have any bearing on the actions of others ever again. But her presence still lingers over Twin Peaks; she's gone, but not forgotten, and nowhere is this more evident than Donna's guilt.

In any case, James is being released from the slammer into the custody of his uncle Ed. Cooper is confident James didn't do it and neither did Bobby, and then he departs to speak to an agent named Albert over the phone, to invite him to town to see the body. This gives the others some alone time. During said time we learn that Ed's affair with Norma is no secret (except to his wife, Nadine) and that there may have been some foul play involved in the bar brawl. A man named Jacques Renault was tending the bar, and based on Harry's reaction, the name is familiar.

Nadine runs into Norma at the store, and it turns out they are old friends. Nadine of course is oblivious to Norma's infidelity with her husband, but she's too focused on her curtain rods to really care anyway. You might have noticed a pattern in Twin Peaks' scene framing by now. If not, here's how it generally goes: "Big main plot scene -> Little side plot scene to pass time -> Big main plot scene -> Little side plot scene to pass time". Longer side plot scenes are thrown in to mix things up here and there. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just saying you should get used to it because there's about 28 more episodes of a very similar formula to go.

Bobby and Mike are free to go as per Cooper's recommendation, but he and Harry remain aware that should anything happen to James... well, they'll be coming right back.

A bit later on, Josie is questioned by Coop and Harry. It turns out Laura was tutoring Josie in proper English. On the night of her murder, she told Josie, "I think now I understand how you feel about your husband's death." What's more important, however, is that Harry is getting dirty with her in his spare time. Cooper immediately spots this, another instance of his eye for human behavior, and to Harry's credit he doesn't try to deny it!

Do you like seeing Kathy naked? Well, good news, it's going to be a frequent occurrence because she's having an affair with Ben Horne. You might have noticed that this means just about every single major character except for Cooper and Audrey is cheating on someone. It is a common minor complaint of the show that everybody is cheating on everybody else with everybody else. I'm sure it was planned from the start, to add another layer of complexity to the town and its inhabitants, but it does lose a bit of its punch when everybody is doing it.

Ben and Kathy want ownership of the mill. The two discuss the possibility of burning it down, causing insurance fraud to get Josie in hot water. I'm sure this plan will go off without a hitch. Then they make out.

Donna goes to see Laura's parents because her mother really could use the emotional support. Instead, her hysteria just brings on more trauma. She hallucinates again, and is once more petrified with screaming fear by the raggedy looking man. I really appreciate this moment for the same reason I like the small touches of humor. The show needs something to wake you up, to make you go "holy cannoli that was sudden", but they can't just go around killing more characters or whatever. So instead they got creative. The loud music and Sarah's screaming is an incredibly stark contrast to the tone of the rest of the episode and I think it's a great way to make sure the audience is still paying attention.

Deputy Hawk is interviewing Ronette's parents and finds out that she's pretty much just a normal girl. She was a saleswoman at the local department store's perfume counter, led a pretty normal late-teenage-years life, and holy poo poo does that guy have one arm what the

Hawk follows the mysterious one-armed man, who seemed to make a break for it at the sight of him, but loses him down the path to the morgue. Very strange.

Equally strange is Audrey's dancing. I have no idea what's going on with that. She is a weirdo. Her father is onto her screwing-up of the real estate deal and does not appreciate her meddling, and she gets a well-deserved stern talking to.

Bobby's family: also weird. I think his father has a very eloquently put point. The problem is that Bobby is in that phase of life where you don't care what your parents have to say, whether they are speaking truths or not. Major Briggs is a blowhard, but he's a blowhard who cares about his son's well-being even in spite of the slap. To be fair, it is pretty disrespectful to smoke at the dinner table.

Ah, the log lady. The final touch of weird on top of the weirdness sundae sitting in the bowl of weirdness on the dinner plate of weirdness at the weirdness buffet. You'll learn to like her. At least, I hope you will. The lamp lady of Alan Wake is of course inspired by ol' Margaret. Cooper unfortunately declines the opportunity to interrogate the log. For what it's worth, yes, there's a reason she's carrying the log around. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is.

Hang on let me quote myself real quick.

quote:

gently caress Leo Johnson.

There, that's enough said about that.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, it seems Donna's relationship with James is blossoming quickly. Bobby still plans on getting his revenge despite the threat from Coop and Harry, but thankfully James' puffy lips will deflect any blows to the face so he should be fine.

The episode ends on a mysterious note. Seems Laura had an admirer; Doctor Jacoby, therapist from the elemental plane of hawaiian shirts, reveals himself to be the one who unearthed the locket. What a coconut.

MY THOUGHTS

Not much happens in this episode, which I find kind of interesting! This episode mostly serves to wrap up the plot threads from the previous one, as well as briefly introduce some new ideas that will be touched upon further in episode 3 (Bobby owing Leo money, Ben and Kathy's nefarious plans, Leo's bloody shirt and sock flail). I don't know how I feel about the show jumping around so much; I spoke in the previous update about the massively wide scope the program has and the many ways they will try to narrow it. Unfortunately I never really got used to said narrowing attempts. While some see it as a funnel pouring a tasty beverage into a cup, I see it as a funnel pouring a tasty beverage directly into my gullet. It's a bit jarring and strange, but then I guess that's Lynch at work.

Twin Peaks experienced a sharp drop in ratings starting with this episode. Note that ratings does not mean critical acclaim; the stupid and arbitrary way television popularity was measured in the 90s (and still is today) meant that critical success has nothing to do with a show's consideration for being reinstated when a season is over. Because it was placed in the same time slot as Cheers, which was one of the most watched TV shows in the 80s-90s and still one of the most successful of all time, it lost a pretty big portion of its viewership that it would never recover. Which is a huge shame. gently caress Cheers.

And now, some questions for you to prompt discussion, humble watchalong-er: What's going on with Ed being drugged? Could there be shady dealings in Twin Peaks even beyond the shady dealings we already know about? Do you think it has something to do with the twenty grand Bobby owes Leo? What's with the blood on that guy's shirt, and what's his fuckin' problem anyway?

Additionally, My question from the previous episode remains: Now who do you think killed Laura Palmer? Do you agree with Coop's assessment that it wasn't James or Bobby?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 17, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is Diane just what Cooper calls his dictaphone?

I think Leo's bloodstained shirt is a red herring. He's so obviously the murderer that it can't be him. He's probably into smuggling, and he's a spousal abuser, and his haircut is JUST THE WORST. But I don't think he's a killer.

Shady dealings in Twin Peaks? Man, if I've understood anything about Lynch, it's this: It's shady dealings all the way down.

E: I'm still on my "third party, related to R" theory. Haven't seen anything to dissuade me so far.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
EDIT: MOST OF MY QUESTIONS ARE DUMB, AND CAUSED BY NOT ACTUALLY PAYING ATTENTION TO THE EPISODE. THERE'S A LOT GOING ON, BUT THEY DO A GOOD JOB OF EXPLAINING EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW, IF YOU JUST PAY ATTENTION WHILE WATCHING.
Don't read the post below, it's full of stupid.

RE: Diane - When he gets back from doing his field work, he dresses up like a woman, complete with a long blonde wig, goes by the name Diane, and does all his own paperwork. It's not like weirdness is unheard of in the ranks of the FBI. (Referring to the supposed cross-dressing, not the homosexuality.)

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

E: I'm still on my "third party, related to R" theory. Haven't seen anything to dissuade me so far.

I'm aware of Twin Peaks, but I've never seen it before, so I just started watching it today, working through the first two episodes, so I'm all caught up. But I'll admit that I wasn't paying complete attention, so if the answers to my questions are "go back and watch again, but this time pay attention" that's cool. But I'm a bit confused about Cooper's involvement, and why he thinks it's someone local who killed Laura.

Wasn't there only one murder so far, before Laura's, that had a letter shoved under the fingernail? One killing isn't really a serial killing (yet), so why would the FBI get involved? A local girl killed in the town she lived in isn't really a Federal matter. It wasn't until AFTER Cooper showed up that they found out about the letter under the nail, so it's not like that's something that would have triggered the FBI showing up. Is the FBI (or Cooper) just running around every time there's a killing reported and looking under fingernails? And if the first killing with a letter under a fingernail wasn't done in Twin Peaks, why is Cooper so sure Laura's killer is still in Twin Peaks?
Is Cooper ACTUALLY working for the FBI, or is he just some guy who shows up and tells everyone he's with the FBI (possibly the killer himself, enjoying the spectacle)? Have we seen any proof of his working for the Feds, or is everyone just taking him at his word? Spoiled, just in case I'm hitting on something that's addressed later.

I get when someone show's up dead, and there's a love triangle (quadrangle? pentagon? Frickin' high school romance) that you would naturally suspect a lover in the killing. But then you find out they had sex with (raped by?) three people and were beaten to death, and there was another person abused in the same way at the same time (in the same location? Was that definitive that Ronnie was actually there when Laura was being abused and killed? And why wasn't Ronnie killed, too?), it kinda moves away from a lover's quarrel gone wrong in the heat of passion, and moves it towards a more deliberate, if not necessarily targeted, killing (someone wanted to KILL Laura, but did they want to kill LAURA? Was she the intended victim, or just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?)

I hope I'm not part of the problem with modern police procedurals having to spell everything out for you, with my questions above. Maybe I'm just too used to modern police procedurals having to spell everything out, and a show written almost 20 years ago isn't going to do that, and we're just going to have to take it on faith that yes, these things are linked, no we're not going to have someone mention a DNA test that they just got back that conclusively links them.

Also, I kinda want to hate Cooper for being a Marty Stu, and being able to catch every little thing, but he's just so well written and endearing, that instead of coming off as insufferably smart, he's just a really nice guy who's also really observant, and exactly how an FBI agent should have been 20 years ago, before they could run a DNA test in 20 minutes, and match everything perfectly, and oh yeah I also follow his Facebook, Twitter, and Blog, so I know exactly what he's planning, even though that was never mentioned to the viewer. There's also none of the modern "Let's just blame everyone on the thinnest of evidence until we accidentally find the right person (I loved Castle, but there were too many times where they accused three or four different people until they actually found the guilty party)" and he's actually doing a good job of running an investigation, working the evidence instead of emotion.

So, who killed Laura Palmer? My guess is (relates to my spoiler above) it's Cooper, and he's actually just pretending to be a Fed, so he can show off how smart he is to everyone or...it was Laura Palmer who killed Laura Palmer. That's right, she picked up Ronnie, went out and had a wild orgy with her and three other guys, tied Ronnie up, beat and cut up herself and Ronnie, wrapped herself in plastic and beat herself to death before dumping herself down into the river. The letter under her fingernail? Caused by a rare, previously undiagnosed birth defect.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 18, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Wa11y posted:

Wasn't there only one murder so far, before Laura's, that had a letter shoved under the fingernail? One killing isn't really a serial killing (yet), so why would the FBI get involved? A local girl killed in the town she lived in isn't really a Federal matter. It wasn't until AFTER Cooper showed up that they found out about the letter under the nail, so it's not like that's something that would have triggered the FBI showing up. Is the FBI (or Cooper) just running around every time there's a killing reported and looking under fingernails? And if the first killing with a letter under a fingernail wasn't done in Twin Peaks, why is Cooper so sure Laura's killer is still in Twin Peaks?
Is Cooper ACTUALLY working for the FBI, or is he just some guy who shows up and tells everyone he's with the FBI (possibly the killer himself, enjoying the spectacle)? Have we seen any proof of his working for the Feds, or is everyone just taking him at his word? Spoiled, just in case I'm hitting on something that's addressed later.

Ronnie was found across state lines, and the FBI tends to get involved with kidnapping cases. Cooper mentions it on the way in. As well as being near Canada, Twin Peaks is also close to Idaho (I think).

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

White Coke posted:

Ronnie was found across state lines, and the FBI tends to get involved with kidnapping cases. Cooper mentions it on the way in. As well as being near Canada, Twin Peaks is also close to Idaho (I think).

Just went back and watched that part again (thank you Netflix for showing thumbnails as you scroll through the video timeline!), and yeah, you're right. Sheriff mentions that he was lucky that Ronnie came in across state lines. So it sure sounds like the Sheriff called the Feds, and he also asked Cooper if he had any trouble finding the place, and Cooper says the directions were good, so I imagine they spoke a bit directly, probably after the Sheriff called the FBI switch board and was directed to Agent Cooper by the operator. So my spoilered question about Cooper actually being with the FBI, and not just the killer acting like he's the FBI to prove how much smarter he is than anyone else is probably completely wrong. Which probably means he also didn't kill Laura Palmer.

Going to have to rewatch and actually pay attention before I embarrass myself with more questions that are already answered by the show.

But I still stand by my belief that Cooper is Diane, just dressed in drag, and that Laura Palmer killed herself in a very complicated way so it wouldn't look like a suicide. The letter under the nail matching the other kill was just coincidental.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

I've never seen it! Reading about it, it sounds interesting.

I feel like it's one of the most prototypical small town murder mysteries out there. Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger dominate every scene they're in. In the Heat of the Night isn't weird and funny like Twin Peaks, but it's definitely worth watching.

CJacobs posted:

You might have noticed that this means just about every single major character except for Cooper and Audrey is cheating on someone.

Now just wait a second here, don't you dare smear the sheriff. :colbert: Harry is single and Josie is a widow. There is nothing wrong with them having a relationship.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The show spells out more than you might think. We're only on the second episode, generally speaking most unclear stuff will be cleared up at some point. It's only a matter of how long it will go on before being cleared up.

And More posted:

Now just wait a second here, don't you dare smear the sheriff. :colbert: Harry is single and Josie is a widow. There is nothing wrong with them having a relationship.

drat, you're right. Harry's only true sin is his jheri curls.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CJacobs posted:

drat, you're right. Harry's only true sin is his jheri curls.

if its good enough for michael jackson its good enough for anyone

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Since Twin Peaks is so close to Idaho I think the killer was one of Idaho's many potato cultists. It's like Children of the Corn there. But with potatoes.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

White Coke posted:

Since Twin Peaks is so close to Idaho I think the killer was one of Idaho's many potato cultists. It's like Children of the Corn there. But with potatoes.

You're saying Laura was murdered by Tater tots? :monocle:

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Some people are meant to be examples to follow, some of us are cautionary tales.

Got a chance this evening to watch the first episode again, and yeah, I was really dumb for not paying attention and then asking the questions I did. There is a lot going on, but they do a really good job of explaining most everything you need to know, without having to spell it all out for you. It's also simpler in how it's approached so far, you can just take things said for granted, there's not going to be a twist out of nowhere for the sake of throwing a twist. If they say Ronnie and Laura were in that same train car, tortured by the same person(s), you can be sure that they were, and they're not going to change their story in three episodes just to keep us all guessing like modern stories do. I think it's really refreshing to watch an older show that does a good job telling a story without having to throw twists at you just to keep it edgy. So far it seems to be a good story well written, that doesn't require gimmicks to keep you interested.

Though, it does stretch disbelief that this high school prom queen dating the starting quarterback, beloved by all, was actually into some really dark stuff, drug use (and possibly trafficking, maybe some blackmail, with the contents of the bank deposit box? Want to see where that goes with Ronnie in the magazine), being unfaithful to her boyfriend, and just as all of that seems to be coming to a head, THEN she happens to be abducted, tortured, and murdered by a suspected serial killer. There's gotta be SOME connection to all the bad stuff she's involved in and her murder, otherwise it'd be too coincidental, but it's just makes no sense that a cold murder from a year ago would happen to turn into a serial killer with that particular victim at that particular time. They definitely have me hooked to see where this goes.

I still have some questions about Cooper's "serial" killer, and why he was looking for it. Other than it being one year ago and in the same state, there's not much similarities that should cause him to look for the letter under the finger nail. In the town hall meeting, he says there was only one previous victim, and Laura is suspected to be the second, and Ronnie was probably going to be the third. He also says the first victim was someone who had no family and no one to look for her. Laura Palmer is exactly the opposite, with everyone in town loving her and knowing who she is. I suppose if he's the field agent for that area or state, since the first killing also happened in that state, he may just check every young female murder victim on the off chance he catches another one. Like in this case, he was called in because Ronnie was kidnapped and moved across state lines, and there just also happened to be a murder that happened to follow the MO of this other victim he's aware of. Cooper does seem the fastidious sort who might actually keep a list of "odd murders" handy and checks for tell tale signs at every murder, and just happened to hit one of them on this murder.

Wa11y posted:

RE: Diane - When he gets back from doing his field work, he dresses up like a woman, complete with a long blonde wig, goes by the name Diane, and does all his own paperwork. It's not like weirdness is unheard of in the ranks of the FBI. (Referring to the supposed cross-dressing, not the homosexuality.)
Thinking about it, I've seen pictures of David Duchovny dressed up as a woman, and I think it's related to this show, isn't it? If that's the case, I don't think they'd pull the same shtick of having a woman character played by a man character twice, so I'm recanting this idea. Diane is just one of the secretaries at the field office that help the agents out with paperwork and such. (I was never serious about this idea.)

