Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

For the record, The Alan Wake Files expands pretty heavily on Nightingale and what his deal is and (most importantly) where the hell he came from all of a sudden, but we're not there yet. Expect more info about the guy after I post a future episode! It's not too substantial, but it does explain his motivations a little better than the game itself does.

Is he possessed of a shred of self awareness that he is a fictional character, and wants to kill Alan because of how poorly written he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought they had to be special agents to carry a gun? Is Deadly Premonition wrong?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought they had to be special agents to carry a gun? Is Deadly Premonition wrong?

If I remember correctly, the difference between agent and special agent is that a special agent has the authority to arrest people. I can't say if agents carry guns or not though but I'd assume so.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
O Holy Skyboat!
Doing pinnace for our sins!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Neophyte posted:

O Holy Skyboat!
Doing pinnace for our sins!

In the name of the schooner, the tub and the Holy boat, amen

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Zeniel posted:

If I remember correctly, the difference between agent and special agent is that a special agent has the authority to arrest people. I can't say if agents carry guns or not though but I'd assume so.

Maybe that's why Nightingale tried to kill Alan. He isn't allowed to arrest him, but he can gun him down. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwJvDBs_Jz0

I played through the entirety of Resident Evil 7 tonight in one sitting! It was super duper fun! If you don't plan on buying the game or don't mind spoilers, you should watch it, I had a great time and the chat was great too. Maybe don't watch it in one sitting because it's 8 hours long.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

CJacobs posted:

I played through the entirety of Resident Evil 7 tonight in one sitting! It was super duper fun! If you don't plan on buying the game or don't mind spoilers, you should watch it, I had a great time and the chat was great too. Maybe don't watch it in one sitting because it's 8 hours long.

I'm chewing through the game slowly on account of my studies, and it's great. Quite the departure from the last few games but it's got way more personality imo. Shame to learn it can be played through in eight hours, but whatevs.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Cakefarts Carol posted:

I'm chewing through the game slowly on account of my studies, and it's great. Quite the departure from the last few games but it's got way more personality imo. Shame to learn it can be played through in eight hours, but whatevs.

The length really seems justified considering how much attention to detail went into every room in that game. It's the horror gaming equivalent of that Hoarders show. Everything is just crammed full of knick-knacks and rotting garbage. There is also going to be free DLC, so it's not technically the full game.

edit: Gotta say, the highlight of the game definitely is the boss fight in the garage. Nothing beats daddy taking you on a joyride.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
appropos of nothing

https://twitter.com/alanwakenbake

holy poo poo it actually is already taken

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well that was... different. Not sure what I expected with all the RE reboots and offshoots there's been over the years. Wonder where they'll go next with that.

Gotta say though, the scariest thing about that game was this recommendation:

Showing up in my queue afterwards.

Thanks for that.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

I only got in on the back half of the stream, but now I've watched an hour or so of the beginning on double speed, and the movement looks normal under that condition.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Aw, I'd love to watch the stream - it sounds like and all-round good time - but I think I want to play RE7 myself at some point. The reviews I've seen so far seem fairly positive.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CJacobs posted:

appropos of nothing

try for @alanwoke

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scaramouche posted:

try for @alanwoke

https://twitter.com/alanwoke

I've got bad news.

edit: the bad news is I've been planning this lp 6 years in advance and it's all part of an arg

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

appropos of nothing

@TheRealAlanWake

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

I know this might be an odd question, but is there any way you could upload the full video as a downloadable file? My Internet's being a little spotty right now (it's monsoon season here in Malaysia), and it's really annoying to watch a video that's hitching all the time.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

I'm being savaged in fiction!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:vince: Excellent, Raiden! Very good!

CommissarMega posted:

I know this might be an odd question, but is there any way you could upload the full video as a downloadable file? My Internet's being a little spotty right now (it's monsoon season here in Malaysia), and it's really annoying to watch a video that's hitching all the time.

Just tried grabbing it from my channel (Youtube lets you download your own vids now) and it's 6 gigabytes large which I guess makes sense because it's 720p and 8 hours long. Do you still want it?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

You can just use something like JDownloader 2 for that.

Edit: I was a bit vague there; the program lets you download youtube videos (lots of different things, really) by copying the url while the program is running. It monitors the clipboard for links.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 26, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

Just tried grabbing it from my channel (Youtube lets you download your own vids now) and it's 6 gigabytes large which I guess makes sense because it's 720p and 8 hours long. Do you still want it?

Yes please :shobon:

Antistar01 posted:

I was a bit vague there; the program lets you download youtube videos (lots of different things, really) by copying the url while the program is running. It monitors the clipboard for links.

For some reason, it ends up as a massive 12 GB download, instead of CJacobs's 6.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

For some reason, it ends up as a massive 12 GB download, instead of CJacobs's 6.

Ah yeah, I see; it's a bit misleading. The 12 GB is a total for the different things you can download via that link. If you expand that item you'll see that the video is only 6 GB; it'd be the same thing CJacobs has access to.

The audio track accounts for the other 6 GB, but the program does typically misreport how big the audio track for a video is.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Antistar01 posted:

Ah yeah, I see; it's a bit misleading. The 12 GB is a total for the different things you can download via that link. If you expand that item you'll see that the video is only 6 GB; it'd be the same thing CJacobs has access to.

The audio track accounts for the other 6 GB, but the program does typically misreport how big the audio track for a video is.

Oooooh, okay, man I feel dumb :downs: Man, I hope I haven't put CJacobs though any trouble.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, it's no big deal. Finding a place to host it as a download would be the hardest part really! :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In case this ever comes up again, you can also download youtube videos (kind of) using VLC media player.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Skippy Granola posted:

I'm being savaged in fiction!

Best avatar/post combo ever.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Stop getting stung by bees you rear end in a top hat!

(actually from his madhouse run)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

Just throwing it out there that this was a really fun watch, the game lends itself excellently to LP-ing and your commentary is funny and entertaining throughout. A+

I especially enjoyed the part around 2:55 when you freaked out about the spiders and started discharging the shotgun uncontrollably into nothing and had to pause the game, that just cracked me the hell up. Made me kinda wish you'd played it in VR.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just throwing it out there that this was a really fun watch, the game lends itself excellently to LP-ing and your commentary is funny and entertaining throughout. A+

I especially enjoyed the part around 2:55 when you freaked out about the spiders and started discharging the shotgun uncontrollably into nothing and had to pause the game, that just cracked me the hell up. Made me kinda wish you'd played it in VR.

On the other hand, I'm watching him do the Madhouse difficulty and every now and again I have to just stop because it's too infuriating to watch. I swear nothing has everriled up the backseat gamer in me as this. Why aren't you using your crafting items? You have solid fuel and chem fluid, you can make burner ammo but instead you're getting stung to death by bees and complaining about it, and it's just aaargh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In my defense, I wasn't carrying around any chem fluid and would've had to run back past Margie to get to the box to craft some, which would have caused me to take even more unavoidable damage! Which I think I say at some point before being killed by bugs. Eventually I do wisen up and craft some before making the journey.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

In my defense, I wasn't carrying around any chem fluid and would've had to run back past Margie to get to the box to craft some, which would have caused me to take even more unavoidable damage! Which I think I say at some point before being killed by bugs. Eventually I do wisen up and craft some before making the journey.

You don't need to defend yourself. You're exactly as Alan Wake wrote you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

You don't need to defend yourself. You're exactly as Alan Wake wrote you.

Oh no, it's the worst thing I could possibly have imagined! I mean, Alan!

Today Alan joins the ever-increasing arms race between man and machine and defeats a Terminator that has come back in time to sabotage his writing career by leaving bad reviews on Goodreads.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In Allan's defence, you'd expect a kidnapped victim to sound more panicked.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Since it's been established that Alan Wake is basically the author of Max Payne, wouldn't an Alan Wake/Max Payne crossover be self-insert fiction?

Seems right up Alan's alley, really.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Since his vacation started Alan has stolen like 5 or 6 cars, most of them on this most recent morning alone. Everyone in this town either leaves their doors unlocked and keys in the ignition, or Alan's is really skilled at hotwiring them for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Antistar01 posted:

Since it's been established that Alan Wake is basically the author of Max Payne, wouldn't an Alan Wake/Max Payne crossover be self-insert fiction?

Seems right up Alan's alley, really.

Alan loves to insert himself up his own alley. :marc:

• Locked thread