Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

That does sound more like DC...

No it doesn't, the victim still has both their arms attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Disappointed they didn't code in an easter egg where Jax repeats it with the lower set of arms.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

People worrying about continuity in a fighting game series in this thread.

It's the Black Canary Dr Fate sent to a different universe in the comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is on sale on the PS4 store.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Origins should have been set further in the past, because ol' Bruce goes through three Robins and a Batgirl in the course of 10 years and that's not a good look.

That's essentially what they did with New 52 Batman in the comics, except it's 4 Robins and a Batgirl in half the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

And two of the Batgirls who were there before the last Robin were removed and only added in later with new backstories.

That's a whole other thing, I'm complaining about how at the start of New 52 it's established that Batman has been Batmaning for 5 years and he's had 4 Robins, one of which died and was brought back to life and now shoots people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Also, Miss Marvel? Uh there ain't no ring on there buddy.

It's Ms. Marvel and it's always been Ms. Marvel for very specific reasons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ms. Can be used to describe both married and unmarried women, that's the point of the phrase.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Green Arrow died and came back in the normal comics too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sesq posted:

It does seem a little telling that none of those books are X-books. However, Hawkeye stars Bishop, not Barton. Wouldn't they want to do Occupy Avengers or something instead?

Maybe they're going to use Bishop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Between Mr. Negative being the main villain and Miles Morales being a side character, I bet there are parts of the game where you are an evil Spider-Man, or Miles Morales Spider-Man fights an evil Spider-Man

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hup posted:

I never meant for this to happen. Tell my wife I loved her.

I'm not talking to an anime body pillow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'll buy the game once there's Wolverine DLC (Laura, not Logan).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Would you want their movesets to just be the same as they were in MVC3 (when they were X-23 and Wolverine) or would you want them both to have new, unique ones.

It should be Wolverine (Laura), Weapon X (Logan with the weird head gear) and Old Man Logan (Old Man Logan), similar movesets, but enough difference that it matters which one you pick. There should be a bigger difference than Ken and Ryu have in any game they're both in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You could read the article.

Or look at the photo in the tweet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You can level up any and all heroes to level 10 and they give you enough free money to pick whichever one you want to continue to level up. I haven't played enough to figure out how hard it is to get more heroes to higher levels, but it didn't seem super stingy with money (this was on PS4).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

By rights, I would've expected every video game platform to basically be Steam at this point, but no one's ready to sink the physical media market just yet.

There's still enough chunks of North America with lovely enough connections that you'd lose a small but still part of the market if you ditch physical entirely. Plus doesn't Canadian internet still have lovely monthly caps on data? The demo for the new Gran Turismo game is 43 gigs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OptimusShr posted:

How in the gently caress is a demo 43 gigs? :psyduck:

Keep in mind, PS4s shipped with a 500 gig hard drive (don't remember if the new upgraded ones have a bigger hard drive or not) and even if you own games on disc it has to install to play it so you don't save storage space, you just don't have to depend on bandwidth or connection stability to re-install games and you can resell them.

That's like 10-12 games max you can switch between without spending an afternoon deleting and installing things, on a console released 4 years ago. And that's not including DLC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also, most people who buy a game will never fight the final boss. Looking at my Steam library, I've beaten 11 out of 145. probably half the games I own are just things I bought on a whim because it was less than 5 bucks in a sale, but there's at least 30-40 games on there I've played for more than a few hours and haven't beaten out of boredom or distraction or difficulty. So that's a lot of extra work for content most people will never see, that's part of the reason many games are hella front loaded in the quality of their content.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The go-to number in games development, due to the current prevalence of achievement systems, is 30%. When you release a game, it must be with the knowledge that an average of 70% of your end users will not play it for long enough to complete it, in whatever form that completion takes.

It's actually a little disquieting if you look at similar statistics. A lot of players also mash buttons to get into a game as quickly as possible, so a lot of games get played with the first default customization profile, or whichever main character is the first one you can select. 80% of Mass Effect players use the default white male Shepard.

I know a good chunk will just go with the default no matter what, but I wonder how much that 80% would change by if the default Shepard wasn't a white male. There was a multiplayer survival game that in alpha you could only be a bald white dude, but an update made it so you could also be a bald black dude, but you couldn't actually choose, you were just randomly assigned one or the other and stuck with that forever. A lot of people complained about being forced to be a black guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Lego Marvel Heroes 2 comes out this week, I hope its as good as the first one.

https://twitter.com/techknight/status/932673492071395328

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Make a Green Arrow game.

The open world bow genre has had some really good titles, slap some Batman grapple hooking and/or toned down Spidey-swinging in there and ship it.

In the tv show he uses his bow as a grappling hook on the reg. It'd be pretty easy to make an Arkham Asylum/City game, steal some metas from the Flash show, side missions with cameos from the rest of the CW shows.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

I'll forgive your Crash Bandicoot trash talking if somehow the new Spider-Man game lets me play Maximum Carnage between levels (it won't, and I blame you).

I think the new gimmick is hiding loading screens behind animations, like why you have to struggle to crawl through a tunnel in Tomb Raider every so often.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So, as a fun comic experience I've been reading through the old solo series of Batman's supporting cast (pre new 52) Cassandra Caine Batgirl, Nightwing, Tim Drake Robin. And I would love a game centered around one of those, you could probably even get Kevin Conroy again as Batman if it was limited to small cameos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Does anyone remember if the first Spider-Man game on the PS2 is any good? Also is the first Marvel Alliance any good?

No idea about Spider-Man, but the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance is good, if probably a bit dated at this point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

The first Spiderman game on the PS2 would have been the movie tie in for the first movie right? Think that was supposed to be pretty bad.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is going to be pretty graphically dated at this point but it's still a decent little smash em up RPG through a variety of Marvel settings and characters. It's pretty funny looking at who got selected to be playable back before the MCU became a big thing.

I think everyone who's had a movie was playable. But the initial team was based on New Avengers vol. 1 and the Bendis Secret War mini.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Thanks. Yeah the Spider-Man game was the first movie tie in and I'm sure that I've played it but I don't remember it, just saw it in a shop today for £1 ($1.30). I've never played Marvel Ultimate Alliance but I think I'd read on this forum that one of them is good and one of them is bad. I saw the first one for £2.50 ($3.20) and they're probably both worth it.

Both Ultimate Alliances are decent enough, but the first one is definitely better, and all the characters have 4 costumes instead of 2 in the sequel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ZDar Fan posted:

The Ultimate Alliance re-releases include all of the DLC characters, which is an extra incentive if you never got them the first time around like me.

It's fun playing through the game with Doom, since he's the villain of the piece the framing story is that he wins, things go horribly wrong, and so he's travelled back in time to stop himself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

As I recall, Spider-Man's had a pretty solid overall video game average. What's the worst game he's ever headlined? Right now, I'm thinking it's Arcade's Revenge on the SNES.

The Spider-Man levels were pretty good, decent wall climbing mechanics for a 2d 16 bit game. I'd say the Maximum Carnage game was worse, bog standard 2.5d beat-em up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

The Genesis Spider-Man has a fond place in my heart as my first Comic Book video game but it was pretty drat hard too, and definitely lacked the feeling of Spider-Man being Spider-Man, with him mostly walking with occasional ceiling crawling.

The TMNT style one was just weird, with Giant Venom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNqmcV_kI3k

I want to read this team-up book, that is a hell of a line-up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

There was this weird thing going on that went from the 16-bit era all the way up to the end of the PSOne where people kept making arcade-style quarter-munchers except they weren't in arcades and they didn't offer quarters. It used to drive me insane.

Death of Superman was another, I think it was made by Rare or some other developer that later had great success making games in a completely different style.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

Blizzard of all people.

That was it. I even first wrote "Blizzard" then second guessed myself and changed it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

poly and open-minded posted:

I heard someone in this thread was badmouthing Maximum Carnage and I came to put a stop to it. Also I never figured out what Morbius did in it

It's a 2.5d brawler based on a comic where Spider-Man teams up with Venom to defeat Carnage and it didn't have a co-op mode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Has there been any rumors that any other Marvel characters make an appearance? I know Avengers Tower and the Sanctom Sanctorum are visitable in the game, but does that mean Tony Stark or Dr Strange appear in the game somehow?

I know they're making a Black Cat centric DLC at some point.

I doubt you'll actually see Tony Stark of Stephen Strange in person. Black Cat is a Spider-Man character so it's not surprising she's got DLC

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I'd really love if they did something with him but considering it sounds like there's also a couple MJ levels where you're just kinda loving around as her and never do it again I'd be shocked if the best Miles could hope for was beyond a level or two of 'now you're Miles, take some pictures of this cool thing...ok go back to Spider-Man for the rest of the game again now'.

I'd love it if they went full Ultimate and Miles replaced Peter half way in or something, though.

I always thought it was dumb when they put Miles in the 616 they didn't use the 8 month jump post Secret Wars to not put Peter in a hospital for a month or two, then a month or two of him without his powers for a mysterious reason, giving a time frame that you didn't have to show in detail where Miles could get his powers and fill the gap of the missing Spider-Man, but then by the time the comics catch up Peter is healthy and mentoring him. The month or two without Spider-Powers is to explain how Peter suddenly owns a company big enough to rival Stark (he just needs to loving apply himself).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Why the hell would anyone think a Sony product would do something that risky.

This is like those people who not only believe Jar Jar is a sith lord but actually think he will show up in episode 9 as the guy behind everything.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was a playstation exclusive.

But it is a completely insane idea given the amount of advertising around the game, and especially all the alternate costumes, the fact that it would leek, if not before anyone played it, within hours of the the first person able to play it, playing it. I can't imagine any triple A game trying something like that today

Is the Spider-Punk costume pre-order exclusive? I might have to pre order depending on what my bank account looks like after I pay rent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Googling tells me none are exclusive, but but pre ordering gets you Spider-Punk (and two other ones that I would never wear because they aren't Spider-Punk) immediately instead of having to unlock it. So now I'm wavering, but slightly leaning towards pre-order.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Did you guys see the photo mode trailer? They have comic book cover backgrounds and even the little cartoony 10cents Spidey face corner you can add.

https://youtu.be/RPVCyIb6lYM

Also confirms a fight with Kingpin

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So I've never pre-ordered something on the Playstation before, what time can you typically start downloading the game? I'm on the west coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Isn't it confirmed that the black suit isn't in?

If it isn't Sony would be dumb as hell to not make it DLC when the Venom movie they're making comes out.