Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I caught some of the stream yesterday. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, wow. Though I am Australian, I've never seen that game in action before. It was a surprisingly weird feeling to see Australian environments (however cartoonified) in a computer game. A bit more northern and tropical than I'm used to though... it's a bit odd, actually. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. Tasmania is about as far from the tropics as you can get in Australia; it's the literal southern tip of the country.

Anyway, the "Strine" levels in that game are unbelievable. You can guarantee that the (Australian, as mentioned in the stream) developers were cringing hard enough to develop hernias making the game. No-one is that Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I made this as I was listening to the episode, but thought "Well, gently caress, is it alright to ironically post poo poo 'fan-art'?" but since people have posted some decent stuff~

Only YOU can prevent forest chain-saw massacres.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 18, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am proud of you all for creating all this Thermy art, regardless of your ability! Keep it coming!!

Also, my next college semester has started so updates will slow down a bit. I'm gonna be much busier this semester than my past few ones so my free time will be dwindling. I will do my best to give you one a week! Excluding supplemental stuff like the manuscript pages.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Can I ask what your major is, CJacobs?

Honestly, I'm amazed college students have any free time in which to do poo poo like record LP videos. The effort is appreciated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am majoring in Digital Media Communications- stuff like marketing and advertising through use of ~visual media~. Think advertisements, commercials, etc. The stuff I'm learning is actually mostly stuff I already know re: video editing, 3D modeling and animation, etc. but that's okay. My degree is more focused on the creation aspect of it than the business aspect, but I can pick up a few classes for that and maybe minor in business or something probably.

It's not actually what I want to do for a living because the advertising world is terrible but it's a pretty good bridge between the freelance work that I do now (and the let's play stuff of course!) and a professional environment. But it's a general degree that can be applied to a lot of stuff, so once I have some work experience from there I can move up to doing what I actually wanna do, which I do not know what that is yet!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 18, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Cool. So LPing is practical experience!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How often do you slip subliminal messages into your LPs?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

White Coke posted:

Subliminal messages in an LP? That's just absurd

Now if you excuse me I have some coffee to warm up

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

JT Jag posted:

Subliminal messages in an LP? That's just absurd

Now if you excuse me I have some dragon dildos to warm up

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KieranWalker posted:

Cool. So LPing is practical experience!

Yeah, kinda!

White Coke posted:

Actually for the past 4 episodes I've been quietly beaming "Follow Skippy Granola on Twitch" into your heads, I'm sorry you had to find out this way

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Actually for the past 4 episodes I've been quietly beaming "Follow Skippy Granola on Twitch" into your heads, I'm sorry you had to find out this way

Then why have I been waking up, my hands covered in blood?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's from trying to keep up with the Twitch chat.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

White Coke posted:

Then why have I been waking up, my hands covered in blood?

Did you misread the message as "Follow Satan's Grandkids on twitch"? Because I get a lot of folks in my chat saying "Who shall we slay, dark lord? Kappa Biblethump"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
CJacobs - "Alan has to get to the light for safety. And that light is Islam."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This got posted in the AUG thread and I couldn't shake the feeling that the guy looks a lot like Alan Wake on a bender.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"My mid-life crisis hit me harder than I thought it would."

Next episode is rendering now, will probably be up tomorrow sometime. Terror! Excitement! Watch Alan and Barry slowly trundle after a man with a limp while he expounds about the glorious Skyboat! Expect the manuscript pages for this past episode too!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

"My mid-life crisis hit me harder than I thought it would."

Next episode is rendering now, will probably be up tomorrow sometime. Terror! Excitement! Watch Alan and Barry slowly trundle after a man with a limp while he expounds about the glorious Skyboat! Expect the manuscript pages for this past episode too!

It'll be nice to have something with less terribly written horror speeches and indescribable darkness than the inauguration to watch, at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nice piece of fish posted:

It'll be nice to have something with less terribly written horror speeches and indescribable darkness than the inauguration to watch, at least.

Agreed! :suicide:

And hey, because I didn't wanna just delete it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMcCWL7sjvk

Here's just a little bit of a trailer I was making for the Bloodborne LP that I'm not gonna finish. I really like how it was turning out but it doesn't much fit the tone of the LP, gonna go with something slower for the real thing. Song is "Mene" by Brand New.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It does seem to fight the tone of the imagery a bit.

I'm looking forward to the Bloodborne LP, though. In a roundabout way, Slowbeef's LP of it was what got me to finally give Dark Souls a try, and now I lovehate Souls games! (Recently bought DS3 in a sale, plus an XB1 gamepad to replace my literally creaky old ~2007-vintage 360 gamepad, so I'll be getting to it soon-ish.) Anyway I enjoyed Slowbeef's LP, but it'll be good to see an informative, non-blind take on it.

Still wish I could play Bloodborne myself, though. Yep. Sure do. (:pcgaming:)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

As it turns out, Alan Wake is Sam Lake in real life. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

This Nightingale guy seems like a pretty well-read fellow. Maybe he's been to a lot of book fairs in his day. I guess he could be part of some kind of alcoholic book club or something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CJacobs posted:

This Nightingale guy seems like a pretty well-read fellow. Maybe he's been to a lot of book fairs in his day. I guess he could be part of some kind of alcoholic book club or something.
So, a book club.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Nightingale suffers from "Castle Syndrome". In the show Castle, whenever characters talk about authors, they use three "celebrity" names, such as Stephen King, Dan Brown, and JK Rowling. (In fact, I think there's an episode where a character, possibly Castle, lumps those three authors together (it's been a long while since I watched the show)). The list of names actually show an ignorance over the subject matter. In trying to show knowledge over the subject, the examples raise questions on their inclusion. The names used are used solely because they are well-known, not because they are the most appropriate names to use. There are, however, lots of problems I like to call "Castle Syndrome".