Wa11y posted:

Also, I kinda want to hate Cooper for being a Marty Stu, and being able to catch every little thing, but he's just so well written and endearing, that instead of coming off as insufferably smart, he's just a really nice guy who's also really observant, and exactly how an FBI agent should have been 20 years ago, before they could run a DNA test in 20 minutes, and match everything perfectly, and oh yeah I also follow his Facebook, Twitter, and Blog, so I know exactly what he's planning, even though that was never mentioned to the viewer. There's also none of the modern "Let's just blame everyone on the thinnest of evidence until we accidentally find the right person (I loved Castle, but there were too many times where they accused three or four different people until they actually found the guilty party)" and he's actually doing a good job of running an investigation, working the evidence instead of emotion.

Watching it again, Cooper didn't just happen to be looking at the reflection in Laura's eye in the video tape to see the motorcycle, he saw Bobby paying close attention to the video after Cooper mentioned Laura and Donna being with someone else, and it was Bobby who caught the reflection of the motorcycle in Laura's eye, and reacted to it, and Cooper saw his reaction and looked at the video to see what he found. So again, he's really well written that most of his clues are coming from watching others' body language and cluing in on that, rather than just being super observant and catching things no one else did.

I also feel bad about the "Laura killed herself" theory, since they straight up say Ronnie was raped when Cooper first sees her in the hospital. I was paying a bit more attention during the second episode when the doctor is going over the autopsy, and they don't specifically say she was raped, just that there were multiple men, so I didn't think it was proven as rape. I'm batting a thousand here. (I also was not serious about this idea either.)

I do want Leo to die though. I want him to die painfully and scared.

Edit:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is Diane just what Cooper calls his dictaphone?

I doubt it. When he pulls the R out from under Laura's finger, he asks Diane to send it to Alan instead of Sam. If Diane were just the dictaphone, he would probably have said "Remind me to send it to..."

Its weird how its like he's having a realtime conversation with Diane, but he's not. I keep expecting his recorder to be a cell phone. Which also makes me wonder how he's getting these tapes to Diane. Daily courier? Long, after hours phone calls where he just plays the tape for her voicemail?

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 18, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

And More posted:

You're saying Laura was murdered by Tater tots? :monocle:

:five:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ironically, one of the things I think Deadly Premonition actually does better than Twin Peaks is giving an immediate reason for the detective to be in the town. York, like Coop, is chasing a murder trail with similar victims under similar circumstances. But when prompted about that, York whips a whole bunch of red seeds out of his coat, whereas Cooper doesn't have much to show for it. I think they could have benefited from making Twin Peaks' murder trail a bit longer, but I think they didn't want to imply our boy Coop is in any way inept at his job, so they were very careful about his past successes and failures.

edit: That said, neither of them match up to Nightingale and the slipshod reason he is in Bright Falls. The game does some pretty interesting stuff behind the scenes with his backstory though so I'm willing to forgive it.

Wa11y posted:

Watching it again, Cooper didn't just happen to be looking at the reflection in Laura's eye in the video tape to see the motorcycle, he saw Bobby paying close attention to the video after Cooper mentioned Laura and Donna being with someone else, and it was Bobby who caught the reflection of the motorcycle in Laura's eye, and reacted to it, and Cooper saw his reaction and looked at the video to see what he found. So again, he's really well written that most of his clues are coming from watching others' body language and cluing in on that, rather than just being super observant and catching things no one else did.

I also did not notice this! Very interesting.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 18, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Nightingale is in Bright Falls to save the world from the evils of Alan Wake. How can Cooper or York compare to that?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

White Coke posted:

Nightingale is in Bright Falls to save the world from the evils of Alan Wake. How can Cooper or York compare to that?

"Okay, put the flashlight down, David Lynch"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nightingale provides a perfect foil for Dale Cooper. He's a walking cartoon character without any relatable character traits.

He probably doesn't even appreciate good coffee.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Nightingale provides a perfect foil for Dale Cooper. He's a walking cartoon character without any relatable character traits.

He probably doesn't even appreciate good coffee.
Nightengale is on a strict no-caffiene diet, and his pre-diabetic condition means he can't have bitchin' cherry pies or hot donuts either. It's why he's so grumpy, honestly.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Watching through Twin Peaks while I was already watching through Stargate SG-1 is kinda funny, because the Major is also the General in Stargate.

I've decided that it's the same character - dealing with Bobby made him really grumpy, and that's why he's always like "no, SG-1, you're not allowed to go save the day or whatever." He's just really tired of people rebelling against his authority!

This idea is subject to change after seeing more Twin Peaks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's even wearing a uniform when we see him! Both Major Garland and General Hammond were airmen, too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gonna be doing a 12 hour stream tomorrow starting between probably 10 and noon CST. I'll be honest with you: I have multiple thousands of dollars in medical bills to pay for my kidney stones (despite having insurance) and I need help, but I don't want to ruin my credit score by taking out a loan I can't pay back quickly. So the goal of the stream is to raise money in the name of paying them off without doing that. gently caress the US healthcare system.

I know it's taboo to talk about shilling for cashola on the forums but there's really no pressure to donate, I will survive with or without your money. I am not here or doing this solely to ask you to fund my life. I encourage you to just come hang out and support me as I destroy my body. There'll be a wide variety of stuff to watch and enjoy, from more Deadly Premonition to probably making a Doom map when I start getting sleepy.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 18, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Gonna be doing a 12 hour stream tomorrow starting between probably 10 and noon CST. I'll be honest with you: I have multiple thousands of dollars in medical bills to pay for my kidney stones (despite having insurance) and I need help, but I don't want to ruin my credit score by taking out a loan I can't pay back quickly. So the goal of the stream is to raise money in the name of paying them off without doing that. gently caress the US healthcare system.

I know it's taboo to talk about shilling for cashola on the forums but there's really no pressure to donate, I will survive with or without your money. I am not here or doing this solely to ask you to fund my life. I encourage you to just come hang out and support me as I destroy my body. There'll be a wide variety of stuff to watch and enjoy, from more Deadly Premonition to probably making a Doom map when I start getting sleepy.

I know the struggle. Boy, do I know it.

Medical bills, not the kidney stones.

Gonna clear up my schedule for this one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't clear it yet, I sprained something in my shoulder and it's hurting real bad so I don't really feel like doing anything at the moment. If I don't feel any better by tomorrow I'll postpone it to next week. Will keep the thread updated.

edit: I am starting to think I am cursed, like I'm an ancient vessel for medical problems for all the people who don't get medical problems.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 18, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's the LP curse, CJakes.

PM me your PayPal so's I can kick you a couple of bucks for being a great guy.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Don't clear it yet, I sprained something in my shoulder and it's hurting real bad so I don't really feel like doing anything at the moment. If I don't feel any better by tomorrow I'll postpone it to next week. Will keep the thread updated.

edit: I am starting to think I am cursed, like I'm an ancient vessel for medical problems for all the people who don't get medical problems.

It's the ghost of Suda51 haunting you for dropping the Let it Die LP before it began.

Luchadors are really vengeful like that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I am starting to think I am cursed, like I'm an ancient vessel for medical problems for all the people who don't get medical problems.

God is punishing you for doing so many wonderful LPs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, forget it, I'm gonna do it next sunday. I don't think I would be very funny if I did it tomorrow so there's not much point. On the bright side, Alan Wake will update tomorrow as usual!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Alright, then take care of your arm. Suffering is funny, prolonged suffering less so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

All Alan wanted was a pepsi! Just one pepsi! And Hartman wouldn't give it to him!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 21, 2017

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm beginning to think this Alan Awake guy is a bit of a psychopath. Just look at that smirk on his face after he sentenced that man to death.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Part of me wishes they strung out the "You're actually crazy Alan/player" angle a little bit longer before going back to business as usual. But since this is a Remedy game and isn't a game just about Alan Wake the other part of me realizes that of course the player doesn't believe their character is actually going crazy because this is a video game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also kind of wished the same when I was playing. You can tell right from the start that they weren't even going to try to pretend because Alan still has the bandage from the car crash at the start of the game, which obviously he wouldn't have if it didn't actually happen as Hartman suggests.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Five bucks says Barry keeps that cardboard cutout of Alan Awake in his truck all the time so he can trick his way into carpool lanes.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Five bucks says Barry keeps that cardboard cutout of Alan Awake in his truck all the time so he can trick his way into carpool lanes.

Not gonna lie, that's pretty ingenious.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The physics on these doors are really weird. You push them just enough and back off, they open inward with a lot of force.

I broke his walking animation.

My favorite part.

If they start moving, they never lose momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Are psychiatrists ever positively portrayed in media?

Also, re: Twin Peaks - the first thing I thought after seeing the first episode was "Is anyone loving who they should be loving in this town?!"

• Locked thread