Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've wanted an open world punisher game since fuckin GTA 3 and it's crazy no one has made one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've wanted an open world punisher game since fuckin GTA 3 and it's crazy no one has made one yet.

Yeah that seems like a no brainer but you'd have to add some element to it that makes it "The Punisher" rather than just another GTA clone. I'd picture something more along the lines of Splinter Cell or MGS than GTA but something that that uses different gangs and corrupt cops taking over areas of a city I could see. It would have to more tactical than GTA and involve more stealth and sniping and poo poo.

I heard decent things about the PS2 Punisher game but most of it was just about all the crazy ways you could murder and torture people so I never checked it out since all I could think of was Manhunt and I didn't like that game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im sure disney would be thrilled with all the uploaded videos of a character they own gunning down civilians with an m60 trying to get a 5star so they can shoot cops and the military

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

im sure disney would be thrilled with all the uploaded videos of a character they own gunning down civilians with an m60 trying to get a 5star so they can shoot cops and the military

A properly done Punisher game wouldn't let you kill civilians or cops.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yes if theres one thing gta and its clones are known for its not being buggy or having easily abused targeting and explosion systems

i guess you could try building a city entirely devoid of any cops or civvies, but the feels like it would be fairly empty and boring

site fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 16, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

yes if theres one thing gta and its clones are known for its not being buggy or having easily abused targeting and explosion systems

i guess you could try building a city entirely devoid of any cops or civvies, but the feels like it would be fairly empty and boring

I mean... or civilians just don't take damage? Unless you're arguing "but Disney wouldn't let the bad guys hurt people either!!" which is easily disproven by the vast number of Disney games which say the opposite.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

At the very least, there shouldn't be gameplay mechanics that encourage it. There was a racing game a long time ago where you raced through city streets and all the people milling around were programmed to be olympic level gymnasts who would "always" dodge your car if you tried to hit them. I think you could get it so you could hit them, but nothing happened, you just drove through them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

I mean... or civilians just don't take damage? Unless you're arguing "but Disney wouldn't let the bad guys hurt people either!!" which is easily disproven by the vast number of Disney games which say the opposite.

i dont know where you conjured the second part from, but for the first i cant imagine any gta clone where you are gunning down bad guys and shooting grenades down the block wouldnt look stupid as hell and pretty jarring if civilians just run into gunfire and are entirely unphased

like, people thought the batmobile running people over and not killing them was ludicrous enough, its gonna take a lot of suspending disbelief to have those sort of mechanics in a murder sim

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

i dont know where you conjured the second part from, but for the first i cant imagine any gta clone where you are gunning down bad guys and shooting grenades down the block wouldnt look stupid as hell and pretty jarring if civilians just run into gunfire and are entirely unphased

like, people thought the batmobile running people over and not killing them was ludicrous enough, its gonna take a lot of suspending disbelief to have those sort of mechanics in a murder sim

I mean that is literally a common thing in video games, where they disable your gun when pointing at an NPC you're not allowed to hit and said NPC's response to explosions/etc is to flinch/cower/run instead of dying.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yes, and going back to my previous post a concern of mine is that despite those locks generally gta clones are buggy to the point where they are easily broken/abused and only useful in a superficial way and given how lovely disney license games usually are i am not under the assumption this would be an exception

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Green Lantern - I don't know how the gently caress you could pull this off since his power is literally "can create anything" so the problem is how do you map that concept to a controller? Maybe you start off a little green (heh) and have to unlock more powers as you go and then have each level be context sensitive in a way that changes the poo poo the ring does in different ways depending on the mission to where the game controls a lot of it. You could play as several other Lanterns on a bunch of weird No Mans Sky or Outer Worlds planets and maybe crib from Mass Effect or Deus Ex and how they handled powers and skills. Obviously each mission is on a 24 hour time limit.

I think the Wonderful 101 is basically a GL game. I mean, no one can fly, but beating up enemies by forming a bunch of weapons and other crazy poo poo? That's GL, baby.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't really get the open world appeal for Punisher. He doesn't have any interesting traversal gameplay and he's a character who's more about planned missions than roaming around finding robbers to perforate.

He works better with regular levels that can be meticulously designed and balanced for gunplay and setting traps and environmental attacks. I never played it but the PS2 game seems like it had the right idea.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
A "proper" modern Punisher game would be basically the same as Hitman, except the emphasis is on making sure there won't be any civilian casualties. You study, infiltrate, evac noncombatants, and then go after everyone left in the building with a giant gently caress-off machine gun.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm kind of baffled that there is no game that is just Hitman x GTA. I like Hitman conceptually but a lot of times the missions are just too deliberately paced, and GTA on other hand has needed an injection of dynamism into the way it's missions play out for a long rear end time. I get that those guys like recreating movie stuff, but it's kind of making a waste of the whole "sandbox" concept.

Hell, you could even throw some Mordor in there by having the security for your targets get upgraded depending on how you perform.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm kind of baffled that there is no game that is just Hitman x GTA. I like Hitman conceptually but a lot of times the missions are just too deliberately paced, and GTA on other hand has needed an injection of dynamism into the way it's missions play out for a long rear end time. I get that those guys like recreating movie stuff, but it's kind of making a waste of the whole "sandbox" concept.

Hell, you could even throw some Mordor in there by having the security for your targets get upgraded depending on how you perform.

Saints Row, and probably GTA itself I'd think, has assassination side missions.

Many are setup so that there's a gimmick you can use, but you can also just use anything in the game.

There's also Assassin's Creed of course.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Punisher would be best with a small open world, and a single night mission. Basically Arkham City but with very different combat.
Hell make it a defenders game with MK, Luke Cage, etc game play similar to how the Arkham games added in night wing and others

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah that seems like a no brainer but you'd have to add some element to it that makes it "The Punisher" rather than just another GTA clone. I'd picture something more along the lines of Splinter Cell or MGS than GTA but something that that uses different gangs and corrupt cops taking over areas of a city I could see. It would have to more tactical than GTA and involve more stealth and sniping and poo poo.

I heard decent things about the PS2 Punisher game but most of it was just about all the crazy ways you could murder and torture people so I never checked it out since all I could think of was Manhunt and I didn't like that game.

It’s kind of a Max Payneish, dive and shoot. I haven’t played it since high school, but I had a ton of fun with it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Hitman/Punisher approach sounds like a pretty good idea actually but you'd need more cover based shootouts and tactical gunfire. The whole idea with Hitman is not being seen and being subtle. When I think Punisher I think some of that but also several instances of total mayhem.

Maybe do the Hitman approach with getting in but then having to shoot your way out. Which, to be fair, some Hitman levels do turn into if you gently caress up enough but that's not the general idea behind the missions.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

For a Punisher game rip off Raid/Dredd. Frank goes to a building but it’s a trap by the kingpin or whoever and the whole place is flooded with bad guys. Make it semi open world within the building or more of a Castlevania approach where you build a larger and larger arsenal.
So Arkham Asylum rather than City I guess

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not an expert, but from what I remember he doesn't start a ton of fire fights in populated areas anyways.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Punisher game will take place entirely in the warehouse district, after hours.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm kind of baffled that there is no game that is just Hitman x GTA. I like Hitman conceptually but a lot of times the missions are just too deliberately paced, and GTA on other hand has needed an injection of dynamism into the way it's missions play out for a long rear end time.

It's because the two gameplay models are basically opposites.

Hitman levels are very carefully constructed to allow for multiple possible approaches, all of which were at least partially anticipated by the designer. The GTA model of open-world game--see also the Ubisoft model--is very carelessly constructed, because the goal is specifically to create unplanned, dynamic events.

(In general, Hitman makes more sense if you consider that most of the time, it's a puzzle game with action sequences as a sort of failure state.)

To blend the two approaches, you'd basically be talking about making a Hitman game set in a single city-wide level with a potential for random events, which is not going to be something you could realistically achieve within a decent time frame in a standard working environment. That's the kind of project you kick down the road until you can tell your network of slave AIs to "make it that way."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BiggerBoat posted:

Moon Knight - I just love MK so give me an Arkham game with him with more brutal combat, some torture elements and maybe add some levels with the alter egos where you have to drive a cab for a little bit or sneak around as Marc Spector at some big corporate party or a bad guy's mansion. You could do some cool levels with Egyptian tombs and werewolves and poo poo. I dunno.

What the gently caress?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

What the gently caress?

Punisher had em.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Oh, well if the Punisher did it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You wouldn't want to do something morally ambiguous in a video game about a morally ambiguous character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean to be fair the Batman games have torture elements. Remember crushing the guy under the Batmobile wheel?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be fair the Batman games have torture elements. Remember crushing the guy under the Batmobile wheel?

Yeah, modern gritty Batman sort of makes Moon Knight's "what if Batman was a psychopath" stuff less compelling.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sometimes you need to shove a dude head first into a piranha tank in a video game, and that's okay.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Everybody has a different line I guess, all of that feels like the opposite of fun or tasteful to me. Although I hate it when characters do that kind of poo poo in the comics too, which I'm aware is something of an arbitrary distinction when I'm all in on punches and kicks and all that but it is what it is.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I know this is stretching it on the comic books reference, but I want a Half-Twisted Metal Half-Fortnite/CoD style Transfomers game.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Lurdiak posted:

You wouldn't want to do something morally ambiguous in a video game about a morally ambiguous character.

Yes, please give me a videogame where instead of fast paced combat I have to mash X to torture somebody. Sounds fun as hell.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jagermonster posted:

Yes, please give me a videogame where instead of fast paced combat I have to mash X to torture somebody. Sounds fun as hell.

Man I hated that Trevor section in gta v (and Trevor in general). I also hated "No Russian" from cod mw2. I guess Batman does do some terrible stuff over Arkham trilogy but my mind just glosses over it because Batman.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"You must do this bad thing to proceed in the video game that we want you to buy and play"

"Okay."

"How dare you do the bad thing, this is morally complex."

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, Spec Ops kicked rear end

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jagermonster posted:

Worked in Bayonetta.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

To veer off this, I would personally like a Damage Control game that's like a more PG/PG-13 Viscera Cleanup Detail, having to clean up after the big super-battles are already over.

Failing that, an Xcom-like where you command SHIELD mooks, just starting out with regular soldier-mans but quickly upgrading them with cybernetics/vibranium gadgets//some kinda magic stuff/other comic-booky things.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A strategy game where you play as Doctor Doom controlling your dozens of Doombots as they set up an elaborate plan that will finally best that blasted Richards.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crowetron posted:

A strategy game where you play as Doctor Doom controlling your dozens of Doombots as they set up an elaborate plan that will finally best that blasted Richards.

Are all the plans launching the Baxter Building into space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Crowetron posted:

no one controls doom!!! :argh: