Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

White Coke posted:

I wonder how much effect Alan had in defining the Dark Presence in addition to empowering it. It needs to work through people, whether it's by possessing people or more abstractly by making Alan's story come true, so maybe Alan or someone else could be beat it by recreating that episode of Futurama where Fry beat the Brainspawn by trapping them in a prison of "plot holes and spelling errors".

I was thinking about who gave it what powers. I think Zane is responsible for the Taken and for the Dark Presence in general. This shadowy existence that lurks inside of people, puppeting them in this twisted pantomime of their former life seems like something a poet would create.

Alan is definitely responsible for the poltergeists. He says as much when he talks about the objects coming to life as being like right out of a Steven King novel.

The crows were probably from the Old Gods. There are some lines in Children of the Elder Gods that mention them, I think.

EDIT: Also, I really want a prequel to this game where you play as the Old Gods during their fight with the dark presence. Playing at Tor fighting off waves of Taken with an electrified hammer while Odin shreds on an electric guitar behind you.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gothsheep posted:

So everybody loves this part of the game for the stage fight, which is awesome. However, I also think this is the best written part of the game from the meta-narrative standpoint. Now, that's a really wanky term, but it's an important one in Alan Wake.

Whenever I explain this game to someone, I always tell them Alan Wake is about two authors arguing over what the genre of the story is going to be. There's a lot going on during the time Alan is actually writing the story, and you get bits of it from the television flashbacks, but a lot of it you only really get if you watch how the story unfolds.

Basically the game starts off straight horror. You're powerless, hunted by shadowy figures you don't understand, with no idea what's going on or why. Even if it made sense in the plot, something like that fight on the stage wouldn't have fit in the earlier parts of the game just because it would have been such a shift in tone.

But as was pointed out in the last television bit, Alan decided to steadily push the genre out of horror and towards action, where the darkness could be defeated. In the last couple chapters, he discovered the actual enemy was this 'dark presence' all along, talked to the Old Gods who gave him a goal for how he might learn how to beat it, and killed off the distractions so the plot could focus entirely on the main villain.

What I really like about that though, is that this shift coincided with his second dunk in the lake. The story really started the first time he jumped into the lake to try and save Alice. Then the shift away from horror and towards action started after he fell into the lake again, but this second time he was carrying a flare. (which a story page noted could burn underwater)

Anyway, I always thought that was a really neat angle in the game that's never really directly touched on.

Haha, this is pretty good! I like it! And you're right, too- starting with probably the sentient bulldozer, the game very gradually begins to shift from horror to action.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of games like alan wake tend to have the point where the player shifts into a position of being able to reliably fight back against whatever they're against, but, very few of them have such a focus on the literal 'story' bit of it all so it really sticks out in this game. especially if you're reading all the pages that you find.

also barry is really good and the stage fight is a great place for that to show. he also keeps being great all through the dlcs for various reasons.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Gothsheep posted:

Basically the game starts off straight horror. You're powerless, hunted by shadowy figures you don't understand, with no idea what's going on or why. Even if it made sense in the plot, something like that fight on the stage wouldn't have fit in the earlier parts of the game just because it would have been such a shift in tone.

I like your interpretation. A few good moments in the early game break up the "creepier" bits, but toward the end, Alan Wake adopts the confident mindset of any FPS protagonist. Overall, I think the game paces the slower and faster gameplay sections well.

To add more to what you said, I think the shift from horror to action is summed up by the description provided on the front of the box: psychological action thriller. The game is never really a horror game. The horror elements come from an almost academic appreciation of horror. Alan Wake's internal monologue is well aware of the horror stereotypes and tells the player not to be clever but to separate itself from being labeled as a horror game. It is an action game based on a psychological question. However, games like Silent Hill 2 have married "psychological" to "horror", establishing a preconceived standard in the player. Early reviews pointed out the lack of scares in the game, which, I felt, only pointed out how generic we expect a scary game to be. The reviews showed a lack of imagination on the reviewer's part. Alan Wake's real horror comes from a more confusing, convoluted place that most people won't care to venture to.

As such, I can ask the question "when does the events of the game (by which I mean the parts controlled by the player) take place?" Alan-TV talks about moving the book from horror, because Alice will have to die in a horror story. Alan-Game hears this revelation from Alan-TV. This means Alan-TV either wrote his appearance into the manuscript that controls Alan-Game's action, or possibly that Alan-Game's events happen while Alan-TV writes. If the latter is true, the brief flashes from the TV show concurrent brief moments when Alan-TV breaks the spell and sees his work as a living creature. The real Alan still sits in the sunken cabin typing away. Alan-Game doesn't discover manuscript pages because they were blown away by supernatural winds, he discovers them because the real Alan wants him to find them, possibly to make the story more interesting.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

These readings are great and make sense.

But what about the coffee thermoses?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

These readings are great and make sense.

Both an element to show homage to Twin Peaks, and something to collect for collection's sake.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they represent the many shattered pieces of alan wake's self worth, causing him to lash out at those around him

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I've already talked about how you can interpret Alan as an alcoholic. The many thermoses are his vain attempt to treat his addiction with another addiction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Highway posted:

As such, I can ask the question "when does the events of the game (by which I mean the parts controlled by the player) take place?" Alan-TV talks about moving the book from horror, because Alice will have to die in a horror story. Alan-Game hears this revelation from Alan-TV. This means Alan-TV either wrote his appearance into the manuscript that controls Alan-Game's action, or possibly that Alan-Game's events happen while Alan-TV writes. If the latter is true, the brief flashes from the TV show concurrent brief moments when Alan-TV breaks the spell and sees his work as a living creature. The real Alan still sits in the sunken cabin typing away. Alan-Game doesn't discover manuscript pages because they were blown away by supernatural winds, he discovers them because the real Alan wants him to find them, possibly to make the story more interesting.

The game's never entirely clear on that point, as far as I remember. All it ever says outright is that in-game events (starting from Alan waking up after his first dunk in the lake) take place a week after Alan and Alice arrive in Bright Falls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark-Place-Alan presumably is writing the game as we are playing it, with occasional breaks to do his third-wall-breaking monologues to ingame-Alan to clue him in on what's going on, point him in the right direction outside of the narrative as Thomas Zane does. Or, alternatively, Dark-Place-Alan wrote his communications with ingame-Alan into the story and they're not ad libbed at all. Who knows!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Talking about being tall on your latest DS3 stream;

I feel you on the height bullshit, I'm 6'5", and it sucks. Gotta order tall shirts online, and I wear size 15 shoes, so those are a pain in the rear end to find too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs is the tallest LP boy.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Haerc posted:

Talking about being tall on your latest DS3 stream;

I feel you on the height bullshit, I'm 6'5", and it sucks. Gotta order tall shirts online, and I wear size 15 shoes, so those are a pain in the rear end to find too.

Same. I'm pretty sure my boss hired me partly because I can reach heavy stuff on higher shelves than everyone else at the store I work at.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Consider this...... Cjacobs is a tall fellow. All the dark souls bosses are taller than the playable character.

Therefore cjacobs is secretly a Lord.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

All those safety videos about the dangers of farm equipment are starting to make more sense now.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 7, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alan Wake is like LA Beast drinking that old-rear end moonshine.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

Bad news about the Twin Peaks watchalong. I've decided that I don't really wanna bother with it, sorry. It was fun, but I'd have to really squeeze to fit the whole show in before the Alan Wake LPs are over. I also am just not really in a good creative spot at the moment. On the bright side, you can watch the rest of the series now without having to wait patiently for me to get off my clinically depressed rear end and do another writeup! I hope I helped get some people into the show and hopefully get hyped for its return in May. Thanks for participating, everyone!

Sad to see it go, I really enjoyed the writeups but I suppose there's only so much you can write for every episode, and it is probably a big drain on you to think so critically about it. I appreciate the writeups thus far and I'm now watching through it with my girlfriend for the May return.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I wouldn't mind living in Skippy Granola's Canadian Nightmare.

I also love the cheapo TV drama effect Remedy went with when Alan drove off a cliff.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 17, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I missed the stream, how tall is CJacobs?

value-brand cereal posted:

Consider this...... Cjacobs is a tall fellow. All the dark souls bosses are taller than the playable character.

Therefore cjacobs is secretly a Lord.

CJacobs is Gwyn's firstborn!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Sad to see it go, I really enjoyed the writeups but I suppose there's only so much you can write for every episode, and it is probably a big drain on you to think so critically about it. I appreciate the writeups thus far and I'm now watching through it with my girlfriend for the May return.