Of course, Nightingale is not a bad example. He at least keeps his references within, or at least near, the same genre. I just think he's an attempt for the Alan Wake writer's (Sam Lake as well as unknown people who may have helped) to stroke their egos and to relieve any doubt that Alan Wake is a substitute for Stephen King.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Those 320 jackets serve as protective padding for falling off of all those cliffs.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Or it's possible that Nightingale is just an rear end in a top hat who calls Alan Wake by the name of whatever other famous author comes to mind to show his disdain for the 'famous writer' in general.

I wonder what crime Alan is being investigated for that brought the FBI in. The murder of his wife? That isn't a federal crime unless it crossed state lines.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, Wake obviously can't think of anything original. An FBI agent named after a bird? Thomas Harris would want to have a word. No wonder Nightingale thinks Allan is a hack.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

thank mr skyboat

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If authorities believed that Alan lured his wife out to this 'retreat' so he could kill her then the FBI may investigate that, if he was in a national park when they thought he committed the murder they would also have jurisdiction. Considering he was already in police custody at one point but allowed to walk out the front doors without any charges I'm not sure why the FBI would be called in...

I get the idea that Nightingale is just your usual brash, "sophisticated" rear end in a top hat government agent that thinks local law enforcement is beneath him and that the rules don't apply to him. He's also calling Wake by random names in an effort to mock him or his profession. Your standard, shallow cliched character with zero depth. Exactly what you'd expect to find in a Wake novel, apparently.

It's probably a good thing that the shadow creatures vanish when they're defeated or the FBI may have a lot more to build their case on. It's pretty hard to explain how one unarmed man can destroy 6 patrol cars and take down a helicopter, but a forest full of dead sheriff's deputies that were chasing you? That's a tad more difficult to feign ignorance on.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

I randomly decided to screenshot a license plate that clearly says Washington. It has a unique texture in the game, as every other vehicle uses a low-res texture that looks straight out of a PS1 game. I apparently knew it was going to stick out, because this game has some weird design decisions. Is my computer messing with me?

Around here is where the deputies die from the invisible thing. It is called a poltergeist, which I don't think the game explicitly called it that until the sequel. There is a spot where you can go down the cliff and reach the lower level, but you see the death fall of Alan crumpling into a heap as he falls a few feet.

Here is a much higher fall you can take and survive, just for comparison's sake. It is in bounds, so no death drop.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wish Nightingale just chased you this entire level shouting random authors.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009
So what comes after you isn't even some podunk police helicopter it looks like a proper military aircraft.

I'd call this unrealistic but eh, grants.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Kibayasu posted:

"I'll get you yet, Wake! You hear me, Stephen King?! Ya get me, Charles Dickens?!! I'll won't rest until you're in bracelets, Orwell! Um..."
*sound of Nightingale thumbing through Wikipedia on his phone*
"...yeah you, Jane Austen!"

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I think Macgyver and Dan Brown both took their ideas from the same place i.e. this book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Blood_and_the_Holy_Grail

I think it was a pretty popular book/pet theory in the 80's.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'd go to Wakeworld. Not to kill anyone, just to hear some robot tell me I'm a good writer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Nice lens flare, CJacobs.

As for Nightingale, the game has merely suggested it up to this point, but the sheriff did not call in the FBI and she doesn't know any more about his motivations than Alan or the player do right now. I take his calling Wake by names of random horror authors less Alan comparing himself to them and more mockery of him and his profession, like Psychotic Weasel said. Basically, Nightingale is being an ignorant twat about it.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Gothsheep posted:

Or it's possible that Nightingale is just an rear end in a top hat who calls Alan Wake by the name of whatever other famous author comes to mind to show his disdain for the 'famous writer' in general.

I wonder what crime Alan is being investigated for that brought the FBI in. The murder of his wife? That isn't a federal crime unless it crossed state lines.

You also can't discredit the fact that Alan Wake wrote Nightingale. So Alan Wake (author of the events of the game) made Nightingale call Alan Wake (character within the events of the game) different famous authors. Maybe Alan Wake wants to be compared to Dan Brown, or maybe Alan Wake figured that Nightingale would uses famous writers derogatorily. Perhaps Alan Wake wanted to show that Nightingale is ignorant of writers and therefore relies on famous names. This way, the more invested audience could gain an instant insight into Nightingale's character. Disdainfully calling Alan Wake "Hemingway" or "Spillane" shows that Nightingale has other reasons that simple federal law enforcement. Or, perhaps, Alan Wake, mediocre writer, wanted a character whom the ignorant audience could follow. Nightingale calls Alan Wake "Dan Brown" and "HP Lovecraft" (but not "Ernest Hemingway" or "Mickey Spillane"?) to appeal to the audience wanting an action with only hints to Alan Wake's oeuvre. In one way, the more receptive audience learns about Nightingale. In another way, the less receptive audiences keep up the mystique of Alan Wake's writing prowess.

Speaking of insight, I want to see Bloodborne's fishing hamlet, but with Skyboat instead of Kos.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Way I'm figuring, Nightingale is using the names of other authors just to gently caress with Alan. He calls him Wake when talking to the sheriff on the radio.

Good point about Nightingale's character being written like that even in universe, though. He is basically a walking stereotype, and I don't think he grows much as a character during the course of the game. An alcoholic FBI agent with an itchy trigger finger? Come on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, The Alan Wake Files expands pretty heavily on Nightingale and what his deal is and (most importantly) where the hell he came from all of a sudden, but we're not there yet. Expect more info about the guy after I post a future episode! It's not too substantial, but it does explain his motivations a little better than the game itself does.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
A little late on the train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
YEESSS :woop: