Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Gotham knights is already 50% off during the steam winter sale lol

That sucks for there maybe being a sequel that fixes the problems, but good news for anyone who wants to play a videogame where they are one of the four main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

Gotham knights is already 50% off during the steam winter sale lol

Also 50% on Playstation.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is it actually poo poo or just flawed and a victim of hype

(I'm actually asking, not trying to be contrarian)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I believe that it's closer to the second, rather than the first.

It's largest sin is that it's a Batman game, made by the Arkham team, but it is not a Batman Arkham game, if that makes sense.

It's story is not as long as the other Arkham games, but there is an emphasis on replay and grinding for better loot/cosmetics. There are 4 characters to play as, but they are very similar in feel.

I think for 50% off it's probably a good deal seeing as how it only came out a few months ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Not necessarily made by the Arkham team. If that can be said to even still exist after all these years. It was made by the studio that did Arkham Origins IIRC.

If it had pulled off a smoother frame rate when out patrolling I think it would have been reviewed a lot better but unfortunately when you're on PC or PS5 you expect a lot better performance and it doesn't deliver.

But I did enjoy the game a lot. It has some puzzling decisions when it comes to the loot system but ultimately, the combat and co-op is pretty drat fun. Characterization is great, story is pretty good, if not short.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I really enjoyed it if it counts for anything. It also helps that this has the best actual family feel to the Batfamily. Like the historic
Place entry about how the pizza place was important to Bruce because it was Dick's favourite and he loved going there because he went there with a dick all time sells the love.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

There are certain titles that are good in the broad sense but not necessarily "pay full MSRP and put up with launch-window issues" good

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I thought it was fun, but Pokemon and Midnight Suns just crushed any desire to play it past the end of the main story.

The multiplayer was a great addition. Hopefully the half off sale brings more people to the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Got Gotham Knights but had to return it. It was okay but the game kept crashing when I tried to use the Batcycle (as opposed to me crashing, which is fine) and I just didn't like it that much to try and sort out that and some other technical issues I was having with it.

If it had Cass I would have kept it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Which is kinda funny since Batgirl is the only character not trash.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

I made a few posts about it in the steam thread. I'm not gonna post all that text here but I will re-share the Red Hood mp4s

https://i.imgur.com/H2lMOwZ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/mv5hIdX.mp4

tl;dr on all my posting is if you like beat em ups and you have a friend to play it with it's absolutely worth $25 on greenmangaming. I didn't know anything about Red Hood before playing this game but I liked him a lot so now I'm curious.

I didn't compare Gotham Knights to Arkham because I only finished Asylum and it was so long ago I don't remember or care. I'm starting New Game+ with my co-op friend now but we're both cruising through the content since our characters are so buff now.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 26, 2022

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Nthing the "it's fun, but don't pay full price" recs. the heroic assault mode is cool but higher levels definitely benefit from having pals

Mr Hootington posted:

Which is kinda funny since Batgirl is the only character not trash.

this is true early on but once you get some levels they all open up (batgirl lags behind once enemies learn to dodge imo); I think Robin is probably the most versatile by the end of it

edit I think Batgirl has the more satisfying story beats though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Are the others as brutal as Red Hood?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

No. There's even an exchange where Tim tells Jason to ease up on the increasingly lethal nonlethal rounds

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scuba Trooper posted:

Nthing the "it's fun, but don't pay full price" recs. the heroic assault mode is cool but higher levels definitely benefit from having pals

this is true early on but once you get some levels they all open up (batgirl lags behind once enemies learn to dodge imo); I think Robin is probably the most versatile by the end of it

edit I think Batgirl has the more satisfying story beats though.

So much about who's good depends on your build. I was having trouble mid-game with Batgirl as enemy difficulty ramped up but now post-game, when enemies are at their most difficult, she's the most fun she's ever been because I'll get lots of Momentum or proc Elemental effects on anyone.