Yeah I also was concerned about running out of things to say about it. I didn't want it to end up being all like "well this episode was good, show is still genius! See ya next week!" And plus, the blog/news site Nerdist has their own Twin Peaks watchalong that I encourage you to check out if you still want one to, uh, watch along with!

White Coke posted:

I missed the stream, how tall is CJacobs?

6 foot 2. I am a tall skinny weirdly proportioned freak of nature.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 17, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I blame you both for now mentally calling things "a spicy <noun>" these days.

Also I really enjoyed the music here. I would totally attend a Valhalla concert!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the Dark Souls 3 streams, right at this very moment I am starting my stream of the final DLC, totally blind! Come watch me have fun and possibly also suffer!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

now i wish i wasn't at work right now

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sorry to hear about the Twin Peaks cancellation. My coffee warned me about it, but I didn't think much of it at the time.

On the other hand, hearing Skippy say "Bloobie" is probably the cutest thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I really wished the game had you fight the harvester in the middle of a grown corn/wheat field that it gradually cleared out.

Oh wait, no, marijuana field, this is the Anderson farm after all.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Kibayasu posted:

I really wished the game had you fight the harvester in the middle of a grown corn/wheat field that it gradually cleared out.

Oh wait, no, marijuana field, this is the Anderson farm after all.

Alan Wake's Reefer Madness.

It ends up playing out like that mission in Far Cry 3.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 18, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's a real pity they cut the fight with the mammoth skeleton.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Alan Wake's Reefer Madness.

It ends up playing out like that mission in Far Cry 3.

Footage from the latest Alan Wake DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2J7SKcsWnw

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

lotta griping from 6'5 manlets itt

get on my level of 6'8

cjacobs I witnessed your glorious victory against the final DS3 ringed city dlc boss and want to thank you for streaming both since they were highly entertaining. I bought the season pass when I purchased the game, but found their level of BS too great for me to want to play through them. Your chill streams were a good compromise to catching the content "blind."

re: Alan Wake - I liked the twilight zone rip-off's line about "the guy in the diving suit" being a dream. neat blurring of multiple fictions.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one of the things i liked about alan wake is that you can tell the devs definitely had fun with the game when they made stuff like the night springs episodes. not everyone would go through the effort of making goofy little live-action fake tv shows in their game

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Johnny Joestar posted:

one of the things i liked about alan wake is that you can tell the devs definitely had fun with the game when they made stuff like the night springs episodes. not everyone would go through the effort of making goofy little live-action fake tv shows in their game

Yeah, Alan Wake is a real labor of love. It shows in a million little ways, and they all come together to make a narrative that feels really comfortable with itself. I think my favorite little moment so far was Barry unloading on Alan. In general Barry is a character who could have really been awful, there's a real balance in his execution you don't often see in video games.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the writing stays pretty good even throughout the dlc chapters as well, which is nice. i'm looking forward to those for varying reasons.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, Alan Wake is a real labor of love. It shows in a million little ways, and they all come together to make a narrative that feels really comfortable with itself. I think my favorite little moment so far was Barry unloading on Alan. In general Barry is a character who could have really been awful, there's a real balance in his execution you don't often see in video games.
I was a bit "oh boy it's this character" when he first showed up but that apprehension has long since passed. What a good guy, this Barry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, for those that didn't watch the DS3 streams, I'm doing a tiny little something alongside Bloodborne once American Nightmare finishes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Kl4H2x1d8

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I think that test was the equivalent of the professor realizing they left all the tests in their office across campus and doesn't feel like a fifteen minute jog to go g

wait what were the last few moments of that clip

CJACOBS YOU BUSY BEE YOU HOLY poo poo

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice. Hopefully I've actually played DS3 myself by the time you get to it. (I've got a bit of a games backlog going.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hi, sorry this LP kinda went kaput. After Kidney Stones: The Revenge, I fell behind on my school stuff, way behind on some of them. It made me a little bit depressed, and I hate feeling that way, so I stepped back to focus on myself and fixing my problems for a while. It's now finals week and I'm pretty much all caught up, and I don't have any classes this summer, which means I'm gonna be a speedy speed boy wrt finishing this let's play! So look forward to that. It's just been a stressful time for me, and it's almost over!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Obv. real life takes all precedence over any L.P. Just glad to her from you, and that you are doing better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This reminds me of the time I took summer classes during Uni.

I will never take summer classes again.

• Locked thread