Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i forgot tyranny even existed until i got a popup telling me it was released. i liked p o e enough to sink in 40 odd hours into it though i didn't finish it due to running up to a frustratingly difficult fight, but the writing wasn't as good as i'd hoped. do they do anything interesting in this game with the 'you represent an evil oppressive regime' idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Absolutely, unquestionably yes, op

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like pillars of eternity a lot

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Pillars of Eternipeepee

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I only played both for about 20 minutes OP, so I'm not sure.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I played a few hours of PoE and while I could tell it was an incredible RPG it was just too involved for me. To much stuff to keep track of and think about. I enjoyed what I played though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

I played a few hours of PoE and while I could tell it was an incredible RPG it was just too involved for me. To much stuff to keep track of and think about. I enjoyed what I played though

same

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016

rediscover posted:

Tyranny took everything that was great about POE and threw away all the tedium. Great IsoRPG. Happy to see a return of the genre.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Absolutely, unquestionably yes, op

this post sold me on it and i've bene playing a few hours. seems good so far, has a real black company vibe.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
tyranny is better but grab it on a sale because it is kinda short

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Tyranny is way shorter and while there's definitely some replay value there its not like Alpha Protocol or anything.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Neurosis posted:

this post sold me on it and i've bene playing a few hours. seems good so far, has a real black company vibe.

Lol if I had known you'd be buying it based off that post I'd have gone into more detail. But basically

9foxtails posted:

Tyranny took everything that was great about POE and threw away all the tedium. Great IsoRPG. Happy to see a return of the genre.

This, plus the setting, plot, and writing in general is way more interesting than Pillars's.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's really really good and I liked it better than PoE but people are right when they say it's short cause it took me 25 hours to finish it and it ends right when the plot is going to kick in high gear. That being said if they make a sequel or expac that picks on tbe ending it'll be the best Infinity Engine game EVER.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Tyranny is great but Tyranny 2 is going to be even better.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It also needs some more expanding on the companions backstory and stuff cause they are really cool.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It also needs some more expanding on the companions backstory and stuff cause they are really cool.

I wanted a quest to try and pop Barik out of his armor.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

I wanted a quest to try and pop Barik out of his armor.

Also Siryn's hat

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Another super cool idea this game had was the background specific poo poo relating on what you did during the conquest of the Tiers. Having the resistance people being super pissed at me cause I killed their Queen with an underhanded trick and the people at the earthquake region be scared as gently caress since I was the one who brought the quakes in the first place was cool

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

obsidian? western rpgs? avoid these piles like the plague op.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i want a quest where you put fire ants in barik's armor :twisted:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lol if I had known you'd be buying it based off that post I'd have gone into more detail. But basically

This, plus the setting, plot, and writing in general is way more interesting than Pillars's.

tbh i was probably going to do it anyway because i am a huge mark for black isle/troika/obsidian games. i am looking forward to torment tides of numenera a fuckton, i dicked around in the alpha and it is clearly in the tradition of torment while having its own feel and there are a real lack of dying earth type videogames.

Mad Wack posted:

i want a quest where you put fire ants in barik's armor :twisted:

would not have surprised me at all given the dialogue tree allows you to get him to admit he's tried jerking it through his armour (to no relief) and that he just shits himself in there all the time.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Another super cool idea this game had was the background specific poo poo relating on what you did during the conquest of the Tiers. Having the resistance people being super pissed at me cause I killed their Queen with an underhanded trick and the people at the earthquake region be scared as gently caress since I was the one who brought the quakes in the first place was cool

yeah nice spoilers, thanks

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah nice spoilers, thanks

He's describing choices you make in character creation, before you even have control of your character.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I liked PoE but I didn't have the energy to finish the DLC stuff. I think I'll get Tyranny on sale. Thanks for the thread

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

He's describing choices you make in character creation, before you even have control of your character.

It sounds like poo poo that you encounter later in the game, and that he's spoiling how your pre-game choices turn out then.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I'm sold. Gonna buy it once I finish FF15

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

im sorry

that actually sounds cool then, yeah

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

im sorry

that actually sounds cool then, yeah

Yeah it's pretty sweet. The last step of character creation is like a CYOA where you decide where your character was and what they were doing when the occupied land the game takes place in was being conquered and it has all kinds of changes to your relationship with other factions and tons of unique dialogue and sometimes even really dramatic changes like completely adjusting the geometry of a level or changing which quests are available. It's badass

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Basically imagine if the long, complex backstory you can make for your character in the first conversation in Pillars actually meant anything or was ever referenced again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wormskull posted:

It sounds like poo poo that you encounter later in the game, and that he's spoiling how your pre-game choices turn out then.

The queenslayer background is mentioned on the first hostile NPC encounter you meet

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I've reached the point where I can't be loving bothered to read all the stupid crap they put in these games. Every time I meet some yahoo and he starts telling me his life story or a piece of ancient history my brain just shuts down.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The combat is worse in just about every way but combat is boring anyway. It's a much more interesting concept. Sometimes the writing is really noticeably bad.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

I've reached the point where I can't be loving bothered to read all the stupid crap they put in these games. Every time I meet some yahoo and he starts telling me his life story or a piece of ancient history my brain just shuts down.

Same.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's he thing that sucks about CRPGs IMO. If the combat and writing are both mediocre there's basically no reason to play it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Neurosis posted:

i forgot tyranny even existed until i got a popup telling me it was released. i liked p o e enough to sink in 40 odd hours into it though i didn't finish it due to running up to a frustratingly difficult fight, but the writing wasn't as good as i'd hoped. do they do anything interesting in this game with the 'you represent an evil oppressive regime' idea?

Larry Parrish posted:

there's basically no reason to play it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I found the writing to be good

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm enjoying Pillars of Eternity but I feel like they need an editor to trim the fat, especially in the big city. I'm all stocked up on quests where I help some dirt farmer find his family ring or something, thanks. Same with Witcher 3. Cut the most boring 30-50% of the content and both games would probably be a lot better. Even having the bad stuff be optional doesn't really work, because you don't know if a quest is going to be dumb or not until you do it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst is when a dumb quest has a badass reward but here's no way to tell from the first step if it's good or not.

Basically all the quests outside the main one should be like in BG2 where they all give you badass rewards. Like the one to kill the Lich in the first city that gives you a staff that makes you invisible.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

The worst is when a dumb quest has a badass reward but here's no way to tell from the first step if it's good or not.

Basically all the quests outside the main one should be like in BG2 where they all give you badass rewards. Like the one to kill the Lich in the first city that gives you a staff that makes you invisible.

It's a bit unfair to normal games to compare them with Baldur's Gate 2 imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Basically imagine if the long, complex backstory you can make for your character in the first conversation in Pillars actually meant anything or was ever referenced again.

My favorite thing about Pillars (and I loved the poo poo out of that game) is a line at the very end of the game that only shows up if you pick an incredibly specific background.

If you pick the philosopher background, and then define yourself as a nihilist in the conversation with Calisca, when you're told the gods aren't real you can say "I KNEW IT!"

Overall though I agree, that stuff should have had more of an impact.

• Locked thread