And Robin is definitely awesome. I mostly play either Robin or Batgirl. Red Hood is good for getting through missions since he can melt enemies but it gets kind of boring. Nightwing is fun in co-op as a breakdancing support character. Everyone is so much better when a good Nightwing is in the group.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm not a good nightwing. Wish I was because he has the best talon suit

I've built my batgirl for crit but I should do elements instead because while she hits like a truck, my Robin constantly freezes and burns mooks which gives me a lot of breathing room on the more onerous tower missions

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I basically only played Nightwing, but I'm kinda curious what the only characters play like when you have actual experience with their kit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My favourite build with Batgirl is a Thrillseeker Freeze combo. I do Heavy attacks as much as I want, which are mostly uninterruptible with that skill unlocked, and as enemies bring my health down the Thrillseeker gives me all Momentum bars full. Then I can bust out a couple of her ground slams in a row for insane damage and freezing to destroy a whole group around me. Which not only heals me from the KOs but one perk on my gear also heals on Ability use. If maybe I gamble and lose too much health, she has 2 revives.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
While I do not like the Jokerification of Harley, I'mtoo invested in antihero harley from other media, I do gotta say I dig her costume in that hospital mission.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Harley was handled so badly it's like nobody knew what they were doing with her. They talk about how she's turned over a new leaf and was even helping Batman, then in the game she goes full on villain without any reason given.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I beat Gotham Knights with Babs, that was a cute story. Aside from the thing with Harley, I had no problems with the game. The loot system can be a bit annoying if you forget to upgrade after patrolling in the early game. Enemies will go from being taken out in three or four hits to needing dozens and not even falling to your skills, but upgrading to level appropriate gear puts things back to normal. Gonna try another run as Jason.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yeah, honestly Gotham Knights is a solid game. It's not going to blow any doors off but it's fine and if you have friends, co-op is very fun.

Also quite honestly, I'm thankful for how short it is. There's a bunch of artificial lengtheners and collectathons but in the end, it was definitely better than I had feared.

The gear system could've definitely used another pass though. I beat the game and then some and I still couldn't tell you just by looking whether I was picking up a mod or a blueprint.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RevKrule posted:

Yeah, honestly Gotham Knights is a solid game. It's not going to blow any doors off but it's fine and if you have friends, co-op is very fun.

Also quite honestly, I'm thankful for how short it is. There's a bunch of artificial lengtheners and collectathons but in the end, it was definitely better than I had feared.

The gear system could've definitely used another pass though. I beat the game and then some and I still couldn't tell you just by looking whether I was picking up a mod or a blueprint.

I definitely agree. Open world games these days are all bloated as hell, even the ones I like could stand to be cut down by like 40%. Gotham Knights actually being a reasonable length is one of its best features.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gotham Knights is $22.50 on the Epic store right now, by the way. An extra 25% off coupon is added automatically when you add it to cart.

Midnight Suns is $35.50 on GMG.

Those are both historical lows apparently.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not hard to hit historical lows when they both came out two months ago

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gotham knights is a solid foundation for another batfamily game, I had fun with it other than that weird scavenger hunt side quest.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

It's only now that I'm joining heroic assault games where lunatics have cranked up the difficulty that I've started paying attention to my gear beyond "looks cool" and "freezes people sometimes"

But "looks cool" will always come first

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually fine with all the side quests in both GK and MS, because they're entierly optional. I took a bit over 30 nights on my first pass of Gotham Knights because I would just go out and clear all the premeditated crimes, all the pop up crimes, run out of health packs and head back to the belfrey. Once I hit 30 and realized I wasn't getting levels anymore, I beelined the story and finished quick. With Midnight Suns, I did a lot of non-story missions to build freindship or get resoueces, but it was all voluntary. When I decided to focus on the story, it went really quick.

This is good open world design to me, none of this ever felt mandatory like in Zero Dawn or God of War or Spider-Man. Some things could be cut in knights, the book pages most def. Have either batarangs or plaques, not both. But the travel challenges were fine. The silly loot parkour was fine.

With Midnight suns, streamlining the abby activities would be great. Having to navigate menues and hope to remember what cards i need when I pop open a coil, which takes entierly too long and then go to a whole different section to upgrade the cards I do get? Not being able to mass delete.

Anyways, wherever Dark Tznimnince is, I hope that little pervert got this game became Red Hood is real fun.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is MS a free-roaming game too? ..I still haven't played it yet. Been playing a lot of Phasmophobia and Gotham Knights.

Oh I bought Sonic Frontiers too and haven't played it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is MS a free-roaming game too? ..I still haven't played it yet. Been playing a lot of Phasmophobia and Gotham Knights.

Sort of. The missions are in like a room wide area but there's an open area around the Suns' base that you can explore and continues to open up further the further in the game are open.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh I bought Sonic Frontiers too and haven't played it.

Yeah it's not free roaming, but only story missions advance the plot, so if you don't want to move forward, you can pick from any of the missions available in the mission select table that aren't labeled "story"

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Midnight Suns is weird and like 2 different games slammed together in one (in a good way). On the one hand you have the Abbey which you spend time interacting with characters and exploring and doing side quests for items, friendship and lore. On the other hand you have combat which is only accessible from the table and like a totally different game in and of itself.

I've been really digging it for the past couple weeks. I like the Day/Night loop but some days I wish I could just craft and build friendship without having to do a mission to advance the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oof, time trials were a big mistake in a game with controls this sloppy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It's a little old, but the 2D Scott Pilgrim game just released on Steam for $5 with the DLC characters included.

It's an old favorite of mine from a few years back, but if you like beat em ups it's one of the best
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2215260/Scott_Pilgrim_vs_The_World_The_Game__Complete_Edition/

ED: On closer inspection controller support requires turning off steam overlay, and playing at all has the lovely Ubisoft Connect garbage to wade through. Buyer beware, I guess. If you can deal with that bullshit, there is an excellent game buried in there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gotham Knights:

I'm in new game plus and trying to get Nth Metal to craft legendaries. Every post and youtube tip I see says do Very Hard criminal deals, but I've never gotten a drop from any of these, only when turning in my penguin challenges. That gets me like 25-50 pieces when I need hundreds to thousands of the poo poo to make a single item. Any tips? Everything I see is from a few months ago so I'm wondering if a patch changed things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

Gotham Knights:

I'm in new game plus and trying to get Nth Metal to craft legendaries. Every post and youtube tip I see says do Very Hard criminal deals, but I've never gotten a drop from any of these, only when turning in my penguin challenges. That gets me like 25-50 pieces when I need hundreds to thousands of the poo poo to make a single item. Any tips? Everything I see is from a few months ago so I'm wondering if a patch changed things.

Showdowns and Heroic Assault are the best way now. Beating Talia gives a couple thousand IIRC. Although those battles are tougher so having a good build or a friend to help is crucial. For each floor of HA there will be a list of possible rewards. Higher floors are best as you'd expect. Make sure to open as many chests as you can.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo. PS5 name is soonmot I'm lvl 40 in newgame+

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd recommend trying out the first floors yourself. The basics of the levels don't really change as you progress, just the difficulty of the enemies. Good to get the lay of the land before things start getting more intense or even before they get rushed with other people. Level 30 is the only that's truly unique. Heroic Assault is built so that you can start it without being max level. I was maxed out when I started so it wasn't really a challenge until maybe halfway as enemy levels caught up to me.

Once you get the gist then you can join a public game and if they're doing level 30 runs then just focus on staying alive and contributing where you can :)

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

heroic assault for sure. I actually ran out of the basic white materials while I was drowning in Nth metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah I have enough that I don't think twice about rerolling the same blueprint until I get the upgraded version.