Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

My favorite thing about Pillars (and I loved the poo poo out of that game) is a line at the very end of the game that only shows up if you pick an incredibly specific background.

If you pick the philosopher background, and then define yourself as a nihilist in the conversation with Calisca, when you're told the gods aren't real you can say "I KNEW IT!"

Overall though I agree, that stuff should have had more of an impact.
It can kinda go the other way though like in Mass Effect where they bring up some random choice you made at character creation a few too many times despite you never having ever experienced it.

"THIS ISN'T LIKE WHEN YOUR TEAM GOT WIPED OUT SHEP. YOU HAVE TO GET OVER THAT. MOVE PAST IT."
"yeah okay man don't worry I have blue rep for days"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

The worst is when a dumb quest has a badass reward but here's no way to tell from the first step if it's good or not.

Basically all the quests outside the main one should be like in BG2 where they all give you badass rewards. Like the one to kill the Lich in the first city that gives you a staff that makes you invisible.

Wait which one was that? Because there was no way you killed Kangaxx on your first visit to Athkatla unless I'm misremembering

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Foxhound posted:

Wait which one was that? Because there was no way you killed Kangaxx on your first visit to Athkatla unless I'm misremembering

twisted :twisted: rune iirc. though you'd have to be seriously game-y with traps/protection from magic scrolls to kill the fighters + high level mage + beholder + vampire + rich i think.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foxhound posted:

The first time I beat BG2 when I was 12 I played a wizard and shamelessly spammed rest. It's very possible to do it if you spam rest. I did it like 3 years ago? with only 3 rests but it was very hard and not very interesting either. I got literally all the XP I possibly could without continuing the main quest

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

That's probably one of the most memorable parts in that game for me because when I was a kid I loved Dragonlance and there are some characters from Krynn (Knights of Solamnia) trapped in the planar sphere. They talk about the bloodthirsty halflings that you have to fight in there, which is funny because hobbits don't exist on Krynn, meaning that these people who have never seen a halfling before must think that they are a race of savage cannibal midgets.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

twisted :twisted: rune iirc. though you'd have to be seriously game-y with traps/protection from magic scrolls to kill the fighters + high level mage + beholder + vampire + rich i think.

oh gently caress, first time I encountered TR was completely by accident. Nice door wonder where it lea-:unsmigghh:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ragg posted:

Sometimes the writing is really noticeably bad.

i haven't noticed this.

also gently caress kangaxx and his gay imprison poo poo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Tyranny is good but for mostly different reasons than Pillars.

Tyranny has a much more interesting world and storyline I find, but the streamlined companions and main character do mean less combat variety. Pillars has a much larger variety of character builds and that applies to companions as well. I also find a lot of the Pillars companions somewhat better characters whereas most Tyranny characters are mouthpieces for their factions.

That being said, Tyranny has much much tighter encounter design with less trash mob fights. It also brings back the necessity of pre-combat buffing on harder difficulties, which I like Pillars for excluding.

Overall I like Tyranny better but it's not by a HUGE margin.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

The class variety in pillars was wasted unless you played through the game more than once though, so that seems OK

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Personally, I like to rotate people through my party, so I like having all the different classes. I have couple custom guys to mix in with the NPC companions, too. It works pretty well even on PotD

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

extremely steampunk posted:

The class variety in pillars was wasted unless you played through the game more than once though, so that seems OK

Yes it was.

At the same time Tyranny encourages multiple playthroughs yet you have less variety in classes. It's odd design.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
p o e had some bland dialogue but there's some pretty funny poo poo in this game. try lantry's inks. 'gently caress YOU I AM THE LAW.' Also anything around bodily functions and Barik.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
http://tinyurl.com/j9ypxa7
lol

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 11, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Neurosis posted:

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...y=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black
lol

Fail

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

This resurgence in text rpgs makes me appreciate the ones with voice acting. Really helps the writers get to the drat point and avoid a lot of unneeded worldbuilding by exposotion when done well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Agean90 posted:

This resurgence in text rpgs makes me appreciate the ones with voice acting. Really helps the writers get to the drat point and avoid a lot of unneeded worldbuilding by exposotion when done well.

I agree Bioware games are really better than Absurdian piles

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I agree Bioware games are really better than Absurdian piles

When you have to hear parts of a badly written video game plot, it's better to have the concision of a voice acted line, as in a Bioware or Bethesda title, IMO.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The bullshit thing about games like this is that in order to make informed RP decisions you have to read a bunch of stupid novels that every single character wants to recite to you even though no real person talks like that. At least in a Elder Scrolls game you can just read a bunch of books if you really want to be certain about poo poo, or in Bioware games there's a codex. And all the other stuff is just people talking at least a little bit like real people and say enough that even if you don't want to be a big philosopher about your Choices you can get a sense of what's up.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

When you have to hear parts of a badly written video game plot, it's better to have the concision of a voice acted line, as in a Bioware or Bethesda title, IMO.

Bethesda is so bad and also the voice acting is so bad that it's way worse than anything.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

Bethesda is so bad and also the voice acting is so bad that it's way worse than anything.

Lmao fine.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

IMO if you want to say that much poo poo just make a JRPG or something where the player doesn't have to make many dialogue choices.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don't mind the stuff in the normal course of gameplay but yeah the bits where you talk to your companions and they all have like 8 dialogue choices that each lead to another 8 and each one is a multi paragraph essay can get old fast. I like Tyranny's writing and companions and stuff so I don't mind it in this game in particular but Pillars had really uninteresting companions in an uninteresting plot in an uninteresting world so I just gave up talking to my companions after the first couple because after a while my eyes would just start sliding off the screen.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ragg posted:

Bethesda is so rad and also the voice acting is so rad that it's way cooler than anything.

ftfy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Try playing The Age of Decadence OP.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm enjoying Tyranny and I love the way Barik and Verse snipe at each other.

I also enjoy Pillars and not just because I paid way too much to their Kickstarter back when it happened.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It's the best CRPG ever made.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm enjoying Tyranny and I love the way Barik and Verse snipe at each other.

I think the fact that all your companions are pretty much constantly spoiling to kill at least one other member of your party and would all slaughter each other happily if you hadn't brought them to heel is a big part of why the companion writing is so good.

Also the way that they'll butt into your conversations with other party members.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

you can read faster than you listen. written words? basically pictures. what are pictures? they're made of light. what is the spoken voice? a sound. does sound travel faster than light? no. qed.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

that said anyone who reads rpg plots is a goddamn fucktard

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

you can read faster than you listen. written words? basically pictures. what are pictures? they're made of light. what is the spoken voice? a sound. does sound travel faster than light? no. qed.

But there's less to read when they have to pay assclowns to read the words.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

But there's less to read when they have to pay assclowns to read the words.

my solution is to not play wrpgs from the past 20 years :dukedog:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm the guy who turns on subtitles and then just reads those and mashes the next button as soon as I have so the voice acting is just "the enemy is--we have--I can't--" so they're all written games to me

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

i still gotta check that out. i havnt even watched a stream or anything but it sounds really cool

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Personally, I like to rotate people through my party, so I like having all the different classes. I have couple custom guys to mix in with the NPC companions, too. It works pretty well even on PotD

I did that too but once I got a party composition that meshed well I just stuck with it and only rotated NPCs out to complete their story arcs

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I'm the guy who turns on subtitles and then just reads those and mashes the next button as soon as I have so the voice acting is just "the enemy is--we have--I can't--" so they're all written games to me

i think youd be insane to play an aids voice acted weatern rpg any other way

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

i like to rotate complex 3d objects in my mind as i do it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

I do that too, unless the game is good and has cool voice acting and I'm immersed in it or w/e.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

mysterious loyall X posted:

my solution is to not play wrpgs from the past 20 years :dukedog:

Check out Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game some time.

• Locked thread